TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

TAS Reviews: Godzilla vs. Kong

I should preface this review by saying you should take my review with a grain of salt, because this movie is not for me. I'm not the target audience. If you're one of those people who watched the trailers, know what to expect and think it sounds like a great time, you're probably going to love this movie. That wasn't the case for me, because I never liked what this movie was about. From the moment I heard about this movie, I felt that the premise was broken and flawed to the core. I'm all for a good crossover "versus" movie, but there's nothing appealing to me about two mindless monsters who cannot talk fighting one another. I might as well go into my garage, take out two of my old action figures and smash them together while making "BOOM! POW!" sounds with my mouth.

No Caption Provided

Because Kong and Godzilla are two mindless creatures which us as audience members are unable to connect to on a personal level, the filmmakers have no choice but to manufacture a bunch of human characters through which we view the story. Because of how much screen time these human characters occupy, you'd think the filmmakers would ensure these characters are worthy of our care, love and attention, but if you've watched any of the previous movies set in this universe, you won't be surprised to find that the "human" characters are just as lifeless as the creatures. At the end of the day, these characters feel like exactlywhat they are: a tacked on, cheap attempt at humanising a fundamentally inhumane and shallow movie. I can make a movie where two people watch paint dry, but no matter how many big-name actors I can hire, it's still a movie about watching paint dry.

I was hoping that the human portions of the movie would be carried by some solid acting, but I can't even afford that compliment to the movie. Millie Bobby Brown turns in an underwhelming performance - her character marred by an unconvincing American accent, which more often than not sounds British. Julian Dennison, who I enjoyed in Hunt For The Wilderpeople and Deadpool 2, turns in a mediocre performance and struggles to breathe life into a terrible screenplay. Bryan Tyree Henry, who I love as Paperboy in Atlanta, feels woefully out of place and out of his element in this movie. Kyle Chandler, who I love from Game Night and The Spectacular Now barely gets any screen time. I could name more examples, but you get the point. The movie is an exercise in how many talented actors you can simultaneously waste.

No Caption Provided

But to a lot of people, this stuff doesn't matter. Because Godzilla vs. Kong is "an action movie about two monsters fighting each other." So how does the action itself hold up? Well, it's pretty great, and easily the highlight of the movie. Director Adam Wingard does a great job capturing the larger-than-life scale of these action sequence, turning in some visually arresting set-pieces. I also loved the range of colour in the action sequences, and I was pleasantly surprised by the hand-held camera feel of a lot of the set-pieces, which were the most immersive moments of the movie. Whenever the action transitions into that hand-held quality, you feel like you're in the midst of the chaos and craziness of these action sequences. Unfortunately, though the movie serves up some exciting action sequences, they're far from superb, and a lot of that has to do with the repetitive nature of Godzilla and Kong's abilities. There's only so much variety in two giant monsters punching and throwing stuff at each other, the only exception being the fact that Godzilla can shoot lasers from his eyes. For a movie that's main draw is two CGI monsters, I was also disappointed that the quality of the CGI was not amongst the best I've ever seen. It's solid, but I was underwhelmed after seeing the impeccable CGI of Thanos in the Avengers movie, or even the stunning CGI of the apes in Matt Reeves's Apes trilogy. There was a sense of photorealism missing from the CGI in this movie.

Last of all, throughout the entire movie, I couldn't help but think to myself "wow! The score in this movie is a blatant rip off of Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL's work on Man of Steel and Batman v. Superman. When I got home and searched up who composed the movie, I found out it was none other than, you guessed it, Junkie XL (Tom Holkenberg) himself! This is a terrible sign, because the score is a rehash of the work he did with Zimmer on the DCEU movies, and it shows. In terms of the overall plot of the movie, Godzilla vs. Kong follows one of the most predictable trajectories I've seen in a movie. You can outline where the movie is headed before you've even entered the theatre, and it doesn't do enough to distinguish itself in execution. For a lot of people, "the story and human characters don't matter. That's not why I'm watching the movie. I'm watching it to see Godzilla and Kong fight each other!" But in a movie where those action sequences only make up 20% of the runtime, that excuse doesn't quite work. It is a movie about boring human characters doing boring human things, and the exciting action sequences are merely the icing on top.

Conclusion

No Caption Provided

Leaving Godzilla vs. Kong, I tried thinking about something good to say about it to my family who I watched it with. And no matter how hard I tried, the best compliments I could muster were "it was good to be back in the cinema again. The action was good. At least it was better than Kong: Skull Island. And I'm glad it wasn't longer than two hours." When 3 of my 4 praises for this movie are back-handed compliments, that's not a sign you've done something right. Godzilla vs. Kong is exactly the movie you would expect from the trailer, and for a lot of people, that will be a good thing. For me, it was exactly what I expected in the worst way possible: a boring, 95 minute narrative of characters I don't care about, and 25 minutes of good action sequences. I'm okay with never revisiting this franchise again.

Score: 4/10

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

ah nice review, although I don't agree with your rating

hope you're gonna do falcon and TWS once it ends

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ah nice review, although I don't agree with your rating

hope you're gonna do falcon and TWS once it ends

Thank you!

Still haven't decided if I'm gonna review Falcon and TWS or not. Don't know if I'm a big fan of reviewing TV shows. We'll see!

Avatar image for deactivated-60ecdb28037bb
deactivated-60ecdb28037bb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yikes, I feel less excited for it now

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@factg said:

Did you enjoy the previous Monsterverse movies? Why/why not?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:

@factg said:

I didn't like King of Monsters. And I didn't like it, because I'm tired of big monster action movies like Rampage and stuff.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:

@theamazingspidey said:

@factg said:

I didn't like King of Monsters. And I didn't like it, because I'm tired of big monster action movies like Rampage and stuff.

Alright, then you probably won't enjoy this.

Baalhaddad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with everything you said though i'd give it a higher score

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg for the action, its definitely worth seeing. The only monsterverse movie where action is clearly visible and not being obscured by storms or dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder said:

@factg for the action, its definitely worth seeing. The only monsterverse movie where action is clearly visible and not being obscured by storms or dust

Hmm...

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:

@darkthunder said:

Hmm...

Still don't know if I would recommend this to someone who is tired of monster action movies. The action is good, but 80% of the movie isn't that action. It's just boring human characters.

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@factg said:

@darkthunder said:

Hmm...

Still don't know if I would recommend this to someone who is tired of monster action movies. The action is good, but 80% of the movie isn't that action. It's just boring human characters.

ah you have a point.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey said:
@factg said:

@darkthunder said:

Hmm...

ah you have a point.

:P

CristhianM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is true that Kong got stomped?

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cristhianm: No spoilers in this thread so I can’t answer that

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
finalkingthanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you like Godzilla/Kong or monster action flicks you'll love it that was always gonna be the case

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is true that Kong got stomped?

kind of

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie was good but it was clearly just about the fight. If you’re wanting questions to get answered about the overarching monsterverse narrative or perhaps the history of the Titans, you will be disappointed

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@finalkingthanos: Pretty much. Even though I don’t get how that logic works when there’s literally only 20 minutes of action lol

Avatar image for finalkingthanos
finalkingthanos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: 2hrs of action would probably go the opposite way as well though, people who tend to get into being a critic rarely learn to relax and enjoy life though haha just kidden.... or am I

Odimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it’s pretty trash tbh. And I went into this one expecting a popcorn flick and still was disappointed. The plot is basically pointless, and for a movie sold on the premise of a monster action fight movie, there was surprisingly little actual combat. Pretty underwhelming overall.

CristhianM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: Sad, I wanted to see the movie for Kong but now i don't want anymore

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Darkthunder

@cristhianm said:

@darkthunder: Sad, I wanted to see the movie for Kong but now i don't want anymore

yeah I figured that those fights were gonna trigger a lot of people, especially since zilla won mid diff

should've shown him winning but very injured

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@darkthunder: @cristhianm i’m gonna need you guys to spoiler block your comments please. I want my reviews to be a safe space for people who haven’t seen the movies

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: @cristhianm i’m gonna need you guys to spoiler block your comments please. I want my reviews to be a safe space for people who haven’t seen the movies

alright sorry

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@odimm said:

Yeah, it’s pretty trash tbh. And I went into this one expecting a popcorn flick and still was disappointed. The plot is basically pointless, and for a movie sold on the premise of a monster action fight movie, there was surprisingly little actual combat. Pretty underwhelming overall.

That's the case with all these monster movies. The appeal is supposed to be the monsters fighting but there's barely any of it

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkthunder: no worries, but the spoiler is still appearing from the comment you quoted

Darkthunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TobeyMaguire84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TobeyMaguire84

@theamazingspidey: Completely agree with your Review. Maybe you should check out 1962 japanese version

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theamazingspidey: Completely agree with your Review. Maybe you should check out 1962 japanese version

I don't know about that, dude. I think I'm ready to leave this franchise behind lol

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

I went in wanting to see big monke fight big lizard and got that, so I was pretty happy with the film. I can't really argue your points because objectively they're right. But subjectively, it was right up my alley.

What I can say I didn't like was the Millie Bobby Brown story arc. Talk about useless human, they literally were there for no other reason than they wanted that actress back. She had nothing to do.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By Thor-Parker

@the_stegman said:

I went in wanting to see big monke fight big lizard and got that, so I was pretty happy with the film. I can't really argue your points because objectively they're right. But subjectively, it was right up my alley.

What I can say I didn't like was the Millie Bobby Brown story arc. Talk about useless human, they literally were there for no other reason than they wanted that actress back. She had nothing to do.

This is EXACTLY my opinion.

I went for the big monster action and left incredibly satisfied, I was especially pleased with the way Kong was handled as the protagonist and how they tried to humanize him.

Also, just like Stegman, Millie Bobby Brown's arc was atrocious and a pain to watch, movie would have been 100x better with all her scenes cut off. I also don't understand the craze about her, she is good in Stranger Things because she barely talks, but I find the actress annoying as hell and not that good of an actress when she has to talk.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman said:

I went for the big monster action and left incredibly satisfied, I was especially pleased with the way Kong was handled as the protagonist and how they tried to humanize him.

Also, just like Stegman, Millie Bobby Brown's arc was atrocious and a pain to watch, movie would have been 100x better with all her scenes cut off. I also don't understand the craze about her, she is good in Stranger Things because she barely talks, but I find the actress annoying as hell and not that good of an actress when she has to talk.

Good to see you again, my man!

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.

I haven't seen Stranger Things so I can't comment on her acting there, but she was terrible in this movie.

terry2012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I agree with some of your points. The human characters were boring except for the little girl because she didn't have much to do and the daughter (forgot her name) of the villain. Rin was completely useless. He had no character backstory or development. The movie was very fast pace.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with some of your points. The human characters were boring except for the little girl because she didn't have much to do and the daughter (forgot her name) of the villain. Rin was completely useless. He had no character backstory or development. The movie was very fast pace.

The little girl who communicates with Kong was the best character and that isn't saying much

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 cocacolaman  Moderator

Ridiculous. The bad clearly outweighed the good, and I didn't even expect this movie to have a good plot. The climax was absolutely trash, the most stereotypical "I mess up everything" character suddenly, quite literally out of his ass pulls an idea that does more damage to Mecha-Godzilla than a combo of Godzilla and Kong, who only teamed up because a girl taught Kong sign language or something. Then they go into comedy with the podcast guy talking about a podcast instead of the fights that had just happened.

Quite honestly, I like these movies. They help me realize that if I think I'm doing bad writing my novels and creating my stories, stuff like the Wonder Woman sequel and this movie is getting put out in theaters and getting big bucks. I'm motivated because I know that my failures would still be better than these successes.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ridiculous. The bad clearly outweighed the good, and I didn't even expect this movie to have a good plot. The climax was absolutely trash, the most stereotypical "I mess up everything" character suddenly, quite literally out of his ass pulls an idea that does more damage to Mecha-Godzilla than a combo of Godzilla and Kong, who only teamed up because a girl taught Kong sign language or something. Then they go into comedy with the podcast guy talking about a podcast instead of the fights that had just happened.

Quite honestly, I like these movies. They help me realize that if I think I'm doing bad writing my novels and creating my stories, stuff like the Wonder Woman sequel and this movie is getting put out in theaters and getting big bucks. I'm motivated because I know that my failures would still be better than these successes.

Lmao I love this comment

cocacolaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 cocacolaman  Moderator

@cocacolaman said:

Lmao I love this comment

Your review was literally better writing than everything but the Hong Kong battle

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cocacolaman: thank you lmao. Hong Kong battle was honestly the best part of the movie.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@thor-parker said:
@the_stegman said:

Good to see you again, my man!

I'm glad you enjoyed the movie.

I haven't seen Stranger Things so I can't comment on her acting there, but she was terrible in this movie.

Good to se you as well my friend, it's been a long time.

Thanks, I do agree with your criticism and you are objectively right, but I think the vast majority of the people didn't expect a groundbreaking story or excellent human characters, they just wanted huge epic battles between giant monsters, and on that front it delivered better than any other monster movie.

You should see Stranger Things, it's pretty good, you'll especially love it if you're a fan of 80s horror. As for Millie Bobby Brown, she is terrible in anything not named Stranger Things.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 takenstew22  Moderator

I came for monster action and was left satisfied.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor-parker: the problem with the whole "I came for the monster action so I left satisfied" argument for me is that the action only makes up 20% of the runtime.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 takenstew22  Moderator

@thor-parker: the problem with the whole "I came for the monster action so I left satisfied" argument for me is that the action only makes up 20% of the runtime.

I can get through the human characters if they're passable. For me they were.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheAmazingSpidey

@takenstew22 said:
@theamazingspidey said:

I can get through the human characters if they're passable. For me they were.

Glad you enjoyed it! I wish I felt the same

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By Magian

While I don't agree with your rating, I see your points and I don't think they are wrong actually if you look at it more objectively. But I think the movie delivered on what I wanted to see, so on that front I'm good with it.

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magian said:

While I don't agree with your rating, I see your points and I don't think they are wrong actually if you look at it more objectively. But I think the movie delivered on what I wanted to see, so on that front I'm good with it.

Glad you liked it!

And that's always the primary objective of my reviews: not to "change" people's opinions, but to help even those who disagree with me understand where I'm coming from. That's the highest praise I can receive as a reviewer, so thank you :)

TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed the movie. The goal whenever I'm writing a review is not to "change" people's opinions or convince them that they're "wrong", but to help even those who have a different viewpoint understand where I'm coming from. That's the most meaningful compliment I can receive as a reviewer, so I really appreciate this comment :)