Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Revenge or Forgiveness (35 votes)

Revenge for Justice 54%
Forgiveness 46%

if you are betrayed by close people whom you care for and have known for a long time like brothers, you have struggled together for years in joy and sorrow, suddenly they stab you in the back, deceive and take everything that you are fighting for together. You are betrayed, treated like trash, left to rot and die. what would you do if you were faced with two choices: take revenge or forgive them?

What's your honest opinion?

No Caption Provided

• 
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#1 Lunacyde  Moderator

Forgiveness is the correct path.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ed112579360
deactivated-60ed112579360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Forgiveness

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not that I'm big on forgiveness, but my fits of anger usually end with the conclusion that revenge takes an amount of effort and energy I'm not willing to spend for aholes.

Avatar image for deactivated-60ee0713dd622
deactivated-60ee0713dd622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll just hold a grudge while I pick my life back up.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By dshipp17

That's one part story of my real life. You have to forgive, but, civil justice is also appropriate; Biblically speaking, and the type of revenge, I avoid that, but, still pursue a sense of justice; based on what I'm experiencing with God, as long as it doesn't devolve into actual hatred with malice; I still have a spot where I can reconcile with this individual, even though civil justice pursuit has been a very long term endeavor; while employment is a big lost, as it was tied to my actual career that I worked so hard to achieve throughout school, where you have to get it back, it's still not worth hatred for me, by the Grace of God, I suppose, but, many people might see it as such; that's probably all this person wants, but, it's like a venom that you have to compartmentalize or have that ability, and, thankfully, I do; fortunately, I just simply didn't know the other individual involved, so, I didn't develop any type of emotional attachment, at all; in that case, it's more like a cerebral, business type of approach, pursing civil justice in that case; so, it's not hatred or malice, it's just a war game.

I've just developed into a person where I don't really let anyone cling to me so emotionally deep that something they did could then lead to to such a state of hatred that I reach a state where I couldn't forgive and, in tern, jeopardize my relationship with God, which is way too high a price. When you can sense that someone's destiny is Hell, you can avoid reaching a state of unforgiveness, hopefully; that's a way that I can use to help me avoid reaching a state of unforgiveness, as I'm someone far more inclined to help people than to harm them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60eee22feddcf
deactivated-60eee22feddcf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgiveness is the right thing to do, but I would only forgive depending on how bad it was. For some things, I can never forgive and need to get revenge on.

Avatar image for deactivated-63348143d7cff
deactivated-63348143d7cff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgiveness will depend on the extent of the betrayal and I can't really tell if the OP is being literal with the descriptions of the betrayal, when he says "left to rot and die", etc. Taking revenge takes too much effort when I'd rather just not associate with the person anymore in most situations.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Forgiveness is my Default but it's Hard not to want Revenge for some things. Very Hard.

bruhmoment6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

depends on what im forgiving/revenging

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lunacyde  Moderator

Revenge is a waste of your life.

frijacks12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde said:

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who would've thought we had so many pacifists here.

elvinisaev42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

It depends.

rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

id forgive them but i sould still punish them and seek justice, not for myself tho so they wouldnt do it again.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Imagine how boring and lame Kill Bill would have been had Beatrice just said I'm going to forgive them for killing my friends, kicking the hell out of me, shooting me in the head, and making me lose my child.

Yeah, screw that. Revenge is a dish best served cold.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lunacyde  Moderator

...because I make my life decisions based on what would make an exciting movie.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: You've already had your say in this thread. Twice.

Nobody said anything about making life decisions based on a movie. Keep turning that other cheek and thinking you are better for it though.

last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would do neither.

Revenge is a waste of time, unless it serves a purpose. If I'm in a situation where I need to show people not to mess with me, or risk becoming a target, that's one thing. But if it's solely for my own sense of catharsis, then it's pointless.

That said, I would not forgive them either. Forgiveness implies a return to status quo. I obviously can't do that, if the betrayal is that serious. I would cease any and all association with that person, and move on with my life as best I can.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

@irishx: You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to question that opinion when your leading and only provided reasoning is that Kill Bill would have been boring if she chose forgiveness. It's nothing personal, I just found that comment interesting.

I wasn't aware there was a limit on how many times you could comment in a thread.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: There's no limit but when we clearly fundamentally disagree (like we do on many things) what's the point in responding to my post? Just to antagonize me? You keep doing you though.

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgiveness is tolerance. Tolerance is weakness. Weakness gets taken advantage of.

Revenge sets the record straight

iknowwhoyouare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trust is like a vase. Once it has been broken, it can never be the same.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lunacyde  Moderator

@irishx: There are a lot of young people on comicvine who may be swayed one way or another by what they see on these forums. Just offering a counterpoint.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lunacyde: That's why I said... you already had your say (or made your point). Twice. Now multiple times. No need to counter my opinion specifically which was really just a funny thought I had.

McFlicky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hold grudges.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lunacyde  Moderator
AchievedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge doesn't really accomplish anything.

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge obviously. Yes, I'm the type to hold grudges especially if you stabbed me in the back and left me to die.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Magian

If what they did to me was really that severe as what you are describing in the OP, then no I don't think I could forgive them. That said, I don't think I would, or most people for that matter, go after them wanting revenge. Those usually happen only in movies. People in RL usually don't the time or the willingness to do so.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge and then forgiveness

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might not forgive that guy, heck I could even get furious over grudges but then again I am pretty submissive to lose, to be honest. It's hard for me to think of someone who broke my trust and left me to die in real life lol.

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between these two options, forgiveness, but I may also seek justice as well.

Not revenge though.

Revenge is evil. Justice is good.

Now, vengeance serving justice is good. I may seek vengeance to serve justice, and temper it with mercy.

I support the death penalty for someone who murdered my loved ones, but I will still pray for his or her soul, and hope he or she receives Confession because I want the person to hopefully turn to Jesus before death so the person goes to Heaven.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lunacyde  Moderator
JaylinFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With all due respect, I don’t think a lot of you guys know the definition of “forgive”. The immediate definition from Google, is to “stop feeling angry or resentful toward (someone) for an offense, flaw, or mistake”. You can still forgive someone, but not forget what they did to you, and still pursue justice.

Taking revenge is self destructive, and shows that you are willing to become just as bad as the person who wronged you. To forgive someone is done not because the person who wronged you deserves it, but because you do and you deserve closure, which leads to inner, mental, and emotional peace.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Lunacyde  Moderator
last0fth3risen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With all due respect, I don’t think a lot of you guys know the definition of “forgive”. The immediate definition from Google, is to “stop feeling angry or resentful toward (someone) for an offense, flaw, or mistake”. You can still forgive someone, but not forget what they did to you, and still pursue justice.

Taking revenge is self destructive, and shows that you are willing to become just as bad as the person who wronged you. To forgive someone is done not because the person who wronged you deserves it, but because you do and you deserve closure, which leads to inner, mental, and emotional peace.

In my mind, forgiveness is more than just not holding a grudge any longer. And it is for the other person's benefit as much as your own. You can't say you forgive someone, and then keep treating them like dirt. If you intend to retaliate against that person in some way, then you're obviously not forgiving them (and you shouldn't have to). You should make your peace with what they did, because holding grudges is not healthy. But if you really want to say "I forgive you", you have to do more than that. That doesn't mean you forget what they did, but you have to be okay with that person from now on. That's why true forgiveness is so difficult, and why it shouldn't be thrown around so lightly.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am easily provoked and when I am provoked, I don't let up, however, I am logical, and would never forgive them, but I would put my life together. But trust me, when that's done, I tarnish there reputation. Everyone we had known together would turn their backs on him, his business would be wrecked because I put the whole story on the news, he's going down. But like I said, that all goes AFTER my life is back together.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Revenge is a waste of time, energy and life...all things that are too prestigious and fleeting to give away to some prick. Of course, it would depend on what they did. But, I couldn't see miself ever wanting revenge.

I can't say I would forgive them. But, I'd rather not focus one someone who crossed mi. Be done with them, walk away and fix what they tarnished. You're only gonna stress yourself out more and even further hurt yourself...Just cut tides, resteady, and move on.

@lunacyde said:

This....

Ya'know, I'm starting to feel like you're our own personal Green Lantern. The Mod of Off-Topic...

d^_^b

Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgiveness

X-Rey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good for the ones who would forgive. I'm not about to go into deep detail explaining my reasons or even debate it. I said what I said and that's it.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lunacyde  Moderator
gdara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I wanna be edgy

Avatar image for deactivated-60e9d095c91dd
deactivated-60e9d095c91dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge

GilbertShiesty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neither, im moving on bcuz im a grown ass man :/

killerboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Revenge if I'm being honest.

JaylinFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Something like this actually happened to me; multiple times I want to say. During one, if not all of those times, I wanted revenge, but now I would forgive them easier since revenge does nothing for me.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends on who specifically committed the offense for me