Why do people think the DCEU is using Darkseid too early?

• 54 results
Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I know Darkseid is not supposed to be until the second Justice League movie, but the way I hear some online talk they think this is another example of the DCEU blowing its load too early (which, admittedly is a problem they had in BvS and a little in Suicide Squad) and that they should have as much build-up for him as Marvel has done for Thanos.

While I can see their point, it's not like Darkseid is the only big bad threat the League has ever faced. DC has the freaking Anti-Monitor for crying out loud. They have the Crime Syndicate, an opposite universe version of the League that I actually think would be really cool to see onscreen. The White Martians. The Black Lantern Corps. Since they haven't been killing off all their villains so far (though they've certainly killed some), maybe even the Injustice League. Etc.

I don't doubt that if Marvel could get the rights back, Thanos wouldn't be their only big, devastating villain to end it all. They'd absolutely use Galactus and Doctor Doom if they could (though I suspect once Infinity War is all over with they might use Kang). Just because Thanos and Darkseid are comparable doesn't mean they have to be given the same exact treatment.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nope. They don't have to spend 10 years to get to him. He can just be another villain. Thanos only needed 10 years because he was trying to acquire multiple well-hidden and protected items across the universe. That takes time. Darkseid is just a guy, he can show up anytime.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

While I do think Darkseid is the biggest threat in the DCU (besides maybe Anti Monitor), that's exactly why they should use him. He's trying to enslave all life on Earth and the universe, what better way to bring the League together? I feel like having the MCU has changed people's thinking on how CBMs need to be made too much. Not everything has to be a slow burn with a lead up. Plus, we probably won't get Darkseid til the sequel anyway.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are adapting not only new 52 butparts of all dc universe history. i assume they are adapting story that was similar to Darkseid in animated series. Darkseid that really uses others for own buisness and doesnt step into battle all the time. Its good however.Either they would need to adapt the new 52 version and unite the league by defeating Darkseid or keep it to later on and focus on caharcter deveolpment etc to make movie goers more familiar with everyone. Steppenwolf looks bad ass though so im not complaining ?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are adapting not only new 52 butparts of all dc universe history. i assume they are adapting story that was similar to Darkseid in animated series. Darkseid that really uses others for own buisness and doesnt step into battle all the time. Its good however.Either they would need to adapt the new 52 version and unite the league by defeating Darkseid or keep it to later on and focus on caharcter deveolpment etc to make movie goers more familiar with everyone. Steppenwolf looks bad ass though so im not complaining ?

And that last point is something I think could turn out to DC's benefit, assuming of course they do it well. Most Marvel fans were a bit upset because they felt Ultron and Zemo were wasted in their roles despite being two very big villains. Most casual comic fans and casual movie-goers are not as familiar with Steppenwolf as other DC villains, so the movie has a bit more breathing room with what they can do with him and how they present him as, with most people being fine with it so long as it's still a good or at least decent villain.

Avatar image for thelastdragonborn
TheLastDragonborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont want dceu to do an infinity war event with DS tbh. I would rather they do something unique with multiverses and stuff.

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dont want dceu to do an infinity war event with DS tbh. I would rather they do something unique with multiverses and stuff.

Well they are already doing Flashpoint.

Superhero24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Superhero24

I would like Ds to be big like Thanos, but they shouldn't do what mcu did. That would take too long. He does have his own infinity gauntlet type of thing to get which is the anti life equation. They are pushing things too quickly though. I eould like a crisis on infinite Earth's main story with the anti - monitor or a blackest night main story.

Druzzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Druzzie

Because fighting a Giant Star fish seems stupid?

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@druzzie said:

Because fighting a Giant Star fish seems stupid?

How did I forget about Starro? He'd be a great villain for a Justice League movie, with practically the entire population of Earth at risk of slowly becoming the League's enemy.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@aros001: most of the league would be get through regular people alright

but I'd like to see Batman do a scene like the church scene from kingsmen except where he tries to keep everyone alive knowing they're innocent

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AbstractRaze

Just only speculating, I think if they're in fact going to pull out Darkseid, it's because to at least compete with Marvel, maybe, who knows, DC is in some way forced to pull one of his best cards, in order to match the advantage of its competitor 'Marvel', I think it's a bit risky in a long term, but if they are successful, it could flourish whit positive results.

mimisalome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mimisalome

I think its because Darkseid is way up there in the big bad hierarchy considering that he is one of the more popular top tier villain of Superman (which is 1 of the 2 main flagship character of DC the other is Batman).

Any other top villains are more like arch enemies of comparatively less significant superheroes (eg: Black Lantern Corp to Green Lantern) or have very little public exposure/less well known (eg: Anti Monitor).

So i think most people dont expect to see him early specially if they have yet to see villain characters like Brainiac or something first.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

I don't doubt that if Marvel could get the rights back, Thanos wouldn't be their only big, devastating villain to end it all. They'd absolutely use Galactus and Doctor Doom if they could (though I suspect once Infinity War is all over with they might use Kang). Just because Thanos and Darkseid are comparable doesn't mean they have to be given the same exact treatment.

FOX owns the rights to Kang.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Darkseid is not the only option. They're lot of villains that can be used DC owns all of it's characters.

apewar012467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I do think Darkseid is the biggest threat in the DCU (besides maybe Anti Monitor), that's exactly why they should use him. He's trying to enslave all life on Earth and the universe, what better way to bring the League together? I feel like having the MCU has changed people's thinking on how CBMs need to be made too much. Not everything has to be a slow burn with a lead up. Plus, we probably won't get Darkseid til the sequel anyway.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001 said:

FOX owns the rights to Kang.

Really? Huh. I guess I've just come to know him more as an Avengers villain than a Fantastic Four villain (though I do get why that is).

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By righteous300

DC doesn't have some all power item that can be dragged out across a bunch of movies. So no, it's not too soon

Heatforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The MCU had 6 movies in their phase 1 and teased Thanos at the end of Avengers. The DCEU will have 5 movies come JL and teased the armies of Apokolips in BvS. JL is the first wave of their attack so Darkseid himself hasn't been teased yet, just his armies and a general.

MonkeyStarship

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because the MCU took nearly ten years to get to Thanos

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't realize people were against this

Avatar image for superdragonfly9
SuperDragonfly9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anti Monitor would be way too early because his presence means the end of a generation and era.

I wish the villan for the first JL movie was Darkseid + his army like the DCAU when lex bats and supes teamed up to stop Darkseid. And the second movie be JL vs Legion Of Doom. Nobody gives af about SteppenWolf he is only set up for Darkseid.

But being in the movie he is more or less probably going to receive some Continent feats since Doomsday is Country level

I would like to see Legion Of Doom in a JL movie but they would have to set them all up before the movie which I don't see them doing in a Darkseid movie https://youtu.be/Xkv1ApSSCSI

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I agree he's just a dude that can show up and freak stuff up. No need for a build up, Thanos has a complex story...Darkseid really doesn't; even though the character himself is complex.

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean he can just come back

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I think that even if we do see him in Justice League, it will be as a cameo. The earliest he'll be a main villain is Justice League 2.

MBCB2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aros001: because they can't compete with marvel otherwise

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Early? We don't even know if he is in Justice League, and if he isn't we don't know when Justice League 2 (or whatever it'll be called) will see the light of day at the rate Warners moves with the DCEU.

TheReccher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheReccher

Probably so it's after Thanos wears off of people's memories and we don't get a hoard of ill-informed jackasses saying Darkseid's a "Thanos rip-off."

Sly_141

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like playing the ace in your sleeve as soon as the game starts

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, I think they can do Anti-Monitor or Larfleeze later on

Quinlan58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849: Larfleeze is a massive step down from Darkseid, and Hal can probably deal with him himself (not beat him, mind you, just trick him into not attacking).

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quinlan58: Yeah true, hes really powerful though., he'd cause some problems for the JL. Maybe in a Green lantern movie instead?

exav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By exav3n

its not like i dont like them using Darkseid and i dont need them to have 20 movies before they use him either, BUT what i wanted was knowing the characters more before they hit something big like Darkseid, i would want to see Batman against the Joker before he encounters Darkseid, i would want to see Flash encounter Reverse Flash before he encounters Darkseid, i would want to see Superman encounter Lex Luthor before they did Darkseid or even Doomsday, i would even take Brainiac before Darkseid 20 movies is too long 4 or how many they have is too little, the other thing is Steppenwolf seems to little Darkseid seems to much its kinda weird... and yes i dont count the Lex in BVS or Joker in Suicide squad because they f.......both of them up and it was not focused on their rivalry but on some other storyline

now we are starting the universe with a Flash that cant fight, an Old Batman that we didnt see in action against any of his opponents other that 15 seconds on a car... in a movie that will not be connected with JL at all, and we already had BvS and death of superman and a weird lex without a connection to superman in one movie... and now they talking about Flashpoint already :D omg... they doing everything too fast too many storylines in too little movies together and in a bad order, we got a superman that killed zod in his first movie then was hated and feared and died and now we should believe all the HOPE talk because of one fight on TV against Doomsday that was kinda only there because Superman was soooo....

there is sooo much wrong with the DCEU its not even funny...

/venting off

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exav3n: They're not fighting Darkseid first, they're fighting Steppenwolf (one of darkseids elite). The JL 2 Movie doesnt come out until 2019 I think (this is the movie when they will be actually confronting and fighting Darkseid) By that time, we wouldve had an Aquaman movie, Flash movie, Shazam and a Batman movie.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9
deactivated-5d731ee5de2e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exav3n: so much wrong with this comment its not even funny

exav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 i know but that's kind of a problem too as i said Steppenwolf seems to little and i know they will do the whole fighting an army thing like Avengers i would still like it more if they had one bigger enemy or at least add someone like Kalibak and make it a duo that would be cool, that still doesn't fix the rest of my complains that they in general do big storylines too soon, if they do Flashpoint that's another one right there... i wouldn't be surprised if Shazam would be delayed its also kind of weird to see a step down like we saw trinity fight Doomsday first and now Bats gets a solo movie, one of the things i like about MCU is that they are building up to something big in Thanos, there is zero buildup in DCEU the movies might as well take place in different universes so far, the only thing connecting them is BvS so far, also now they kind off need to use Darkseid in the next JL movie even if they didn't want to because the build up would fade again if they dont and it will anyway if we have random movies in between that dont connect, for example i really liked wonder woman but considering it took place so far in the past it was great for setting the character up but didnt add much to whats going on now

btw to your previous comment i hope they do larfleeze in green lanterns i love him the whole green lantern universe has so much great characters and villains imo they could do a better movie universe with that alone than mcu and dceu combined :D and thats coming from someone that started and only read the new 52 lantern stories so far, that is saying something, if i hope the DCEU does something right i hope its green lanterns

Avatar image for deactivated-5caa8c47e8598
deactivated-5caa8c47e8598

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because MCU. People want the DCEU to do the same thing with Darkseid as Marvel did with Thanos... Build up his character over a few cameos and hype up his arrival for ten years. They can't accept that DC might have a different plan with Darkseid than Marvel has with Thanos.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because MCU. People want the DCEU to do the same thing with Darkseid as Marvel did with Thanos... Build up his character over a few cameos and hype up his arrival for ten years. They can't accept that DC might have a different plan with Darkseid than Marvel has with Thanos.

Exactly, I want them to have a different plan to Marvel but critics and other people (some ppl in this thread for e.g) have sucked off Marvels structure and will expect DC to follow the structure as well, otherwise its a terrible movie lmao.

exav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 said:
@scott_summers52 said:

Exactly, I want them to have a different plan to Marvel but critics and other people (some ppl in this thread for e.g) have sucked off Marvels structure and will expect DC to follow the structure as well, otherwise its a terrible movie lmao.

to me it seems more like they want to catch up with marvel then having some big elaborate universe in the works, i dont mind a different direction for example i loved justice league war and there the JL basically met in the same movie that used Darkseid so its not like im totally opposite the idea, and if they executed this catch up game better less people would mind the different plan, the plan to me seems how can we make the most money now and don't fall behind Marvel, BvS is an excellent example of that lets do to much in one movie and slap things together that will sell asap. they do more reaction then planing it seems, but that's ofc just an opinion so don't kill me :D

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exav3n: Kalibak? No lol why would they add him hes too powerful for the current JL, they are supposed to look strong and unite in this first movie , they'll beat Steppenwolf and the small army of parademons when Superman comes or if the guy is Green Lantern, Shazam etc. but Kalibak and Steppenwolf? Nope. Shazam wouldnt get delayed,they've already found Dwayne Johnson to act Black Adam and they can have a lot of fun with that movie (they've got the CGI already etc. wont be too hrd them) and its in production soon, I think they're still finding the right actor for Shazam and Billy. I get why people are saying Flashpoint is pretty early but we've seen mst of the Flash in the tv series and ,as a dc fan myself, I really cba to watch a movie where the first 1 hour is of Barry losing his mother, father in prison (thats actually being done is the JL, It was in the trailer)and getting his powers (I'd like that to be done in quick flashbacks with a maximum duration of 10 minutes, just to show the mainstream audience who know nothing about the flash. The build ups fine imo.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exav3n said:

@tj849 i know but that's kind of a problem too as i said Steppenwolf seems to little and i know they will do the whole fighting an army thing like Avengers i would still like it more if they had one bigger enemy or at least add someone like Kalibak and make it a duo that would be cool, that still doesn't fix the rest of my complains that they in general do big storylines too soon, if they do Flashpoint that's another one right there... i wouldn't be surprised if Shazam would be delayed its also kind of weird to see a step down like we saw trinity fight Doomsday first and now Bats gets a solo movie, one of the things i like about MCU is that they are building up to something big in Thanos, there is zero buildup in DCEU the movies might as well take place in different universes so far, the only thing connecting them is BvS so far, also now they kind off need to use Darkseid in the next JL movie even if they didn't want to because the build up would fade again if they dont and it will anyway if we have random movies in between that dont connect, for example i really liked wonder woman but considering it took place so far in the past it was great for setting the character up but didnt add much to whats going on now

btw to your previous comment i hope they do larfleeze in green lanterns i love him the whole green lantern universe has so much great characters and villains imo they could do a better movie universe with that alone than mcu and dceu combined :D and thats coming from someone that started and only read the new 52 lantern stories so far, that is saying something, if i hope the DCEU does something right i hope its green lanterns

Also building up something for a pretty long time is a huge risk because what if after all this time Thanos was really bad? If you do a quick buildup it wouldnt hurt as much.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@exav3n: Also I dont think they can catchup to the MCU now, the MCU has been going on for such a long time and its neally coming to its end (DCEU will probably be around mid-way by this time)

CitizenSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because they're playing catch-up and rushing everything they try to make.

BabyDarkseid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anti-monitor is a step down from darkseid in the new52 darkseid beats anti-monitor

darkseid is the top villain of DC in the new52

exav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By exav3n

@tj849 i don't want another long origin story either i just would want a flash story not necessarily Flashpoint and Flashpoint would fit better later on in an established universe, again it doesn't need to be a build up the same way that marvel does it i dont need them to hint at him for 5 movies with a build up i also mean strength wise in enemies i like the justice league to be an established strong team before they use Darkseid they would not need to mention him at all before, i just feel like he would fit more later on and im afraid we see a decline after him,

oh and what if Thanos sucks ? well wouldn't be the first or last marvel villain ... :D its not like DC hit any homeruns with luthor, doomsday, enchantress and her brother or old Englishman Ares, and this is just an assumption but i expect that Superman will join them at the end to fight off Steppenwolf so we will have a 6 man Justice league yet i somehow should expect the same team + maaaaybe Shazam to beat a full invasion of Darkseid a year and 3 solo movies later but they could not handle Steppenwolf and Kalibak now i just dont see that. When between JL 1 and JL 2 will be time for them to get stronger i doubt they add too many characters between now and then.

exav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tj849 said:

@exav3n: Also I dont think they can catchup to the MCU now, the MCU has been going on for such a long time and its neally coming to its end (DCEU will probably be around mid-way by this time)

i dont think they can either thats why they should stop trying cause it looks like they want to end it before it even begins considering the stories they use

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

anti-monitor is a step down from darkseid in the new52 darkseid beats anti-monitor

darkseid is the top villain of DC in the new52

Then who should we get after Darkseid then? I personally think they need to do the anti monitor at some point but maybe do a supervillain group like Legion of Doom, Crime syndicate etc.

Thesenate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm fine with a big bad like Darkseid for a bombastic JL2. I can see the issue being "where do we go from here?" coming up but I HOPE the folks at DC/WB can up the ante after Darkseid. I mean they are smart enough to do that...right? I always had the hope that Lex could build up to the Legion of Doom as the movies progressed but I feel like that's a pipe dream. I also don't want to see characters specific to certain heroes be used as JL movie level threats I.E. Braniac