Do you generally agree with The Critical Drinker?

• 84 results
modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you generally agree with The Critical Drinker? (73 votes)

Yes 48%
No 52%
No Caption Provided

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-64969837cbeff
deactivated-64969837cbeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't say. I never heard of him or his content.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#53 Straight-Fire  Online

He sucks.

Andromeda1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whom?

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By arctika

Most of the time. I'll tell ya this much, I'll listen to him any day over Grace Randolph lol

Ben2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arctika said:

Most of the time. I'll tell ya this much, I'll listen to him any day over Grace Randolph lol

who?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By tparks

I agree more with Will Jordan than The Drinker, who is just a character. It’s like taking the Angry Video Game Nerd seriously. Ya, there’s always truth to whatever he says, but he dials it up to 11 to be entertaining. Listening to him on his podcast or in interviews, he’s actually a pretty laid back guy.

And anyone who thinks he’s just anti-modern-politics should look into his own fiction. He’s a pretty good writer, and the most talented character in his most popular Ryan Drake series is a woman. The only difference between him and the writers he brutally criticized is he spends a great deal of time and story explaining how she became the most capable and deadly person on the planet.

But either way, a lot of the things he trashed, is just media everyone is getting sick of, and he’s saying the same thing everyone else is, but just being more animated about it. The movies he recommends, are usually the same movies everyone agrees with are great. He’s not actually controversial at all.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben2004 said:
@arctika said:

who?

You never heard of Grace Randolph? She's a "professional movie critic" very well known on youtube and twitter and is known for saying stupid things like the Mario movie for instance the part where he is in the animal suits she was confused by it and said "maybe this is big in Japan with the furry audience but for Mario just seems to demeaning" I'm paraphrasing but that's more or less what she said...that's just the tip of the iceberg though she's said a lot of dumb stuff over the years regarding video game adaptations to comic stuff.

MaulSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Referee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still

@referee said:

Generally - Yes

But not all the time.

Unhappy-Hyena

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reading through this I got a question, what's there to disagree with him about for all the people they do

Avatar image for comicvinepoozer1
comicvinepoozer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven’t heard of him, but from the looks of what he talks about and stands for, I’m sure I won’t watch him

heiqn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By heiqn

Nope, I tried to watch him many times since I posted comment on this thread, but he overexaggerates the smallest details and talks about them for minutes to the point I find myself eyerolling, brings completely unrelated things for the sake of comparison, being a boomer and praises every shit from past, and despite he claims he criticizes projects with secret political agenda, he clearly follows a political agenda himself and doesn't judge a lot of projects fairly. Also I don't find his voice funny, it sounds irritating to me.

Also comparing him to Grace Randolph isn't fair, Critical Drinker knows what he is talking about usually, I'll give him that.

arctika

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By arctika

Well some people just love Grace apparently ^ don't ask me why, to be honest CD for me is hit or miss on some subjects but he is funny at least. Grace is pretty much always a miss...and mega woke. I tend to agree with his points most of the time. He definitely knows more about stuff than Grace but then your average joe does too so not sure that's saying much. I mean she didn't get Mario and was defending The live Little Mermaid like it was made by her mother. She was also surprised Mortal Kombat was as big as it was....

kuonphobos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

He's funny.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still yes.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 socajunkie  Moderator

Mostly. Sometimes he completely misses the point of a film though, I think it was him who criticised Godzilla vs Kong for the lack of plot or something and I remember thinking who the hell watches Godzilla vs Kong for the plot.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 takenstew22  Moderator

Watching movie long reviews ain't my cup of tea unless it's for stuff I today agree with like YMS' Lion King 2019 review.

Loading Video...

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can raise some legitimate points but is far too negative and comes across as biased.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

90% of the time. I agree with him 100% when he criticizes Disney though.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#74 Straight-Fire  Online

Trash ass content with a dumb fanbase. I'd rather watch something actually good.

Ben2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude is just as annoying as the "woke" audience he cries about.

A_FINE_EDITION

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean... maybe I agree with some of his opinions. But I just cannot stand his grating goddamn voice. I know he's playing it up a bit for the sake of a character, but even the small amount of stuff I've seen with him on podcasts and such is just straight up not fun to listen to. Add to that the fact that he's clearly playing to an audience of people that are arguably as annoying as what they criticize, in a movement in media consumption that's so annoyingly played out by this point that they're the new standard of what to avoid and be annoyed about, and I just have no interest in watching much of his content. He's just playing to the same anti-woke crowd as everyone else nowadays. It's just annoying at this point to hear the same dudes complain at length about the same issue popping up again and again, while also constantly putting out this air of smug superiority and self-assured condescension bordering on outright cockiness. I just wanna tune it all out at this point.

Avatar image for sixpathsofcapra
SixPathsOfCapra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to watch his videos every now and then just for the irony of it all and all I can say is that the guy is a crybaby with paranoia who actively looks for things that offend his fragile male ago. I hope that's all a play to cater to his angsty audience because it's hard to imagine how one can live a healthy life with that kind of insecure outlook towards the world around them.

Personally I don't mind his grift if it helps balance out the rampant wokeness is pop culture. I like the irony of fighting autism with autism.

But the problem is people like him becoming popular makes movie criticism look bad.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 socajunkie  Moderator

Yes aside from when he's clearly reaching to find an issue for a film that either isn't there or is isn't as problematic as it actually is.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Eisenfauste

Nah he plays too much into "they hired a woman as the lead the film will fail"

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as bad as the yellow flash dude who's racist tho.

modernww2fare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as bad as the yellow flash dude who's racist tho.

Which YouTuber is that?

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NOHOOUR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

seems like the people who hate his content still watch his content

reminds me of an old school basket youtuber whom everyone is silent on when he praises the new school NBA but the moment he's critical of the new school NBA, rabid fanboys attack him and call him a hater nevermind that the has facts and evidence to prove his point

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nohoour said:

seems like the people who hate his content still watch his content

reminds me of an old school basket youtuber whom everyone is silent on when he praises the new school NBA but the moment he's critical of the new school NBA, rabid fanboys attack him and call him a hater nevermind that the has facts and evidence to prove his point

fanboy sad that people criticize his man?

noobsnowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He is too much of a drinker, which limits his ability to be a proper thinker.

But jokes aside, I never watched him, so I can't really pass judgment.

DarkRealm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 DarkRealm  Online

He is too much of a drinker, which limits his ability to be a proper thinker.

But jokes aside, I never watched him, so I can't really pass judgment.

BraveBold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

His insights on startrek would be important for the writers to hear

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

A lot of people who disagree with him are listening to their hearts, not their heads. Yes, Drinker may bear a grudge against Disney but his criticism of them is generally logical.

catlike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By catlike

@ghostodoofus2: He may make fair points on the Star Trek intellectual property and Disney (sort of) -- I'd have to watch his Star Trek videos to find out but in total they seem to take 45 minutes or more worth of time to watch; but overall I think the backlash he's getting from this Comic Vine thread alone is warranted.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

I don't hate him, there are worse of his "clones" on YT. I just don't like negatively oriented critic channels in general. Especially ones with videos that are the length of an entire film.

Except his one. This one's good.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for theinsufferable
TheInsufferable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may have agreed with him if I watched the shitty movies he watches, but unlike him, I prefer to spend my time watching stuff I actually like.

Avatar image for poedameronsbutt
Poedameronsbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He’s annoying as Hell. Even tho I agree with a lot of his points He’s literally just another 2019 “SJW’S ARE TAKING OVER!” YouTube Clown who makes copy paste critique videos for views. And it’s Ironic cause he’s just as “ Toxic” or “Agenda pushing” as the people he criticizes.