Wonder Woman - Sword or No Sword?

• 72 results
ganon15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Wonder Woman - Sword or No Sword? (83 votes)

w/Sword & Shield 73%
Old School 27%
No Caption Provided

It's come to my attention that the sword & shield have become part of Diana's standard gear across all media. Do you prefer her with or without it?

• 
MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m either way really

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With, she's a warrior

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 anthp2000  Moderator  Online
Avatar image for deactivated-5c917f846ef0b
deactivated-5c917f846ef0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes to the Sword, don't know about the shield tbh.

rem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rem

No sword. She should rely on her lasso Like in the comics. I don’t think she’ll have a sword in WW1984

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the sword in a lot of situations but I don't like how in the DCEU its really the only thing that makes her a serious threat to most other high tiers.

I think her strength and durability should both be very high.

Mister_Surreal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was going on to say her classic barehand look is better, instead I will lean towards the sword and shield look.

Avatar image for handofprometheus
HandOfPrometheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Without! She had way better feats and respect when she wasn't using them. Now it seems shes being written weaker and so reliant on them.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

With surfer's broad

Ot with sword

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd prefer more lasso action even if it is a little silly.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk said:

Yeah I'm on board with this. I am a fan of Diana with a sword and shield but still, the lasso is kind of her signature weapon so I'd rather that get more of the spotlight.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk said:

Yeah I'm on board with this. I am a fan of Diana with a sword and shield but still, the lasso is kind of her signature weapon so I'd rather that get more of the spotlight.

The sword and shield just seem a little barbaric to me. I thought Wonder Woman was all about love. I get that she is also a warrior, but she isn't brutal. Lots of warriors are gentle and precise, which is what the lasso showcases.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without. When I think of WW I don't think of a sword or shield, I think lasso.

I don't mind her with it but it just seems below someone that powerful. Like what does she need a sword for with all that strength.

It would be different if the sword was magic or gave her extra abilities like the atom-splitting one in the new 52 but even then it doesn't make her any cooler to me. Idek where that DCAU pic of her with a sword comes from, I never remember her using it in that show and it just looks wrong to me

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Her reliance on The Sword and Shield feels overplayed now. I would prefer if she only breaks them out on special occasions.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Magian

I don't mind the sword, it is just that she isn't often really shown doing anything impressive with it.

somayareece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian said:

I don't mind the sword, it is just that she isn't often really shown doing anything impressive with it.

I think a lot of us feel this way. What is the point of having the sword if it doesn't make her any better than without it? Just give the sword to someone less powerful like Batman lol. They should give her the creation blades and have her only use it occassionally against much more powerful villains.

somayareece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk said:

These guys get it

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
@asphaltairborne said:
@anthp2000 said:
@kevd4wg said:

With, she's a warrior

She was a better warrior and more powerful before the sword era. She is first and foremost a powerhouse. That is what she was created for. Not red sonja.

So she should just be the same as every power house, but also have a lasso? Her gear and being a warrior is what puts her apart from other powerhouses

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gaoron

She's better as an amazonian warrior not BDSM fantasy.

Sword/Shield > Lasso

Nucleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_hajduk: The sword and shield just seem a little barbaric to me. I thought Wonder Woman was all about love. I get that she is also a warrior, but she isn't brutal. Lots of warriors are gentle and precise, which is what the lasso showcases.

Yeah, the lasso is a good idea. As a writer, it's hard not to make a sword lethal. The shield also help differentiate her from Superman, but gets her closer to Cap Am. Also, it is kind of redundant because she already have the bracers and aegis.

Moreover, WW needs a clear direction, and a clear origin - Any one, as long as it is consequent and sticks. Is she a warrior-princess of greek origin, fighting in a classical manner or is she a flying flag bunnysuited version of Superman? Latest developments tends to point towards the former - a good choice, IMO. So, in according to this, antique weapons are okay. But must it be a damn (medieval) sword again? Athena's own weapon was a spear. Would WW look good with a spear?

The reason why I am not a fan of WW is because she is literally all over the place. And yet I do know that re-making her over and over again is part of her problem.

ourmanuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for masterwitcher88
masterwitcher88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian said:

I think a lot of us feel this way. What is the point of having the sword if it doesn't make her any better than without it? Just give the sword to someone less powerful like Batman lol. They should give her the creation blades and have her only use it occassionally against much more powerful villains.

Its like people have lost any semblance of balance with it. Remember Greg Rucka's first run where Diana only used a sword and shield against Medusa and Barios aka beings that actually would require her to use a weapon. It was really cool because of how rare she used it and that it meant shit was about to go down. Now its just everywhere; she uses it against street levelers, teammates, friends, even innocent bystanders. Then suddenly it becomes worthless against opponents that it actually should be used against *cough* Doomsday in Death of Superman *cough*.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w/Sword & Shield

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I like the sword and shield but when added its as if writers forget the lasso and bracelets

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By cattlebattle
@jayc1324 said:

. Idek where that DCAU pic of her with a sword comes from, I never remember her using it in that show and it just looks wrong to me

It's from the upcoming Justice League vs Fatal Five movie....which I guess takes place in the DCAU.

Loading Video...

the_wspanialy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With, obviously.

Tomkatie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By adamTRMM

With of course. Makes her a distinct mythic warrior which is 100% on point. She also shouldn't fly without getting into the God mode.

Something that needs to happen in live action, is her pulling the sword out of her bracelets, maybe even forming a shield out of them too.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By DeathandGrim

The sword both completes the theme of an Amazon warrior and does enough to differentiate her from just being another DC brick that punches things

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Embrace her Greek heritage; sword and shield.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ca9389143922
deactivated-5ca9389143922

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sword. She always felt like a weaker Superman with Karate, without it, tbh . . .

Yassassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Just the lasso. It's ties in better with her sensual nature and the massages of submission which is far more interesting then making her Red Sonja or Xena.

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Without, but I don't really mind the sword & shield.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DeathandGrim

@agent41 said:
@DeathandGrim2 said:

The sword both completes the theme of an Amazon warrior and does enough to differentiate her from just being another DC brick that punches things

Being another generic warrior woman is better?

Wonder Woman was a far more competent warrior before the sword. She was a diplomat, a warrior a powerhouse. She had far more to offer than just swinging a sword at everybody. She had a more unique origin and backstory that was different from th other types of flying bricks.

She flies and has a lasso, bullet reflecting gauntlets, and a sword and shield. Hardly what I'd call generic. What I was saying was the sword helps diversify her style from just a slightly different style of punching that Superman does to an interesting weapon based style that DC Bricks don't have a lot of.

I wasn't making a commentary on the character herself, just her fighting, sorry I didn't make that clear

somayareece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By somayareece

Why does she even need a shield for anyways? Is that not the point of her gauntlets? Let us give the Flash a Bugatti while we at it

HeroUp2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sword and shield fits her warrior heritage better.

somayareece

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the consensus is that it just looks cool on her since she's a warrior (and even that's questionable). Any logical reason why she needs them?

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:
@gaoron said:

She's better as an amazonian warrior not BDSM fantasy.

Sword/Shield > Lasso

She didn't need to carry a sword and be angry all the time like many current portrayals to be good. Before her sword she was a dplomat, a warrior with codes and a powerhouse. Her character and verse had more to offer than just super human red sonja.

I like scoutgirl Diana much better than a bitchy one myself. But it has nothing to do with her equipment, it's more about current times we live in and the wave of feminazis in USA. DCEU WW has a sword/shield, acts like an amazonian and her character is still great and likeable, probably one of the best versions of Diana out there. Not getting into power level debate, WW was never a powerhouse on Superman level to me, in pre52 Clark could still one shot her so nothing changed.