Follow

The Walking Dead

Series »

Police officer Rick Grimes leads a group of survivors in a world overrun by zombies. Fighting for their lives each day and trying to find and establish a new home in a world riddled with not just zombies, but also something more dangerous, human beings.

The Walking Dead Episode 607 - "Heads Up"

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Warning: There are spoilers for this week's episode in the recap and review.

On this week's episode of The Walking Dead, the episode begins with Nicolas' body getting eaten by walkers while Glenn crawls under the dumpster, with walkers reaching for him. Glenn has to wait for the walkers to leave, which is a day later. Enid tosses him a bottle of water and Glenn makes his way into a building. Enid reveals to Glenn that people attacked Alexandria. Glenn tries to find Enid in the building, but she's nowhere to be found. Glenn sees her running away outside and goes after her.

Back inside Alexandria, Rick lets Morgan know that they're going to have a talk later on. Rick chats with Maggie about the town. Meanwhile, Glenn finds a dead Alexandrian, who has turned. Glenn puts him out of his misery. Rick and Carl teach one of the young Alexandrians how to shoot. It's more about aiming and technique than actual firing though.

Rick and Morgan have a talk, with Michonne there as well. Morgan explains his new life as someone who is a pacifist. There are walkers building up at the walls of Alexandria. The training for the people of Alexandria continues. Eugene and others are being taught how to use machetes. Glenn catches up with Enid and says he's going to take her home. Enid pulls a gun on Glenn, but he disarms her. The two start heading back to town.

One of the kids that Carl and Rick were teaching to shoot sneaks into the supply house and takes some bullets. Enid and Glenn get back to the outside of Alexandra and see all the walkers. Spencer, for some reason, military crawls on a rope above a whole bunch of walkers. The rope breaks and he falls to the ground. Walkers are all over. He starts climbing up the rope and makes it up safely.

Morgan wants to get a wound check out. Morgan reveals it isn't his wound he wants checked out, so the local doctor goes with him, probably to check on the Wolf he has captured. Carol swings by to drop off the baby and goes to spy on Morgan. She confronts Morgan about who is in the cell.

In the street, the boy who the guys taught to shoot follows Carl and pulls out a gun. Rick is helping reinforce the wall. Everyone spots the green balloons that Enid had. Maggie comes running to Rick. She says it's Glenn. Then, the building falls and knocks down the wall.

No Caption Provided

"Heads Up" was a whole hour building up the mid-season finale. It was all set-up and it all is leading to something fantastic, but overall, it turns out to be a pretty bland episode. The set-up works and it's really interesting, but we've been gone from the main Alexandria story for three weeks.

There's this sigh of relief along with this heavy sigh of frustration as the opening to the show tells fans everything they already knew: Nicolas' body fell on top of Glenn. We talked about it as well, but still remained pretty skeptical about the theory because no one is safe on The Walking Dead, right Tyrese, Lori, Shane, Hershel, Dale, Andrea, etc?

Because we were gone for three weeks and waiting to learn the fate of Glenn, the past few episodes felt like a distraction. Don't get me wrong, those episodes were good and the episode about Morgan was great, probably the best of this year, but the way the season was put together, with this large gap of singular stories, takes away from the impact and connection the viewer has with the people of Alexandria and with Glenn. It's now almost a month after the Wolves attack on Alexandria and that's not fresh in people's minds, so it's a race to play catch-up to remember what happened with the individuals within the town.

Glenn and Enid's story was enjoyable. It wasn't a home run but it's nice to see these characters come together in order to try and get back to Alexandra, and as stated before, it's just nice to see what happened with Glenn. On top of that, I'm more excited to see Glenn and Maggie reunite, as Glenn has been gone for a while.

One of the things we saw coming was the eventual head-to-head Morgan and Rick were going to have because how Morgan's views of the world have changed. It all starts to come to a head here as Morgan, Michonne, and Rick talks about Morgan's new views on life. Then, Carol finds out Morgan is keeping someone hostage and she's smart enough to put it together that it's one of the Wolves. Again, this is all great build-up, and luckily, this story is one of the better ones of the episode.

This week's The Walking Dead was the weakest of the season. Because of the break and a few solo adventures, the impact of the people in Alexandria and what happened to Glenn is a bit lessened. Needless to say, it's tough to figure out how to fit all those stories into the over-arcing season and this is how it played out. While next week is looking like to be one heck of a way to go into the mid-season break, the build up to it was a bit dull. Not bad but not a great episode.

hotroddii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

People like me still like it, though.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

Don't care if it's cheap, don't care if it's bad storytelling, I'm just glad Glenn is alive.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#7  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

And people thought Glenn was dead. HA HA. Told y'all.

But the way he came up.... so lazy. WD writers are not not very good sometimes.

For shame though. Every frickin season starts out so well and then the middle is back to being typical slow Walking dead.

~MiB

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MadeinBangladesh
    pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#9  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Freakin' Enid.

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3 stars from Comicvine is like 1 star from a legitimate review...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
    deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

So many angsty teenagers in this show.

Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Did the episode end right as the building hit the ground? I watched it online just now as it's not on TV until tonight here, and felt it would have at least shown walkers getting in.

Lunarstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe this article had Glenn's name mentioned so many times lol. It's like the Glenn show.

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
    Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Feel free to stop watching the show.Better yet,go watch Arrow or the Flash..

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why do you keep calling Ron "The kid"?

Lol, Tara killed more zombies then Rick did, seriously spending over half the episode building support for one of the walls and the episode ends with another wall being destroyed, they should have spent more time killing the zombies at the wall.

Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hotroddii said:
    No Caption Provided

I like how people get so offended over someone's opinion on a show.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glenn's alive !

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always liked Glenn, so this isn't at all against him as a character, but it's incredibly cheap that he lived. There was absolutely no reason for this show to resort to a shock tactic death of a main character. I really, really hope Glenn gets an up close and personal meeting with Lucille at the end of this season now.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still feel like the zombies tore at Nick's flesh a little too gingerly, like they were slowly picking away at a bloomin' onion appetizer.

I'm wondering if angsty teen with the loaded gun is gonna put a hole in Carl's head before we're introduced to Negan and the Saviors?

Alsooooo...what spectacular timing will it be next episode when Daryl, Sasha and Abraham show up with missile launchers?

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@tattacus said:

Did the episode end right as the building hit the ground? I watched it online just now as it's not on TV until tonight here, and felt it would have at least shown walkers getting in.

I was wondering the same thing

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spencer is an idiot....what kind of dumbass starts climbing across a rope in the monkey crawl position???

Edith is a selfish b!tch

I've always liked Glenn, so this isn't at all against him as a character, but it's incredibly cheap that he lived. There was absolutely no reason for this show to resort to a shock tactic death of a main character. I really, really hope Glenn gets an up close and personal meeting with Lucille at the end of this season now.

I liked the reasoning that they gave in Talking Dead....they wanted us to go through the same kind of emotions as the characters on the show with no idea whether Glenn is alive or not...knowing that any time they leave Alexandria they may not come back and their loved ones may not get any kind of closure....but they also wanted us to see that every situation on the show doesn't always end in death and that there are some happy ending...I think it worked incredibly well

also I don't think that Glenn will meet Lucille....I don't think that they would do all of this with Glenn only for him to get killed a few episodes later

Avatar image for vincent_valjean
    Vincent_Valjean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitality said:
    @vincent_valjean said:
    @hotroddii said:
    No Caption Provided

I like how people get so offended over someone's opinion on a show.

Yeah,I get that a lot every time I say my opinion about CW's shows....

TheArchon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And now, I guess Jessie dies...??? I hope not. I actually like her.

TheValiant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

3/5 on comicvine? That's like a 2/10 on most sites!

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Loading Video...

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spencer is an idiot....what kind of dumbass starts climbing across a rope in the monkey crawl position???

Edith is a selfish b!tch

@captainhoopla said:

I liked the reasoning that they gave in Talking Dead....they wanted us to go through the same kind of emotions as the characters on the show with no idea whether Glenn is alive or not...knowing that any time they leave Alexandria they may not come back and their loved ones may not get any kind of closure....but they also wanted us to see that every situation on the show doesn't always end in death and that there are some happy ending...I think it worked incredibly well

also I don't think that Glenn will meet Lucille....I don't think that they would do all of this with Glenn only for him to get killed a few episodes later

I haven't been staying up and watching Talking Dead since they shifted the time for Into the Badlands. I can accept that as a plausible reason for doing it, but while suspension of disbelief is required for the entire concept of the show, him getting under that dumpster without a single bite is pushing my limits.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke52: It was accurate for almost every season after the first one.

~MiB

MrCobain215

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrCobain215

@sprior93: Right that angsty teenage shit is played out.

Majuub23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw man I was really hoping to see that little mofo take out Carls eye. It's so obvious he is up to something after he miraculously wanted to be Ricks new deputy.

And was it just me or were those balloons horribly CGI'd?

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.