Follow

Nemesis

Character » Nemesis appears in 23 issues.

The most intelligent man in the world as well as the only super villian, Nemesis has one simple goal; Make the lives of the best cops a hellish nightmare.

Review: Nemesis #3

Zack Freeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 371

User Lists: 0

Edited By Zack Freeman
    No Caption Provided
    If Chief Morrow thinks he's got Nemesis right where he wants him, he's in for a hell of rude awakening as the super villain proves that no prison can bind him and no enemy's vulnerabilities are beyond his grasp.

The Good

I give Millar a lot of credit for not pulling a single punch to make this an unrestricted, uninhibited and totally balls-out outrageous experience. Nemesis' break-out and subsequent blackmail scheme against Morrow is so over-the-top, the roof (as it were) is completely out of sight. As for McNiven's art... it was absolutely blockbuster and totally badass, something all-the-more impressive given how the "behind-the-pages" portion at the back reveals just how much leeway he was given for 97-against-one guard beatdown.

The Bad

The fact that this is still a cape-and-tights supervillain story tempers my enjoyment a little bit, simply because I'm always thinking "Oh, this is an evil, color-reversed Batman" instead of just appreciating Nemesis on his own merits. I would've preferred it if they'd pushed this further into its own mileau, even if it were just a slightly more toned-down masked anti-hero story like Diabolik and Fantomas (as this is obviously inspired by.) And it should go without saying that this isn't intended for the easily-offended.

The Verdict - 4.5/5

I wasn't much of a fan of Kick-Ass, so I was going into this expecting not to like it and, thus, it means a lot when I say I found this to be a wickedly-entertaining comic. The action's wonderfully intense and the humor's so black that, even as you feel terribly guilty, you can't help but laugh at what your seeing (and yes, I'm talking about the twisted, twisted gag revealing what Nemesis does to Morrow's kids.) This is comics' equivalent to rock music... something loud, fast and inappropriate. Something you can't resist headbanging to, even if your parents won't approve.
    Sergotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Sergotron

I do dig the cover. I love it that the price is part of the cover layout.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By InnerVenom123

Glad it got a good review, I'm getting it next week.
    Gunslinger6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Gunslinger6

I loved it, Mark Millar really knows how to write about action, and McNiven knows how to put it on paper. However Millar's not that great on twists: just like with the twist in Kick-Ass, I think it's pretty obvious what 'twist' we're about to see in the next issue (what the top cop's partner 'couldn't believe' in the end). I hope I'm wrong though, it would be too obvious. (I think the spoiler-button finally works)

hero4hire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hero4hire

This issue was amazing! I can't wait to see what they got in store for issue #4

SpaceCommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SpaceCommander

This Issue actually proves that Nemesis makes Kick-Ass looks like SHIT!  That Massacre/Escape scene proves that.  By the way, I think it would have been more awesome if Mark Millar based Blake Morrow of off Harrison Ford.  Just saying.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.