Follow

Thor

Character » Thor appears in 8599 issues.

Thor Odinson is the All-father of Asgard /God of Thunder, offspring of All-Father Odin & Elder-Goddess Gaea. Combining the powers of both realms makes him an elder-god hybrid and a being of no perceivable limits. Armed with his enchanted Uru hammer Mjolnir which helps him to channel his godly energies. The mightiest and the most beloved warrior in all of Asgard, a staunch ally for good and one of the most powerful beings in the multiverse/omniverse. Thor is also a founding member of the Avengers.

Will Thor Be a Successful Comic Book Movie?

• 166 results
    Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#51  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I agree with Sara, Thor isn't as far out there as anything else, not as far out there as Superman.  An alien from another planet who comes to earth and becomes its hero, Thor (slip in god instead of alien) and its the same idea.  Green Lantern is more out there to me than Thor.
    I think the reason that Thor isn't in costume much on Earth is because they are easing non comic fans into the concept in the movie, they want people to understand what Thor is about and who he is before they bombard them with far out concepts like Thor, in his armor with a red cape, smashing and flying around fighting monsters on Earth.  Plus it goes with the idea of why he is cast down to Earth, his power taken away.
    The idea is sort of like a rich kid being cut off from his parents.  I don't know where I was going with that...
    I don't think Iron Man was as well known before the movie,  I asked around.  My parents didn't know who he was, my sister, my grandparents (probably), and yet now Iron Man is one of Marvel's most prominent characters.  He is on bed sheets alongside Spider-Man and Wolverine.
    Also, I think it comes down to how complicated the story and how well its told.  So far Thor looks incredibly well done, and I think it looks very streamlined.  but I do agree going back and forth from Earth to Asgard and all the other realms of Asgard might get too out there and complicated.    Just replace Krypton with Asgard and add that he can return to it.
    You know what is a further out there concept for a comic movie?  Daredevil.  He is a blind guy with radar sense, a ninja and he wears red costume to fight street level crime, while he is a lawyer by day.  Its further out there to me, and I don't see them being able to successfully transfer that into a film, but Thor I can see working just as well as Spider-Man or Iron Man.

The part that might become odd or hard to understand is, if Thor is a god and he comes to Earth what does that do to religion?  In the comics I can see it being different, not really hard to comprehend, but in a movie...
    Does that mean Thor and Odin are gods?  But the movie will probably address this.

Thor can be Marvel's Superman, in the movies I mean.  He is a being from another world who is cast down to Earth and becomes its hero with his godlike power.

Also I think it good that Marvel is trying different characters and not just staying with the same old ones or the most popular ones, not making another Hulk, Spider-Man, x-men, and nothing else.  DC for a while only made Superman/batman movies it seemed like, now they have GL.  Again, not sure where I was going with that.  I tend to ramble I guess.

So I think Thor is a good choice, maybe not the one they should have done next.  But definitely should come before a movie like Deathlock or something.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By Loki9876
    @Kamen Rider Kajiki:  I'm flemish.
    Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
    The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By The Devil Tiger
    @Loki9876:
    More likely the celtic mythology, my friend.
    Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Loki9876
    @The Devil Tiger:  oh now I'm dissapointed :(
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#55  Edited By SevanGrim

just noticed the Tokio Drift poster. wtf?

gambitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By gambitz
    perry_411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By perry_411

Everyone in the WORLD that matters knows of Thor. His name is common property. This movie makes more money worldwide than Captain America.

Len2487

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Len2487
    @Misfitmascot said:
    "

FINALLY SOMEONE AS SKEPTICAL AS ME!! I saw Thor the other day and it was a good movie but it isn't as good as people say! It's too fast and strange. The whole Asgard and earth seems strange and the final battle is just dumb. It's beautiful but too strange. Hemsworth is a good actor though! Hiddleston too! But unfortuntely they don't focus enough on Jane Foster and Thor. They did not ground him. It was not convincing enough.

"
    This is exactly how i would describe it. it was great to watch but just too brief. thor just doesnt spend enough time on earth for it constitute as a life changing experience. as for the actors i think each and everyone of them played their parts beautifully. Hiddleston's loki was amazing. i came out feeling a somewhat bad for loki. understanding his motivation of why he is how he is. i only found the guy playing Fandrall a bit idiotic. (but thats just probably me) And yes last battle, just too many sparks not enough actual action. 

If i had to make a comparison, i would say it was definitely better than Iron Man 2, but nowhere as good as Iron man 1 (IMHO)  but it was still a lotta of fun to watch. i know i'm definitely going again this week to  watch it.  
    armylife1124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By armylife1124
    @Len2487 said:
    " @Misfitmascot said:
    "

FINALLY SOMEONE AS SKEPTICAL AS ME!! I saw Thor the other day and it was a good movie but it isn't as good as people say! It's too fast and strange. The whole Asgard and earth seems strange and the final battle is just dumb. It's beautiful but too strange. Hemsworth is a good actor though! Hiddleston too! But unfortuntely they don't focus enough on Jane Foster and Thor. They did not ground him. It was not convincing enough.

"
    This is exactly how i would describe it. it was great to watch but just too brief. thor just doesnt spend enough time on earth for it constitute as a life changing experience. as for the actors i think each and everyone of them played their parts beautifully. Hiddleston's loki was amazing. i came out feeling a somewhat bad for loki. understanding his motivation of why he is how he is. i only found the guy playing Fandrall a bit idiotic. (but thats just probably me) And yes last battle, just too many sparks not enough actual action. 

If i had to make a comparison, i would say it was definitely better than Iron Man 2, but nowhere as good as Iron man 1 (IMHO)  but it was still a lotta of fun to watch. i know i'm definitely going again this week to  watch it.  
    "
    EXACTLY on the better than Iron Man 2, but not as good as Iron Man 1.  I felt like the action in the begining of the movie was so good that the end of the movie was a little but of a let down.  You could definitly tell this was a "feeder" movie for the Avengers movie.
    JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By JoeH

It's a great movie, even my mates who don't read comics and didnt know that Thor was a super hero before I told them absolutely loved it.

JoeH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By JoeH

Oh also in terms of the language stuff, it's mentioned in the comics that Asgardians speak the all-language, understood by all.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By phrosnite

Sara is wrong. She defends Thor too much. The only God of Thunder that matters is Raiden.

kungnima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By kungnima

I like how Tony always bring toys and stuff.

And I'm sure your Swedish wife has told you everything you need to know about norse mythology!

Arevish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#64  Edited By Arevish
    @phrosnite said:
    " Sara is wrong. She defends Thor too much. The only God of Thunder that matters is Raiden. "
    Mortal Kombat fever uh? xD That game rocks. But Thor is cool anyway..
    Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Gambit1024

I hope this is gonna make as huge as an impression as Iron Man did. Iron Man proved that a character who isn't a household name can make huge money (over $500 million for Iron Man).

I have huge confidence for Thor, but I'm still worried about Captain America.
    Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Penguin-Dust

Early reviews from The Hollywood Reporter and Variety are good, so probably however I still think Captain America will do better because by the time it comes out there will be less competition at the box office. 

HaloKing343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#67  Edited By HaloKing343

San Fransisco is Asgard. At last I see, the secret is revealed!
    RomaTotti10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By RomaTotti10

I would give this 4 stars out of 5. Chris Hemsworth is a really good Thor but his relationship with Natalie Portman doesn't come across that well. It feels like he is only exiled on earth for a very short time. 

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#69  Edited By The Impersonator

I hated math too.
    Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Fantasgasmic

This almost never say this, but I agreed with every point Sara made (I even thought about Eddie Murphy in Coming to America about a second and a half before you said it). Maybe it's because i'm around the same age, and I too learned a little bit about Norse mythology in school. Normally, I find myself agreeing with Tony a bit more than Sara, but this time almost nothing Tony said seemed correct to me.

1) Thor needs to be there first because he's less well known. Neither of you made this point, but when Captain America comes out and does awesome, it would make Thor seem like a failure by comparison if Thor had to follow Cap. By releasing it first, it won't be overshadowed, and Marvel could make an argument about Thor "priming the pump" for Cap's success.

2) The tone (based on the trailer) seems to be more set toward modern sensibilities, and less fantastical than 616 Thor. Allow me to use math symbols to explain. Magic = Science ∴ Asgard = Planet/Dimension, Rainbow bridge = Wormhole, Gods/Giants = Aliens/extra-dimensional beings. (Those are slashes not ÷)

3) Black Panther isn't in The Avengers movie. Whether it's all movies, or just this set,  Marvel Studios movies now share a continuity, and therefore there needs to be some editorial oversight.  Putting out a Black Panther movie in the middle of a story about the founding of a group he's not in (yet) would be confusing.

3a) It's not like the old days when Fox put out whatever Fantastic 4 movies they wanted and Sony put out whatever Spiderman movie they did and you sat there thinking, "you know Spidey could really use some help from Reed Richards" but they couldn't appear together. Now character availability is dictated by story needs.

4) Thor shouldn't be speaking English, unless the fact that he's some higher life-form means that he can learn our language by hearing it, or he's speaking some Asgardian language, but our human brains make it English because it's so beyond our comprehension.

5) It appears (from my viewing of the trailer) that when Thor is walking around on earth, he doesn't have his powers (can't lift the hammer, remember) so he doesn't have his armor. Once he's able to lift the hammer, he will get his powers and armor back (probably in a Shazam-like bolt of lightning, or Green lantern like "and suddenly new clothes appear")

6) Batman wears a cape and funny helmet and people take him seriously.
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By They Killed Cap!
    @cattlebattle:

I would have to agree...about two years ago I came back to books and only in the past two years have I gained a appreciation for him.
    Veidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Veidt

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed that video!

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#73  Edited By JonesDeini

I'm with Babs, Mythology>>>Math

As far as it being a success, I'm sure it will be. People around me (non comic book fans) are really excited for it. They just want an action movie and this will be that. I as a Thor am very skeptical about it. But oftentimes we as comic readers are out of touch with what others are into, especially when it comes to something we're so passionate about. 
    Kamen Rider Kajiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Loki9876:  Nou dan bent je of of een Batave of een Frank met een grotere kans om een Frank te zijn :P

Artemis_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By Artemis_D

Thor is going to be huge at the box office, agreed, but I have to agree with Tony.  I always thought this was an odd way to go from the start.  Iron Man, I understand.  Again, just about everybody at least had an idea of what Iron Man was, and it played to the little geek in all of us that still gets excited when we shiny machines, robots and explosions.  Captain America makes sense as well.  At the core of it all, Captain America is a soldier defending his country.  That's something anybody can relate to.  Thor? I'm just not seeing it.  When we were playing outside in the backyard, I don't recall anyone jumping up and down shouting, "OOH! OOH! I WANT TO BE THOR! I WANT TO BE THOR!" No! We wanted to be Superman or Batman, or Wolverine!  

But I don't know. I just hope it's good.  I've not really been impressed by any of the trailers, but as a nerd I have to see it.
    ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#76  Edited By ShirEPanjshir

I must say I was pretty skeptical about Thor before I actually saw the movie. I also thought it was an odd choice.
    But now, after I've seen it, I'm totally pro-Thor as the next movie. Besides, the gap between Midgard ( Earth ) and Asgard is bridged perfectly, and the Rainbow bridge was handled very well and realistically.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#77  Edited By queenfrost_

How far behind is America!? I saw it on the 26th, when it came out in England.... O_O

It's an excellent movie, believe me!

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By MichaelBach

Saw the movie and it was great, I didn't find it hard to follow at all. It was colorfull, plenty of action, funny and a good story. Hope they make more of theese.

Loki9876

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Loki9876
    @Kamen Rider Kajiki:  nou lijk ik net u PM'd ik ben van België dus waarschijnlijk een Galliër toch apprecieer ik de moeite die je hebt gedaan dank u. Now i speak English so don't be mad on me follow viners.
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By cmaprice

Babs completely dominates this debate.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

#81  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

You two both saw the movie? It doesn't come out until a couple of days.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#82  Edited By joshmightbe
    @SUPER-MAN 23: its already out everywhere in the world except America and Finland
    Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Piranesi

Anything a little outside the mainstream will suffer at the box office. People will go see it because they want to see a big loud fun blockbuster rather than being fans (or aware) of the comic books or the Norse myths. 

After Inception, the media tend to think the movie-going public is after thought-provoking content - Hollywood is well aware that is not the case.
    TOMBSTONE999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By TOMBSTONE999

Tony is blowing off a lot of Babs points but she's making sense in a lot of ways.

Bald Eagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#85  Edited By Bald Eagle

Tony is making it more complicated than has to be.  Can't people just go to a movie to be entertained without knowing every detail of a character's history? 
    Blindside002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Blindside002

Early reviews of the movie, sitting at around 52, have it at 94% on rottentomatoes.com.

WadeWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By WadeWilson

this guy is a total ass, the girl could say that the dark knight was a great movie and he'll probably answer it wasnt, just to be on the opositive side

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By The_Scourge

It didn't exceed my expectations, but I thought it was really good overall.

Baddamdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#89  Edited By Baddamdog

If I didn't live in the UK I would marry Sara!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#90  Edited By PowerHerc

Hell yeah it will!
    Thunderer727

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Thunderer727

I don't know what this guy is talking about!!! I mean he's acting like EVERYONE knew who Iron Man was up until three years ago! I've ALWAYS loved Iron man but he wasn't a household name. And neither was he anywhere near better known than Thor! Its just that Iron Man has become SO HUGE that it feels that he's been known forever now. Sara is completely on the money! Most of the things G-man was bringing up are true of everyone else! For that matter Green Lantern's whole concept of a power ring is totally more laughable than a rainbow bridge cuz guess what? Rainbows Exist! Using that as an argument is ridiculous!
    CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#92  Edited By CodeSaint

I saw it today and it was excelent,one of the best comic book movies I saw.The movie was good in everything,it had good effects that's even better on 3D,action,story,comedy,message and other things.Too bad the Green Lantern film seen not going the same way,hope they will surprise the audience in a good way too.

sfizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By sfizzle

So im going to be brutally honest. I saw thor (advance screening, I know I rule). Gman doesn't know what he is talking about here. Thor had light humor because it is an Asgardian god trying to live in new mexico. That shit is funny. "I need a horse!" It doesn't get jumpy with the dimensional travel because this film is just solid. The rainbow bridge looks incredible! It's not  full on rainbow but the colors are there and you can see how the name could apply if they wanted to call it that. I had big hope for this movie and I was not let down at all! I plan on seeing it a few more times because I 'liked it so much.

Only gripe is he doesn't say "have at thee"
    KRAAAAAAAKA-DOOOOOM!

ceniza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ceniza

Already saw it (live in colombia) and it rocks. The best marvel movie so far in my opinion. Tony might want to doublechek most of his arguments, they feel lacking. Most of the things he says apply to the Thor comics man, not just the movie, maybe he would'nt know how to pull it off on screen, but the movie works. 

Thor is serious. Ultimate Thors got some humor. This is Movie Thor, he throws things and demands horses to ride on.

Rainbow bridge? great. Inter-dimensional/planet travel? As we always imagined it would look like in the movies. 

I dunno, it just rocked. People are not stupid Tony, they get It is a movie. A story well told, anyone can relate to, and this is one of those cases.

RWBcomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By RWBcomics

Congrats Tony, you've successfully and officially pushed me away from coming to the site with this video.

I've been a visitor here for a few years and in the last few months I have seen nothing but pedantic articles and discussions of frighteningly banal proportions. Here we seem to have shameful doubt casting speculation for the sake of itself. I could break down your missteps point by point-- talking about how you seem to underestimate the audience of these films, how you look back at Iron Man's pre-film recognition with rose tinted glasses, or how serious you seem to take a character who had an entire arc dedicated to being turned into a frog, but rather than pull that apart piece by piece in depth I simply say a sad farewell to ComicVine. I saw a lot in this place. There was a time I enjoyed coming here. Alas, no more. This simply is no longer a place to find intelligent, mature, thought provoking, or even professional discussion and or reporting on the medium.

DownZero82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By DownZero82

It's the thunder god and it directed by a Shakespearean actor. What could go wrong?

Lord_Daemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By Lord_Daemon

I must admit I was pretty skeptical that it would even be decent but so far it's looking at least that. As far as good...I'm just going to have to wait and give it a watch. I've seen films that got really high consistent ratings and yet I found them to be just awful so wait wait wait.

Norusdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Norusdog

If you guys are gonna debate something like this at least know what you're talking about.

And FYI...Thor is no more "odd" or "out there" then a majority of "fantasy" or "sci fi" movies.....So you can accept Avatar but not Thor? Harry Potter going to the school but not Thor?  Green Lantern but not Thor? 

And that's just recent movies....

and btw The Rainbow Bridge is EXACTLY that..a bridge between Asgard and Earth...you guys don't even know what it is?  If you think about it for 2 seconds it's obvious why the people who worshiped them labeled it as such.

Seriously, none of your arguments against Thor make any sense whatsoever because they ring true for almost any of that type of movie.  And we know how well say Avatar did..and it's even more "fantastical".

check_____mate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By check_____mate

thor will be a great movie

but green lantern is gonna suck ass there's too much bad cgi i watched the trailer and it looked too...fake.. i hope it proves me wrong when i see it but for now :(
    karbacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By karbacca

From what I have read (mostly over at aintitcool.com). All the silly stuff is very very few. Plus, you see much more Asgard then earth, so that is good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.