Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#51 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (4425 posts) - - Show Bio

@chimeroid: I will admit yeah, he does put himself on a pedestal at times, but to be honest the martial arts community on Youtube is for the most part trash in general. Sure there are good channels dedicated to them, but most of the time it's nothing but one big MMA vs Kung Fu flame war, especially in the last couple months. Sure he can troll other Youtubers but at least I can find some decent discussion in his comments, something that's incredibly rare on Youtube.

#52 Posted by Amcu (16609 posts) - - Show Bio
#53 Posted by Red_Ruby_Petal (8109 posts) - - Show Bio

interesting thread, I've always liked martial arts in movies.

#54 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio

@red_ruby_petal: @amcu:

Did you guys ever watch Blood Sport? It's based on a true story.

Loading Video...

#55 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
#56 Posted by Amcu (16609 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#57 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
#58 Posted by Amcu (16609 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu:

Hard core dudes

Agreed. The way they dished out and took hits impressed me. I also really liked that kick that Davis threw at 11:43.

#59 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu:

That was a straight Muay Thai war

#60 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#61 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#62 Posted by LeeM724 (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone else here watch the Ultimate Fighter?

#63 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio

@leem724:

My brother was big into that show

#64 Posted by LeeM724 (623 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt: I've only just started watching it since I'm Aussie and the Middleweight Champ is Aussie.

Hope this brings more MMA stuff to Australia

#65 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#66 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#67 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#68 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#69 Posted by SpareHeadOne (6074 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt:

How consistent has your training been over the last three years?

#70 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone:

I haven't done much specific training in the last two years. Before that it was much more consistent.

#71 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

I present to you, the best firearms disarm technique you'll ever see.

Loading Video...

JK, that's stupid.

Crap like this is why people distrust reality based self-defense like krav maga. They see idiotic videos taught by idiotic, out-of shape instructors like her and think that's how all RBSD martial arts art.

Avatar image for fullmetalemprah
#72 Posted by FullMetalEmprah (4425 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: The best part is she performs it at full speed at the pace of a snail, then goes "Now let me show you in slow motion" lmao.

I do agree that RBSD gets more shit than it should, they honestly need to call out places like this more, I could learn more effective SD in a women's self-defense class, and that's REALLY saying something.

#73 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

@fullmetalemprah:

"The best part is she performs it at full speed at the pace of a snail, then goes "Now let me show you in slow motion" lmao."

IKR, her "full speed" is how most people take it easy. This is already a bad technique, but it's so much worse when you do it at the pace of a drunk sloth.

"I do agree that RBSD gets more shit than it should, they honestly need to call out places like this more, I could learn more effective SD in a women's self-defense class, and that's REALLY saying something."

Agreed with pretty much all of that. Unfortunately, these types of BS weekend self defense courses are everywhere these days, giving real RBSD a bad name.

#74 Posted by JohnnyZ256 (6479 posts) - - Show Bio

No apostrophe needed.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#75 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1671 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#76 Posted by SeaGod (4663 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#77 Edited by Alavanka (2580 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

Lol

#78 Posted by Alavanka (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu Have you seen breakdown videos by Mind-Mash or BJJSCOUT yet?

#79 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#80 Posted by Amcu (16609 posts) - - Show Bio

@alavanka said:

No I haven't. Not sure who they are.

#81 Edited by Alavanka (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

@amcu said:
@alavanka said:

No I haven't. Not sure who they are.

Well mindmash is nice to listen to when you wanna hear someone hype a fighter up (bit too much of a Conor fanboy though :P). BJJSCOUT does pretty neat breakdowns of grappling tournaments and MMA fights.

#82 Posted by Amcu (16609 posts) - - Show Bio

@alavanka: Okay thanks. That sounds cool. I might have to check them out.

#83 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod said:
Loading Video...

What a moron. And to think she actually runs a self defense company.

https://femaleawareness.com/

I don't know who's worse; the woman teaching this crap, or the women who believe it.

#84 Edited by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

This is what an actual self defense video looks like.

#85 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod said:
Loading Video...

What a moron. And to think she actually runs a self defense company.

https://femaleawareness.com/

I don't know who's worse; the woman teaching this crap, or the women who believe it.

Time to carry a gun at that point. LMAO. Wtf is up with this woman?

#86 Posted by LeeM724 (623 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone hyped for UFC 229?

#87 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
#88 Posted by Doofasa (2007 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster: That defense class is okay but his choke techniques are pretty bad. He forgets to mentioned rotating the radius of your forearm into the neck in the rear naked choke and shooting your hips out a bit with the guillotine. Also grabing your fingers in a guillotine can potentially a) break them if the attacker manages to complete the take down or b) it's easier to pop your head out of too.

#89 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#90 Posted by mrmonster (15107 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

@mrmonster: That defense class is okay but his choke techniques are pretty bad. He forgets to mentioned rotating the radius of your forearm into the neck in the rear naked choke and shooting your hips out a bit with the guillotine. Also grabing your fingers in a guillotine can potentially a) break them if the attacker manages to complete the take down or b) it's easier to pop your head out of too.

I was not aware of that, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I myself have practically no experience ground-fighting, so it's good to hear from those who know a thing or two.

#91 Edited by Doofasa (2007 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:
@doofasa said:

I was not aware of that, thank you for bringing it to my attention. I myself have practically no experience ground-fighting, so it's good to hear from those who know a thing or two.

All good mate. I probably shouldn't talk in such absolutes though as there are many different ways of grappling/BJJ that vary on preference. Plus I haven't been training consistently for the past 5 years so techniques may have evolved.

#92 Edited by Alavanka (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

Well to be fair, I think Shane's actually a white belt in bjj. I believe he had a video where he was practicing with the gi. You can tell his background is definitely in muay thai or kickboxing (which he is solid in). Shooting for a standing guillotine probably isn't the best way to deal with a takedown. It's reliant on the opponent hanging their neck on the outside when they shoot...which is the grappling equivalent to throwing haymakers while sticking your chin out. In my personal opinion a whizzer defense against the single leg is probably the most useful takedown defense you can teach a beginner, second to sprawl.

Speaking of UFC 229, it looks like most of Conor's wrestling training is revolving around whizzer against single leg, and circling to the back. It'd be interesting to see if this will be enough to defend against Khabib's pressure. This escape will probably be okay in the center of the cage, but if Khabib has Conor against the cage then he's probably going to body lock or drive a double. The fight will really be based on who can take control of the center, and pin the other guy into the cage.

#93 Posted by Doofasa (2007 posts) - - Show Bio

@alavanka said:
@doofasa said:

Well to be fair, I think Shane's actually a white belt in bjj. I believe he had a video where he was practicing with the gi. You can tell his background is definitely in muay thai or kickboxing (which he is solid in). Shooting for a standing guillotine probably isn't the best way to deal with a takedown. It's reliant on the opponent hanging their neck on the outside when they shoot...which is the grappling equivalent to throwing haymakers while sticking your chin out. In my personal opinion a whizzer defense against the single leg is probably the most useful takedown defense you can teach a beginner, second to sprawl.

Speaking of UFC 229, it looks like most of Conor's wrestling training is revolving around whizzer against single leg, and circling to the back. It'd be interesting to see if this will be enough to defend against Khabib's pressure. This escape will probably be okay in the center of the cage, but if Khabib has Conor against the cage then he's probably going to body lock or drive a double. The fight will really be based on who can take control of the center, and pin the other guy into the cage.

Ahh I didn't know he was a white belt, that makes sense. As you say the guillotine is a hail-Mary against a skilled opponent and shouldn't be used if someone has good positioning on their take-down attempt. I find it is effective however in some real world scenarios as people often attempt either a shoulder charge or spear tackle instead of single/double leg take-down, leaving their neck vulnerable to the guillotine. Completely agree on the whizzer defense, it's excellent for countering a number of take-downs.

For UFC 229 I 'm not sure the whizzer is going to be enough for Conor to prevent Khabib from taking him down, even in the middle of the ring. If Conor can control the middle with his striking though it'll certainly help.

Who's your tip to win?

#94 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

I wish that I could somehow host this fight on comicvine October 6.

#95 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#96 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio
#97 Edited by Alavanka (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa: If I were to bet my life on it, I'd probably say Khabib. But secretly, I kind of want to see Conor win. Dude is so entertaining.

#98 Posted by Chimeroid (9241 posts) - - Show Bio

Loading Video...

JK, that's stupid.

Crap like this is why people distrust reality based self-defense like krav maga. They see idiotic videos taught by idiotic, out-of shape instructors like her and think that's how all RBSD martial arts art.

I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume this was done to show movie stunt-people a cool looking disarm. (it would look sick with a few cuts and actual gunshots killing both of them.

#99 Posted by jagernutt (16328 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrmonster said:

Loading Video...

JK, that's stupid.

I will give the benefit of the doubt and assume this was done to show movie stunt-people a cool looking disarm. (it would look sick with a few cuts and actual gunshots killing both of them.

Possibly

#100 Edited by Alavanka (2580 posts) - - Show Bio

Best women's self defense video ever. Those heel kicks at 1:09. Perfection.

Loading Video...