TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By TheMetalGearZero
No Caption Provided

So; they've both released some great content (and some admittedly bad ones too), they've all got their own unique set of characters, their own stories etc. etc. Some of their characters/plots appeal to specific audiences with personal preferences. So - which universe appeals to you more? Which are you more into? MARVEL or DC?

Personally, I like MARVEL much more - not only their comics, but I like their cartoons and movies, and their characters in general just appeal to me. I think it's a much cooler universe - and portrays how this world would be with heroes more realistically then DC, and because most of DC's heroes are power houses, it just doesn't appeal very much too me. So, what about you guys? Share your opinions below!!

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By rev_sulphur

I like both of them for different reason. I don't view one over the other.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel.

Avatar image for themetalgearzero
TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fair enough.

Marvel.

Reasons?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC. I like their characters, comics, movies, games, animations and TV shows more than Marvel's.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMetalGearZero

@rustyroy said:

DC. I like their characters, comics, movies, games, animations and TV shows more than Marvel's.

Speaking of which; who is your favourite DC character?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

Batman and Flash.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@themetalgearzero said:

@rustyroy said:

Batman and Flash.

So, do you like MARVEL but you like DC more?

Or do you not like MARVEL at all?

flameboy298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By flameboy298

Ugh.This is so hard for me to say...

I mean I used to be in love with DC I watched all the shows, and everything until I started watching the Marvel movies than I started reading the Marvel comics.However recently I've been going back to DC and reading some of their stuff I love all the pre-new 52 stuff.I'll say both for right now, but by the end of the week i'll be saying DC probably.

I would say both for now

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Marvel but I like DC a lot more.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I think many of these go back to who "appealed" to you when you first read comics. In the 70's, the first title that really appealed to me was "The Legion of Super-heroes" (Back then "Superboy and the Legion of Super-heroes.") Teen age heroes 1000 years hence. How unique! I first got into Marvel in the early 80's with Frank Miller's Daredevil. At that same time, Marvel also had the Claremont/Byrne X-Men. DC had the O'Neal/Adams run on GL and Batman, and the Englehart/Rogers run Detective, but not much else. Marvel, at that time, was doing a good job with about 3/4 of their books..so I knew Marvel was better, but still had a soft spot for DC, because they got me into comics. Shortly thereafter, a funny thing happened. Lots of that Marvel talent began to work for DC. Miller was doing Batman stuff, Wolfman and Perez started their Titans run, Byrne followed up with his Superman run a few years later. Gerry Conway, who had created The Punisher and killed Gwen Stacey, went to Batman and created Killer Croc and Jason Todd. Keith Giffen started helping out with my beloved Legion of Super-Heroes and he and Paul Levitt did a great run on that book for 5 years. Now, DC actually was better (though Marvel still had better sales figures, but the gap was closing.) Since my soft spot for DC as still there, AND they were better, it was clear to me, DC was the choice. It stayed that way for close to ten years. My mindset was now fully formed. For Marvel to overtake DC for me, Marvel would have to increase their quality exponentially, and DC would have to tank it completely. Neither has happened.

Then..funny thing part 2: The 90's came along, and both companies took a nose-dive. Now it was like choosing the lesser of two evils. Both had some good stuff in the 90's, but neither was consistent.

Today: I get more DC titles than Marvel by a 2:1 margin. if I rated each series, and averaged it out, I actually like my Marvel titles slightly more over the past 6 months to a year. This is not enough for me to change my allegiance.

But like I said, I think it goes back to when you started. If the first book to really capture my imagination was Thor or Captain America or The Avengers, I'd probably be a Marvel guy today.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think many of these go back to who "appealed" to you when you first read comics. In the 70's, the first title that really appealed to me was "The Legion of Super-heroes" (Back then "Superboy and the Legion of Super-heroes.") Teen age heroes 1000 years hence. How unique! I first got into Marvel in the early 80's with Frank Miller's Daredevil. At that same time, Marvel also had the Claremont/Byrne X-Men. DC had the O'Neal/Adams run on GL and Batman, and the Englehart/Rogers run Detective, but not much else. Marvel, at that time, was doing a good job with about 3/4 of their books..so I knew Marvel was better, but still had a soft spot for DC, because they got me into comics. Shortly thereafter, a funny thing happened. Lots of that Marvel talent began to work for DC. Miller was doing Batman stuff, Wolfman and Perez started their Titans run, Byrne followed up with his Superman run a few years later. Gerry Conway, who had created The Punisher and killed Gwen Stacey, went to Batman and created Killer Croc and Jason Todd. Keith Giffen started helping out with my beloved Legion of Super-Heroes and he and Paul Levitt did a great run on that book for 5 years. Now, DC actually was better (though Marvel still had better sales figures, but the gap was closing.) Since my soft spot for DC as still there, AND they were better, it was clear to me, DC was the choice. It stayed that way for close to ten years. My mindset was now fully formed. For Marvel to overtake DC for me, Marvel would have to increase their quality exponentially, and DC would have to tank it completely. Neither has happened.

Then..funny thing part 2: The 90's came along, and both companies took a nose-dive. Now it was like choosing the lesser of two evils. Both had some good stuff in the 90's, but neither was consistent.

Today: I get more DC titles than Marvel by a 2:1 margin. if I rated each series, and averaged it out, I actually like my Marvel titles slightly more over the past 6 months to a year. This is not enough for me to change my allegiance.

But like I said, I think it goes back to when you started. If the first book to really capture my imagination was Thor or Captain America or The Avengers, I'd probably be a Marvel guy today.

Long and detailed post; awesome! I'm glad you're enjoying both publishers.

@rustyroy said:

@themetalgearzero said:

I like Marvel but I like DC a lot more.

Fair enough...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#14  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I like both. Each are better at certain aspects.

Overall, I like Marvel's "street/low strength" characters more than DC's. But I like DC's "high tier" characters more than Marvel's.

I don't really care much about the cosmic aspect about either. I'm only reading 1 title from each that falls under that category.

I vastly prefer the Justice League to the Avengers or X-Men. Even the side team - like JLU right now is thoroughly enjoyable while almost every Avenger and X-Men book is boring.

My favorite character from each is Aquaman and Spider-Man.

Historically I've read more Marvel comics than DC - especially if you don't include Vertigo titles. (Vertigo shits on Marvel MAX imo too) Mostly due to the fact that I've read more Spider-Man than any other character (by a long shot). Though I'm actually currently pulling more from DC than Marvel.

Lastly I would say as a universe overall....Valiant stomps...and in terms of quality of books putting out....Image stomps... <_<

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMetalGearZero

@fallschirmjager:

Good to know; and all sorts of awesome. Mind if I ask; how much Spidey have you read? Sorry, I'm a very curious person.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@themetalgearzero: Lets see...

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-160 (+ extras for a total of 171 issues). Ultimate Fallout 1-6, Ultimate Six 1-7

616-

ASM 1-125 (v1) - Stan's run + a little extra including the Night Gwen Stacy Died

225-325 (v1) - Stern/Romita Jr run, DaFalco's first run and Michelinie/McFarlane run

1-58 (v2) - Mackie/Byrne and JMS/Romita Jr

500-700 (v1) - rest of JMS' run, all of Brand New Day and Big Time (mostly Slott's work)

1-26 SSM (ugh) - Slott

Every ASM issue since the current relaunch including the 700.x, the 1.x and the standard issue.

Every issue in which Black Cat Appears (including a large portion of Spectacular Spider-Man, when she has a presence, I think issues 50-100 or something like that). <3 Black Cat (fu Slott)

Every issue in which Venom appears

Maximum Carnage

Kraven's Last Hunt

Spider-Man: Blue

Venom 1-42 + extras - (Flash as Venom)

Scarlet Spider 1-25 - Yost

---

Overall I'd ballpark it around 800~ issues of Spider-Man related titles I've read. By far the most. The next closest is Aquaman, who I've read about 200~ issues of (not including his JLA appearances). I actually need to read his classic run at some point, but I've never got around to it.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: Lets see...

Ultimate Spider-Man 1-160 (+ extras for a total of 171 issues). Ultimate Fallout 1-6, Ultimate Six 1-7

616-

ASM 1-125 (v1) - Stan's run + a little extra including the Night Gwen Stacy Died

225-325 (v1) - Stern/Romita Jr run, DaFalco's first run and Michelinie/McFarlane run

1-58 (v2) - Mackie/Byrne and JMS/Romita Jr

500-700 (v1) - rest of JMS' run, all of Brand New Day and Big Time (mostly Slott's work)

1-26 SSM (ugh) - Slott

Every ASM issue since the current relaunch including the 700.x, the 1.x and the standard issue.

Every issue in which Black Cat Appears (including a large portion of Spectacular Spider-Man, when she has a presence, I think issues 50-100 or something like that). <3 Black Cat (fu Slott)

Every issue in which Venom appears

Maximum Carnage

Kraven's Last Hunt

Spider-Man: Blue

Venom 1-42 + extras - (Flash as Venom)

Scarlet Spider 1-25 - Yost

---

Overall I'd ballpark it around 800~ issues of Spider-Man related titles I've read. By far the most. The next closest is Aquaman, who I've read about 200~ issues of (not including his JLA appearances).

Oh my... FREAKING GOD!

You make me look like child's play... and that's coming from someone who's favourite character is Spidey. I've set a goal to read all 700 issues of TASM. I've begun today, and I've read up to 5+ issues on TASM, and I'm working myself onto Issue 6.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: Haha. Its pretty hard to read all of that, I would pace yourself.

For a long time Spider-Man was the only character I ever read. That's why I read so much.

My favorite is by far the USM run though, especially the first 110-120 issues when its Bendis/Bagley ever single time. The consistency of work they did on that title is magnificent.

Avatar image for dathomiesilversurfer
DatHomieSilverSurfer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

marvel, i prefer the writing style. Peoples argument for DC is that it is more gritty and mature, in general I disagree. Marvel manages to be more mature without pandering to 14 year old boys looking for gore using intelligent writing and wit. But there are some great books at DC as well like Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns (two I follow currently)

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@themetalgearzero: Haha. Its pretty hard to read all of that, I would pace yourself.

For a long time Spider-Man was the only character I ever read. That's why I read so much.

My favorite is by far the USM run though, especially the first 110-120 issues when its Bendis/Bagley ever single time. The consistency of work they did on that title is magnificent.

I'm reading 5 issues a day! I'll read another 5 tomorrow. I understand... I've got a digital comics subscription (14 000 MARVEL Comics!) and everything I read is Spidey... literally, he's addictive.

marvel, i prefer the writing style. Peoples argument for DC is that it is more gritty and mature, in general I disagree. Marvel manages to be more mature without pandering to 14 year old boys looking for gore using intelligent writing and wit. But there are some great books at DC as well like Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns (two I follow currently)

DC has spanned great story; but MARVEL's tone/writing style/characters just win me over. And their films are brilliant... GOTG will be the best CBM. I'll be watching GOTG in 7-8 days!

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By Thor-Parker

Marvel.

Better comics, movies, tv shows. Everything in Marvel is better in my opinion

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

image......

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

KidPhillip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess I slighty prefer DC because of Flash, Batman, and Shazam.

Xmen tho are really cool

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll break it down like this. In terms of characters in the respective universes, I appeal to marvel more. They are much more relateable. Spiderman and ironman are very relatable characters. Ironman used to have a problem with alcoholism and peter has to juggle like a million different activities at once. These are both very real issues in a lot of homes. It's very rare you'll find someone who's parents died and left their only son with billions of money. So to me marvels characters are more relatable. Now in terms of comics. I appeal to marvel because of the happy nature of the comics. Yes serious events happen such as age of ultron but the stories are often riddled with jokes by the characters partaking in the adventures. DC is very serious, and that's not a bad thing. But it doesn't appeal to me. In terms of video games, I personally mostly play fighting games. I don't play shooters or adventure games. So in terms of fighting games DC I think wins. Injustice is a very balanced game with very unique characters. Not every character is the same and I like that. Ultimate Marvel vs capcom 3 is definitely a lot of fun, in my opinion more fun to play than injustice, but it's broken lol. Some of the characters severely outclass the majority of them. In terms of tv shows and cartoon movies I give it to DC. Marvel is too childish I think in terms of tv shows. Ultimate spiderman, I'm looking at you. On terms of cinematic big screen movies I give it to marvel. DC has some great films with the batman trilogy and the new supes movie, but marvel has been producing block buster after block buster. With ironman trilogy thors 1.2 and captain america 1.2 the avengers being the best super hero movie of all time in my opinion. DOFP was phenomenal! I personally loved TASM2 as well. Let's not forget GOTG is coming out very shortly here in the states. I just don't think DC has the repertoire to compete. That's my synopsis on this thread.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mrnoital

I totally get your thing about some dc characters tending to be bigger powerhouses, but dc also has a lot more heroes without any powers at all

heres a link to a wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_superheroes_and_villains_without_superpowers

I read both, but being a newer reader I tend to prefer DC over Marvel

its easier to catch up and not get lost in a ton of ridiculous history

plus I'm not a fan of how marvel usually deals with time travel

completely forgetting or ignoring the butterfly effect

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll break it down like this. In terms of characters in the respective universes, I appeal to marvel more. They are much more relateable. Spiderman and ironman are very relatable characters. Ironman used to have a problem with alcoholism and peter has to juggle like a million different activities at once. These are both very real issues in a lot of homes. It's very rare you'll find someone who's parents died and left their only son with billions of money. So to me marvels characters are more relatable. Now in terms of comics. I appeal to marvel because of the happy nature of the comics. Yes serious events happen such as age of ultron but the stories are often riddled with jokes by the characters partaking in the adventures. DC is very serious, and that's not a bad thing. But it doesn't appeal to me. In terms of video games, I personally mostly play fighting games. I don't play shooters or adventure games. So in terms of fighting games DC I think wins. Injustice is a very balanced game with very unique characters. Not every character is the same and I like that. Ultimate Marvel vs capcom 3 is definitely a lot of fun, in my opinion more fun to play than injustice, but it's broken lol. Some of the characters severely outclass the majority of them. In terms of tv shows and cartoon movies I give it to DC. Marvel is too childish I think in terms of tv shows. Ultimate spiderman, I'm looking at you. On terms of cinematic big screen movies I give it to marvel. DC has some great films with the batman trilogy and the new supes movie, but marvel has been producing block buster after block buster. With ironman trilogy thors 1.2 and captain america 1.2 the avengers being the best super hero movie of all time in my opinion. DOFP was phenomenal! I personally loved TASM2 as well. Let's not forget GOTG is coming out very shortly here in the states. I just don't think DC has the repertoire to compete. That's my synopsis on this thread.

True... a bulk of this is very true. MARVEL characters are much more relatable... and I enjoy the light tones of MARVEL much more then DC. Dunno - personal preference.

proto3296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By proto3296
Guru_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 559

#29  Edited By Guru_Crack

@themetalgearzero: I really like Marvel (have read so many comics) watched the movies and TV shows.

Personally movies I got to give the edge to DC (Batman really dominated all over hero movies)

Animated TV Shows - Was very tough but Marvel got the edge.

Live Action TV Shows - Sorry Marvel but Agents of Shield is boring. Gotta be a win for DC

Comics - Sorry Marvel but DC again.

Characters - This one is very difficult as both companies have released some great characters and I would call this even overall.

I find the storytelling in DC as a whole is better, not saying marvel storytelling is crap. I have read plenty of Good Marvel Comics but never a great one. Whereas I have read loads of great DC books. I started off buying a few of each to give both companies a fair try but in comics I found Marvel just couldn't compete with the quality.

_Atomikill_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

DC.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

One thing I'll always feel the need to correct..DC and Marvel DO NOT compete with each other in the movies category. Neither DC or Marvel has much, if any say in which movies get made. (So people saying "DC won't make a Wonder Woman movie, is incorrect, DC has no control over that.) That "battle" is between WB and Disney. Those movie studios will decide which movies get made, who is cast in them, what the story will be,etc...and both WB and Disney (or Sony/Fox) are more concerned with their movie's marketability overall, not just the super-hero genre. The DC vs Marvel in the movies, I feel exist ONLY in places like this board. Same with video games. I don't think either company has much pull there either.

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like DC for their animated movies and GL comics. I LOVE Marvel for everything else.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dc but Cyclops is favorite character and I love the X-Men.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#35 the_stegman  Moderator

I have always liked DC more than Marvel, I like the heroes better, the stories are better and the villains MUCH better. And yes, I even like the movies more. Watchmen and TDK trilogy>>Any film Marvel has made, imo.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

For comics it's probably Marvel. Not sure with the other media.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

While Daredevil has always been my favorite character I was always a DC guy until the New 52 came around.Now make mine Marvel!!!

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm losing interest in both. Been reading some Wildstorm from the 90's when they were independent, some good stuff.

I like Marvel and DC fairly equally.

Mr_Clockwork91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since my favorite character is Vic Sage, I'll say DC.

MannEffest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

Considering i have more Marvel books on my pull list by a wide-margin (I still don't know exactly why I flock to them more), I'm going to have to give this to Marvel in all categories; TV (BARELY), movies and comics.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Eh, There things I like with both companies. I just tend to gravitate to DC more

And being "relateable" is a load of horse hockey hehe

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

For the most part DC. Them possessing Vertigo is nice.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Marvel. I enjoy the make up and the style of the universe more, the archetypes used for characters, and have more writers I enjoy there more. Though I do enjoy DC as well though. Would be doing myself a disservice by avoiding one company over another.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Make Mine Marvel! In all seriousness I have favorite characters from both the big two just happens there are more I like from Marvel.

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC but the new 52 displeases me.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

DC has my favorite characters, mainly the those in the JL, and those associated with them, and their villains. I like Marvel too, they have a lot of characters that I like as well.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow Batman may not be a particularly relatable character, is supporting cast as the most relatable human characters in comics.

Marvel actually makes sense more than DC in terms of powers, capabilities, and the decisions that characters make. If you take out bat titles storylines, there really isn't anything 10 years ago that anyone can really remember.

people will remember the Civil War arc and the aftermath for a while. the new x-men from the late 90 S will still be remembered years from now.

I really dont need two mention how much of Spiderman people will remember from that time. Of the early 2000 s today and will be remembered later.

PS. Death of Superman and Parallax. Twenty years ago. Then nothing.

Mooty_Pass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: The ONLY thing I can agree with you on is the Tv show, but the X-Men do have better shows than the Avengers.

TheMetalGearZero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@senglord said:

Wow Batman may not be a particularly relatable character, is supporting cast as the most relatable human characters in comics.

Marvel actually makes sense more than DC in terms of powers, capabilities, and the decisions that characters make. If you take out bat titles storylines, there really isn't anything 10 years ago that anyone can really remember.

people will remember the Civil War arc and the aftermath for a while. the new x-men from the late 90 S will still be remembered years from now.

I really dont need two mention how much of Spiderman people will remember from that time. Of the early 2000 s today and will be remembered later.

PS. Death of Superman and Parallax. Twenty years ago. Then nothing.

He isn't relatable at all.

algorhythm511

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By algorhythm511

I started reading Marvel when I was a kid, stopped reading comics all together, and now I largely read DC. Personally, I do find that Marvel does have characters that are more relatable by their characteristics.

However, Green Arrow is the most realistic IMHO. If you read his pre-52 (I am not up to date with N52), he tackles issues like AIDS, drugs, poverty, etc. He realizes how fiction his world is without realizing he is fiction himself (he doesn't have the awareness that Deadpool or Ambush Bug have).

DC overall seems to have a more pie in the sky approach to superheroes. As an example, the Avengers are government controlled by SHIELD. The Justice League is a privately funded organization. Marvel heroes seem to get crapped on a lot more even when they are doing the right thing.

For me, my favorites from Marvel are Captain America, Ironman and Black Widow. On the DC side, largely Green Arrow, John Constantine, Batman, Superman, and The Flash. At least those are the comics I purchase.

When I was a kid I was a big X-Men fan and my favorite superhero was Storm, lol.