Marvel Mayhem: Mercy Liddle Reporting 4

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

Edited By wildvine  Moderator

Mercy Liddle is mine, everyone else is Marvel's. Check out our facebook page More Mayhem in the Marvel Mayhem Library.

This story continues from Mercy Liddle Interlude and has links to Bullseye #11 "Ker-Boom!" and also Deadly Foes of Spiderman #4 (of 4)

Mercy awoke with the sunrise, as she always did. it didn't matter that after two weeks she had finally caught a day off. Even sleep deprived, Mercy wasn't one for sleeping in. She loved watching the sun come up while sipping a mug of black coffee. It was always put her in good spirits, seeing a day born so full of promise. She gave her orange cat Booster a scratch behind the ears and poured him some over priced cat food. She then decided to boot up her computer and work on her book for a couple of hours.

Some hours later, and elsewhere in the city another person was thinking about their second career as well. His apartment was messy, but not filthy. His uniform hung on a hook inside his closet. The mask's lower half was open to allow freer speech. he didn't understand how Spider-Man could fight bad guys while trying to breath through that mask of his. "Probably better fabric" The figure mused aloud.

Lately things hadn't been going so well for him. He was in danger of losing his crap job, his girlfriend only stayed with him because she had a cape fetish, and he had never really broken into the hero business. Maybe it was the name. Then again, Spider-Man seemed to do well enough, and spiders themselves were generally viewed as creepy. His dusty old police scanner suddenly crackled to life.

"All units all units, we have a Code Blue situation at the George Washington Bridge. Use of excessive force has been approved."

"Code Blue?" The man said to himself. "Meta-human scoundrels are afoot! Innocent civilians are in danger!" He quickly slipped into his hand made costume. As he stepped out onto the fire escape he remembered how much he hated heights. Taking a deep breath, he leaped off the fire escape, and flew with haste to the George Washington Bridge.

Mercy decided it was time for a late breakfast. She had made good progress and had earned a small break. She decided to check her email before she left the apartment. There was a live update from the local news station, and she clicked on it. Then immediately wished she hadn't.

No Caption Provided

"Oh my god." Mercy whispered, horrified at the damage one psycho had caused.

"The terrorist responsible has been apprehended by Thor, but this story is far from over. One unnamed hero was ruthlessly gunned down by Bullseye. A member of Code Blue is in critical condition, and-- Wait, Thor just collapsed to the ground. He looks hurt bad. Rescue teams and various members of the hero community are working to get the survivors out of the water..."

Mercy closed her laptop, as if that would shut out the horror. As if all those lives wouldn't be lost if she didn't listen to the story. "Looks like my day off got cancelled." She told her cat grimly. She grabbed her purse and left the sanity of her cozy apartment. Her phone buzzed a moment later.

No Caption Provided

"Whats going on at the Bugle? Did Bullseye hit there too?" She hurried down the stairs and hailed the first cab she saw, hoping it wasn't a sarcastic duck man again, because this just wasn't the day for that. "George Washington Bridge." she told the driver who appeared human.

"I hear their closing the streets that lead to it." The driver replied. "Something about Thor destroying the bridge. Doesn't surprise me, after what he did to the Wrecking Crew." Like a lot of people in tragic situations, the driver clearly wanted to blame someone. And sadly enough it was often the heroes that got crucified in the media for their failures.

Howard awoke from his nap, having slept through all the excitement and picked up the evening edition of the Daily News, a smaller news paper that basically ran the stories the Bugle didn't want. Plus it was a cheap read.

No Caption Provided

Howard looked over at the stack of Bugle papers, and saw an interesting contrast between the two papers. "Bugle is proven right!Spider-Man revealed to be Menace" its headline crowed. The picture showed Spider-Man walking towards a broken window in the Bugle office. Under the picture it said, "Masked menace to society hangs up his webs."

"Oh boy." Howard groaned. he had that bad feeling again. Like all this was just the pre-show and the main event was yet to come.

Irishlad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Irishlad

Nicely done I can't pick at it too much since it feels very much like a set up for something interesting. Mercy is an original character I'm very interested in, not sure why. Nice references to Deadly Foes and Ker-Boom, there's a few capital errors here as there but overall its a pretty solid chapter/issue :P

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 wildvine  Moderator

@irishlad:

Mostly just tying everything together. She's got her own story to chase down

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

@wildvine: RIP Mosquito Man, we barely knew ye! Nice insight into the last few hours of his life. Really liking Mercy, and yes lets talk her and Trish crossover

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 wildvine  Moderator

@batkevin74:

I honestly felt bad for the guy. I Googled him, and the poor guy didn't even get a real name! He's the ultimate red coat. So I dressed him up a little.

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By batkevin74

@wildvine: Yeah he is, was and forever will be Mosquito Man

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

@wildvine: Nice referencing and did I detect a Booster Gold reference relating to that cat? It's almost tragic seeing Mosquito Man flying off to his doom, the poor guy deserved more but couldn't achieve it.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

@batkevin74:

That's partly why I didn't give him a name.

@impurestcheese said:

@wildvine: Nice referencing and did I detect a Booster Gold reference relating to that cat? It's almost tragic seeing Mosquito Man flying off to his doom, the poor guy deserved more but couldn't achieve it.

Yeah, just trying to tie things in. Funny story about the name Booster. Long story short, my cat Dex has a boyfriend I named Booster. I was thinking of Booster Gold when I chose that name though.

I know. It was one of those moments you wished you could change. But if there's one thing I've learned about time travel from movies (aside from the fact that something always goes wrong) its that you don't mess with history. Unless you are an anthropomorphic talking duck that is.

ImpurestCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@wildvine: Hey I have a dog called Donut so I'm clearly not a good giver of names either.

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Awesome stuff! Especially the cat named Booster! Question. Could you at one point in your future Liddle stories mention the Initiative?

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wildvine  Moderator
TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 wildvine  Moderator

@tommythehitman:

Is there a precursor? Does Stark make an announcement? Does someone leak the info to Mercy?

TommytheHitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wildvine: Give it a few minutes... in fact I think issue 1 (technically 2) is up now!

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bumped