Martial Art's thread.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@alavanka said:

Best women's self defense video ever. Those heel kicks at 1:09. Perfection.

Loading Video...

The hell are those guys wearing? They look like extras on the side of a low budget sci-fi movie.

Doofasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102  Edited By Doofasa

@alavanka said:

Best women's self defense video ever. Those heel kicks at 1:09. Perfection.

Loading Video...

That's an impressive class, in my opinion though those heel kicks are next to useless. You generate enough force to cause a bit of pain but not nearly enough to do any damage or stun someone. It is also incredible easy to block if you're not already stunned. If the person is already stunned you're better off getting up and stomping on their head if you want to KO, that or running out of the house. Also the way she bridged from open-guard should be on more of an angle pivoting over her right shoulder for that to actually work. That is a bit of nitpick on my part though.

Still overall a great self defense video and the speed she performs the techniques is impressive.

On UFC 229 I think Khabib will take it too however if Conor wins it won't be the first time he's proven me wrong.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Alavanka

@mrmonster: @doofasa

Rawr. Trolling with that vid btw. :P

No Caption Provided

All jokes aside, when it comes to using videos from the internet, I find the best videos are simply clips of actual classes. Stuff like this:

Loading Video...

Then you start watching videos of more technical breakdowns, like the one below, you realize they're talking about the exact same thing...and it becomes enjoyable.

Loading Video...

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know I'd kinda late but did anyone else watch Kid Yamamoto's fights? I just found out who he was after he died recently. The man was amazingly explosive.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Loading Video...

A friend from my Ninjutsu School competed in Daido Juku (Kudo) several years ago and won the competition. He now has his own school. Gotta say, seems like the best way for casuals to train some proper MMA without having to fear for their faces.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And in this addition of Terrible Self-Defense, I present to you, Crossfit Self-Defense, which is all kinds of ridiculous.

Loading Video...

This whole "kinetic chain" thing is pure BS. The movements required to do a wall-ball is not even close to the the movements required to do a palm strike. Same goes for lifting weights and throwing an upward elbow.

This type of self-defense just doesn't make sense. You should be building exercises around techniques, not building techniques around exercises.

And just look at this class.

Loading Video...

At around 6:25, the stupidest thing I think I've ever heard in a self defense video was spoken. "No it's not these martial arts, you know, technical, you have to do this, feet have to be here, hands have to be here, it's basically just go and attack and be in your strongest position."

That line was pure stupidity. In martial arts, we teach proper technique because that's what works. If you don't practice good technique, you might as well not be practicing at all. If Crossfit Self-Defense doesn't teach proper technique, then that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that it is not at all a self-defense program worth your time.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Now this is what wisdom looks like.

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By LeeM724

@mrmonster: It's a good message but after looking at fighting legends I have to say, many fighters like Bruce Lee, Muhammad Ali and Miyamoto Musashi pulled stunts Conor McGregor was criticised for and yet they're still respected today...It makes me think that to be successful in the fight game you kinda have to be a bit disrespectful...idk I'm just vomiting my thoughts here, I hope this starts a discussion.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@leem724: I think you're in part right and wrong. I think it's possible to be a great fighter and still have self-control, but unfortunately, you may not be a very popular fighter. MMA fans want to see this kind of behavior from the fighters, and the UFC doesn't care as long as ratings stay up.

The UFC is the only professional sports league that doesn't at least appear like they care about unsportsmanlike behavior. The NFL, NBA, MLB, MLS, and others at least pretend to care, the UFC doesn't.

LeeM724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: Yeah GSP is a great example of a nice guy who became really popular. I think for MMA to be taken seriously as a sport, reckless behaviour should be punished. Conor should tone down his trash talking, he's already insanely popular. He doesn't really need to promote himself anymore.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Alavanka

I wouldn't say that their behaviour suffered no consequences. Conor got charged for the bus incident and is facing lawsuits. 3 of Khabibs guys got arrested for hitting Conor, but they got released because Conor refused to press charges. Which is good move on his part. After the stunt he pulled in the promos, he would look like a chump if he pressed charges now. Conor's a big boy. Let him handle this loss like a man.

I don't really blame the UFC for not caring about appearances. It's the fight game. You can strip Khabib of his belt and suspend him and whatnot...but that doesn't change the fact that he whooped Conor in that cage. Even if you strip Khabib of the belt, the world knows he's the best fighter in that division. Khabib should get reprimanded financially and maybe legally for what he did. But that belt is his.

@leem724: GSP is +10 for Canada.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some beautiful grappling here.

Loading Video...

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is some beautiful grappling

Loading Video...

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/off-topic-5/the-martial-artist-discussion-thread-1962496/?page=1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By Alavanka

Beautiful grappling? Pfffft.... MMA fights and BJJ tournaments are nothing compared to real martial arts for the streets!!!!

Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka said:

Beautiful grappling? Pfffft.... MMA fights and BJJ tournaments are nothing compared to real martial arts for the streets!!!!

Loading Video...

You like Wing Chun? It was invented by a woman.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Internal martial arts is where it's at for me.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt: Wing chun was my first martial art. I like poking fun at wing chun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka said:

@jagernutt: Wing chun was my first martial art. I like poking fun at wing chun.

There is nothing wrong with Wing Chun. It's the Martial Art Bruce Lee started with. When he invented the idea of Jeet Kun do it Incorporated Wing Chun for close range fighting, boxing for mid range fighting, and Karate kick's for long range fighting.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Alavanka

@jagernutt: Not a huge fan of JKD either, though I can respect Lee's contributions to MMA.

My experience with wing chun is that chisao is a decent drill for hand fighting, and that translates when it comes to grip fighting. But other than that, boxing is pretty much better all around. There's just so many things missing from the art.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alavanka:

I know, Bruce Lee criticized Wing Chun for the exact same reason. JKD was an idea designed to complete it.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By SpareHeadOne

Wing Chun is a perfect martial art. It has no flaws or missing elements.

An amature Wing Chun artist beats an MMA and boxing professional with absolute ease.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wing Chun is a perfect martial art. It has no flaws or missing elements.

An amature Wing Chun artist beats an MMA and boxing professional with absolute ease.

Bro...I assume you're joking...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112:

He probably just watched IP man to get that answer.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt: @heroup2112:

I can't keep my game face on with you guys : D

Truth about me is I don't like all the putting down of martial arts. What you end up with are people who miss out because they don't experience things that they are told are shit.

A fool cannot even learn from a wise man; but a wise man can learn, even from a fool.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jagernutt: @heroup2112:

I can't keep my game face on with you guys : D

Truth about me is I don't like all the putting down of martial arts. What you end up with are people who miss out because they don't experience things that they are told are shit.

A fool cannot even learn from a wise man; but a wise man can learn, even from a fool.

lol I get where you're coming from certainly. That's why I try not to run down specific martial art styles...they can pretty much all be used and incorporated into an over all system (I do have my pet peeve style but even that one has its good points). I was pretty sure you were putting us on with your comment though.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112:

Repeat after me...

...Taekwando rules!

It...has a great array of kicks that can be incorporated into an over all combat system. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone: @heroup2112:

Question for you guy's. If you had to pick only 1 Martial Art to master and have as self defense for the rest of your lives which would you choose?

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By HeroUp2112

@jagernutt said:

@spareheadone: @heroup2112:

Question for you guy's. If you had to pick only 1 Martial Art to master and have as self defense for the rest of your lives which would you choose?

Very hard one. I've found two to be equally useful just in very different situations.

In a street type fight. Boxing...no doubt about it. In a fight for your life? The grappling art I KNOW is Hapkido, but I suspect I would rather learn BJJ.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for zacharythelover
ZacharyTheLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my preferred martial art is like - Hee yaaa then throwing rice everywhere.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my preferred martial art is like - Hee yaaa then throwing rice everywhere.

That one is especially useful at weddings. ;)

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: @jagernutt:

If you had given me a choice of 1 without the self defence stipulation, I would have chosen Aikido. The art of flowing with energies would be great to master.

Heroup, how well did you learn to feel your partner in Hapkido?

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heroup2112: @jagernutt:

If you had given me a choice of 1 without the self defence stipulation, I would have chosen Aikido. The art of flowing with energies would be great to master.

Heroup, how well did you learn to feel your partner in Hapkido?

I honestly never learned pure Hapkido for all that long, maybe about a year and a half but I did a LOT of grappling in various training for over seven years and I had gotten to where I was very good (I don't think I would say exceptional) at learning to feel my partner/opponent. I was highly adept at learning to read over all situations and opponents in general though.

Doofasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone: @jagernutt: @heroup2112: Have any of you guys ever trained in Mauy Thai? If not i can highly recommend it. You sacrifice a little of the punch power of boxing (due to a slightly wider stance), but you get way more diversity of strikes. In self defence situations you also get the added bonus of your elbows and knees not breaking as easily as hands, and kicks to keep people at range.

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doofasa said:

@spareheadone: @jagernutt: @heroup2112: Have any of you guys ever trained in Mauy Thai? If not i can highly recommend it. You sacrifice a little of the punch power of boxing (due to a slightly wider stance), but you get way more diversity of strikes. In self defence situations you also get the added bonus of your elbows and knees not breaking as easily as hands, and kicks to keep people at range.

I've trained some in Muay Thai and I like it. I've also fought one guy who had some MT training, though my own style is based on shutting that kind of thing down it was NOT fun (btw, I have very little training or aptitude in boxing I just know I've had THE MOST trouble with people who HAVE had boxing training, that's why I would like to be able to do it MUCH better...or I would have when I was younger and my body wasn't all broken). When I was younger, in shape, and my back wasn't broken I suppose you could say I was a mixed martial artist, but I didn't know the "MMA" brand style. I just learned a lot of whatever anyone would teach me and incorporated it into a system. The only thing I hold a belt in is USTA Taekwondo. I've seriously studied Hapkido, Hwrangdo, Shotokan Karate,American Wrestling, and a great deal of US Army Combatives. I've learned techniques from Aikido, BJJ, JJJ, Judo, Ninjutsu, Muay Thai, Systema, Wing Chun and a few others that I don't remember off the top of my head, but to say I "studied" them would be a complete lie.

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doofasa said:

Wasn't called but yeah I know Muay Thai. I love learning it and the training is pretty meditative and relaxing just zoning out while hitting the target.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doofasa:

I have incorporated the hooking hands of Muay Thai and Preying Mantis for a basic "arm" technique which I named "Hook".

I have incorporated the Muay Thai leg checks which I have named "Snap" (front check) "Whip" (45 degree check) "Blade" (side check) "Ram" (groin check)

I have incorporated Muay Thai elbows into a few basic techniques which I have named "Buck" "Horizon" and "Hook" again as it is part of the series of movements called hook.

Each name relates to a series of movements rather than just one.

I have a more than just one stance that I move through. The stances relate to the leg checks and also have the same names

SeaGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doofasa:

I have incorporated the hooking hands of Muay Thai and Preying Mantis for a basic "arm" technique which I named "Hook".

I have incorporated the Muay Thai leg checks which I have named "Snap" (front check) "Whip" (45 degree check) "Blade" (side check) "Ram" (groin check)

I have incorporated Muay Thai elbows into a few basic techniques which I have named "Buck" "Horizon" and "Hook" again as it is part of the series of movements called hook.

Each name relates to a series of movements rather than just one.

I have a more than just one stance that I move through. The stances relate to the leg checks and also have the same names

try adding some karate body conditioning exercises to your warm ups and you will see a huge increase in power.