Spider-Man Comics Discussion

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#14151  Edited By animehunter

4 page Preview: Invincible Iron Man #5 - OUT January 6th, 2016 (Mary Jane)

STORY BY Brian Michael Bendis

ART BY David Marquez

COLORS BY Justin Ponsor

LETTERS BY VC - Clayton Cowles

COVER BY David Marquez, Justin Ponsor

The big finale to our big first storyline. Cards are turned over. Truths are revealed. Tony's life is turned upside down!

COMICVINE <<< 3 more pages located here

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES <<< 3 more pages located here

I'm just loving this art even without Mary Janes dialogue, you get the sense that she's about to lose everything, IMO the dialogue in a way lessens the impact, but that in itself doesn't take away from the art just a little from the emotional impact.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

Dedonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14152  Edited By Dedonus

Spider-Man Unlimited wasn't as bad as you make it seem to be. It is just that it aired right when a certain anime that was based on a Nintendo rpg, called Pokemon, just began to catch steam. Spider-Man 2099 would have gotten smashed by Pokemon just as Spider-Man Unilmited did.

@blackspidey2099 said:

@zarius: wow, never knew we missed out on a 2099 show for crappy unlimited Spidey... :(

Edit: Also, has there been confirmation that MJ will be in Iron Man for the long term? From that preview, I just smell a Red Herring...

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14153  Edited By animehunter
@dedonus said:

Edit: Also, has there been confirmation that MJ will be in Iron Man for the long term? From that preview, I just smell a Red Herring...

Yes it's been confirmed that for the time being Mary Jane will be a long term member of the Iron Man supporting cast. I won't say it'll be permanent, because I'm hoping she'll return to ASM once Slott leaves, but for now I'm happy she's somewhere and under a writer and artist who'll do her justice and repair the damage caused to her by Slott.

and remember, this is only her second issue in the title, while I'm sure we'll get some answers in it, I doubt it will be solidified until issue 6 or 7 and then we have Peter guest staring in issue 8.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14154  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter: Well, this is reassuring...we're seeing MJ's inner thoughts at work now letting us know of her current feelings, it appears we were right about the club being an "all or nothing" gamble too. That'll probably tick Doug Ernst off a bit as he balked at the suggestion when I brought it up.

And just in case you're curious, here's the final daily strip of 2015, we end on another cliffhanger as Namor's attack is but a day away and Peter reminds his wife there's more to worry about than the young Atlantean Pharus...

No Caption Provided

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius said:

@animehunter: Well, this is reassuring...we're seeing MJ's inner thoughts at work now letting us know of her current feelings, it appears we were right about the club being an "all or nothing" gamble too. That'll probably tick Doug Ernst off a bit as he balked at the suggestion when I brought it up.

That it would, lol

amazingfantasy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If MJ ends up knocking Madame Masque (or maybe Doom? If he's just playing dah good guy or something... just going by the cover notagoodideaiknow) out, I'm calling it now! :p

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I checked out the other pages on the link supplied, and it seems like Friday's in-progress log mentions something about paying MJ for damages to the club because she knows the battle will "tear the ^&%king place apart", rofl.

@animehunter@amazingfantasy

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14159  Edited By animehunter

@zarius said:

I checked out the other pages on the link supplied, and it seems like Friday's in-progress log mentions something about paying MJ for damages to the club because she knows the battle will "tear the ^&%king place apart", rofl.

@animehunter@amazingfantasy@punyparker

Just noticed it, I really should start reading those lol. yet another reason to like Invincible Iron Man over ASM, what book would make you want to read this part.

EDIT: Thing is even if she is reimbursed, the reputation of the club is shot, as I said before the reputation of a club or any establishment is set on opening night, and because this happened even if she gets her money back from Tony, there's a high possibility that she will never be able to run a club again, because now she'll have the reputation that her clubs are a magnet for these sort of incidents.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14160  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter: Very good point, little bread-crumbs like this make for good creative strategy on Bendis' part. This, for MJ's business rep, is "strike 3 and you're out".

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dedonus: I've watched the whole series and it just wasn't great at all. Characterization felt very forced and the characterization of Venom and Carnage was completely off. Spidey 2099 would have been much better.

@animehunter I'll definitely be getting this because it looks like MJ will have a larger role, but I don't like how she seems to be characterized in it based on the preview.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's still early days for her with this only being her second issue, Bendis is going to need time to build her up again to what she was, before Slott got a hold of her, I would say that by issue #6 possibly #7, she should be well established in the book and we will have a better idea of her role and characterisation in it. By #8 with Peter making an appearance, I'm assuming that we will also get what their relationship is like after the 8 months.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14163  Edited By Zarius

I do have concerns for the way she's characterized too, but you have to understand this is post-OMD MJ we're dealing with here, who is a completely different character from the one we were used to for twenty years (or indeed, the one we still get in the dailes), she's been shackled for eight years by the setbacks of BND-Superior. For a reader who's only ever known her from this current period, it would be jarring to see her switch from that so abruptly. Bendis has to build her back up from scratch again and reintroduce those readers to the elements of her character that we were used to. It will not be perfect obviously (because Bendis has to follow orders), but an improvement is all we can reasonably expect at this point until we're surprised by something else.

@blackspidey2099 said:

@dedonus: I've watched the whole series and it just wasn't great at all. Characterization felt very forced and the characterization of Venom and Carnage was completely off. Spidey 2099 would have been much better.

Pretty much this. I remember the UK's Channel Five even took a swing at it in a documentary about Spider-Man made in 2002, calling it a confusing mess.

Jimishim12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you guys prefer Mary Jane over freaking Peter Parker(His main title no less) in another story, then you ain't true spiderman fans. Heck I'm more disturbed you prefer a side character over the titular hero even though MJ is nothing in comparison to the entire mythos of Peter Parker's stories and personality.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14165  Edited By animehunter

Just a heads up, Marvel have announced that due to the printing and release error the following 7 titles will be available for sale tomorrow January 1st, 2016.

• Amazing Spider-Man #6
  • Howard The Duck#3
  • Nova #3
  • Spider-Man 2099 #5
  • Rocket Raccoon And Groot #1
  • Spidey #2
  • Obi-Wan And Anakin #1

The following 4 will also be affected by an early release, these were scheduled for January 13th, 2016, and are now to be released January 6th.

• Amazing Spider-Man #1.2,
  • Darth Vader #15,
  • Spider-Gwen #4,
  • Ultimates #4

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14166  Edited By Zarius

Ah Jimmy, resorting to "NO U" posts now just because you're bitter that I rightfully called you a faux fan for your complete and utter misunderstanding of the characters and the reasons for their longevity? Yeah, you've been crushed completely now. No matter what you say, MJ's lasting legacies ensure she remains a crucial and much loved component of the mythology and complexity of Peter Parker's character and there's nothing you can do about it.

@animehunter: So we've gone from certain titles being 'shipped late this year to 'shipping early in the next. A literal reversal of fortunes for fans

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14168  Edited By Zarius

@kiba: Thankyou, he had it coming.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14169  Edited By animehunter

From CBR <<< Click here for the full article

There wasn't much but here's what there was

AXEL-IN-CHARGE: Reflecting Back on Marvel's 2015 on New Year's Eve

Fridays on CBR mean Axel's In Charge.

Welcome to MARVEL A-I-C: AXEL-IN-CHARGE, CBR's regular interview feature withMarvel Comics Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso!

An editor with years of experience in comics receiving both critical acclaim and best-selling status, Alonso stepped into the chair at the top of Marvel's Editorial department and since then has been working to bring his signature stylings to the entire Marvel U. Anchored by regular question and answer rounds with the denizens of the CBR Community, each week Alonso will shake things up with special guest stars, exclusive art reveals and more!

RELATED: Looking Ahead to 2016's Biggest Pop Culture Moments in Comics, Film & TV

Hey, it's New Year's Eve! And in the spirit of the year-end articles all around the Internet this week (including on this very website), this week's edition of AXEL-IN-CHARGE takes a look back at 2015 in Marvel publishing, with Alonso reflecting on the massive event series "Secret Wars," the line-wide All-New, All-Different Marvel launch, the rise of humor books such as "The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl" and "Howard the Duck," the influence of Netflix series "Daredevil" and "Jessica Jones," and the greater diversity in Marvel's output. Plus, a brief look ahead to 2016, and Alonso's picks for his favorite film, TV show and album of the past year.

----

On a similar note, what surprised you with Marvel Publishing this year, either positively or negatively? Maybe a book or character you didn't think would take hold the way it did, or something that didn't quite make your expectations?

Alonso:Spider-Gwen took everyone by surprise. When we saw the love that character was getting, we pivoted on a dime and I'm very proud of the series [Editor] Nick Lowe put together. Jason Latour, Robbi Rodriguez and Rico Renzi have created a truly unique book.

Let's wrap the Marvel talk with a look forward -- what are you most excited about what's coming from Marvel in 2016? What should readers really be paying attention to?

Alonso: Everything! [Laughs]

Honestly, that's not a question I can -- or should -- answer because it comes down to the taste of the individual reader. If you crave a full picture of the Marvel Universe, then you'll want to read"Civil War II" and core series like "Invincible Iron Man," "All-New, All-Different Avengers" and "Captain America." continued here....

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

angelalfonso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a heads up, Marvel have announced that due to the printing and release error the following 7 titles will be available for sale tomorrow January 1st, 2016.

• Amazing Spider-Man #6
  • Howard The Duck#3
  • Nova #3
  • Spider-Man 2099 #5
  • Rocket Raccoon And Groot #1
  • Spidey #2
  • Obi-Wan And Anakin #1

The following 4 will also be affected by an early release, these were scheduled for January 13th, 2016, and are now to be released January 6th.

• Amazing Spider-Man #1.2,
  • Darth Vader #15,
  • Spider-Gwen #4,
  • Ultimates #4

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

those are good news, i guess

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14172  Edited By animehunter

Preview: Spider-Man/Deadpool #1 - OUT January 6th

STORY BY Joe Kelly

ART BY Ed McGuinness, Mark Morales

COLORS BY Jason Keith

COVER BY Ed McGuinness, Dave Johnson, John Tyler Christopher, Will Sliney , Mike Del Mundo

BECAUSE YOU DEMANDED IT!

The Webbed Wonder and the Merc with a Mouth are teaming up for their first ongoing series EVER! It's action, adventure and just a smattering of (b) romance in this episodic epic featuring the WORLD'S GREATEST SUPER HERO and the star of the WORLD'S GREATEST COMICS MAGAZINE. Talk about a REAL dynamic duo!

COMICBOOK.COM

COMICVINE

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

====

CBR TOP 100 COMICS OF 2015

CBR'S TOP 100 COMICS OF 2015: #10 - #1 (Marvel*3 / DC*1)

Click Here For Full Descriptions

• 10. The Fade Out
  • 9. Bitch Planet
  • 8. The Omega Men (DC)
  • 7. Step Aside, Pops
  • 6. Paper Girls

5. Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (Marvel)

Written by Ryan North

Art by Erica Henderson

Published by Marvel

"For years, Marvel fans (surely some of them, at least) have been united under one very specific wish: 'Will Squirrel Girl ever get her ongoing series?' She did in 2015, and thanks to the expert work of Ryan North & Erica Henderson, it was even more glorious than the most demanding Squirrel Girl fanatic could have expected. It's a series so full of humor, the jokes spill out of the panels and onto the bottom of every page. It's a big ol' high five to just how fun and funny superhero comics can be."

-- CBR Managing Editor Albert Ching

"Squirrel Girl has been Marvel Comics' longest-running joke for a good long while now. And while the new series by the perfectly matched pair of Ryan North & Erica Henderson has certainly been screamingly funny, I think its safe to say that the days of not taking Squirrel Girl seriously as a flagship character in the Marvel U are truly over. Every issue of this series has been a sheer delight, filled with good-natured laughs, meta-humor, potshots at Marvel's own dour disposition, friendship, and fuzzy tails. It's the rare book that is truly all-ages. Make sure you don't skip the footnotes!"

-- CBR Staff Writer Casey Gilly

"It takes quite a bit of skill to execute the mixture of character development and next level wackadooness present in every issue. Writer Ryan North and artist Erica Henderson continue to knock it out of the park in this glorious superhero sitcom of a comic."

-- CBR Contributing Writer Tamara Brooks

"'What, you think I won't fight a dinosaur? Are you crazy? All I want to do is fight dinosuars.' That quotes perfectly sums up the magnificence of Ryan Noth & Erica Henderson's 'Squirrel Girl.' If only we all could want to fight dinosaurs as much as she does."

-- Comics Should Be Good Editor Brian Cronin

4. Star Wars (Marvel)

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by John Cassaday, Simone Bianchi, Stuart Immonen, Mike Deodato

Published by Marvel

"Han doesn’t say, 'Chewie -- we’re home,' in this series, but it’s absolutely how Star Wars fans feel reading it. This series strikes a great balance of plucking on nostalgic strings by revisiting the golden era between Episodes IV and V and pitting familiar characters in long-imagined, unseen conflicts, while also unveiling new faces with new adventures that fit the tone just as well. Sana Solo and Grakkus the Hutt might technically be new 'Expanded Universe' characters, but they fit so seamlessly with Luke, Leia, Han and the gang you’ll swear you saw their action figures a long time ago, in a Darth Vader carrying case far, far away."

-- CBR Assistant Editor Brendan McGuirk

"Marvel's relaunched 'Star Wars' series did not mess around. With a string of A-list artists and newsworthy reveals, this flagship series delivered 13 issues packed with character moments and action that were intrinsically 'Star Wars.' Jason Aaron dumped all the Star Wars toys out of the Lucasfilm toy chest and slammed them together in brilliantly thrilling ways, with John Cassaday and Stuart Immonen proving they're two of the best artists in the galaxy. This is the year that gave us Sana Solo, Leia and Han wielding lightsabers, Luke fighting Boba Fett -- and it all happened in the comics, not on film."

-- CBR Assistant Editor Brett White

"'This is the comic book you're looking for.' That was the lede for my story about 'Star Wars' when it launched back in January and mega-talented writer Jason Aaron and all-star artists John Cassaday, Simone Bianchi and Stuart Immonen have yet to disturb the force by delivering an epic adventure for Luke, Han and Leia in each and every issue of this best-selling series. "

-- CBR Staff Writer Jeff Renaud

"2015 will go down as the year of Star Wars, and Marvel's flagship title starring the most iconic Star Wars characters has been a huge part of this year long celebration of the galaxy far, far away. Every panel is packed with the adventure, humor and intensity that Star Wars fans expect. A perfect love letter to all things Star Wars.

-- CBR Contributing Writer Marc Buxton

• 3. March: Book Two

2. Ms. Marvel (Marvel)

Written by G. Willow Wilson

Art by Adrian Alphona, Takeshi Miyazawa, Elmo Bondoc

Published by Marvel

"Kamala Khan tore through her second arc as Marvel's preeminent young superhero without losing an ounce of the fun, humor and relatability that made her such a star out the gate. G. Willow Wilson kept the tensions between Kamala's Western upbringing and Islamic family just as engaging and potent as those between her civilian life and her crime-fighting alter ego. Artists Adrian Alphona and Takeshi Miyazawa handed art chores back and forth with ease, each bringing a unique style to the book and neither sacrificing a lick of the fun or energy. Where "Ms. Marvel" really shone though was in the 'Last Days' arc, easily one of the best 'Secret Wars' tie-ins. As Kamala's universe was literally torn apart, rather than fighting the big cosmic threats she was trying to keep her community safe in Jersey City. Issues #18 and #19 featured almost no action at all, but rather gave Kamala a chance to spend one last day with her friends and family, and receive a beautiful and wrenching revelation from her mother. It was a sequence that proved that the even the best superhero fisticuffs mean little if they're not bolstered by a believable and lovable personality behind the mask."

-- CBR Staff Writer Casey Gilly

"This year G. Willow Wilson and her collaborators on 'Ms. Marvel' made me laugh, cry, and cheer often all in the same issue and multiple times. The 'Last Days' tie-in arc to 'Secret Wars' was particularly standout. It was an end of the world tale packed with all the heart, humor, and emotion you'd come to expect from the book, while also delivering plenty of payout and fun twists to long time readers "

-- CBR Staff Writer Dave Richards

"'Ms. Marvel' continues to be one of the most fun and exciting superhero comics out there. Kamala is funny and relatable, and brings a sense of wonder to her adventures that is too rare in the genre. Alphona and Miyazawa do wonders with their facial expressions and small physical bits, grounding all of these characters in everyday experience and emotion. This is just a really grand comic."

-- CBR Contributing Writer Shaun Manning

"G. Willow Wilson, Adrian Alphona and Takeshi Miyazawa just keep hitting beat after beat. After a strong showing in 2014, 'Ms. Marvel' continues to bring the quality and the fun. Despite events and other crossovers, the series maintains its distinct voice, unique style and charm, furthering Kamala's personal arcs even while participating the larger Marvel sandbox. 'Ms. Marvel' is consistently fun, wonderfully relatable and always heartwarming."

-- CBR Assistant Editor Meagan Damore

"'Ms Marvel' continues to be fun and full of artistic humor and energy, and crucially, it's one of the only comics on the stands where love and family are central instead of peripheral. Wilson mixes ordinary teenager worries and the demands and delights of being a superhero with a light hand."

-- CBR Reviewer Jennifer Cheng

1. Saga (Image)

Written by Brian K. Vaughan

Art by Fiona Staples

Published by Image Comics

"Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples are so damn good at their craft that sometimes readers almost take "Saga" for granted. Almost. This Eisner Award-winning space opera continues to be a huge commercial success for the superstar creative team and the adventures of Alana and Marko, the series' star-crossed lovers, are just as entertaining, if not more so, in Year 4 as they were when 'Saga' launched in 2012. "

-- CBR Staff Writer Jeff Renaud

"'Saga' is so many things, but one of the most fascinating is that it's an adult comic with a child as its central character -- and we get to see that baby girl grow up. It's something simple, something to which everyone can relate, whether as a parent or just from having come of age in the recent or not-so-recent past, and yet is quite rare in comics and other serial media. Though her parents have most of the agency at this point in the story, Hazel's narration hints at a broader destiny as she grows, and I am continually fascinated."

-- CBR Contributing Writer Shaun Manning

"Writer Brian K. Vaughan continues to find surprising new directions for his intimate and epic space opera, introducing new characters and new settings that immediately become essential to the ever-changing story. And artist Fiona Staples depicts them all with boundless creativity and stunning expressiveness."

-- CBR Contributing Writer Josh Bell

"Little needs saying about the hottest book on the block, only reaffirming. Brian Vaughn & Fiona Staples are an amazing team. Every character, every panel, every shocking death, every transporting moment… it all leaves me wanting more."

-- Guest Contributor Heather Johanssen

"Another year of 'Saga' brings yet another uncomfortable splash page that will be hard to forget. (Thanks a lot, self-pleasuring dragon.) This year in 'Saga' also brought a couple of heartbreaking deaths, more space-drugs, shocking violence, and an imaginative, war-torn, sci-fi universe that continues to be populated with alien weirdos that feel all too human."

-- CBR Contributing Writer Ryan Ingram

"Every word, every panel, every page of Brian K. Vaughan & Fiona Staples 'Saga' is an exercise in some of the greatest world-building ever seen on a comic book page. Staples is currently setting the standard for modern sequential storytelling in this book and Vaughan continues to pull on the heartstrings while he juxtaposes intense sex and violence with a truly heartwarming tale of family loyalty. Seriously, they're going to name awards after this book someday."

-- CBR Contributing Writer Marc Buxton

"All 'Saga' does is tell the best, most heartfelt stories in comics by constantly darting and swerving throughout the galaxy, introducing original concepts and characters on every page along the way. I don’t know what the big deal is."

CBR'S TOP 100 COMICS OF 2015: #25 - #11 (Marvel*3 / DC*4)

• 25. Lady Killer
  • 24. Thor / Thors / The Mighty Thor (Marvel)
  • 23. Supermutant Magic Academy
  • 22. Huck
  • 21. Two Brothers
  • 20. Astro City (DC)
  • 19. Shaft
  • 18. Grayson (DC)
  • 17. Batman (DC)
  • 16. Multiversity (DC)
  • 15. The Wicked + The Divine
  • 14. Silver Surfer (Marvel)
  • 13. Star Wars: Darth Vader (Marvel)
  • 12. Jem and The Holograms
  • 11. Archie

CBR'S TOP 100 COMICS OF 2015: #50 - #26 (Marvel*5 / DC*4)

• 50. Invisible Ink
  • 49. Giant Days
  • 48. The Walking Dead
  • 47. Prez (DC)
  • 46. Jughead
  • 45. Hawkeye (Marvel)
  • 44. Bloom County
  • 43. Sam Zabel and the Magic Pen
  • 42. The Arab of the Future
  • 41. Injection

40. Secret Wars (Marvel)

Written by Jonathan Hickman

Art by Esad Ribic

Published by Marvel

"'Secret Wars' is a story that brought out the best in both its writer and artist. Jonathan Hickman arranges the plot’s game board with the meticulousness of a dungeon master, and Esad Ribic brings the pieces to life with characters that exhibit verve and charisma. My favorite part of the sprawling crossover is the simple Doctor Doom vs. Reed Richards conflict at its core. These are characters whose brilliance, along with the Black Panther, has long been told to Marvel readers, but Hickman’s story gives them a chance to exhibit it. Doom is a beloved character who deserved to be the centerpiece of a modern story, and a Latverian war wouldn’t have been enough. Only a multiverse-sprawling mega-apocalypse starring every character in (and out) of the Marvel canon could befit the House of Ideas' greatest despot. I’m no genius, but the team behind 'Secret Wars' sure made Marvel look smart for entrusting them with the keys to their kingdom."

"With Marvel's 'Secret Wars,' Jonathan Hickman & Esad Ribic have taken the art of the crossover event and elevated it to a new level. What could have very easily just been a 'greatest hits of the Marvel Universe' ended up being so much more. Seriously, this comic has no right to be as good as it is."

-- CBR Contributing Writer Mike Pallotta

• 39. Batgirl (DC)
  • 38. Constantine: The Hellblazer (DC)
  • 37. Loki: Agent of Asgard (Marvel)
  • 36. Sacred Heart
  • 35. Daredevil (Marvel)
  • 34. Lazarus
  • 33. Stray Bullets: Sunshine & Roses
  • 32. Fight Club 2
  • 31. The Vision (Marvel)
  • 30. Phonogram: The Immaterial Girl
  • 29. The Story of My Tits
  • 28. Southern Bastards
  • 27. Midnighter (DC)
  • 26. Descender

CBR'S TOP 100 COMICS OF 2015: #75 - #51 (Marvel*4 / DC*3)

• 75. Batman and Robin Eternal (DC)
  • 74. Monstress
  • 73. Hellboy in Hell
  • 72. The Sculptor
  • 71. Fante Bukowski
  • 70. Harley Quinn (DC)
  • 69. Island
  • 68. The Goddamned
  • 67. Zodiac Starforce
  • 66. Trashed
  • 65. Weirdworld (Marvel)
  • 64. Danger Club
  • 63. All Star Section 8 (DC)
  • 62. Plutona
  • 61. Wytches
  • 60. Ruins
  • 59. S.H.I.E.L.D. (Marvel)

58. Amazing Spider-Man (Marvel)

Written by Dan Slott, Christos Gage

Art by Giuseppe Camuncoli, Olivier Coipel, Humberto Ramos, Adam Kubert

Published by Marvel

"Dan Slott's ability to maintain momentum on Spider-Man after nearly eight years remains remarkable. In 2015, he wrapped up 'Spider-Verse' (an ambitious event rounding up nearly every Spider-character in history), carved out a piece of the 'Secret Wars' landscape in 'Renew Your Vows' (while showing fans a version of the Peter Parker-Mary Jane marriage that could have been), then relaunched the series (again) with Peter Parker now a Tony Stark-esque globe-trotting industrialist. Slott can't do it alone, of course: This past year, he was again joined by top-notch, visually diverse artists. The sheer number of ideas on display during the Slott run on Spider-Man has ensured it'll be remembered as one of the very best eras in the world-famous character's history, and it looks like there's still a ways to go left on this ride."

-- CBR Managing Editor Albert Ching

@animehunter - (I'll just say that, I 100% disagree with this statement expect for "Renew Your Vow" there is nothing great about Slotts run, as a matter of fact, Slott ruined ASM for me to the point that I have lost all interest in a character that I have been reading for years & years, which was only furthered with what he did to Black Cat and Mary Jane, and Personally, although 58 is pretty low, I would have prefered it to have an even lower rank.)

• 57. MIND MGMT
  • 56. Casanova: Acedia
  • 55. Captain America: Sam Wilson (Marvel)
  • 54. Displacement: A Travelogue
  • 53. Black Magick
  • 52. Copperhead
  • 51. Southern Cross

CBR'S TOP 100 COMICS OF 2015: #100 - #76 (Marvel*2 / DC*5)

• 100. Superman: American Alien (DC)
  • 99. Elfquest: The Final Quest
  • 98. Howard the Duck (Marvel)
  • 97. "Ant-Man"/"Ant-Man: Last Days"/"Astonishing Ant-Man" (Marvel)
  • 96. Melody: Story of a Nude Dancer
  • 95. A Silent Voice
  • 94. Dungeon Fun
  • 93. Sex
  • 92. The Dark Knight III: The Master Race (DC)
  • 91. Batman '66 (DC)
  • 90. Groot (Marvel)
  • 89. James Bond
  • 88. Berlin
  • 87. DC Comics: Bombshells (DC)
  • 86. Shutter
  • 85. Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye
  • 84. Ragnarok
  • 83. The Sandman: Overture (DC)
  • 82. Invisible Republic
  • 81. Kaijumax
  • 80. Nimona
  • 79. The Autumnlands
  • 78. The Legend of Wonder Woman (DC)
  • 77. Heart in a Box
  • 76. Princess Ugg

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

kiba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14175  Edited By Zarius

Happy new year everyone.

And to Peter and MJ: Let's hope somewhere still you get to enjoy 29 years of marriage.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14176  Edited By kcomicfan

Happy new year Spider-Man fans.

I hope the Spider-man book continues to be great, after a really good 2015.

knightwriteri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jimishim12 I try to be nice to you Slott lovers to find som common ground because when it comes to reading spiderman my taste are diverse my empathy high and my demand for quality storytelling quite low. (I mean I enjoy all the 90's stories even Maximum Clonage for God's sake I give Sins Past 4 Stars) For example I can understand even agree with those who want peter to be a CEO where I disagree with them is that it has to be organically built up to over the course of years and more importantly it has to be a product of Peter's mind and effort not Ock's creation. Notice how Peter had that great idea for a supervillian prison but when we time skip it's Otto's work that has put Peter on the map typical Slott.

CONSIDER ME DONE! When it comes to you Slott lovers the gloves are off if you are BOTH so incredibly selfish or ignorant so as to like this hollowed out shell Marvel calls Spiderman and his world and mock/deny the importance of both MJ (The mythology's Deuteragonist) the value of Peter's history and massively creatively fertile territory like Peter being a parent. You are a faux fan you want some cotton candy storytelling invest in it somewhere else!

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14178  Edited By animehunter

Preview: Amazing Spider-Man #6 - OUT January 1st & 6th, 2016

STORY BY Dan Slott

ART BY Matteo Buffagni

COLORS BY Marte Gracia

LETTERS BY VC - Joe Caramagna

COVER BY Alex Ross

• One of Spider-Man's most terrifying villains, MISTER NEGATIVE, has followed him to Shanghai.

• In Mister Negative's service are two beloved Marvel heroes. Wait, TWO HEROES?!

• What is Mister Negative's plan and how did he convince two fan-favorite heroes to join him? Pick up this issue to find out!

COMICVINE

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

Preview: Spider-Man 2099 #5 - OUT January 1st & 6th, 2016

STORY BY Peter David

ART BY Will Sliney

COLORS BY Rachelle Rosenberg

LETTERS BY VC - Cory Petit

COVER BY Francesco Mattina

• Spider-Man 2099 and Captain America 2099 race through the streets of present-day New York City looking for a dangerous futuristic fugitive!

COMICVINE

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

Preview: Spidey #2 - OUT January 1st & 6th, 2016

STORY BY Robbie Thompson

ART BY Nick Bradshaw

COLORS BY Jim Campbell

LETTERS BY VC - Travis Lanham

COVER BY Nick Bradshaw, Jim Campbell, Olivier Coipel,Bengal

• Spidey and Sandman square off in a titanic tale that'll knock you out!

• Get it? Knock you out? Because Sandman.

• The book has better jokes than the solicits, we swear!

COMICVINE

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

Preview: Howard The Duck #3 - OUT January 1st & 6th, 2016 (2 Pages of Gwenpool #3)

STORY BY Chip Zdarsky, Chris Hastings (Gwenpool)

ART BY Joe Quinones, Joe Rivera, Danilo Beyruth

COVER BY Joe Quinones, Paolo Rivera, Rob Liefeld

• The entire universe is after Howard! Is it because he's very handsome? Charming? Yes!

• No, wait. Of course not. Sorry.

• Howard is actually very difficult to be around sometimes. Also, it's hard to tell if he's handsome since he's a duck.

• Join Chip & Joe for ... DUCK HUNT! The storyline created just so we could use that title!

• Plus the conclusion of the Howard/Gwenpool backup!

COMICVINE

COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14180  Edited By kcomicfan
@knightwriter said:

@Jimishim12 I try to be nice to you Slott lovers to find som common ground because when it comes to reading spiderman my taste are diverse my empathy high and my demand for quality storytelling quite low. (I mean I enjoy all the 90's stories even Maximum Clonage for God's sake I give Sins Past 4 Stars) For example I can understand even agree with those who want peter to be a CEO where I disagree with them is that it has to be organically built up to over the course of years and more importantly it has to be a product of Peter's mind and effort not Ock's creation. Notice how Peter had that great idea for a supervillian prison but when we time skip it's Otto's work that has put Peter on the map typical Slott.

CONSIDER ME DONE! When it comes to you Slott lovers the gloves are off if you are BOTH so incredibly selfish or ignorant so as to like this hollowed out shell Marvel calls Spiderman and his world and mock/deny the importance of both MJ (The mythology's Deuteragonist) the value of Peter's history and massively creatively fertile territory like Peter being a parent. You are a faux fan you want some cotton candy storytelling invest in it somewhere else!

So we are "Faux fans" for liking Spider-man for different reasons then you, because we like spider-man single/dating and not a parent, and because we don't like MJ?. Remind me again who is the ignorant one here.

And the worst thing is you think just because we like Spider-Man for different reasons then you, we should not be a fan of the character. Like that is not Bigoted and makes sense.

kcomicfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What was the point of making Gwenpool like Gwen Stacy if she is not Gwen Stacy?

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a heads up, Gwenpool is actually Gwen Poole and has no connection to Gwen Stacey what so ever.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

Thank god. Still not reading it tho.

@zarius said:

I do have concerns for the way she's characterized too, but you have to understand this is post-OMD MJ we're dealing with here, who is a completely different character from the one we were used to for twenty years (or indeed, the one we still get in the dailes), she's been shackled for eight years by the setbacks of BND-Superior. For a reader who's only ever known her from this current period, it would be jarring to see her switch from that so abruptly. Bendis has to build her back up from scratch again and reintroduce those readers to the elements of her character that we were used to. It will not be perfect obviously (because Bendis has to follow orders), but an improvement is all we can reasonably expect at this point until we're surprised by something else.

@blackspidey2099 said:

Pretty much this. I remember the UK's Channel Five even took a swing at it in a documentary about Spider-Man made in 2002, calling it a confusing mess.

True. I will definitely keep following IIM until the Spidey crossover is finished.

And of course, Happy New Year to everyone! BTW, I managed to read ASM #6, and I did mostly enjoy it, though I thought the art quality has decreased.I won't bother discussing it yet, since I doubt any of you have been able to pick it up.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

@animehunter said:

Just a heads up, Gwenpool is actually Gwen Poole and has no connection to Gwen Stacey what so ever.

Thank god. Still not reading it tho.

Damn straight.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@animehunter said:

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

Then how?!.....what is this?!

According to interviews we should find out during her ongoing series coming this year

"Her whole deal is, she’s from the world that she claims to be — some sort of 'real world' — and knows of the Marvel universe as a fictional one," explained Hastings. "So the series is a lot about her believing she’s in a fictional world with no consequences. She’s seen everyone come back to life at some point, and it sort of seems like she’s living in a video game. And then the book is going to be the universe fighting back at that."

The ongoing will be handled by writer Christopher Hastings and art team Gurihiru, which is comprised of Chifuyu Sasaki and Naoko Kawano. Hastings and Gurihiru have so far handled Gwenpool's -- aka Gwen Poole, not an alternate-universe Gwen Stacy-- previous appearances in the Marvel Universe, and their connection with the character is going to continue.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14186  Edited By animehunter

From Bleeding Cool

Spidey #2 Uses A Challenging Comic Book Storytelling Device. Just Doesn't Realise It.

s1

In Sandman Overture, there’s an example of a page that is ripped in two over the turn of the page. It’s a clever storytelling device.

s2

Well, Spidey #2 does it too.

Larger Image (Spoiler)

Spidey 01

Just, you know. Not deliberately.

Larger Image (Spoiler)

Spidey 02

Ba-dum tish!

===

From Bleeding Cool

Marvel Approved “Early” Sales Today Because It Would Help Marketshare?

Marvel shipped a number of comic books early to some stores in the US this week in error, apparently. But told retailers that they couldn’t sell them until next week. Even though many had unpacked, stacked, slipped then into pull lists and sold them on eBay. We mentioned it a couple of times, including the news that Marvel had relented and said that stores could sell the book from today. And also released them today on ComiXology.

But why wait till the 1st of January when some stores were selling it from the 30th December? Why not do it earlier?

I’m told that Marvel finances are measured by when comic books are officially on sale in stores from. Even though those comics were sold by some stores from the 30th, by making the official date the 1st, all those sales count towards the first quarter of 2016 and January marketshare. The first quarter is traditionally a down period for the comics industry. It seems that the last quarter, full as it was with Vader Down, Secret Wars and All-New All-Different Marvel didn’t need any help, but the next one will. And this might just add a percent or so onto that figure, especially with a new Star Wars #1 issue.

Say… could that be why Uncanny X-Men #1 slipped to January? And Secret Wars #9???

Conspiracy!

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14187  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter: That had me going there for a minute...I thought Marvel were actually going out of their way to be cleverer than they are...then I saw the scan. ROFL.

Over in newspaperland, young Pharus is telling Namor the hospital treatment's made him feel pretty good.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14188  Edited By animehunter

DOUGLAS ERNST - Review - DAN SLOTT TO FANS: EMBRACE ASIAN FLING FEEDING INSPECTOR SPIDER-GADGET WITH CHOPSTICKS IN ASM #6

A man must be incredibly close with a woman before she starts hand-feeding him. A white guy who could convince his “girl-power”-loving Asian fling to feed him with chopsticks would need incredible skills to pull off such a feat. I say this because The Amazing Spider-Man #6 is out, and Dan Slott expects fans to embrace Lien Tang (spelled ‘Lian’ in ASM #1) as a legitimate love interest, even though the only “evidence” of such a bond between the two came in the first issue — when she said they were “very close.”

Besides the whole “white guy who dreams of having his own concubine” feel to the relationship with Lian, it’s just poor writing. The seriousness between Lian and Peter came out of nowhere. There was no build-up. There was no courtship. Readers — including those who are wondering why Marvel refuses to reunite Peter with M.J. — are asked to care about a character because she’s responsible for building the Spider-mobile.

Note to Dan Slott: It doesn’t work that way (even if it is one step above the Cindy Moon “pheromones” debacle).

Continued.....

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14189  Edited By Zarius

Not much to write about this issue is there? That tends to happen when you have a wafer-thin plot

Quick-dry web-cement.

People actually pay Slott to write this stuff.

The_Waffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14190  Edited By The_Waffle
Tattacus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zarius: That's got to be up there with shark spray.

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14192  Edited By animehunter
Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14193  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter: ROFL, that'll be the third MJ/Wade variant in the past several months counting the RYV ones (one of which saw MJ give Wade a booting)

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

animehunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14196  Edited By animehunter

After issue #6, I'm beginning to think that female driver in the Spider Mobile on the issue #8 cover is Lien, reason being is I'm thinking Slott is going to use these 3 issues 6-8 to solidify Lien role, plus the fact that she explicitly said that only she and Spider-Man can drive the car, plus with Peter apparently going to be inverted/currupted by Mr. Negative, it could be that Slott is going to have her be the only one to notice something's wrong with Peter and she'll be the one to rescue him by administering the counter agent.

Why they couldn't do the same with Mary Jane during Superior, your guess is as good as mine.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOUGLAS ERNST - Review - DAN SLOTT TO FANS: EMBRACE ASIAN FLING FEEDING INSPECTOR SPIDER-GADGET WITH CHOPSTICKS IN ASM #6

A man must be incredibly close with a woman before she starts hand-feeding him. A white guy who could convince his “girl-power”-loving Asian fling to feed him with chopsticks would need incredible skills to pull off such a feat. I say this because The Amazing Spider-Man #6 is out, and Dan Slott expects fans to embrace Lien Tang (spelled ‘Lian’ in ASM #1) as a legitimate love interest, even though the only “evidence” of such a bond between the two came in the first issue — when she said they were “very close.”

Besides the whole “white guy who dreams of having his own concubine” feel to the relationship with Lian, it’s just poor writing. The seriousness between Lian and Peter came out of nowhere. There was no build-up. There was no courtship. Readers — including those who are wondering why Marvel refuses to reunite Peter with M.J. — are asked to care about a character because she’s responsible for building the Spider-mobile.

Note to Dan Slott: It doesn’t work that way (even if it is one step above the Cindy Moon “pheromones” debacle).

Continued.....

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

More of Douglas Ernst's biased views. Basically the only good point he made was how Lien/Lian has her name spelled differently in both. This relationship is obviously not meant to be something serious, as evidenced in how she appeared twice in six issues. And the reason Peter's improved tech doesn't suck the drama out of stories is because he now faces equally stronger threats.

As for the Deadpool variant covers, I have something you guys would (not) like to see... (hehe):

No Caption Provided

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After issue #6, I'm beginning to think that female driver in the Spider Mobile on the issue #8 cover is Lien, reason being is I'm thinking Slott is going to use these 3 issues 6-8 to solidify Lien role, plus the fact that she explicitly said that only she and Spider-Man can drive the car, plus with Peter apparently going to be inverted/currupted by Mr. Negative, it could be that Slott is going to have her be the only one to notice something's wrong with Peter and she'll be the one to rescue him by administering the counter agent.

Why they couldn't do the same with Mary Jane during Superior, your guess is as good as mine.

-

@punyparker

@zarius

@amazingfantasy

@blackspidey2099

Might be fun if the driver was Julia Carpenter or The Black Widow...

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14200  Edited By Zarius

@animehunter

@punyparker

@blackspidey2099

@amazingfantasy

There's a nice bit of tension building in the daily Sunday strip today, as Namor is'nt listening to young Pharus' insistence that Doctor Bellman's treatments were good for him. Jameson is more concerned also about getting the morning edition of the Bugle out, and Robbie reminds him people may be too terrified to go out and buy one. Peter holds MJ pretty close to him in the first panel. Meantime, Doctor Bellman herself seems distanced from the trouble, thinking about something else....

...Come to think of it, just about every character of the current arc appears in this strip reacting to the imminent invasion (Peter and MJ, the military, Namor, Pharus, Doctor Bellman, Jameson, Robbie), but I can't help but wonder...with Atlantis about to attack, a whole fleet of attack ships, where the dickens are the Avengers?