Nicolas Cage or Scarlett Johansson: The Better Actor?

• 82 results
modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By modernww2fare

Poll Nicolas Cage or Scarlett Johansson: The Better Actor? (94 votes)

Nicolas Cage 56%
Scarlett Johansson 44%
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

• 
JamieWolfe7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@deronn_solo said:
@black_wreath said:

Nic Cage, especially if it's a train wreck. :D

@static_shock said:
@jamiewolfe7 said:

Positive reviews do not a good movie make

I disagree. If a movie has generally positive reviews from both critics and the people that watched the movie, then it's generally accepted that it's a good movie. You're entitled to your opinion, though.

A good movie: any movie you personally like.

Ehh, I gotta agree with Static here. General censuses is the driving force when determining what's accepted as "good", or "bad".

Your relationship with art is a personal one, its merits are subjective and not to be determined by popular vote.

That's sort of my feeling. Many times I've strongly disagreed with Rotten Tomatoes and their ilk, it's almost become a rule of thumb for me that the lower they rate a movie the more I'll probably like it.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw: No, not from what I've ever watched or heard. The only one mixed performance I have heard about her is the Broadway revival of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

Avatar image for naturallygifted
NaturallyGifted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw: No, not from what I've ever watched or heard. The only one mixed performance I have heard about her is the Broadway revival of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

But why? Is she not convincing? Does she not act good enough to make it appear as real feelings? I don't pay so much attention to these things (unless the actor is really horrible or really good and persuading), so I don't remember anything.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The GIF is very convinving

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw: Oh a lot of people consider ScarJo a great actress, I included, I just don't know why she's being put against Cage. She's actually got a slew of good films behind her that praise her acting.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw: Oh a lot of people consider ScarJo a great actress, I included, I just don't know why she's being put against Cage. She's actually got a slew of good films behind her that praise her acting.

Okay.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jgames said:

The GIF is very convinving

Exactly.

Mfundroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How can Scarlett Johansson not be anyone's celebrity crush? She's awesome.

Luellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People actually like Nicholas Cage. Only on CV. Only on CV....

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By Static Shock

@black_wreath said:

A good movie: any movie you personally like.

I haven't seen either movie, so I can't give a personal opinion on it. But, if the general consensus states that a movie is good, then it's generally accepted as a good movie. Also, liking a movie doesn't necessarily mean that it's good. There are some movies that I liked, but were either average or worse in terms of film quality and cinematography. Guyver 1 & 2, Mortal Kombat, Robocop 2, the first Ninja Turtles movie (film critics ripped that movie apart, too), etc.

We have differing opinions on what defines a good movie, though.

Yet, the media judges every movie based on popular vote. Not saying that you're wrong, but the entertainment business set it up that way.

DaDivineKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By DaDivineKing

@black_wreath:

Your relationship with art is a personal one, its merits are subjective and not to be determined by popular vote.

So, I can say my random scribbles on a paper is better than the Leonardo da Vinci's Mona Lisa, or Michael Angelo's Adam's Creation because definitely better than those paintings because I say so? I can say Lil Wayne's Rebirth [please follow link] is the best rock album ever, because I say so?

Art maybe subjective, but c'mon - we all know general censuses, plays a role in what's seen as good and bad.

JohnBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cage stomps.

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the fact Nic is winning.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5b16d537c03
deactivated-5e5b16d537c03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly? Cage.

https://youtu.be/j_WDLsLnOSM

Rustlingjimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Scarlett Johansson actually is a decent actor. Cage pics more goofy roles which gives the percepetion of him being a bad actor sometimes but he is actually pretty good. If anything stalemate.

TheSuperor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By TheSuperor

Based on the gifs in the OP, Scarlett Johansson

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator  Online

Scarlett, by Lost In Translation alone. I'm hearing she outdid herself in Marriage Story and that it was 100% scripted, but I haven't watched it yet.

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This shouldn't be close, as Nic Cage has some roles that are downright iconic but the man has become a parody of himself. Scarlett is quickly catching him and from all accounts she holds her own opposite Adam Driver in Marriage Story. Looking forward to that one.

Buckwheat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SJ has two powerful reasons to be on this poll.

Avatar image for infantfinite128
infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: I thought Lost in Translation was a great movie but I don't remember her performance. What did you think was so good about it?

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@infantfinite128: yeah, been a while since I watched the entire film, but I think it's actually my favorite to date if I'm being honest. Definitely somewhere at the top; it's what a classic indie film should be.

As for Johansson's performance, I remember Coppola saying she casted her because she had encapsuled the subtlety required for the setting and the character or something along those lines. I think that one of the greatest aspects of the film is the quiet, artistic subtlety, and she really did manage to pull that alongside someone like Murray. By subtlety I'm mostly referring to the fact that the film isn't as theatrical as an indie film can be, but it draws you in the story with a very low-key, realistic, yet incredibly powerful feeling; that's what Scarlett did as Charlotte for me. You could see the disappointment written all over her face in the first act, you could see the expressions of her acting like a student of life and a good friend to Murray's character in the second act, and she was genuinely happy having fun with him during a playful night in Japan, with a good bit of romantic tension in the air, but just enough for it to not be sexual. And there's that iconic final scene. Her performance is backed up by very strong direction and a fantastic co star, but I still think very highly of it contributing to this movie.

Also worth noting that she got away with playing a 25 year old woman at 17.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000: Thanks! I appreciate the extensive post.

What is its competition for your favorite movie? I'm looking for recommendations.

Avatar image for uxasgodoflordsz
UxasGodOfLordsZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on the gifs in the OP, Scarlett Johansson

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@infantfinite128:

All time iconic classics like 'The Green Mile' and 'Dead Poets Society' are up there. They're hard to top, and they're stuff that'll go down in history like The Godfather imo.

I'd also recommend 'The King's Speech', which is fairly recent. It has hints of soft comedy, but it's a great example of a film using a decently accurate depiction of a historic event for a powerful message, or rather an insight on the forming and advance of a social relationship - friendship. Plus it's interesting to look at the depiction of the 1980's U.K. from the eyes of the royal family as a sidenote.

Honeatly, there's a bunch of indie films I want to catch up with this year, finally found myself having free time in college. I find myself going through random filmographies - mostly from the later 90s to early 2000s - at this point. The classes I took last year on theatrical studies really made me appreciate cinema on another level.

infantfinite128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@anthp2000:Thanks for the recommendations. Kings Speech is one of my favorite movies from recent years.

The Godfather is the film I hold in the highest regard. It's one of the reasons why the 1970s was my favorite decade of films, but I'm now leaning towards the 1950s.

Enjoy your film watching!

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Scarlett's on her A game (not Black Widow), she's pretty good. I'd say she's better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5de3bc3375cc5
deactivated-5de3bc3375cc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ScarJo... Nic is horrible, lol.

Soratoumiga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Scarlett.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime Cage was great and I voted for him.

But his the recent movies I had the occasion to watch were awful...