Follow

DC Comics

Publisher »

Originally known as "National Publications", DC is a publisher of comic books featuring iconic characters and teams such as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, the Justice League of America, and the Teen Titans, and is considered the originator of the American superhero genre. DC, along with rival Marvel Comics, is one of the "big two" American comic book publishers. DC Entertainment is a subsidiary of Warner Brothers and its parent company Warner Media.

D-list DC characters that should get their own ongoings

• 82 results
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Zeeguy91

With Vibe and Katana getting their own series pretty soon, it got me wondering…what other C or D list characters from DC should get ongoing series? My picks would be: Creeper Doom Patrol Fire and Ice Hardware Icon and Rocket

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By colonyofcells

1. Reboot Karate Kid into the 21st century. 2. Timothy Hunter. 3. Ray. 4. Blood Syndicate. 5. Doom Patrol. 6. Outsiders. 7. Wildcats.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Stormbox

Steel

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Teams that are not associated with the Justice League or America

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By colonyofcells

I would also salvage some of the old earth 2 and justice society characters and put them on main earth like what has been done to Geoff John's favorite Stargirl. I think main earth solo books of these might do ok : rebooted Wildcat, rebooted Starman, rebooted Dr Fate, rebooted Iron Munro, rebooted Fury (helena kosmatos). As for the redundant characters like Jay Garrick and Alan Scott, these can be rebooted on main earth into a new team that can be called Justice Society or some other name like the way Gen 13 turned into Ravagers.

BlueArrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BlueArrow

@Stormbox said:

Steel

YESSS!!!

@colonyofcells said:

1. Reboot Karate Kid into the 21st century. 2. Timothy Hunter. 3. Ray. 4. Blood Syndicate. 5. Doom Patrol. 6. Outsiders. 7. Wildcats.

They did a 3 issue Ray miniseries already which didn't sell well.

I want the Blue Devil, Black lightning to do an ongoing, I hear their DCU presents is selling well.

Deadshot solo, have it take place in the past, before Batman got him arrested, basically a day in the life of an assassin

Cyborg.how has he not got one yet?

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By arnoldoaad

@colonyofcells said:

1- reboot KK Again? though i dont think it would work in the 21st century

2- technically isnt that the idea of JLD, though i could see a new Books of Magic ongoing coming out of it

3- that was already done

4- probably not soon, i would DC to just re-establish the entire Milestone U in DC, but it would need a lot of planification and effort and after the amazing train wreak that was Static is something that might never happen

5- Of course its going to happen, did you knew that other than LSH and Punisher, Doom Patrol is the comic book with more reboots

6- possible that if Katanna's ongoing gets cancelled that a new Outsiders is made out of it

7- I hear that is already on it way under Jim Lee, its his main series after all, so its just a matter of time

@Stormbox said:

Steel

how about a Batwing/Steel/Hardware ongoing instead, you know, for diversity =D

seriously though i would like it if this had anything to do with the Steel on Animalman

@colonyofcells said:

I would also salvage some of the old earth 2 and justice society characters and put them on main earth like what has been done to Geoff John's favorite Stargirl. I think main earth solo books of these might do ok : rebooted Wildcat, rebooted Starman, rebooted Dr Fate, rebooted Iron Munro, rebooted Fury (helena kosmatos). As for the redundant characters like Jay Garrick and Alan Scott, these can be rebooted on main earth into a new team that can be called Justice Society or some other name like the way Gen 13 turned into Ravagers.

I would love a new Starman

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SmashBrawler

@BlueArrow said:

They did a 3 issue Ray miniseries already which didn't sell well.

It actually sold decently. That's why DC released Phantom Lady, and is planning to release Human Bomb.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By colonyofcells

I think Ray can be rebooted more times as needed. With Legion Lost getting cancelled, it is time to just reboot the Legion into the 21st century to compete with Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy who are getting a movie. The Katana comic is mentioning Outsiders so looks like Outsiders is on its way. For Blue Devil, I prefer the original concept where the guy is a tech genius like Ted Kord which seems to be the New 52 version. DC already has Etrigan so there is no great need for Blue Devil to be a real demon. Black Lightning having lightning colored black is just dumb. Are people no longer allowed to call African Americans Black ?

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Stormbox

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Steel

seriously though i would like it if this had anything to do with the Steel on Animalman

Im not reading animal man, so i dont know how steel looks like there. Is this the steel from animal man?

New 52 Steel
    New 52 Steel

If he is... i dont know, he kinda looks like war machine

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Steel

Im not reading animal man, so i dont know how steel looks like there. Is this the steel from animal man?

New 52 Steel
    New 52 Steel

yeah thats him, the twist is that in Animal Man John Henry had to upload his own consciousness into a robot to avoid being taken over by the rot

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Stormbox

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Steel

New 52 Steel
    New 52 Steel

yeah thats him, the twist is that in Animal Man John Henry had to upload his own consciousness into a robot to avoid being taken over by the rot

Thats a nice twist, but i still think he looks way too much like war machine

Plus having his mind in a robot body kind of defeats the purpose of "racial diversity" doesnt it?

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By reignmaker

Plastic Man and Red Tornado.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Steel

New 52 Steel
    New 52 Steel

Crap. What have they done to you, Steel???

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Stormbox

@BiteMe-Fanboy said:

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Steel

New 52 Steel
    New 52 Steel

Crap. What have they done to you, Steel???

Its from an alternate future, ive been told

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Twentyfive

@Stormbox: That is an an alternate version of him. I am beginning to think that DC should just get rid of him, and focus on his niece Natasha. She has more potential to be a prominent character in DC. She is a teenager, so they can put her in the Titans, or they could give her her own series, which I am in favor of. She is a child genius with attitude, and she could be another one of DC's female characters in the forefront of the action. Or, DC can even start another teen team featuring her, Traci Thirteen (if we ever see her again), and some other gals and guys in the DC universe.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stormbox

@Twentyfive: Well i havent read anything with steels niece, but i like him and i think his title could be sucesssful if handled correrctly

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Steel

New 52 Steel
    New 52 Steel

Plus having his mind in a robot body kind of defeats the purpose of "racial diversity" doesnt it?

his race doesnt really matter as long as the character is interesting

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Stormbox

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Steel

his race doesnt really matter as long as the character is interesting

Dc doesnt seem to agree, since they have tried to push minorities in their comics

Thats why i said the robot wouldnt work

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Twentyfive

@Stormbox: Yeah. I agree with you. My only reasoning for my opinion is that when you think about it, DC has almost a surplus of Steel-like characters. Cyborg, and Mr. Terrific, who was handled poorly, also Hardware, and Static to name a few. They are all tech guys that DC could use instead. Also, Steel is still and perhaps will always be stuck in the shadow of Superman.

I just think having a female headline a sci-fi book at DC would be awesome. I am not bashing you or anything, I am just offering my input.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stormbox

@Twentyfive: No rpoblem with that, i wasnt offended or anything

The problem with that is that a female minority character wouldnt sell at all unless you put geoff johns and jim lee in the book and publicized it as the most important book for the future of the dc universe

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Stormbox: So it wouldnt work because he isnt black, i think it doesnt work like that

either way Twentyfive has a point

pretty much all the black superheroes either use a super armor or have lighting powers

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Stormbox

@arnoldoaad: It wouldnt work for dc, thas what i meanrt

Id still follow steel wherever he went, but its pretty obvious dc isnt going to sacrifice one of their black characters, especially one that has some degree of success (horrible movie but still counts, 90s series, jla membership)

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Stormbox said:

Id still follow steel wherever he went, but its pretty obvious dc isnt going to sacrifice one of their black characters, especially one that has some degree of success (horrible movie but still counts, 90s series, jla membership)

he would still have the mind of a black man, also its not like it would matter much on the superhero design since both hide his skin and face

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zeeguy91

It seems we've gotten a bit sidetracked.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By colonyofcells

Steel probably is standing in line behind Cyborg for a solo book. Steel is just an Iron Man clone just as Doomsday is just a Hulk clone.

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Stormbox

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

he would still have the mind of a black man, also its not like it would matter much on the superhero design since both hide his skin and face

Again, that wouldnt matter to dc, and theyre the ones who have a say here, not us

Like i said, i wouldnt mind it, but dc obviously want their black readers to relate to an actual black character not a robot with the mind of a black guy

I personally dont believe in this "relate" bs, but the big companies like dc and marvel seem to do

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zeeguy91

Anyway, if they really were interested in pushing diversity, they should give some of JLI's characters some solo ongoings. Maybe have a Booster Gold title with several JLI guest stars. Or, more directly, give Fire, August General in Iron, or Vixen ongoings.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SmashBrawler

Doom Patrol. Screw anything else.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

Again, that wouldnt matter to dc, and theyre the ones who have a say here, not us

Like i said, i wouldnt mind it, but dc obviously want their black readers to relate to an actual black character not a robot with the mind of a black guy

I personally dont believe in this "relate" bs, but the big companies like dc and marvel seem to do

I agree with you in that its not really necessary to be relatable in such degree just dont think that DC wouldnt care, after all, they just replaced the Specter from a black man to a white man, and The Question from a lesbian hispanic woman to a white man, hell even Bwanna Beast is back and his name literally means the "White god of the mountain" who btw Lives in africa

and not to selfpromote myself much but I made this last week

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/arnoldoaad/diversity-in-the-new-dcu-or-just-the-illusion-of-diversity/87-86560/

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Gambit1024

Steel, Plastic Man, Metamorpho, and Black Lightning.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#32  Edited By longbowhunter

I'd like to see another Question series. The Denny O'Neil one from the 80's was great.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SmashBrawler

@Gambit1024 said:

OK, I know I said screw anything else but screw that. I'd love to see this (especially if you include Blue Devil).

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Stormbox

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

I agree with you in that its not really necessary to be relatable in such degree just dont think that DC wouldnt care, after all, they just replaced the Specter from a black man to a white man, and The Question from a lesbian hispanic woman to a white man, hell even Bwanna Beast is back and his name literally means the "White god of the mountain" who btw Lives in africa

http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/arnoldoaad/diversity-in-the-new-dcu-or-just-the-illusion-of-diversity/87-86560/

I hadnt seen it that way, still i think steel going into a robot body is a bit too radical wheres the question and spectre where originally white

Ill be sure to check out your blog post, since you make some interesting points and expose them well

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By colonyofcells

Plastic Man had a cameo in the first issue of JLI and also had cartoons so I am sure a solo Plastic Man book will come out soon.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

@Stormbox said:

@arnoldoaad said:

I hadnt seen it that way, still i think steel going into a robot body is a bit too radical wheres the question and spectre where originally white

yeah, but so Blue Beetle and yet Jamie Reyes is the current BB instead of Ted Kord,

i just fail to see why the hell did Didio brought back Jim Corrigan when he hasnt been relevant in comics for over a decade, i can almost understand montoya but its hard to justify specially cause of how heavily promoted were this character at the time

Stormbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stormbox

@arnoldoaad: I dunno, although someone told me that didio is obsessed with the original versions of heroes, so maybe thats the reason he did that

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By colonyofcells

When they had that short animated Jim Corrigan in a dvd, I could smell that the more iconic Jim Corrigan was on the way back. Unfortunately, the more iconic Ted Kord has been replaced by a hispanic.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By colonyofcells

I prefer to use Captain Comet Adam Blake to start dc's own mutant group. DC has had many versions of Manhunter and my favorite version is Mark Shaw who had a regular series after the Millenium event altho it is better for Mark Shaw to be rebooted so he can have a new origin independent of the androids from the Green Lantern mythology. I also like the Paul Kirk Manhunter of Walt Simonson and that version is easier to reboot for the New 52. Flashpoint had Sandman (the golden age version) so maybe dc has plans to reboot Sandman Wesley Dodds for the main earth. I am sure lots of people miss the New Gods and so far we have seen Apokolips and New Genesis already. Hopefully, we can see an Orion, Mr Miracle and Forever People books soon.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By arnoldoaad

@colonyofcells said:

I prefer to use Captain Comet Adam Blake to start dc's own mutant group. DC has had many versions of Manhunter and my favorite version is Mark Shaw who had a regular series after the Millenium event altho it is better for Mark Shaw to be rebooted so he can have a new origin independent of the androids from the Green Lantern mythology. I also like the Paul Kirk Manhunter of Walt Simonson and that version is easier to reboot for the New 52. Flashpoint had Sandman (the golden age version) so maybe dc has plans to reboot Sandman Wesley Dodds for the main earth.

really? why not Kate Spencer

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#42  Edited By the_tree

I'd like to see series on Milestone characters like Icon & Rocket, Xombi, and Hardware. I'd also give Simon Dark, Martian Manhunter, Orion, and Connor Hawke ongoings.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By colonyofcells

The current New 52 reboot is mostly a return to the beginnings of the silver age (some are from the beginnings of the golden age) so we have a young Barry Allen and Wally West is still nowhere to be seen. Dc does seem to favor the earliest versions more, so for Manhunter, my guess is dc will choose the Walt Simonson Paul Kirk Manhunter for the New 52 reboot. Some exceptions are Ted Kord altho with more reboots, even Ted Kord might be back as the Blue Beetle and the hispanic version could be erased later on.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Gambit1024

@SmashBrawler said:

@Gambit1024 said:

OK, I know I said screw anything else but screw that. I'd love to see this (especially if you include Blue Devil).

Give or take Blue Devil, but I want me some Black Lightning.

colonyofcells

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By colonyofcells

Metamorpho also had a cameo in the first issue of JLI so it looks like DC still has plans for Metamorpho even though they will use Element Woman in the Justice League bec. the Justice League needs more women and minorities.

Marco_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Marco_Kidd

Plastic man and Adam strange solo's.

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 18

#47  Edited By Kairan1979

I'd like to see another Creeper series.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Zeeguy91

Oh...just had a great idea: Aztek. Anybody remember him?

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#49  Edited By Black_Claw

I really want Icon to get his own series in the New 52. Milestone seriously needs more representation in the new 52. And I think a Plastic Man series would be hilarious.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By COBRAMORPH

I think they should use the Fawcett characters on Earth-5, the Justice Squadron, put maybe a GL & a Flash over there, build them up with some characters taken from the main earth over to there.

Then eventually with Charlton & the Freedom Fighters

Spoiler. Just as spoiler, no Batgirl.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.