Why is Vanilla Ice considered a joke but Eminem is considered ok?

Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#51  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Vanilla Ice is the white Nick Cannon

mattbryce2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By mattbryce2000
@Son_of_Magnus said:
"

Vanilla Ice is the white Nick Cannon

"

oh my god you're right. LMAO
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

Honestly I really can't stand either.

Avatar image for rollin_60_s_neighborhood_crip
Rollin 60's Neighborhood Crip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Em is nice durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

whacknasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By whacknasty

Lol... Robert Van Winkle was never good at anything musically (imo) while Em has shown he is a great lyricist/song writer (when he applies himself), as well as a decent producer. 

I actually cant say anything bad about V-Ice though. As one rapper roughly put it, Ice Ice Baby (and the album it was on) sold around 11 million copies, but now everyone wants to say how horrible it is. Some of these same people bought the album...
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#56  Edited By EdwardWindsor

iam not even a rap fan and i know eminem has skill vanilla ice has jack, hes the gimp of rap music lol

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#57  Edited By Static Shock

Vanilla Ice influenced Eminem.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By warlock360
@Static Shock said:
" Vanilla Ice influenced Eminem. "
for what it's worth, now he's selling bratwursts in frankfurt.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Static Shock

Just saying that people like Vanilla Ice and Beastie Boys proved to everyone that Black people aren't only ones that rap. Pretty sure Eminem felt influenced by them to do the same thing.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By warlock360

Dunno if he had the privelage of enjoying Vanilla Ice around the 8 Mile LOL

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Static Shock
@Voidheart said:
" Dunno if he had the privelage of enjoying Vanilla Ice around the 8 Mile LOL "
The movie is loosely based on his life, not entirely.
warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By warlock360

Well... if your gonna go that way, then what inspired Vanilla Ice? Or the beastie boys?

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#63  Edited By Yung ANcient One

If u like ICe(vanilla) then thats cool but the reason people frown upon him is because his entire music. as ice was all fraud there was no originality it was all created by execute marketers and etc

if u dont like Em then u dont like Em's Art.
If u dont like Ice then u dont like what some fat cats in a office told him to make.

even Ice hates his Vanilla Era... and feels like he mest up because he was young. and he made a mistake  following orders. instead of tryin to make music.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Static Shock
@Voidheart said:
" Well... if your gonna go that way, then what inspired Vanilla Ice? Or the beastie boys? "
Rap.
The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By The_Ghostshell
@Static Shock said:
" Just saying that people like Vanilla Ice and Beastie Boys proved to everyone that Black people aren't only ones that rap. Pretty sure Eminem felt influenced by them to do the same thing. "
Third Bass as well.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Static Shock
@Gambler: Who are they?
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#67  Edited By InnerVenom123

Has anyone else seen Nostalgia Critic's review of the Vanilla Ice movie? XDDD That came to mind while reading this thread XD

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By The_Ghostshell
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By Static Shock
@Gambler: LOL. OK.

Almost forgot about House of Pain. :P
Dark Zoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Dark Zoom

eminem is one of the best rappers alive next to ti and lilwayne in my opinion. i rap myself and i personaly look  to eminem for better lyrics and flow i also respect him for what he's done with hip hop

MKF30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By MKF30

lol never liked Eminem...the guy has skills with "rapping" but that's it, he always mocks people in his songs(and I can't stand that) and once he mocked Christopher Reeve I just lost all respect for the guy...  

Vanilla Ice TMNT II>>>Eminem lol

Solitair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Solitair

I get sick of people claiming that Vanilla Ice ripped off queen and deserve what he "Got with To The Extreme" Hip Hop always was and still is a genre that samples other peoples music. A tribe called quest did it, N.W.A did, MC Hammer did, everybody does it. Its common practise! Eminems first hit "my name is" was also a sample from a different song. The difference is Vanilla Ice was 16 when he wrote the song and the company that signed him didn't get the rights, then everyone makes a big deal about it.

Vanilla Ice has loads of accomplishments! He was nominated for 4 American music awards, he won 2, nominated for a Grammy, Won a "peoples choice award", Won a Juno etc..

I would not argue that he is more skilled lyrically. but he holds his own. Vanilla Ice is an actual musician, He plays bass, guitar, drums and does scratches. Eminem is strictly a talented lyricist, he does play any instruments, does not write music and is has no flair for producing. Vanilla Ice is talented in all areas of Hip Hop, He is a break dancer, beat boxer, producer and does scratches. Vanilla Ice is 100% Hip Hop, all five elements are present in his work. It not fair to compare Eminem on strictly lyrical skills. On the whole Vanilla Ice is a better artist.

Ice has the best live shows in the business and the sickest flow. He know as "being able to rap over anything"

Vanilla Ice has the highest selling Hip Hop Album of all time with forty thousand records sold. He has the fastest selling record of all time. He is not a one hit wonder. "play that funky music" charted as well as "Satisfaction", "Cool As Ice", "Get Wit it", "Ninja Rap", "Rollin in my 5.0" and "Stop that Train"His newest cd "Wisdom, Tenacity, Focus" (which is only available online) just went platinum on Itunes, with next to no promotion.

Vanilla Ice has always been at the forefront of every hip hop trend. His sampling of Queen brought attention to other artists to get permission before sampling, He use of rock samples were years before there time. He sampled the Rolling stones, James brown and AC/DC.

Before Snoop Doggy Dogs break through album, "doggy style" came out Vanilla Ice was touring for two years playing his g-funk infused songs which eventually came out on his cd called "Mind Blowin"

All his disks have been fresh and original music, never copying recent trends but always blazing forward.

He was the one who broke the game open for white rappers, before him, rap labels would never take a chance on white MCs.

Vanilla Ice is also an actor, he has played many small parts over the years and just finished playing captain hook on broadway (where he got rave reviews) and is co-staring on the new Adam Sandler film "Thats my boy"

Little know fact: Vanilla Ice was offered a contract by Def Jam for 50,000, but she signed with SBK for one million.

His down fall was simply the marketing that his label did. He should not have put the MC hammer pants on or allowed his image to be on dolls and lunch boxes.

When he first got started he toured with N.W.A, B.D.P, Public Enemy, Ice T, and others. He dressed totally different and played in black clubs. http://www.finehomeslv.com/las_vegas_nightclubs/gallery-nightclub/ice-t-vanilla-ice-gallery.jpg

Vanilla Ice is legit!

Take a look at a couple of his best songs:

Mr_riddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Mr_riddler

For the Ninja Rap?

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ssejllenrad
No Caption Provided

On a side note... Placing M&M's on a vanilla ice cream is delicious!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#75  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Solitair said:

Vanilla Ice has loads of accomplishments! He was nominated for 4 American music awards, he won 2, nominated for a Grammy, Won a "peoples choice award", Won a Juno etc.. 

Eminem was named "best selling artist of the decade",He had 13 #1 singles,He has an academy award for 8 Mile,3 MTV Movie Awards,14 American music awards,12 Billboard awards,3 BRIT awards,13 grammys,and 2 Junos. 

@Solitair said:

I would not argue that he is more skilled lyrically. but he holds his own. Vanilla Ice is an actual musician, He plays bass, guitar, drums and does scratches. Eminem is strictly a talented lyricist, he does play any instruments, does not write music and is has no flair for producing. Vanilla Ice is talented in all areas of Hip Hop, He is a break dancer, beat boxer, producer and does scratches. Vanilla Ice is 100% Hip Hop, all five elements are present in his work. It not fair to compare Eminem on strictly lyrical skills. On the whole Vanilla Ice is a better artist.

You're basically saying Vanilla Ice is better for things that actually don't have anything to do with the quality of his work.Playing instruments,beat boxing,producing and DJ'ing are all well in good but being able to do those things doesn't change the fact that more people would rather listen to Eminem than Vanilla Ice.

@Solitair said:

Vanilla Ice has the highest selling Hip Hop Album of all time with forty thousand records sold. He has the fastest selling record of all time. He is not a one hit wonder. "play that funky music" charted as well as "Satisfaction", "Cool As Ice", "Get Wit it", "Ninja Rap", "Rollin in my 5.0" and "Stop that Train"His newest cd "Wisdom, Tenacity, Focus" (which is only available online) just went platinum on Itunes, with next to no promotion.

This is false.First of all you're under selling Vanilla Ice.His highest selling rap album sold well over 40 thousand but on the list of highest selling Hip-Hop albums of all time, he doesn't even rank in the top 10 let alone being #1.One that same list Eminem appears twice for two different albums.Vanilla Ice IS a one hit wonder.Ice Ice Baby is the only single he's ever had that topped the Hip\Pop charts.I'm going to assume the thing about his new album going platinum is probably false as well.

@Solitair said:

His down fall was simply the marketing that his label did. He should not have put the MC hammer pants on or allowed his image to be on dolls and lunch boxes.

Right...it was the marketing.Not the wack lyrics and music people don't feel. 
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@MKF30 said:

lol never liked Eminem...the guy has skills with "rapping" but that's it, he always mocks people in his songs(and I can't stand that) and once he mocked Christopher Reeve I just lost all respect for the guy...  

Vanilla Ice TMNT II>>>Eminem lol

I love how people who clearly don't listen to hip-hop feel the need to have feelings about hip-hop artists.
dtm1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#77  Edited By dtm1980

@CortSether: Sorry I'm two years late. Erm... Vanilla Ice may have done the catchy tunes but on stage he was basically trying to be Madonna with a pimp-limp. When the NWA and Public Enemy, RUN DMC and the likes were at the fore of hard hitting rap music, the only other people like Vanilla Ice were New Kids On The Block and a shitload of desperate wannabes not realising how gay the look was. Hence why Mark Walhberg was more successful after being fired from NKB for bad behaviour...

Considering the only music fans that wanted their sweaty balls slapped against their foreheads live on stage were mostly pre-teens, that act was never gonna be taken seriously. Especially with a hairstyle championed by Grace Jones. Claiming Vanilla Ice came from the streets also didn't help his credibility, especially in the eyes of his rich kid school friends. And his accent was faked.

Whereas, Eminem was the only white boy noteworthy of being racially integrated into the then mainstream of rap/Hip Hop/whateva rather than being dismissed by them and earned respect touring with the likes of Snoop Dogg and Dr Dre because he was entertaining, his lyrics were considered relevant. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't care less about either of them, I just had to sit through their careers wondering why... why... WHY????

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#78  Edited By Saren

Because Vanilla Ice is a joke and Eminem is an actual artist.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#79  Edited By Billy Batson

Both suck...?
BB

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#80  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Billy Batson said:

Both suck...?
BB

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By Billy Batson

@TheGoldenOne said:

@Billy Batson said:

Both suck...?
BB

Okay?
BB

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#82  Edited By Deranged Midget

Not a fan of Eminem's newer stuff, but's its good regardless.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Cause Vanilla Ice can't do this.. 

or this 

or this 

or this 

and these are just from two albums.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vanilla Ice lied about his roots, which he later admitted to be concocted by the industry. Although his work was all right (for the time), it's really no comparison. Eminem is all right, but I also think he's legitimate.

Rogan2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By Rogan2112

I don't much like either of them (not much into rap) though I will say I REALLY dig two of eminem's songs. I'd say ONE of the problems is that V tried to portray himself as some sort of hard core rapper from the streets and he was actually a middle class kid from somewhere in Florida. Eminem actually was a hard core street kid from Detroit and the "edge" to his songs was real and "earned" so to speak. I'm not the best person to respond to this since this isn't really my area of expertise. I DO know just from personal taste that ONE Vanilla Ice song I heard I always thought was silly and kind of aimless, and most of Eminem's (even though I don't like most of it) has some sort of point. That's my one cent, because I don't know enough about this to have two cents here ;)

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By redhood21

Vanilla Ice did the ninja rap!!! all eminem does now is rap about his ex wife. what was his one song? im sorry mama i never meant to hurt you, but tonight im coming out the closet xD

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By cyberninja

You guys know nothing, Vanilla Ice is the best MC of all time.

No Caption Provided
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By King_Saturn
Eminem is the Better MC than Vanilla Ice... plain and simple 

The Real Slim Shady >>>>> Ice Ice Baby 
Guilty Conscience feat Dr. Dre >>>>>> Ninja Rap 
Without Me >>>>>> N/A 
Stan feat Dido >>>>>>> N/A 
Purple Pills feat D12 >>>>>> N/A 

and those are just singles... lyrically Eminem blows him out of the water as well. 
Avatar image for thewholedamnshow
TheWholeDamnShow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By TheWholeDamnShow

Because the industry wants you to look at Em and think "Wow! A white rapper?! How unique!". You can't have too many or the shock value isn't really there, now is it?

Whoever says Em is more "genius" than Vanilla Ice doesn't know what the what the hell they are talking about. Eminem has the most whack lyrics and is constantly talking about the same sh*t over and over again. Him, Wayne, Drake , Jay, Kanye and basically anyone else who rhymes like a 6 year old toddler aren't even worth listening to IMO.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By King_Saturn
@TheWholeDamnShow said:

Because the industry wants you to look at Em and think "Wow! A white rapper?! How unique!". You can't have too many or the shock value isn't really there, now is it?

Whoever says Em is more "genius" than Vanilla Ice doesn't know what the what the hell they are talking about. Eminem has the most whack lyrics and is constantly talking about the same sh*t over and over again. Him, Wayne, Drake , Jay, Kanye and basically anyone else who rhymes like a 6 year old toddler aren't even worth listening to IMO.

say what ? so are you gonna say that The Slim Shady LP wasn't that good ? or that The Marshall Mathers LP wasn't that good ? so what Eminem says a lot of the same things over and over again... almost every commercial hip hop artist is like that... and just because Eminem is not good now doesn't mean he was always wack... Classic Slim Shady ( circa 1997 - 2002 ) >>>>>>> Vanilla Ice... and trying to defend it like it's not so is absurd boy boy... 
Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Listen to eminem infinite then listen to any of Vanilla Ice's songs. It's like comparing a Desert eagle to a broken super soaker.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@TheWholeDamnShow said:

So I take it you don't listen to Hip-Hop?
GST1976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#94  Edited By GST1976

Vanilla Ice is horrible beyond comprehension...

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#95  Edited By Dreadmaster

@Deranged Midget said:

Not a fan of Eminem's newer stuff, but's its good regardless.

Same, current Eminem can still rap, but the lyrics and things he talks about don't interest me, and its all serious now.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#96  Edited By Bestostero

Mark Wahlberg > both those clowns

lol.

Avatar image for texasdeathmatch
texasdeathmatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By texasdeathmatch

I think both are huge tools, but the OP title alone shows how musically retarded people can be. Shocking.

SuperTide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#98  Edited By SuperTide

I like both of them.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers