Follow

Spider-Man

Character » Spider-Man appears in 17270 issues.

Peter Parker was bitten by a radioactive spider as a teenager, granting him spider-like powers. After the death of his Uncle Ben, Peter learned that "with great power, comes great responsibility." Swearing to always protect the innocent from harm, Peter Parker became Spider-Man.

Spider-Man - Renew Your Vows - Discussion

• 149 results
    Anjales_II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

Discuss the storyline.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Zarius

An interesting beginning. Here we see how resourceful and committed Peter can be trying to honor his duty to his family, with MJ joining in as a partner, and being twice as supportful and effective as she's been in close to a decade outside of the daily strips. Peter's choices here are fully justified, especially given the overbearing power of the Regent, but we'll know soon enough that when you push the Parkers, they will push back hard.

I know I get some heat for being a Slott critic, but I only go after the guy when I feel the books aren't up to snuff in my personal view as a fan. This one definitely was a hit with me. There are still some problems, but they mainly have a lot to do with corniness, this book is evoking a strong blend of 2000s era grimdark with 90s flavor zest and it's that intention that elevates it past it's flaws.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad for a guy most people on here like the one above constantly bashes as the scum of comic books. Yet when he does good it is suddenly sunshine and rainbows lol.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zarius

@mightus said:

Not bad for a guy most people on here like the one above constantly bashes as the scum of comic books. Yet when he does good it is suddenly sunshine and rainbows lol.

I usually find the best critics are those who are not entirely for nor against.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah this isn't gonna go well in the end, Peter broke his one rule instead of choosing the ideal path of overcoming the odds and it's down hill from here. The regent is probably going to turn Spiderman into the most unscrupulous hero since Spock.

spidermenace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i initially thought the first issue was okay when i first read it, but the more i think about it the worse i think it is.

there's no way peter would just start letting terrible things happen to people and not even feel GUILTY about it. sure, he can put his family first in dire situations, but to not even care about it is just out of character.

also i feel like this is just slott mocking everyone who wants peter to have a wife and family. like "ok this is what you wanted and now he's not spider-man anymore."

on the other hand i like seeing peter and mj together and i like their daughter, annie. and it IS better than most of the crap slott has been putting out recently in asm. i don't know. i'm trying to stay positive.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i initially thought the first issue was okay when i first read it, but the more i think about it the worse i think it is.

there's no way peter would just start letting terrible things happen to people and not even feel GUILTY about it. sure, he can put his family first in dire situations, but to not even care about it is just out of character.

also i feel like this is just slott mocking everyone who wants peter to have a wife and family. like "ok this is what you wanted and now he's not spider-man anymore."

It also sort of flies in the face of MC2, where it's established Peter remained Spidey while Mayday was still a kid and he only bowed out because he lost a leg. Then again, I imagine Peter would have continued if the Avengers had not been wiped out by the Regent alongside everyone else.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair, remember this is one of many Peters in the battleworld. He is not the main one cause that one is actually still alive from the old 616 and fighting behind the scenes

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Zarius

@mightus said:

To be fair, remember this is one of many Peters in the battleworld. He is not the main one cause that one is actually still alive from the old 616 and fighting behind the scenes

Slott's whole mantra this last year has been "Any Spider-Man you care for is the real one"

Everything about this story will inform the Spider-Man books going forward. RYV Peter, for the duration of this series, is the important one, aka the main one, regardless of what universe he comes from.

Mightus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The thing that scares me now is that The new spiderman post secret wars is not the one we know apparently. If it's not at least kaine or Ben Reily than that can blow back in their faces. Already got miles and two females for diversity's sake.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's nice but in 616, I'd prefer the Spidey we have now.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zarius

@blackspidey2099 said:

Devil-dealing ineffective man-child Peter and his dimwit/dull supporting cast? Suit yourself, I'll stick with either this or the dailes

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:

Devil-dealing ineffective man-child Peter and his dimwit/dull supporting cast? Suit yourself, I'll stick with either this or the dailes

haha nice, I always find myself re-reading JMS run for comfort.

inkBot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By inkBot

@spidermenace said:
    also i feel like this is just slott mocking everyone who wants peter to have a wife and family. like "ok this is what you wanted and now he's not spider-man anymore.

Pretty much that.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:

JMS, Jenkins, Fraction, Miller, all fine on-point writers back then. A distinct era that I miss fondly.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
    blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:

The characterization is completely off point in the modern comics (which is why I have said that Slott should be replaced) but Spidey should never go back to being a photographer, teacher or anything other than a scientist since ti is so stupid and unrealistic and completely stifles character progress.

@zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:

I loved JMS' run (except SP and OMD ofc). My favorite part was the first arc against Morlun.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: My first spidey comic was by Jenkins, such a great run, kinda overlooked imo.

darklordx123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

i liked the first issue until I got to the last page or so. There is no way Spider-Man would not even try. I get that Slott's trying to say that he only cares about his daughter, but that is out of character. I just hope Slott doesn't drag out the whole moral dilemma thing.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:

Who's also a martial artist in training scientist living up to his potential and priorites and not letting life fuck up his progress anymore. His cast adapts to his actions so i see no problem.

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Came back from Atop the Fourth Wall. Spider-Man is still dead to many people since Renew Your Vows doesn't address and fix the problem of making the deal with Mephisto. Your thoughts?

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By spider11211

The first issue was some of Slott's better work...I will wait and see how this pans out.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Zarius

We now know the fifth issue will have a variant by Joe Quesada. Hope that isn't a discouraging sign.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Zarius

@jimishim12 said:
    @zarius said:
    @blackspidey2099 said:

Who's also a martial artist in training scientist living up to his potential and priorites and not letting life *%^$ up his progress anymore. His cast adapts to his actions so i see no problem.

Post flagged. Stop swearing.

And of course you wouldn't see a problem, you're an apologist for this garbage who has no value for established Spider-Man history. You've been schooled over on CBR several times for that.

His stupid pills swallowing cast adapt to the idiot ball plots rather than genuine actions, and Peter really hasn't been living up to his potential, as shown by his ineptitude at handling Parker Industries leading it to ruin. His priorities were all over the place and he's had to be saved in his own book several times? Rofl, with "fans" like you perceiving "no problem", we're better off without your type as a solution to Spidey's present creative woes

What progress has he made? One step forward, a million steps back. That's Peter at the moment. Without the people that give his life and purpose meaning and importance, he's going through the motions. He's nothing without them and you know it.

comicawesome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an OK story for what it is. I personally think that they should have kept peter as a scientist. and I don't like the costumes for captain america and iron man, the A on caps chest bugs the crap out of me.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's an OK story for what it is. I personally think that they should have kept peter as a scientist. and I don't like the costumes for captain america and iron man, the A on caps chest bugs the crap out of me.

Yeah, but I can understand it was meant to be a nod to all the crazy What Ifs of the 90s that pulled stuff like that

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Waffle

I'll have a review up tomorrow for anyone interested, this time no mercy lol.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Zarius

Issue Two is another sound installment with loads of action and Peter being fully prioritized as a dad. Look out for a cameo from Dan Slott in-story too.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RevivalMH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like issue 2 was probably the best issue of Spidey that Slot's ever wrote. There were some really good character moments and the action was tense. I can't wait for the next issue.

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@revivalmh: Yes, if only the Main ASM title was this good.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

technogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure what their doing with Spiderman in secret wars. I was a huge fan of Spiderman until he made the deal with the devil. That's when everything went hay wire in the continuity. I am hoping that secret wars renew your vows would fix Marvels biggest blunder. The character needs to evolve. I've read the same stuff since the 70's. Renew your vows puts a fresh spin and makes the character new again. It wont last though, nothing will come of this story, and we will be back to the status quo. Enjoy the story while you can, its definitely a fresh new Spiderman story we haven't seen in a long time!

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Zarius

@technogeek said:

I'm not sure what their doing with Spiderman in secret wars. I was a huge fan of Spiderman until he made the deal with the devil. That's when everything went hay wire in the continuity. I am hoping that secret wars renew your vows would fix Marvels biggest blunder. The character needs to evolve. I've read the same stuff since the 70's. Renew your vows puts a fresh spin and makes the character new again. It wont last though, nothing will come of this story, and we will be back to the status quo. Enjoy the story while you can, its definitely a fresh new Spiderman story we haven't seen in a long time!

Yeah, the one thing we can hope for is it's success leads Marvel to make a swift decision in time for the 30th anniversary of the marriage in 2017. Even if RYV has a shattering climax, it's probably going to be a lot of fun leading up to that, so I'll take what I can get to experience the kind of Spider-Man that's long overdue.

Also DC bringing back Superman's marriage in a way that allows them to continue with the DC You version shows how they were willing to listen to people who bought the Convergence tie-ins and still be able to have their current cake for the next wave of fans to eat.

Just that little something for everyone is in order.

technogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well as long as Mr Q is head of Marvel they will never admit that OMD was a mistake. I never forgave them from ruining the character, and it should be erased in the new continuity, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Though the preview of Amazing Spiderman 1 (cover art by Alex Ross) shows a few interesting things. First the building has an oriental language lit on the outside of it. This is not in the US? Second, There are 2 Spidermans on the cover. Ones in the foreground, the other is in some vehicle in the background. The other part to the cover shows a guy, that we assume is Peter, with 2 girls on his arms, one looks like MJ. Can't confirm any of this, but I wonder if this is going to be like a Batman Incorporated l, set in the Marvel U. Hope they will change up the continuity, and take the next step. Their are still a large number of fans still upset from OMD even after all these years. Either way I'm enjoying RYV. It's a great mix of Spiderman, with an FF like family adventure. Will have to see how this all shakes out, and hope they listen to the fans. Right now I think DC is doing a better job with the reboot of their New 52 universe, even though there were some disappointments along the way (I miss Wally West as the flash). Here's hoping...

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter's appeal is that not a hyper efficient family dad/husband like reed, it turns him into something that contrasts his suffering bittersweet concept, he can't be too happy or too miserable he has to be in the right middle. Having a family is way in the happy end of his proper executable characterization and plot.

technogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So your saying you just want the same old character we started out with, a stale character that never evolves. Realize they have been doing these stories for over 40 years now, and kept evolving the character from a nerdy loser in high school, to college student, to a married individual. Then OMD takes all that character development, and throws it away, not to mention the heroes moral compass. Now were back to square one in a new development direction. The Peter dating scene is so old, I've seen them all before. In fact the truth behind Peter's drive is,"with great power, comes great responsibility", and that never rings more true when you have a child. The Parker luck never has to change, but the dynamics of the story can change,and even can become more amplified with a family. When a character stops evolving a character dies, and this is where it usually ends up. I think most people who have been reading the comic since the 70's would agree with me. The current continuity is perversion of the original characters evolution. We all have to grow up some time, even Peter. If Batman can have a son, why can't Peter have a daughter?!

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So your saying you just want the same old character we started out with, a stale character that never evolves. Realize they have been doing these stories for over 40 years now, and kept evolving the character from a nerdy loser in high school, to college student, to a married individual. Then OMD takes all that character development, and throws it away, not to mention the heroes moral compass. Now were back to square one in a new development direction. The Peter dating scene is so old, I've seen them all before. In fact the truth behind Peter's drive is,"with great power, comes great responsibility", and that never rings more true when you have a child. The Parker luck never has to change, but the dynamics of the story can change,and even can become more amplified with a family. When a character stops evolving a character dies, and this is where it usually ends up. I think most people who have been reading the comic since the 70's would agree with me. The current continuity is perversion of the original characters evolution. We all have to grow up some time, even Peter. If Batman can have a son, why can't Peter have a daughter?!

^^^^THIS^^^^ Very well said. Another voice of logic and reason on the comicvine.

When a character stops evolving a character dies - So true, Devil dealing Parker has been in the immature regressive dead zone for 8 years now.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Zarius

@magnetic_eye

Peter even says the line "even characters of fiction have to grow up sometime" in the final season of the 1994 animated series.

It still troubles me greatly that for essentially eight years we've had no real definitive Spider-Man continuity....we've been spoiled more for choice in that regard through a slew of alternate options in the meantime (MC2 from 2008 to 2010, Newspaper strip, 616, RYV), but as much as Marvel insist, 616 is no longer an "accurate" representation of the continuity, the "proper" continuity stopped cold in 2007 and has yet to be followed up on,. presumably because Marvel feel that to do so would sabotage what they're doing now (I argue that it neccersarily wouldn't)

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: The best thing that came out in the last eight years for me was Spectacular Spider-Man. It's like 2007 was worst year in the history of Spider-Man because everything tanked, movies, games, comics and none have recovered since imo.

spider11211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter's appeal is that not a hyper efficient family dad/husband like reed, it turns him into something that contrasts his suffering bittersweet concept, he can't be too happy or too miserable he has to be in the right middle. Having a family is way in the happy end of his proper executable characterization and plot.

Since when is marriage always super happy!

LOL

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: The best thing that came out in the last eight years for me was Spectacular Spider-Man. It's like 2007 was worst year in the history of Spider-Man because everything tanked, movies, games, comics and none have recovered since imo.

Yeah...you look at where everything else is now and you don't have to wonder too much about why Marvel are trying to make everything else a flagship except Spidey...guy's damaged goods and they're gluing everything to him hoping that what sticks will make him relevant again

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By magnetic_eye
    @zarius said:

@magnetic_eye

Peter even says the line "even characters of fiction have to grow up sometime" in the final season of the 1994 animated series.

It still troubles me greatly that for essentially eight years we've had no real definitive Spider-Man continuity....we've been spoiled more for choice in that regard through a slew of alternate options in the meantime (MC2 from 2008 to 2010, Newspaper strip, 616, RYV), but as much as Marvel insist, 616 is no longer an "accurate" representation of the continuity, the "proper" continuity stopped cold in 2007 and has yet to be followed up on,. presumably because Marvel feel that to do so would sabotage what they're doing now (I argue that it neccersarily wouldn't)

"even characters of fiction have to grow up sometime"It's very telling that the creators of that show understood the basic concept and structure to Peter Parker's characterization. Incidentally I've been looking to buy the complete 1994 series DVD box set. They're either not in stock at Amazon or selling for $400.00 on Ebay. I have noticed though that the entire series is up on You Tube which is pretty cool.

I would like to think that Marvel will one day restore the original Peter Parker back to his proper true continuity, restore his strength, maturity, intelligence and wit. With the gluttony of Spider titles coming out, (most of which I couldn't care less about), I don't see why Marvel can't publish two Peter Parker ASM titles; one that undoes the Mephisto deception, exploring Spider-Man's character development to greater glory and prosperity and the other one for all the Sid Phillips type readers.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@magnetic_eye

"even characters of fiction have to grow up sometime"It's very telling that the creators of that show understood the basic concept and structure to Peter Parker's characterization. Incidentally I've been looking to buy the complete 1994 series DVD box set. They're either not in stock at Amazon or selling for $400.00 on Ebay. I have noticed though that the entire series is up on You Tube which is pretty cool.

I would like to think that Marvel will one day restore the original Peter Parker back to his proper true continuity, restore his strength, maturity, intelligence and wit. With the gluttony of Spider titles coming out, (most of which I couldn't care less about), I don't see why Marvel can't publish two Peter Parker ASM titles; one that undoes the Mephisto deception, exploring Spider-Man's character development to greater glory and prosperity and the other one for all the Sid Phillips type readers.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This reads just like a comparison Douglas Ernst would make. Well played.

magnetic_eye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimishim12 said:

Since when is marriage always super happy!

LOL

No Caption Provided

That's right, marriage is a whole gamut of human emotions. It's the beginning of an incredible journey based on love, communication, commitment and trust. A happy marriage means working together through all the trials and tribulations that come your way. It's what constitutes a strong long lasting relationship.

Also, how is having a family the happy end to Peter's characterization and plot ideas? If anything it serves to expand upon his character development with stories that haven't been told.

technogeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The big question I have is how is RYV going to impact the spiderverse. Is Marvel really doing a reboot,or will they follow DC's comvergence, limited story lines with minimum impact. Everything I've seen so far seems to be returning to same old continuity with minor changes. Unless the 616 Peter dies in secret wars, I don't expect any change. Most likely secret wars is going to be a disappointment, and a tease to those of us enjoying RYV. I don't beleive they will ever go back on OMD. We already know Miles will get his own book, so what will Amazing become, more of the same, or something completely new? What do you think?

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The big question I have is how is RYV going to impact the spiderverse. Is Marvel really doing a reboot,or will they follow DC's comvergence, limited story lines with minimum impact. Everything I've seen so far seems to be returning to same old continuity with minor changes. Unless the 616 Peter dies in secret wars, I don't expect any change. Most likely secret wars is going to be a disappointment, and a tease to those of us enjoying RYV. I don't beleive they will ever go back on OMD. We already know Miles will get his own book, so what will Amazing become, more of the same, or something completely new? What do you think?

They won't go back on OMD, they're convinced it was necessary medicine we needed to take. It'll be undone when people who were pissed off with it years back take charge of Marvel, same applies to people still ticked off that Jean Grey is dead.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The concept of the story is interesting. but I have little interest in the execution of the story because i don't find in very in engaging or interesting.

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

thats exactly what they're doing since spider gwen still has her world

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.