#151 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

@heroup2112: Have any of you guys ever trained in Mauy Thai? If not i can highly recommend it. You sacrifice a little of the punch power of boxing (due to a slightly wider stance), but you get way more diversity of strikes. In self defence situations you also get the added bonus of your elbows and knees not breaking as easily as hands, and kicks to keep people at range.

I've trained some in Muay Thai and I like it. I've also fought one guy who had some MT training, though my own style is based on shutting that kind of thing down it was NOT fun (btw, I have very little training or aptitude in boxing I just know I've had THE MOST trouble with people who HAVE had boxing training, that's why I would like to be able to do it MUCH better...or I would have when I was younger and my body wasn't all broken). When I was younger, in shape, and my back wasn't broken I suppose you could say I was a mixed martial artist, but I didn't know the "MMA" brand style. I just learned a lot of whatever anyone would teach me and incorporated it into a system. The only thing I hold a belt in is USTA Taekwondo. I've seriously studied Hapkido, Hwrangdo, Shotokan Karate,American Wrestling, and a great deal of US Army Combatives. I've learned techniques from Aikido, BJJ, JJJ, Judo, Ninjutsu, Muay Thai, Systema, Wing Chun and a few others that I don't remember off the top of my head, but to say I "studied" them would be a complete lie.

Sounds like you're been an avid learner of martial arts for a long time mate. I've only seriously studied Muay Thai (10 yrs) and BJJ (brown belt), and I've dabbled in Taekwondo and Krav Maga. I'd love to learn some American Wrestling and Judo though but I struggle to find the time now days.

Sorry to hear that you broke your back mate, did you sever the spinal chord or can you still walk? My wife broke hers a couple of years ago but thankfully the spinal chord was intact. She still went through and continues to go through epic amounts of pain and functional limitations though so I can only imagine what it's like for you.

#152 Posted by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: @jagernutt:

If you had given me a choice of 1 without the self defence stipulation, I would have chosen Aikido. The art of flowing with energies would be great to master.

Heroup, how well did you learn to feel your partner in Hapkido?

Jujitsu is better and more practical than Aikido. I took Aikido for a while. It's a little too fancy.

#153 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod: Yeah I really enjoy the sense of flow/zoning out that practicing martial arts gives you. It's a great way to get outside of ones own head.

#154 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod:

Which exercises are you recommending?

#155 Posted by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio
@doofasa said:

@spareheadone: @jagernutt: @heroup2112: Have any of you guys ever trained in Mauy Thai? If not i can highly recommend it. You sacrifice a little of the punch power of boxing (due to a slightly wider stance), but you get way more diversity of strikes. In self defence situations you also get the added bonus of your elbows and knees not breaking as easily as hands, and kicks to keep people at range.

Muay Thai is one of my personal favorites. Also I'm trained in regular boxing as well.

#156 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa:

I have incorporated the hooking hands of Muay Thai and Preying Mantis for a basic "arm" technique which I named "Hook".

I have incorporated the Muay Thai leg checks which I have named "Snap" (front check) "Whip" (45 degree check) "Blade" (side check) "Ram" (groin check)

I have incorporated Muay Thai elbows into a few basic techniques which I have named "Buck" "Horizon" and "Hook" again as it is part of the series of movements called hook.

Each name relates to a series of movements rather than just one.

I have a more than just one stance that I move through. The stances relate to the leg checks and also have the same names

Sounds like you're developing your own unique style or martial arts. Great work.

My style is based of being able to launch every attack from the same stance, but I can switch in between orthodox and southpaw.

#157 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt: Yeah I'd add boxing to my list of Martial Arts that I would to love learn more of. The best punching power IMO of the lot.

#158 Posted by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa:

Just sign up with an MMA gym. They usually have a boxing coach in there.

#159 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt: Yeah there are plenty of options for it in my city, it's just a matter of time/priorities at the moment.

#160 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt:

I wana do Aikido for the dance and flow. Not for fighting.

I would Choose Judo for my 1 fighting art because it is the "Gentle Way".

#161 Posted by SeaGod (4596 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

@spareheadone:

@doofasa: yeah I need my martial art classes so I don't go insane from the stuff I go through on a daily basis at work.

#162 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa:

My stance that most resembles yours, would be the forward bow stance from Chinese Kempo which I have named "Plane"

#163 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod:

Ah.. them kind of exersizes.

Good idea.

I major in Karate. Chidokan is the name of the style I did. It is an offshoot from Shotokan.

#164 Posted by SeaGod (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone: yeah I'm goju ryu myself. Those excercises should help give your attacks an explosive power. You should also look into wing chun. It has nice close combat attacks that do good damage and it will give you the ability to shift your arms and hands faster to switch up your technique quicker.

#165 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod:

The last thing I did was Go Kan Ryu which has some Goju kata in it. I left coz I met a woman. Heheh

Thanks I will do the Wing Chun practice : D

#166 Posted by SeaGod (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone: make sure you find a reliable wing chun teacher that isn't scared to leave tradition

Avatar image for flyingpotato327
#167 Posted by FlyingPotato327 (21 posts) - - Show Bio

my preferred martial art is like - Hee yaaa then throwing potatoes everywhere.

#168 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa: Yes I can walk, but yes I'm in a lot of pain and junk. Pretty much put an end to my martial arts and hand to hand combat training though. It's alright, I had a good run. I'm sorry for your wife though, I hope she's getting some good physical therapy.

#169 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa said:

@spareheadone: @jagernutt: @heroup2112: Have any of you guys ever trained in Mauy Thai? If not i can highly recommend it. You sacrifice a little of the punch power of boxing (due to a slightly wider stance), but you get way more diversity of strikes. In self defence situations you also get the added bonus of your elbows and knees not breaking as easily as hands, and kicks to keep people at range.

Muay Thai is one of my personal favorites. Also I'm trained in regular boxing as well.

Yes, though I wasn't taught it from MT (I did learn some great improving techniques from it later on though) since I hadn't learned much formal boxing, and honestly I have a pretty weak punch...I've trained my punches endlessly there's just something physical about me that makes my punches not have that much power...elbows became my "power blows" go to. I love them. Your elbows are also one of the three parts of your arm that can still be used as a weapon if broken (assuming you can stand the pain...which is a big assumption).

#170 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was in the Ega mountains of Japan, I became a ninja. I was chosen by the Ega clan to spy on the Shintaro Samurai who are hired to protect high profile political figures. I spied on them but I couldn't get in to their office to find out who they were protecting. I had to infiltrate them.

Step one- join a karate dojo and practice until your Taijutsu style is masked.

Step two- join a kendo dojo

Step three- get noticed by the Samurai scouts.

Step four- accept your offer to join the Samurai.

This took me four weeks to achieve.

I finally gained access to the inner sanctum of the samurai grounds. Training was fantastic but I quit all that once my mum bought me an Xbox for Christmas.

#171 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

When I was in the Ega mountains of Japan, I became a ninja. I was chosen by the Ega clan to spy on the Shintaro Samurai who are hired to protect high profile political figures. I spied on them but I couldn't get in to their office to find out who they were protecting. I had to infiltrate them.

I finally gained access to the inner sanctum of the samurai grounds. Training was fantastic but I quit all that once my mum bought me an Xbox for Christmas.

Once day I'm gonna travel Down Under and just smack you WITH an Xbox. ;)

#172 Posted by SeaGod (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt said:
@doofasa said:

Yes, though I wasn't taught it from MT (I did learn some great improving techniques from it later on though) since I hadn't learned much formal boxing, and honestly I have a pretty weak punch...I've trained my punches endlessly there's just something physical about me that makes my punches not have that much power...elbows became my "power blows" go to. I love them. Your elbows are also one of the three parts of your arm that can still be used as a weapon if broken (assuming you can stand the pain...which is a big assumption).

did you hold your punches after punching instead of just bouncing off them? Just bouncing off gives you very weak punches instead of pushing into the target which gives you strong punches.

#173 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod said:
@heroup2112 said:
@jagernutt said:
@doofasa said:

did you hold your punches after punching instead of just bouncing off them? Just bouncing off gives you very weak punches instead of pushing into the target which gives you strong punches.

Oh dude, You don't understand. I trained for years with some very tremendous punchers. Guys who could LITERALLY knock people out with one or two punches. Boxers, Army Special Forces, Corrections Officers...guys who KNEW how to punch and how to TEACH people how to punch. I know the techniques, follow through, recoil, snaps, hip drives, everything. I mean I can throw OKAY punches, but I just can't hit very well, I can do the techniques right and I wore myself sore and ragged training and practicing. It was more or less concluded that there's something off physically, possibly my spine or back muscles, that won't let me throw a really good punch, However, I can throw a devastating elbow and I can kick a hole in you. (Okay, rather I should say I COULD...lol I tried to CHAMBER a side kick a few years ago and I felt the fusion I had...the surgery I had to fuse three of my vertebra together...lock and grind and it felt like a lightning bolt struck me in the small of my back lol so yeah, I couldn't properly kick a hole in a donut now)

Fortunately what I lacked in punches, I made up for in speed, grip techniques, locks, chokes, forearms, elbows, knees, kicks, and frankly VERY dirty stuff I won't get into because I won't be responsible for disseminating that kind of thing to kids and casual people to either seriously injure others without REALLY good reason or to get themselves arrested.

#174 Posted by SeaGod (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112: maybe try making up for weak blows with precision. If you can throw punches with good accuracy into weak parts then you can open up the opponent to perform the more powerful blows that take a bit more windup.

#175 Edited by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone: @seagod: @heroup2112:

Some people are just naturally disposed/talented in different ways. I've always been a good striker/wrestler. But more in the classical sense. I've never submitted anybody or actually performed anything too fancy in a real fight besides my basic boxing/Muay Thai and Wrestling skills. I think my punch power is around 800 psi.

#176 Edited by SeaGod (4596 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt: mine is stranger. I'm great at adapting martial art techniques that I see from fights online or in my classes and even martial art movies but sometimes when I'm being taught something it takes me a while to learn it but I can pickup on techniques just from seeing them outside of a lesson just fine.

#177 Edited by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod:

I grew up fighting. I've taken about 7 different Martial Arts through my life. But I'm still not all that technically skilled. I do decent with Muay Thai/Boxing and Wrestling partly because my basic adept fighting skills seem to be similar in the first place. Hit harder and overpower my opponent. The technical skills I've learned are really just a supplement to that.

#178 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

@seagod:

I grew up fighting. I've taken about 7 different Martial Arts through my life. But I'm still not all that technically skilled. I do decent with Muay Thai/Boxing and Wrestling partly because my basic adept fighting skills seem to be similar in the first place. Hit harder and overpower my opponent. The technical skills I've learned are really just a supplement to that.

Well natural aptitude plays a bigger part than most people sometimes like to think. Like I said, I've only seriously studied about five or six different systems and only hold a belt in one. Most of what I know/knew was from just constantly either being in (almost all stupid except the ones when I was a Corrections Officer, and they were mostly still stupid because the inmates were just stupid but it was part of the job) fights or sparring and learning from different people. Believe it or not, teaching people will help you learn too, it helps solidify what you know and it helps you understand what YOU better in an odd way. If you're going to teach someone though it's important to be a GOOD teacher though, that's important and a different discipline than just learning to be a good practitioner yourself. Doesn't mean you have to be a formal teacher, just...yanno...you teach someone what you know while someone teaches you what they know...it can get very competitive and become a pissing contest very quickly. Best to make sure not to let it on your end is mainly what I'm trying to say.

I'm glad YOU have the power to hit hard and over power your opponents because they DEFINITELY was not an advantage I ever had lol. My successes came from being quick, having exceptional timing, ruthlessness, accuracy, and being able survive longer than my opponents. Sadly, I know for a fact that I can take punishment. How I typically, won however, was striking first, effectively, in a surprising, demoralizing and shocking way, and capitalizing on it, and ending the fight brutaly and quickly. If I let things turn into a "slugging" match, which I almost NEVER did...odds were good I would probably lose.

#179 Posted by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt said:

@seagod:

Well natural aptitude plays a bigger part than most people sometimes like to think. Like I said, I've only seriously studied about five or six different systems and only hold a belt in one. Most of what I know/knew was from just constantly either being in (almost all stupid except the ones when I was a Corrections Officer, and they were mostly still stupid because the inmates were just stupid but it was part of the job) fights or sparring and learning from different people. Believe it or not, teaching people will help you learn too, it helps solidify what you know and it helps you understand what YOU better in an odd way. If you're going to teach someone though it's important to be a GOOD teacher though, that's important and a different discipline than just learning to be a good practitioner yourself. Doesn't mean you have to be a formal teacher, just...yanno...you teach someone what you know while someone teaches you what they know...it can get very competitive and become a pissing contest very quickly. Best to make sure not to let it on your end is mainly what I'm trying to say.

I'm glad YOU have the power to hit hard and over power your opponents because they DEFINITELY was not an advantage I ever had lol. My successes came from being quick, having exceptional timing, ruthlessness, accuracy, and being able survive longer than my opponents. Sadly, I know for a fact that I can take punishment. How I typically, won however, was striking first, effectively, in a surprising, demoralizing and shocking way, and capitalizing on it, and ending the fight brutaly and quickly. If I let things turn into a "slugging" match, which I almost NEVER did...odds were good I would probably lose.

Yep. Exactly what I meant about people having different strengths and weaknesses.

#180 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112 said:
@jagernutt said:

@seagod:

Yep. Exactly what I meant about people having different strengths and weaknesses.

Yup. On the nose.

#181 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

My System has 16 Technical Series.

8 Arm Series....Pendulum- Bar- Buck- Hammer- Gong- Wing- Hook- Horizon.

8 Leg Series...Whip- Ram- Snap- Sweep- Plane- Blade- Buckle- Lash.

White belts begin by learning the arms as blocks and the legs as stances.

#182 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

My System has 16 Technical Series.

8 Arm Series....Pendulum- Bar- Buck- Hammer- Gong- Wing- Hook- Horizon.

8 Leg Series...Whip- Ram- Snap- Sweep- Plane- Blade- Buckle- Lash.

White belts begin by learning the arms as blocks and the legs as stances.

Good stuff, bro.

#183 Edited by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

My first of 8 leg series.

WHIP

STANCE

Front Stance (Zenkutzudache from Karate)

-

BALANCE (realising how moving through your stances can disrupt your opponents balance)

Turning Knee Buckle (Imagine the 3/4 turn from Teakyoku Shodan your knee or foot disrupts the opponent you are turning to face)

Rear Cross Step (ready to turn 180 back into zenkutz

-

JAM

Reap Jam (this is a knee strike. It is the forward motion of the leg before the backward motion of a reap)

Forward Step (simply moving forward in Zenkutz to jam opponent in a number of ways)

Knee (whip leg check, also can be thought of as the beginning leg raise of meawshigeri (roundhouse))

RoundHouse (using maewashigeri as a jam)

-

REAP

Backward Step (I have taken two boxers/kickboxers out with this judo technique. It is a forceful wound up zenkutz back step. One dude from Zen Do Kai nearly knocked himself out when his head hit the floor.)

-

BLOCK

Reap Block (use knee kick as groin block)

Rear Cross Step (use as groin block)

Knee (leg check or block)

-

STRIKE

Reap Strike (knee kick hits with ball of foot)

Knee (maewashi knee)

RoundHouse Ball (maewashigeri hits with ball of foot)

RoundHouse Flat (maewashigeri hits with top of foot)

-

FALL

Strike BreakFalls (breakfalls from judo. Throw out one of the above strikes and then fall as though you were jammed and clinched. Prep for ground or stand efficiently.)

Balance BreakFalls ( fall after having your balance taken. learning awareness of your weak points.

-

GRAPPLE

Hip Wheel Throw (Zenkutz (karate) Hipwheel Judo to mount or whatever)

Reap (reap while maintaining a grapple)

#184 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa: Yes I can walk, but yes I'm in a lot of pain and junk. Pretty much put an end to my martial arts and hand to hand combat training though. It's alright, I had a good run. I'm sorry for your wife though, I hope she's getting some good physical therapy.

Sorry to hear that mate, and thanks for the kinds words. The happy/sad irony for my wife is that she was a Physio Therapist, so she does get the top level care but can't practice it herself anymore. Life goes on though.

#185 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@jagernutt said:
@heroup2112 said:
@jagernutt said:

@seagod:

Yup. On the nose.

Couldn't agree more with this. Natural aptitude and strengths/weaknesses are such a key factor in Martial Arts.

#186 Posted by Doofasa (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone said:

Are you from Australia too? I'm from Perth.

#187 Edited by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@doofasa:

yeah Im from South Australia. I get all your weather.

#188 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@spareheadone said:

Hahaha!!! Did I suck you in for at least a half of the story??

#189 Posted by HeroUp2112 (18044 posts) - - Show Bio

@heroup2112 said:
@spareheadone said:

Hahaha!!! Did I suck you in for at least a half of the story??

lol No, but you still need to get hit with the XBox for about half the things you say. ;)

#190 Edited by Alavanka (2168 posts) - - Show Bio

Muay Thai is great. The kickboxing I do in MMA class is basically muay thai, in that we throw pretty much everything muay thai guys throw. But it's a different sport, and so the priorities are different. Sacrificing power and leverage so as to not leaving yourself vulnerable to takedowns is the biggie. It's the same with boxing too.

@doofasa: If you don't mind me asking, is it a herniated disc or a broken vertebrae? Back injuries are the worst, so you have my full sympathies.

#191 Edited by LeeM724 (611 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone here watch ONE Championship? The recent Heart of the Lion card was pretty cool. Best thing is there's no Pay Per View, they stream it on their YouTube channel and their app free.

#192 Posted by NiteLite (1919 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll try to work on a black belt.

#193 Posted by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio
#194 Posted by NiteLite (1919 posts) - - Show Bio
#195 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

As an eighth dan of Goju Ryu and a thirteenth dan of Shotokan, I had to spar against the whole Dojo at once. The juniors were easy, I gyakazukied little Jimmy so hard that he cried and went home with his mum immediately. I busted lil Sally's teeth. The intermediates were kind of easier as they are generally bigger targets. One boy I maegeried and put his ribs into his lungs. We laughed about that afterward....well I laughed...you should have seen him on the floor groaning. There were 58 black belts in all. I mewashigeried one black belt and knocked 40 of them over. Then I just started performing my teakyoko kata and every time anyone got near me they got smashed by my extra loud kiai strikes and blocks.

Finally it was me and my master a 34 dan. We faced off and to cut along story short I let him beat me, because I just didn't feel like winning and plus my favourite tv show was going to start soon.

#196 Posted by LeeM724 (611 posts) - - Show Bio
#197 Posted by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio
#198 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio

@leem724:

No. This really happened that I wrote this.

I am also an ninth dan in kokoshin Kai and Cobra Kai..

#199 Posted by jagernutt (15975 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#200 Posted by SpareHeadOne (5687 posts) - - Show Bio