Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17246 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

How smart is Spider-Man exactly?

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@kiba said:

@blackspidey2099: no it demeans the feat to the area of pointlessness. This was bad writing from a moron of a writer. If these things existed in the marvel universe then their world would be changed forever but it hasn't in anyway that's related to the particles. There's been no lasting repercussions from that story and most will forget it ever happened. This type of wanking happens to all characters and is always dismissed. The sooner we forget this ridiculousness the better.

That applies to basically all of the discoveries in the Marvel Universe, from Arc Reactor Tech to Unstable Molecules to Pym Particles to Iron Man armor, etc etc etc. According to you, we should ignore basically all scientific discoveries in the MU, since they will never significantly change the universe as long as Marvel wants to keep their universe similar to ours.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@blackspidey2099: no I said THEIR universe. Arc tech and Pym particles are something necessary to those characters but what lasting effects has "Parker particles" have? Peter doesn't need them for anything and doesn't use them. If he was using to fuel his powers or something at least there'd be a use or purpose but they're "too strong". They're just bs that shouldn't have been thought up at all. I know you want Peter to be portrayed as really smart and I do too but not like this. He doesn't need the wanking.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba: I don't think it is wanking considering it just puts him on the level of other geniuses in Marvel. It's not like he is now suddenly the smartest person or anything. The on,y reason they aren't used again is because Marvel would never let Peter use them. I kinda see what you mean though, but I can't completely agree.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kiba said:

@blackspidey2099: no it demeans the feat to the area of pointlessness. This was bad writing from a moron of a writer. If these things existed in the marvel universe then their world would be changed forever but it hasn't in anyway that's related to the particles. There's been no lasting repercussions from that story and most will forget it ever happened. This type of wanking happens to all characters and is always dismissed. The sooner we forget this ridiculousness the better.

Of course it's stupid, if you don't open your mind and let comic book physics do it's thing, doesn't change the fact it happened and it's a part of Spider-man's feats and talents.

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: yes it happened and everyone but blind little fans boys will forget it ever did because it was a lame idea that never should have seen the light of day. All characters have these moments and we simply look the other way and move on. You should too.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Spider-man is 12th smartest man on the planet IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-59847e5816856
    deactivated-59847e5816856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger said:

Spider-man is 12th smartest man on the planet IMO.

I've seen your list, which is for the most part pretty accurate. But, I'd put Spidey in the tenth position.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely top 10 IMO. I'd certainly put him above Amadeus Cho at the very least.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyryan: Thanks. Well you know Norman Osborn proved that he is smarter then Peter. He took control of the most powerful being on the planet, made everyone believe that he is the greatest hero ever, even heroes themself, created his own Avengers team, giving problems to smartest people on the planet, almost killed Dr. Doom, took control over the world, forming his win team of Illuminati, almost destroying Asgard, creating a formula that gives humans a healing factor and can ressurect them, created Iron-man armor without any knowlege or experience, took control of New York without anyone even knowing it, outsmarted Superior Spider-man, without him we would not have clone saga 1 and 2, Peter also admited that Norman is smarter then him and Norman created a cure for cancer. I can see people putting him above Norman or maybe even Leader but he can only be number 10 and not more then that. People like Doom, Reed, Stark, Banner, Pym, T'Challa, Amadeus Cho, Hank McCoy and Valeria Richards are all above him. I can see him as 10th, I just think that Leader and Norman are above him but that is debateable. What is not debateable is that he isn't anywhere near the level of those 9.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger said:

Thanks. What is not debatable is that he isn't anywhere near the level of those 9.

Anytime. However, I wouldn't say that he isn't anywhere near the level of those nine. Sure, those nine (especially the first two) are probably smarter than Spidey, but there still have been times when Spidey has outsmarted the likes of Shellhead, and has impressed both Reed, and Pym.

P.S. I feel that Doc Ock should be one level higher than M.O.D.O.K. considering how he outsmarted M.O.D.O.K. in Amazing Spider-Man Vol 1 676.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyryan: Maybe I overrated a little. IT is not that he isn't anywhere near them. He is just a whole level below them (I overrated with "anywhere near"). I don't really base his intellect on outsmarting others. T'Challa outsmarted Doom and Reed and he is still lower in intellect then those 2. The way Reed talks about Stark, IT is like he is smarter then Reed while he isn't. I don't think Ock is smarter them MODOK just because he outsmarted him because (I explained,same thing like with Panther).

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spideyryan: Everybody else who heard that story is saying that Spider-man is above Stark, Banner and Pym and equal to Doom and Reed. I Hate that shit man. Iron-man is my favorite Super Hero yet I hate when people are saying that he is smarter then Doom and Reed.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By KrleAvenger

Everybody who says that Peter is above Stark, T'Challa, Pym, Banner, Cho and McCoy and on the level if Doom suffers from Massive fanboyism. I love Spider-man but he is not on their level.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

He's written like he's a dumb @#$% atm

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Spider-Man is one of the smartest people on earth, but I don't think he is as smart as Reed, Doom, Pym, McCoy, T'Challa, Stark, Banner and Cho.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made the list of smartest People in Marvel.

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/profile/krleavenger/lists/top-30-smartest-marvel-characters/61281/

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How smart is spidey as a tactical fighter.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12: I don't think he is that great of tactician. Most of his tactical feats are based on something he can fix/figure out using science.

ReiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony stark hacked the Pentagon when he was a freshman in highschool...

Web shooter that Peter bulit is impressive but hacking the pentagon?

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reik: tbh I'd say that building webshooters and spider-tracer tech is more impressive considering computer security was extremely bad back then, if not nonexistent. The computers Tony had access to at his mansion were probably almost as good as the ones at the Pentagon.

Avatar image for tanakaclinkenbeard
    TanakaClinkenbeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reik: And Peter end up hacking Tony suit in Civil war.

sazuke2497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: peter is number 9 Imo based on his feats but not any higher norman isn't smarter though an people saying Batman is smarter haven't looked into peter's intellect feats peter's potential is higher than everyone's but his potential hasn't been shown to it's fullest also banner excels at gamma radiation we are talking about overall intellect an not just one area yeah?

sazuke2497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: not 100 percent true he's got some great strategist an tactician feats

sazuke2497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: well then you haven't done enough research on pete plus he's been shown to have better Intellect feats for a long time batman isn't as smart as pete peter's intellect gets underestimated all the time cause people don't look at his best feats

sazuke2497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter isn't the smartest marvel character but people overlook how smart he is his potential is higher than everyone elses its been stated plenty of times dudes a super genius he just holds himself back from showing his true potential as a super genius most of the time that doesn't mean he's not super intelligent. People need to stop overlooking his best prep feats an intelligence feats his strategist feats an his tactician feats he's one of the best in all of those categories overall he's one of the greatest but he's not above doom or reed

Psy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Peter. He was the smartest idiot for a while (there was no reason for him to stay broke) until Ock took over for a bit and put his intellect to use in reaching his potential and just having all-round more efficient approaches to things (minus the callousness of course). When Parker was still a kid I understood the broke struggling student vibe but he remained quite immature and refused to access his true potential pre-Superior. I love that Ock was so outraged when he just assumed and later discovered that Parker was not a doctor. It shows how highly he regarded Parker's intellect and as much as I wanted Parker back, Otto showed him a whole other way of living to his potential and he uses it till now.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump.

segamarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man (gamerverse but I'm still sharing it anyway) invented a suit that essentially turns him into a speedster. This invention is OP. And yet another sign of proof that the character is mad scientist levels of smart. (btw he fixes the bugs in the suit by the end of the story)

speedstergod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel is content to focus solely on Peter being a socially bumbling moron with only flashes of his real intellect when the plot demands it

eMJay19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are all comparing Peter Parker to other geniuses such as Hank Pim, Tony Stark, Reed Richard, Bruce Banner, Bruce Wayne, and etc. But bare in mind that they have different specialties. It's like asking "Who is smarter, Darwin or Tesla?".

Peter Parker, however, stepped into their field of expertise and impress even them. Heck Peter hacked Tony Stark's programming, built his suit, to an Iron Man level, to combat specific foes. You can't hack a genius's work without being the same level or higher than he is.

Bruce Wayne genius is more of street smarts. It is more like IQ vs EQ. EQ can be gained with experience and dedication, and of course, fundings... Well, he got Parker beat with that...

eMJay19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: What you said does not prove that Norman Osborn is smarter than Peter Parker, it just proves that Norman Osborn is smarter than those people he outsmarted.

YouSmokeWeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man has Bruce Banner lvl iq, but he ain't a scientist(technically he is), meaning he doesn't have a personal laboratory or a batcave(cause he broke most of the time) thus people think he is only street smart.

eMJay19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By eMJay19

@psy4: That's what makes Peter Parker one of the best heroes, he doesn't use his abilities for personal gain. Maybe kind of idiotic because he is doing something that will never gain him anything... But aren't heroes suppose to be like that, humble, selfless?

YouSmokeWeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emjay19 said:

You are all comparing Peter Parker to other geniuses such as Hank Pim, Tony Stark, Reed Richard, Bruce Banner, Bruce Wayne, and etc. But bare in mind that they have different specialties. It's like asking "Who is smarter, Darwin or Tesla?".

Peter Parker, however, stepped into their field of expertise and impress even them. Heck Peter hacked Tony Stark's programming, built his suit, to an Iron Man level, to combat specific foes. You can't hack a genius's work without being the same level or higher than he is.

Bruce Wayne genius is more of street smarts. It is more like IQ vs EQ. EQ can be gained with experience and dedication, and of course, fundings... Well, he got Parker beat with that...

Tesla stomps Darwin, one dude was possibly the greatest inventor ever, the other dude came up with a theory, which gets discredited all the time.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's still in the tier just below Reed/Doom level.

eMJay19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By eMJay19
    Psy4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emjay19 said:

@psy4: That's what makes Peter Parker one of the best heroes, he doesn't use his abilities for personal gain. Maybe kind of idiotic because he is doing something that will never gain him anything... But aren't heroes suppose to be like that, humble, selfless?

Hmm. I don't think that's a good way to look at it. That term "personal gain" is loaded and is wrongly correlated with the ability to attain wealth. I'll explain. He doesn't have to be rich but nothing stops him from being self-sustaining in a way that will help him be an even more efficient superhero so he can do the most good.

The assumption that having money is inherently evil is flawed. It isn't, especially if he's acquiring it not out of greed but in order to facilitate his own form of philanthropy. Reed Richards has an uncountable number of patents for useful technology that has improved lives on Earth 616 significantly. Same to Tony Stark once he shifted his company from weapons and military contracting to providing clean energy, transport and many other useful lifestyle innovations. The same goes for Bruce Wayne in all the different ways he facilitates economic resurgence and overall improvement of Gotham and the world via WayneTech. They are rich specifically due to their contributions to the world and their wealth is further used to improve their ability to do good.

So personal gain is not money per se. Personal gain is personal gain whether money is involved or not. Lex Luther is a criminal because of his actions, not because he has money. Same goes for any other high-wealth villain. Money is not evil, especially when the products or services provided can allow a superhero to do what they do better. Money is part of the power and Peter Parker is responsible enough to wield it. Not a lot. Just enough to make Aunt May comfortable and safe in his absence. Enough to get materials to improve his suit and equipment or sideline some of his more mundane worries so he can be the best Spider-Man he can be.

This applies to adult Peter by the way. The broke little teen was always fine. The more experienced adult with bigger responsibilities is different.

eMJay19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psy4:

Money is not evil my friend, nor does inheriting it.

Peter started becoming Spider-Man when he was a teenager. He doesn't have any connections (Reed Richard, Hank Pym, etc.) that can help him, and he did not inherit money (Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, etc.).

As an adult, no one is stopping him to use his abilities to get more resources as Octavius did when he was in Peter's body. Except as soon as Peter took over, all that resources are starting to dwindle bit by bit... Does this mean that he is not as good as Octavius? I don't think so because right after Peter took over his body, his company became an international company but because of his PARKER LUCK, all his hard work will be wasted. I mean, even an ordinary man can't lose money that fast, he's not even gambling or taking stupid risks.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By blackspidey2099

@emjay19: Peter's great, but he just isn't as smart as Reed or Doom, like come on. They're the smartest people in the universe, experts at every possible field, etc.

YouSmokeWeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emjay19: I think writers wanted to make Peter poor cause it's more relatable for the readers, don't think it has anything to do with his intelligence.

Also, there is no correlation between high iq & wealth. Pete could gather millions by becoming an athlete, it ain't that hard.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pis smart. Otherwise, peter is a savant. Good but not great at many things which involve his own personal desires with his time, which is being a superhero and a survivor.

BatmanandRobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pis smart. Otherwise, peter is a savant. Good but not great at many things which involve his own personal desires with his time, which is being a superhero and a survivor.

Avatar image for chrollolucilfer
    ChrolloLucilfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter Parker's IQ is 145. It was stated in the Ultimate universe.

To deal with the claim that Peter has an IQ of 250, he has done nothing beyond making web shooters and at his best he runs a company and has a few suits that he never really uses. Even with all of Marvel's best attempt to hype their next gen characters Peter has not been living upto the 250 IQ standard.

Talking of Brains, he is impressive but not a 250 IQ impressive.

The likes of Reed, Pym and Stark leave him in dust at any attempt.

Peter doesn't cut it to be in Marvels top 10 smartest list.

1. Victor Von Doom

2. Reed Richards

3. Tony Stark

4. Hank Pym

5. Bruce Bannera

6. T'Challa

7. Hank McCoy

8. Charles Xavier

9. Amadeus Cho

10. Valeria

There are still a couple more before Parker is on the list.

He will be within 20 but not before 15.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knutcracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrollolucilfer: Doom isn't smarter than Reed, and Valeria is smarter than them both

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyggen: Even statements-wise, Peter has better statements than most of those other heroes. I mean, how many of them have direct statements saying that they’ve equalled Reed Richards’ test scores? Feats-wise, he blows almost everyone below Reed/Doom/Pym out the window.

Avatar image for deactivated-62bb20d3566c2
    deactivated-62bb20d3566c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Avatar image for deactivated-6025c60aa67c8
    deactivated-6025c60aa67c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

way smarter than goku

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.