Marvel or DC which universe is more realistic.

• 115 results
mjdavis105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By mjdavis105

from a scientific,geo- political, and a social interaction standpoint.
ombla2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By ombla2

dc

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Gambit1024

Marvel.  

The attitude toward the superheroes is more realistic and  things take place in real places.  

Science really shouldn't count cause none of it makes sense lol.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Magian

Marvel.

JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JCJQLB

Marvel is more realistic but I prefer Dc

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By InnerVenom123

Marvel.
RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By RedK

DC and Marvel have both shown realism and some unrealistic things but i prefer DC, and they are portrayed as people when their around people like themselves

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AtPhantom

Watchmen beats both.

Avatar image for _1elderscrollsfan
#1ElderScrollsFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By #1ElderScrollsFan

Stalemate

roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By roadbuster

Neither are particularly realistic enough to warrant distinction despite Marvel being the default answer.  That said, it is possible to make a credible argument that DC is more realistic in the areas you've listed. 

In terms of science, let's look at the origins of the comparable pantheons of their most popular characters: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and Green Lantern  as compared with Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and we'll toss in Hulk for good measure.  One way to gauge realism is against how much suspension of disbelief a reader must engage in to accept the fiction.  Thor and WW both introduce mythological magic so the field is even there.  At which point, the underlying origin of all Marvel characters becomes apparent... human science... an accident for Parker and Banner, singular genius for Stark and Rogers, and a mad scientist for Logan['s blades].  Flash has ostensibly the same type of origin and Batman is just a mundane vigilante with all the same action-hero efficacy tropes that they all are subject to.  So it falls to distinguishing human science versus alien science found in GL and Superman. 

Here's the thing.  Human science is mundane.  We know what it is, how it works, and can form reasonable expectations for it.  The idea that accidents involving mere human science results in Spidey, Hulk, Daredevil, etc. or that anyone like Tony exists clashes directly against our real world expectations for science.  That's arguably why Flash has spent the better part of the last 20 years with an updated deterministic extra-dimensional origin instead of just spilled chemicals... or why Spider-Man had his origin updated to include magic... or why Tony's suit needs upgrading to keep up with contemporary times, expectations, and suspension of disbelief.  By contrast, if you accept the existence of aliens- something you must do in either Universe- it is far easier to put aside your expectations because, really, how can you say what an advanced alien science or biology may or may not be capable of?  It's fantasy either way, to be sure, but by mixing the mundane Marvel adds a heightened level of disbelief to be suspended.  It is, in a sense, harder to believe in a fire-breathing house cat than it is a fire-breathing dragon.  Don't get me started on the gap between our understanding of mutation and the Marvel's interpretation of it.

In terms of geopolitics, Marvel should be admired for creating more fictional nations of note to give their Universe a greater international feel, but at the same time that's where they run up against the disbelief.  At Marvel, the fictional nations are incredibly notable, powerful, and significant.  Genosha, Wakanda, Latveria, etc. are all significant set pieces... but they don't play out realistically.  If Wakanda had a monopoly on a vital resource to the global market it's effect and place on global finance would be far more significant.  If Latveria persistently threatened the world in one as cynical as Marvel's why has war been off the table when nations have gone through it for far less and with motives which would not be as transparent or as justifiable here.  By contrast, the DC universe takes a more optimistic approach to geopolitics which is rather in line with reality (that is, despite doomsday fears it never quite arrives)... the nations that are created tend to be small and struggling nations without global impact but which act as stages for geopolitical parables to play out such as Bialya or Kahndaq or Pokolistan.  They are "realistically irrelevant" as horrible as that sounds. 

In terms of social interaction, I'm not exactly sure what this means... but in terms of how civilians view heroes both ways are probable- the public is just as prone to Romanticism (of political figures, celebrities, or corporations) as it is to fear and prejudice.  I'd argue the Marvel Universe is a bit stuck in a time warp with respect to the lack of mutant rights progress.  Obviously America isn't the most progressive nation but we're better than many places and certainly better than portrayed in the typical Marvel book.  Crime in both universes, particularly violent crimes and robberies, is off-the-charts unrealistic but given the relative scope of powers, you run up against that wall of disbelief far more with the street-level popular Marvel characters than the larger-threat DC characters.  Between the characters themselves it's much harder to justify the loose, temporary, and geographically nonsensical affiliations of teams like the New Avengers particularly considering their varying stances on things like lethal force.  Why is Spider-Man on any team, really?  You could level the same argument at Batman but his bankroll is really all the answer you need.  Why the density of heroes in NYC?  When the JLA each are guardians of their cities and literally watch over the planet from above... their loose affiliation making sense for tasks requiring their combined attention... moreover with legacies / families / etc. stand ins can be sent to meet the role as necessary... the dynamics are more obviously utilitarian.  Finally, if in terms of personal character, the issue of paragon is often raised... but if that's the case really what are Steve or Peter's character flaws?  I suspect that if you dig deep enough to find them in those two, they would be just as present in any of the DC Pantheon. 

But this is all nit picky semantic type distinctions for two universes that are both ostensibly unreal to the same degree.

sexy_merc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By sexy_merc

WildStorm

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By Gambit1024
@Mainline: You've obviously questioned this before, lol
GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GT-Man

Marvel no one can say that DC is more realistic because they actually have real life problems like us!
Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Thor's hammmer

marvel
Avatar image for theworldbreaker
Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Theworldbreaker

probrobly Marvel dispite neather are that realistic when ti comes to human sciecen and all that but out side all that...who's to say our universe Doesent have an Eternity? or an Anti monitor like being coming to munch on our universe? LOL just sayin, dont take me seriusly on that or you'll get a nice slap across the face :).
amc26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By amc26

Marvel. DC has to much space crap, like Green Lantern

brendon277

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By brendon277

Marvel is although neither of them are realistic 

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

DC, last time I checked Gamma Rays gave you cancer not superpowers

Dark Walker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Dark Walker
@amc26 said:
" Marvel. DC has to much space crap, like Green Lantern "
So does Marvel, I don't even read a lot of Marvel but the X-Men alone have been in space quite a few times.  Secret Wars, the alien symbiote, the Skrulls Secret Invasion. 

I think DC is more realistic between the two. 
roadbuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By roadbuster
@GT-Man said:
" Marvel no one can say that DC is more realistic because they actually have real life problems like us! "
Well, Spidey is the everyman character of Marvel... so you mean "real life problems" like having your marriage to your super-model wife erased from reality by a deal with a devil and a cabal of a sorcerer supreme, plastic genius, and billionaire industrialist?  How about making rent when two of your co-workers for your other job are billionaires and your best friend is heir to a billionaire?  Or struggles to pay for web fluid ingredients... a substance you invented  highschool which has countless commercial applications but which you reserve as a trade secret for the sake of vigilantism?  Or fetching a powerful magical artifact from New Orleans or rescuing your best friend's fiancée's baby (conceived with your best friend's father) from a legion of costumed super-freaks requiring you to talk down a three meter tall man in a rhino suit? 

If you just mean "emo" type problems, both houses have those in spades.

@amc26 said:
" Marvel. DC has to much space crap, like Green Lantern "
And Mavel has too many mutants (and mutations).  In either universe the explanation inevitability comes down to a mutation or an alien... except the first goes completely contrary to everything we know about mutation in the real world and the latter remains a largely unknown mystery to us in the real world.  I tend to think that a fantastic use of something we know nothing about is more realistic than a fantastic use of something we know nearly everything about.  An alien showing up and demonstrating flight requires less suspension of disbelief than your pet dog manifesting flight as a mutation.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#21  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

DC. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less reality warpers. 

Want to know what a difference in your genetic code causes Marvel? It's not superpowers; it's Down's Syndrome. (I love the X-Men, just saying).

mjdavis105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mjdavis105

well I guess I should way in on my own thread. 

In regards to Iron Man isnt the tech to make his armor pretty feasible its just 
that the flight technology is still in early development, and the nano manipulation 
needed to  to make the metal is still in its early development. 
superman is more realistic than say spidey or wolverine ,because we dont know whats on other  
planets , so you cant 100% with out a doubt that supes is impossible tho its unlikely 

Batman and his family is Impossible,because as a martial art practioneer myself  
I know that its basically impossible this goes dare devil, and electra and other martial artist as well. 

green lantern is alien technology so its realistic in the sense that you cant prove its not real

in the same regard as superman. 
as far as thor,wonderwoman go I dont see how greek or norse mythology 
is any less believable than christianity, islam or judism. how is jesus possible,but 
not other gods and goddeses. I put this in the same realm of aliens, you cant prove it either way. 

As far as the political and social aspect< I honestly say despite our racial advancements 
Marvel is right about adversion to mutants, look how people act about issues

such as the ground zero mosque, and illegal immigration. I could see fox news bashing mutants right now

though in general, I dont think it would be that many ppl who would want to use the powers to save or rule the world, that doesnt make since in any since win you can just use them to be rich or comfortable. 
There would of course be some theft, but I mean you could move to another country, and steal stuff there.  or you could just do one big heist and be comfortable , but if you had supes there would be alot of other ways to get rich for you legally. 

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By PowerHerc

Used to be Marvel by a lot.  Now it's Marvel by just a little.
N7_Normandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By N7_Normandy

both have more realistic elements and characters and more sci-fi stuff

emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By emptytomb

Marvel storylines make sense.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Crom-Cruach

DC, because Marvel's population is almost entirely composed of morons.

FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach said:
" DC, because Marvel's population is almost entirely composed of morons. "
Haha, win.
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CosmicSpiral

Both of them are just as bad. At least DC doesn't pretend otherwise. 

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Haha, win. "
I mean seriously, is there some law written somewhere that every baby born in the Marvel U must be dropped on it's head or they don't get citizenship or something. I mean angry mobs of humans have thrown rocks at Hulk to tell him off WTF.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" Haha, win. "
I mean seriously, is there some law written somewhere that every baby born in the Marvel U must be dropped on it's head or they don't get citizenship or something. I mean angry mobs of humans have thrown rocks at Hulk to tell him off WTF. "
Haha. What about constantly hating Spider-Man despite him being an Avengers? (shakes head)
emptytomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By emptytomb

Marvel storylines make sense.    DC storylines is a bunch of nonesense.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
"Haha. What about constantly hating Spider-Man despite him being an Avengers? (shakes head) "
Or them allowing and trusting Osborn with all of their military might. Seriously, the Marvel U is so moronic at times they only explanation for them still being alive is that TOAA is there to secretly fix everything.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
"Haha. What about constantly hating Spider-Man despite him being an Avengers? (shakes head) "
Or them allowing and trusting Osborn with all of their military might. Seriously, the Marvel U is so moronic at times they only explanation for them still being alive is that TOAA is there to secretly fix everything. "
Oh Lord, the Osborn in charge stuff was just so bad. At least the Gauntlet was great though.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
"At least the Gauntlet was great though. "
so I have heard. But I have long moved away from Marvel and into better pastures.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
"At least the Gauntlet was great though. "
so I have heard. But I have long moved away from Marvel and into better pastures. "
You a Vertigo reader? I think you'd love some of their stuff.
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
" You a Vertigo reader? I think you'd love some of their stuff. "
Yeah I read Vertigo. My favorite american Comic universe now is Top Cow. But I've mostly gone into European Comics.
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@Crom-Cruach said:
" @FadeToBlackBolt said:
" You a Vertigo reader? I think you'd love some of their stuff. "
Yeah I read Vertigo. My favorite american Comic universe now is Top Cow. But I've mostly gone into European Comics. "
Ahk, cool. I don't read any Euro stuff. Not speaking French seems to hurt a bit lol
Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@FadeToBlackBolt said:
"Not speaking French seems to hurt a bit lol "
yeah, I'm billingual so French isn't a problem for me but it's a sad problem for a lot of people.
nicknicholby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nicknicholby

So hard to think America would make a mistake like giving an asshole complete power??  Or that Americans hate things that aren't like them??
where do you live?

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Crom-Cruach
@nicknicholby said:
" So hard to think America would make a mistake like giving an asshole complete power??  Or that Americans hate things that aren't like them??  "
no hard to think any of them have survived. And hard to think that the vast majority of them would be dumb enough to throw rocks at the green engine of destruction known for leveling cities. Or pissing off the sorcerer that can rewrite reality at will.

The Marvel U would never have survived dumb at it is. Even the heroes there are idiots. Scratch that... most of the heroes are the worst idiots.
multiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By multiverse

For the record, here are some of my least favorite ways in which DC and Marvel are unrealistic. 

1. No one ages in real time. Bruce Wayne would be 95 if he were a real person. 

2. Superheroes are basically able to operate freely without much in the way of government oversight or legal consequences for their actions. In Marvel's Civil War I would be decidedly pro-registration and wonder why it wasn't done back in the 1940s. 

3. They should lock up the supervillains and make sure they never escape. Death penalty for the Joker anyone? 

That said I tend to think that Marvel is somewhat more realistic because many of the heroes do live in real places and geopolitical issues seem to come up a bit more.

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By GT-Man
@Mainline:
I mean like having to pay rent losing their jobs getting divorced going to Highschool bullys the president is actually a real president and much more
RubyShadesp3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By RubyShadesp3

I always thought of Marvel as the more realistic of the two and DC as the more ideal.

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is this real?
Talk about realism, in a comic book forum?

The Mango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The Mango

DC and Marvel are both very unrealistic in regards to power. For DC, kryptonians are powered by yellow sunlight, but their power output is millions of times the power input from the solar energy they absorb. In Marvel, the mutant gene giving every mutant different powers (which is strange considering it's supposedly a single gene); as well as the fact that varying mutants can seemingly create limitless energy output from nothing (cyclops), manipulate the electromagnetic spectrum (Magneto) and even turn the body into a inorganic yet still living material (Iceman) makes it hard for me to suspend my disbelief about this being a natural biological process. These are just the most glaring examples for me, there are obviously thousands more.

One problem I have with Marvel is that it often seems like there are 2 different continuities that occasionally merge. There's the mutant marvel and the non mutant marvel, and they just happen to occasionally cross over before going back to their secluded universe. They each have their own past, they each have their own future, the government acts very different in mutant books than non-mutant books, etc.

AMS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AMS

I think both companies bounce off each others stupidity though. 

I don't want to argue it with anyone but you can't deny that Marvel has more or less thrown 'realism' more or less out the window in recent years in response to DC catching up with them 'Market Share' wise. It's harder to call it in Marvels favour these days than it used to be.

Black_Kn1ght

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47  Edited By Black_Kn1ght

DC way more realistic.

Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By Feliciano2040

Marvel attempts to be more realistic and socially conscious, and fails terribly.

No Marvel, you're not going to do get an emotional impact on the tragedy of 9/11 by focusing on the reaction OF GODDAMN DOCTOR DOOM !

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#49  Edited By Deranged Midget

Each side is realistic in different aspects.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#50  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Both have guys who can fly around and in a world where people can learn martial arts and suddenly become capable of doing battles with crime syndicates.

Neither are realistic.