Martial Art's thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A thread were we specifically discuss our mutual love for all things Martial Art's related. This can include personal accomplishments, favorite practitioner's, Movie's and all other Martial Arts related genre.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jade Xu

Loading Video...

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome thread idea. I knew there were other martial artists on the Vine but it's nice to have a place to actually discuss it lol. So what styles do you guys practice?

For me I guess I'm technically an MMA guy, although Taekwondo(ITF) is probably the one with the most influence on me. I do like Kyokushin and Muay Thai too though. I've thought about improving my ground game but not sure if I should go into BJJ, Wrestling, or something else. Any opinions?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah:

I knew I couldn't be absolutely alone on here.lol. I've trained in Muay Thai, boxing, Shotokan Karate, Tangsoodo Karate, Wrestling, hung gar Kungfu, Wingchun and Aikido.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt: What's the difference between Shotokan, Kyokushin, and Tangsoodo? I'm not a Karateka for the most part so I thought I'd ask. Also Aikido is an interesting one, what's your take on it? I've heard mixed opinions.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah:

Shotokan Karate is the most traditional form from Japan. Tangsoodo Karate is the Koreanized version of Shotokan Karate left over from the Japanese occupation of Korean during WW2. They taught the Koreans Karate. Chuck Norris made Tangsoodo Karate famous. I don't really remember the exact difference with Kyokushin.

Aikido is okay if you add it to something else. I wouldn't recommend it as your primary self defense technique as it's extremely technical in terms of practical usage. Basically it's small joint manipulation whereas jujitsu is large joint manipulation..

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt: Ahh cool. I was interested in some more Japanese styles so thought I'd ask. I know that they're fond of front kick variations lol.

Yeah that's sort of how I feel about joint manipulation in general. I don't think it's entirely useless but at the same time it needs striking and groundwork to compliment it well. Then again I won't rail against Aikidoka too much considering my own art can get a bad rep at times, even though that's more because WTF is bigger than ITF in popularity(them aerials).

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb52f8f25413
deactivated-5bb52f8f25413

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My sister knows taekwondoe (is that even how you spell it idk lol)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah:

Jujitsu is joint manipulation as well (large joint). Aikido is the cousin of Jujitsu. The big difference between standard Japanese Jujitsu and Brazilian jujitsu is that Japanese Jujitsu is meant to stay on your feet. The Gracie's developed their version for ground fighting. Jujitsu and Aikido were the standard Martial Arts of the Ancient Samurai.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I only know fake wrestling.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

@jagernutt: Yeah, I did hear something once about how a lot of Aikido stuff was originally designed under Aikijutsu to counter someone with a weapon if you lost your own. Or at least I think it was Aikijutsu, it was long time ago during a conversation with my Japanese teacher so I might be remembering wrong.

So what's your favorite technique to perform? Figured I'd ask since we all have one lol.

Edit: That video was talking about nerve strikes, those hurt like a ***** but they aren't as bad as people think, at least they didn't paralyze me. Still hurt though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah:

If nothing else at all for the sake of self defense? Id say learn boxing or Muay Thai. Boxing and Muay Thai are more of the fast track to effective self defense. I would say Karate but that is more technical than the other two.

Personally boxing and Muay Thai and Wrestling.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan:

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FullMetalEmprah

@jagernutt: I wouldn't include any art that uses kicks for the fast track, including Muay Thai. If it's one thing I've learned it's that kicks are a big no no in a fight unless you know how to use them, and they take more training than punching. Also groundwork is useful to know but if you end up on the ground in a self-defense scenario you are in a VERY bad situation and need to get out of it as quickly as possible.

For me it's boxing for striking fundamentals taught fast(you'd still need a couple months though), and then enough BJJ/Wrestling to know how to get out a fight on the ground as quickly as possible. Granted if we're being extremely realistic the best defense is a knife or a gun. But that's not what this thread is about so yeah.xD

Note, I know most people include Muay Thai for fast SD but I think it's an art you gotta get into to truly appreciate lol.:p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah:

Well Karate kick's and Thai league's different. Originally it took me less than a month to perform an effective Thai kick. Only one or two of those to the knee and any random stranger picking a fight with you is going to limp away if not out right collapse much faster than trying to out punch an opponent.

Muay Thai is basically just kick boxing with added benefit of Knee's and Elbows.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt: Yeah that's true, I still feel a bit odd recommending an art with kicks for quick SD though. It might just be where I entered martial arts with a style that's really technical with kicks so it's hard for me to personally see it.

It is worth noting though that most Average Joe's don't know a lot about fighting or condition their bodies for it, and while you never underestimate an opponent, pretty much any strike from a decently trained fighter will put them down pretty quickly. Non-fighters don't usually realize how badly a body shot can hurt.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah:

Oh yes your correct of course. Id say traditional boxing is the fastest track. Id still place Muay Thai as a reasonable close second in terms of simplicity because it's just not all that complicated to learn.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt: I agree, so long as the boxing gym teaches bare knuckle, otherwise your instinct might try to account for the gloves automatically and you'll leave your guard open(or so I've been told, I'm not a boxer but I do know it's a thing).

Thoughts on Kung Fu? I personally think while there are some problems with it, people hate also hate on it a little too much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Remember when The Karate Kid remake was about some kid learning kungfu lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fullmetalemprah:

Kung fu is an umbrella term that simply means "to learn". There's no one answer to which Chinese fighting style is the most effective. Bruce Lee started out in life with Wing Chun. Wing Chun is effective at close range. My personal opinion is that Sanda is the most practical Chinese fighting system in terms of self defense. Sanda is also taught by the Chinese military and is a national sport in China. Shoalin style gets an honourable mention as well.

FullMetalEmprah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@jagernutt: Actually, talking about Kung Fu brought this video to mind, I recommend watching it when you have the time. He lives and trains in Shanghai, and I find him to be very insightful on not just martial arts, but most things in general.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who considers taijutsu a martial art? Lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've learned Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, Chidokan Karate, Tai Chi yang Chen fu form, Rhee Taekwando, World Teakwando, Muay Thai, Chinese Kempo Karate and Zen Do Kai.

I majored in Chidokan Karate which is an off shoot of shotokan. Everything else I have moulded around Chidokan.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SpareHeadOne

I thought taijutsu was the weaponless fighting style for ninjas?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt:

I fight with my good arm and leg in front because of Bruce Lee's fighting method and because of "Bill Superfoot Wallace's" methods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone:

I knew someone else who did that as well. Also I'm trying to get good at that in boxing because then I'd be an effective south paw.

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did everyone think of the Canelo vs GGG rematch?

I haven't watched the fight but from what I've read of the live descriptions, Canelo deserved the decision with greater significant shots landed.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leem724:

I love Canelo Alvarez. But I haven't seen the fight yet either.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone:

We've all got our strengths and weaknesses. Don't feel bad.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt:

You did hung gar

Is that crouching tiger style? All kibadache and claws?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone:

It was brief. Hung gar is the five animal style. Crane and tiger are included in that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone:

You know if Star Wars producers had any sense they'd hire this lady as a villain. CGI got nothing on this lightsaber action.

Loading Video...

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I currently practice both taekwondo and krav maga. In the past, I've taken Japanese jujitsu and boxing lessons.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt:

Jade Xu! Inspirational!

She can be yoda next time.

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have practiced Karate and Taekwondo in the past. Very rewarding experiences.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loading Video...

@jagernutt: Actually, talking about Kung Fu brought this video to mind, I recommend watching it when you have the time. He lives and trains in Shanghai, and I find him to be very insightful on not just martial arts, but most things in general.

He has his pros and cons. He is very conceited in some of his opinions and he is honestly not as good as he is making himself out to be. I respect him, and he is a good fighter, but he purposfully trolls other youtubers sometimes which is what i dislike.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the first time in my life I've started watching MMA fights. They're actually pretty entertaining.

I'd like to one day have a personal trainer and learn Krav Maga along with some of the other martial arts.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu:

Hey buddy. I'm sorry I didn't tag you when you asked. I just woke up ten minutes ago.lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu:

Hey buddy. I'm sorry I didn't tag you when you asked. I just woke up ten minutes ago.lol

No worries. And cool thread idea.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amcu:

Check this out. It's from the movie Dragon " Bruce Lee story".

Loading Video...