I need to choose an English essay topic (Please Help)

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Corporal Punishment (I. e. disciplining children via physical means) or "Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission" Supreme Court case or "Is Tyler Perry hurting the black community via his movies?"

I'm doing an oral interview with a person I've yet to choose. I'm also currently attending Howard University, a majority and historically black school, so I want to know which topic I should choose. Which topic is the best to discuss with an older individual?

My opinions on the subject are as follows:

I believe corporal punishment (ie beatings, whup'ns, spankings, etc) are too barbaric nowadays. I think the black community is too used to using it as a form of discipline without logic. It's a leftover technique from slavery and is justified by the bible. The biblical justification isn't an excuse though as in the past slave masters used other verses to justify everything from slavery to murdering villages.

The "Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission" was a tough decision by the S. C but I sided with the cake shop owners because they offered to provide a premade cake just not make one.

I hate Tyler Perry. He's done nothing but hurt the black community by portraying black men as nothing more than abusive monsters, child molesters and killers. I think he's making money off the black women that hate black men and that sickens me. I think the only people that defend him are the black women that agree with his attitude and the black men who overestimate the amount of jobs he provides.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were you I'd go with the second option. Current events usually lead to interesting discussions.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bd0d99b6c6f7
deactivated-5bd0d99b6c6f7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If I were you I'd go with the second option. Current events usually lead to interesting discussions.

Lil_Remains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Tyler Perry. He's done nothing but hurt the black community by portraying black men as nothing more than abusive monsters, child molesters and killers. I think he's making money off the black women that hate black men and that sickens me. I think the only people that defend him are the black women that agree with his attitude and the black men who overestimate the amount of jobs he provides.

this is a blatant lie, and demonstrably untrue. I hate Tyler Perry because he’s a trash filmmaker but that’s still a very blatant lie.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I say go with the second one personally. I think there more nuance, and more possibility for you to show why both side are in the right and wrong, but ultimately why you agree with this side. While with option 1 and 3, you leaning too much in one side, which just from personal experience either make for a strong presentation or a horirble one, but usually its terrible. So safe bet is the second one imo.

Amonfire1776

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first one has statics and peer reviewed studies which can offer the most support for your arguments...

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Banger's and mash

Tenguswordsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would recommend the second option as well.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I disagree with all your opinions, they are puerile garbage and you need to rethink the way you have come to your conclusions.

Which one of your opinions did you most want to defend while you read my comment? Write about that one.

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how tyler perry is trash.

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@barkerer: why the hell did you bump this thread?

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just to clarify the Bible does not encourage corporal punishment, that only applied to early Israel under Mosaic law, but by the time of the Greek Scriptures (New Testament) corporal punishment was not encouraged, never did Jesus or any of his apostles/disciples teach to physically abuse anyone

jb681131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hypnos0929: Well, like the title says, "[you] need to choose ... a topic", not us.

Alavanka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Write your essay on how Corporal Punishment is an effective means of punishment.

Divyansh13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would fail because I am the biggest dumbass in my class.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Corporal Punishment (I. e. disciplining children via physical means) or "Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission" Supreme Court case or "Is Tyler Perry hurting the black community via his movies?"

I'm doing an oral interview with a person I've yet to choose. I'm also currently attending Howard University, a majority and historically black school, so I want to know which topic I should choose. Which topic is the best to discuss with an older individual?

My opinions on the subject are as follows:

I believe corporal punishment (ie beatings, whup'ns, spankings, etc) are too barbaric nowadays. I think the black community is too used to using it as a form of discipline without logic. It's a leftover technique from slavery and is justified by the bible. The biblical justification isn't an excuse though as in the past slave masters used other verses to justify everything from slavery to murdering villages.

The "Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission" was a tough decision by the S. C but I sided with the cake shop owners because they offered to provide a premade cake just not make one.

The Tyler Perry point is a good one. I believe that yes some of the narratives he portrays are negative. I genuinely believe that alot of the hyper masculine ideas in the Black Male Community are a form of trauma protection against horrible things that have occurred to them historically. It also doesn't help white perceptions of black people

However, I believe that in the Black Community we give too much rope to problematic people within our community because they meet preconceived notions of success, and either ignore or overlook negative aspects in their lives. That is due to a lack of role models for sure. I think Tyler Perry plays with that notion, just in a way that is rather obtuse and sensationalized.

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pollyy:

This is a 3 year old thread... why did you bump it?

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First seems the most interesting. But third seems kind of fun.