TAS Reviews: Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 (Spoiler Free)

• 112 results
Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey
No Caption Provided

Guardians of The Galaxy Vol. 2 is the sequel to the 2014-smash hit Guardians of The Galaxy. It is directed by James Gunn, who directed the previous movie.

Although the idea of a talking raccoon and a tree in a superhero movie sounded bizarre on paper, it proved to be an extremely succesful, entertaining blockbuster film. Not everyone loved it, but personally I consider it to be up there with Marvel's The Avengers and The Dark Knight as one of the greatest superhero films ever made. Despite my love for the first film, Guardians 2 was my least hyped CBM of the year, especially since we're getting a Justice League movie this year, and a Spider-Man movie that looks actually good.

That said, I was still excited to see what Gunn was going to do with the sequel, especially since he was so eager to make a movie that is different from it's predecessor, instead of trying to emulate it's success. This is the first superhero movie in years that I saw before reading ANY reviews. I've still yet to read any reviews because I wanted to give my opinion on this film without the influence of any other opinions.

Let's start off with some of the better aspects of this movie: Gunn's direction is even stronger than the first film. There are sequences in this film that ooze off a sense of confidence, life, comedy, and energy. There are scenes in which the music perfectly synchs up with what's going on screen and it's just a joy to witness. The action overall is an improvement on the first film: gone are the flat, uninventive action sequences, instead replaced with dynamic, interesting action sequences.

No Caption Provided

Remember that awesome opening of the first film where Star-Lord dances his way to the Orb to the tune of Redbone's "Come And Get Your Love."?This film somehow manages to top that opening with a phenomenal introduction. Overall, James Gunn (or whoever is responsible for the soundtrack of this film) still has a great ear for beats. The first GoTG had Hooked On A Feeling, Pina Colada and more, and this film delivers once again with a GREAT soundtrack. There are classical songs in this film I want to google up once I'm done with this review.

In terms of humour, most of the jokes in this film land, and when given good material, the returning actors predictably perform well. Pratt's performance is just as charismatic, all the while being more natural. Zoe Saldana as Gamora is a lot better than the first film, Bradley Cooper once again does a hysterical job as Rocket, and Vin Diesel as just about as good as you can be when your only lines are I, and Am, and Groot, specifically in that order. Rooker does a good job as Yondu. Bautista is good as Drax. In terms of new additions, Mantis exceeded by expectations. She was great and I hope to see her again.

That's really all there is to it guys. This movie is one of my least favourite MCU films, and certainly the most disappointing. The initial set-up: the initial conflict isn't compelling. It reminded me of Fantastic Beasts in that regard. Another CBM this movie reminded me of, and I might get flak for saying this, is the last Fantastic Four film. Most of this film is set in repetitive locations, with a tacked on, bombastic climax set in a bland environment. This film TRIES to emulate Empire Strikes Back's multi perspective structure, but the difference between this and Empire is that, that film had a compelling, gripping set-up. Plot is almost non existent for the first 1 hour and 40 minutes of the movie.

The conflict is terribly established and rushed. The structure is terrible: long periods of time pass with nothing interesting going on. Ego The Living Planet is in it, and his character is terrible. The parental relationship between Peter and his father is also simplistic and shallow. The villain is terrible. I wish I could get into more detail, but I'm trying not to spoil what little plot there is to the movie.

No Caption Provided

Although I said a lot of the humour in this film succeeded, this film is still comedically inferior to the first film. Gunn went for QUANTITY over QUALITY. A joke that is initially funny will be repeated again, and again and again until it loses it's appeal and becomes annoying. Remember how Drax cracks up laughing when Mantis reveals Star-Lord's "deepest, darkest secret"? Drax does that a LOT in this movie, to the point where he became more pretentious than endearing. He'll just burst into a fit of laughter multiple times throughout the movie. Mind you, Drax isn't the only character that does it. That's my problem with the humour in this film. Characters will say something and then crack up laughing. You know what they're doing, right? They're asking for a laugh. They're poking you and telling you this is when you should laugh.

The movie tries to be emotional, but the set-up just wasn't strong.

No Caption Provided

That's my opinion on the movie. It's a misguided attempt at doing something different from it's predecessor but it's clear Gunn doesn't have the chops to do a middle, more emotional chapter. Even the thought of seeing Ego THE LIVING PLANET, falls short of what Gunn described as "the biggest special effect in movie history." It isn't even the best special effect in this movie. If you're a Marvel fan, I think it's worth seeing it for yourself, but personally? It's up there with The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2 and The Dark World as one of my least favourite MCU films.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@ready_4_madness said:

This didn't boost my confidence in this film, I'll pass. Sad to hear that the villain isn't good in another MCU film.

Yeah, the villain is terrible. Spouts the most generic, cringeworthy shit you'll ever hear a villain say in a CBM.

I just checked and this movie is getting good reviews. Hate to say it but Marvel bias is real =/

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

... It's Age of Ultron all over again ...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
Loading Video...

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never had really high expectations for this film, but like every other CBM I'll still see in theaters. Mind telling me who the villain is in a spoiler block? And so they did show Ego in planet form?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@uugieboogie:

I never had really high expectations for this film, but like every other CBM I'll still see in theaters.

Sure. It's still worth watching as a CBM fan!

Mind telling me who the villain is in a spoiler block?

Ego The Living Planet is the villain.

And so they did show Ego in planet form?

Yeah, I guess. Nothing impressive, TBH.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By buildhare

I thought it was great. You can say Marvel Review bias in relation to other CBM's but even within the MCU it was easily one of the best. Comparing it to AOU in terms of quality is absurd.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@buildhare said:

I thought it was great. You can say Marvel Review bias in relation to other CBM's but even within the MCU it was easily one of the best. Comparing it to AOU in terms of quality is absurd.

I disagree. AoU was superior to this film.

The first 1 hour and 40 minutes of this film have no plot. They spend a majority of the film slumping around in the planet of EGO.

I also prefer Ultron to Ego. I prefer Ultron's man child persona to Ego's "DON'T DO THIS. JOIN ME. THIS IS YOUR DESTINY. DON'T DO THIS. PLEASE. OPEN YOUR EYES."

You're entitled to your opinion, but so am I.

PeterParkerJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

So basically, it looks cool, has great action, but doesn't have much to say in the way of a story. I figured as much. I was never too hyped for this movie, but I'll still see it in theaters.

Ego The Living Planet is in it, and his character is terrible. The parental relationship between Peter and his father is also simplistic and shallow.

*Sigh* I knew they should've just went with J'Son.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

That's really all there is to it guys. This movie is one of my least favourite MCU films, and certainly the most disappointing.

Uuh ooh

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So do they fight him in that humanoid form or in planet form? My main curiosity about the film is the handling of Ego.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*Sigh* I knew they should've just went with J'Son.

+1

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

So do they fight him in that humanoid form or in planet form? My main curiosity about the film is the handling of Ego.

Both.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: ehh I thought the Marvel bias was clear from Age of Ultron. It's damn near undeniable at this point.

Well yeah. I'm not denying the fact Marvel bias has existed for a while, but this is the first time I experienced it firsthand.

Lawz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness

Ultron wasn't the best MCU film but I still thought it was a good movie. Using AoU as proof of MCU bias is just absurd. I think the RT score has the film right where it should be. Not in the same league as the Nolan Batman or top tier MCU films, but certainly a solid outing.

The DCEU NEEDS at least one of this year's films to be at least on the level of AoU. I'm hoping that happens with JL or WW.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

Bwahahahaha!

I just saw this movie, who would've thought the two of us would be here? XD

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bwahahahaha!

I thought I would be here trying to lecture you on the brilliance of the film but... nope.

So what did you think overall? Worst than the first?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@theamazingspidey: Thanks for the non-spoilery-review

Great work!

Your praise means a lot! I try my best to keep my reviews as non-spoiler as possible. Because according to some, I handle spoilers like the immune system handles aids and I can't be a hypocrite! xD

ham12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol at the usual suspects trying to over inflate any negative they could find. The critics clearly state over all it's a good movie.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Thanks for the spoiler free review TAS. I may not agree with everything you say (shame on you for liking Iron Man 3) but I definitely respect your opinion and this write up sounds disappointing for GotG Vol 2. Like legitimately. I enjoyed the first one plenty but the lack of a plot, the Ego-Star-Lord relationship and the dreaded MCU humour is making me worry about the future of the MCU.

ham12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has a 92% RT and I'm sure it won't fall by much. Will end around 85% RT. I know the usual haters are praying for a Marvel fail but let's keep perspective. The critics clearly feel it's a good movie. Perfect? No movie is soooo...

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

Thanks for the spoiler free review TAS. I may not agree with everything you say (shame on you for liking Iron Man 3) but I definitely respect your opinion and this write up sounds disappointing for GotG Vol 2. Like legitimately. I enjoyed the first one plenty but the lack of a plot, the Ego-Star-Lord relationship and the dreaded MCU humour is making me worry about the future of the MCU.

Agreed. Now here's hoping Black Panther and Infinity War will shift the tone.

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cosmic_Templar

Bad villain, overused humor, forced jokes, slow pacing, and plot. Seems like a bad movie to me. Great review by the way dude. Thanks for no spoilers.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bad villain, overused humor, forced jokes, slow pacing, and plot. Seems like a bad movie to me.

Seen it yet?

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MAZAHS117

Oh geez, that's a shame. Still gonna check it out. Still looks like a good time at the theater at least…I hope

Cosmic_Templar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lawz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawz: AOU is not a good movie ?It has good action and no other redeeming qualities.

See to me that sounds like a description of BvS.

ham12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ready_4_madness: there's no bias. Just the same butthurt fanboys fishing for excuses.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Expected, but I think I'll still probably enjoy it. Kind of jealous you guys have already seen it.

ham12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ham12

@ready_4_madness: lol at the DC crew(you) pretending we don't know them.

Literally every person in this thread b*tching so far are the same ones who always b*tch about everything Marvel.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

@black_wreath said:

Bwahahahaha!

I thought I would be here trying to lecture you on the brilliance of the film but... nope.

So what did you think overall? Worst than the first?

That's the kicker, I liked it more than the first and might just put it in my top 5 MCU films at this moment... Against all odds. >.>

There were some moments where I was wishing they'd just let it play out without the humour (the "it's not ripe" pay-off and Kismet's carpet) but the visuals were my favourite of any in the MCU (particularly the Sovereign) and Ego was a better than average MCU villain and the Easter eggs were a nice treat for me.

Drax was again the highlight for me, I like James Gunn's mean-spirited dark humour from Super - I personally find it much funnier than the goofy humour that dominates the MCU.

And yes I liked Gamora more this time, the Gamora/Nebula dynamic is far more interesting than the Gamora/Peter one, I was glad that was focused on.

However, Bradley Cooper did such a good Jason Alexander impression I'm wondering why they didn't just hire Jason Alexander. Surely he would've been a lot cheaper.

ham12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@black_wreath:

That's the kicker, I liked it more than the first and might just put it in my top 5 MCU films at this moment... Against all odds. >.>

Now that's more unexpected than both of us not being overly fond of the movie O.o

but the visuals were my favourite of any in the MCU

Agreed, the visuals were great. Some people (my mother included) complained there was too much colour, but I disagree.

And yes I liked Gamora more this time, the Gamora/Nebula dynamic is far more interesting than the Gamora/Peter one, I was glad that was focused on.

I was actually interested in hearing your opinion about that! I was also surprised to see the romance wasn't a focus and they didn't even kiss.

I like James Gunn's mean-spirited dark humour from Super - I personally find it much funnier than the goofy humour that dominates the MCU.

Definitely saw sprinkles of that humour in Drax's interactions with Mantis!

I'm glad you liked it.

What was your opinion on Mantis?

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it out already?

LannibleHecter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I saw the trailers for this film I was very sceptical. It felt like it was trying too hard. I wasn't wrong...

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt said:

Is it out already?

Depends on where you live.

ham12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ham12

@ready_4_madness: not back pedaling. The thought of arguing with you about how bias you are is just that ridiculous to me. It's not worth it when everyone knows you're super bias.

Haters like you are always trying to convince people there not bias. Because who would believe anything a admittedly bias person says, right. It ruins there hate game. Lol.

Nothing new here, bruh.

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ham12 said:

@ready_4_madness: lol at the DC crew(you) pretending we don't know them.

Literally every person in this thread b*tching so far are the same ones who always b*tch about everything Marvel.

Just like how every thread you go on is you b*tching about everything DCEU. Funny how that works.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@ham12 said:

@ready_4_madness: not back pedaling. The thought of arguing with you about how bias you are is just that ridiculous to me. It's not worth it when everyone knows you're super bias.

Haters like you are always trying to convince people there not bias. Because who believe anything a admittedly bias person says, right. It ruins there hate game. Lol.

Dude... just don't. Go troll someone that doesn't know you're a troll yet.