Seriously, do Bendis and Johns have to write so many books?!

• 112 results
Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Wattup

It seems like every few weeks there's a new announcement about one of these two writing a new comic. Come to think of it, there really is like ten writers in both companies who write everything.

How about some new blood, eh?

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By TheCrowbar

Johns actually redeemed himself to me with Aquaman 1. I don't mind letting continue writing so much. Bendis needs...ummm a "creative" break.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By ReVamp

What's everyone's problem with Johns? Didn't he do a good job with GL? What else has he done...?

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wattup

I will never respect Johns because he called for the return of Barry Allen, which invariably has now erased Wally West from comics.

And Hal Jordan sucks, too.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#5  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Johns has talent, he just misuses it sometimes. Bendis on the other hand needs to die slowly.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By joshmightbe

@ReVamp: He tossed Wally into comic limbo

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ReVamp

@joshmightbe said:

That's actually a petty good reason. But it makes sense for what DC wants to do. Doesn't mean I like it, but I understand it.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By joshmightbe

@ReVamp: I didn't say I didn't understand it but that doesn't make me any less pissed about it

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ReVamp

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: I didn't say I didn't understand it but that doesn't make me any less pissed about it

True dat

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp said:

@joshmightbe said:

That's actually a petty good reason. But it makes sense for what DC wants to do. Doesn't mean I like it, but I understand it.

On top of that, he has erased and retconned a LOT of history in order to basically bring back the Silver age. Hence the term Geoffcon.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ReVamp

@The Dark Huntress said:

@ReVamp said:

@joshmightbe said:

On top of that, he has erased and retconned a LOT of history in order to basically bring back the Silver age. Hence the term Geoffcon.

So wait... You're puuting the DC Reboot on him?

OK, whatever floats your boat I guess :P

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By TheOptimist

I'm a fan of Geoff, admittedly... but the term 'so many' books... Geoff is writing three right now. The same as a host of other writers.

And they put out as many of his books as possible because there are fans that enjoy them and they typically have sold well.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Mercy_

@ReVamp said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@ReVamp said:

@joshmightbe said:

No, I'm talking before the reboot even started, he was doing this.

More about it here.

And for what it's worth, I actually like Johns. The only thing he's done that seriously rubs me the wrong way is Barry.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By joshmightbe

@ReVamp: I do admit Johns is a good writer though, unlike Bendis who is a worthless hack that got lucky

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ReVamp

@joshmightbe said:

@ReVamp: I do admit Johns is a good writer though, unlike Bendis who is a worthless hack that got lucky

Bendis has great dialogue.

That wasn't a good thing.

@The Dark Huntress said:

@ReVamp said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@ReVamp said:

@joshmightbe said:

No, I'm talking before the reboot even started, he was doing this.

More about it here.

And for what it's worth, I actually like Johns. The only thing he's done that seriously rubs me the wrong way is Barry.

Read the blog. It was well written, though I know it wasn't yours.

I don't see much of a problem, I acutally kinda dig the whole old school vibe. If I were to be honest though, I really think that bringing Barry back was good, its just that it sucked for Wally to have to go missing. I still am hoping for my Outsiders team with Wally, PG, Donna and obviously, Dick. :P

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By joshmightbe

@ReVamp: Great dialog in a sh*tty story doesn't help much

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ReVamp

@joshmightbe said:

Thus why i said it wasn't a good thing.

Wattup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wattup

This is my thing regarding Barry Allen: what did it accomplish, really? Did The Flash comics improved with the character's return? Not really. Was Flashpoint an amazing Barry Allen arc? No. Is DC a better place with Barry Allen? No.

Anything Barry Allen has done since his return could have been done by Wally West the character. Wally, in my opinion, surpassed Barry as a character. An entire generation grew up with Wally West as The Flash. He was even The Flash in the JLU cartoon!

And Bendis isn't so bad when he's in his element. Alias was fantastic as was Ultimate Spider-Man but his writing in the mainstream Marvel universe just muddles things up. His Avengers characters just seem to banter for entire issues and then by the last page, they start superhero-ing.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By danhimself

I really don't care who's the Flash...I never read the book until Bart became Flash and that was terrible and then Barry came back....if I were to blame Wally's absence on anyone then it would be Dan Didio...everything that Geoff Johns does has to go through him and there's absolutely no reason that Wally couldn't have been handed off to another writer

I also don't see any of Johns' GL run as a retcon...he made the GL books interesting again and explained why someone like Barry would just out of the blue go crazy...the whole Parallax thing never made any sense anyway....everyone was just so quick to assume that Barry went nuts without ever trying to do anything to help him....he didn't get rid of anything...just added to the story and good writers should be able to work with what writers before them have done without messing it up and that's what Johns did

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Marvel needs more Dan Slott.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By danhimself

@Vance Astro said:

THIS!

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@danhimself said:

I really don't care who's the Flash...I never read the book until Bart became Flash and that was terrible and then Barry came back....if I were to blame Wally's absence on anyone then it would be Dan Didio...everything that Geoff Johns does has to go through him and there's absolutely no reason that Wally couldn't have been handed off to another writer

I also don't see any of Johns' GL run as a retcon...he made the GL books interesting again and explained why someone like Barry would just out of the blue go crazy...the whole Parallax thing never made any sense anyway....everyone was just so quick to assume that Barry went nuts without ever trying to do anything to help him....he didn't get rid of anything...just added to the story and good writers should be able to work with what writers before them have done without messing it up and that's what Johns did

you mean Hal and i completely agree with all the GL related stuff.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@Vance Astro said:
And PAD.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mercy_

@Morpheus_ said:

@Vance Astro said:
And PAD.

And Whedon.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By danhimself

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

@danhimself said:

you mean Hal and i completely agree with all the GL related stuff.

yeah....my head isn't working right today lol

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#26  Edited By MatKrenz

Well Johns is writing only 3 books now, and Scott Snyder is writing 4 titles at the moment, 3 ongoings and a mini-series and he just finished another mini-series last week he has more on his plate than Johns. Besides the thing with Johns is that he is a good storyteller, take away any problems you have with some of his characterizations he can come up with interesting story's. My problem with Johns is that he isn't writing storys with characters I care about, I want him to write Justice Society of America again because he pays homage to the previous generation of heroes very well there or I want him to write Flash with Wally as the Flash, the reason is because I know more about Wally from the JL cartoon that I watched when I was a kid, I find Barry kinda boring and I love The Rogues. So really it all comes down to preference.

As for Bendis, well the only thing Im reading from him is Moon Knight and my biggest problem with that is how slow it is but as im trying to understand that. But I really want to read Powers since I like cop and murder & mystery storys. Honestly this whole hate on Bendis just means you don't like his writing and you should avoid him. Yes I understand he's like writing 7 books right now but it's not like Marvel doesn't have other comics to read.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#27  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Johns is only writing 3 books, its not that many tbh

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By _Zombie_

Johns is actually good, so him I can tolerate(plus, he's writing 3 books people, that's not exactly a lot). Bendis just.. needs to fall in a hole and never climb out. Heck, throw Quesada in with him.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@Vance Astro said:
And PAD.

And Whedon.

Has Whedon done anything for Marvel post AXM, though? I was thinking of creators that are still active within the company.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mercy_

@Morpheus_ said:

@The Dark Huntress said:

@Morpheus_ said:

@Vance Astro said:
And PAD.

And Whedon.

Has Whedon done anything for Marvel post AXM, though? I was thinking of creators that are still active within the company.

<__< no, but that doesn't make me fangirl any less.

Sticking on the still active (at least semi) note, I'd say Kyle/Yost.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
@The Dark Huntress: Yost will be writing the new Scarlet Spider book. No idea what Kyle is up to these days.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Mercy_

@Morpheus_: I may need to pick that up...

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ssejllenrad

@ZombieBigfoot said:

Johns is actually good, so him I can tolerate(plus, he's writing 3 books people, that's not exactly a lot). Bendis just.. needs to fall in a hole and never climb out. Heck, throw Quesada in with him.

This!

fury714

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By fury714

@Vance Astro said:

this.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#35  Edited By Deadcool

Bendis should stop writing Superhero teams and events, he can stay with the New Avenger, but he needs to leave the rest of them, he is good with Street Level characters...

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Deadcool

@Morpheus_ said:

@Vance Astro said:
And PAD.

Marvel needs more Warren Ellis, Hickman, Peter Milligan, Rick Remender, Brian K.Waughan, Kieron Guillen, Robert Rodi and Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (I am pretty sure that you don't know who Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa is), seriously the best stories that I have read are about these writers and they rarely write something, that is depressing... TT_TT

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Amegashita

the real problem is Dan Didiot. He's the bane of all evil if you ask me.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Amegashita said:

the real problem is Dan Didiot. He's the bane of all evil if you ask me.

wouldn't that make him good?

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#39  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

Johns has talent, he just misuses it sometimes. Bendis on the other hand needs to die slowly.

Agreed. 

Most of the books Johns writes are good, Justice League and GL have been great so far from what I've read and heard.

Bendis on the other hand  wish would just stick with Ultimate Spider-Man and let some new writer have their shot at the Avengers. I won't lie, I'm currently reading Ultimate Spider-Man and loving what he's doing with the new Spidey and are enjoying the writing, but his Avengers (before I dropped the series around issue eight) was just horrible and the fact that Marvel is letting him write BOTH Avengers and New Avengers is absurd, there's no reason for him writing both titles. It would make more sense to give him New Avengers (since he seems to understand the team and characters better, in my opinion) but really should let someone like Dan Slott or a newer writer to Marvel with fresh ideas take over the Avengers.
InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#40  Edited By InnerVenom123

@War Killer: Don't forget his other Avengers title, Avenger-Knight. Or.... um.... huh. I think he used to have another name and a far more interesting personality.

Sobs while slamming head into wall violently.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Morpheus_ said:

@The Dark Huntress: Yost will be writing the new Scarlet Spider book. No idea what Kyle is up to these days.

I can't freaking wait for that.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#42  Edited By TheBlueAngel93
@InnerVenom123: At least Moon Knight's still alive... <_< *...Thinks back to Fear Itself #3...* -__-

But to be honest I think Bendis is a good writer, but is thinning himself out to much. He really should just stick to USM and stay there since that's where he seems to be shining, everything else he should let a new writer take over and let some fresh ideas into the Marvel Universe that DOESN'T involve an event every six months.... =/
Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

Johns is only writing 3 books and they are taking their merry good time to put out JL. The better question is why are guys like Scott Lobdell, Adam Glass and Tony Daniel aloud near a pen and paper.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By InnerVenom123

@War Killer: >_> Moon Knight? Oh, that guy was a total badass. Too bad he died sometime during Shadowland. ... <____< I don't know what you're talking about. He's totally dead.

True. I was surprised by how good USM was compared to his other stuff.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Deadcool

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

No he doesn`t, he writes heroic characters and I like him...
@ReVamp
said:

@joshmightbe said:

... I like Bendis... ;_;

@InnerVenom123 said:

@War Killer: >_> Moon Knight? Oh, that guy was a total badass. Too bad he died sometime during Shadowland. ... <____< I don't know what you're talking about. He's totally dead.

His Daredevil is awesome too, and Powers is also awesoem stuff, actually most of the things that he writes outside his teams seem to be decent or good, sometimes awesome, I like his stuff, and I have never read something that bad with him as writer, Siege was actually decent, unlike Loeb's Ultimatum, I can't see why the people hate him THAT MUCH, some want to kill him..

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By InnerVenom123

@Deadcool: I was referring to the things at Marvel he is writing right now. So his Daredevil (already long gone, and now DD has the amazing Mark Waid writing), and Powers (that's his own thing) don't count. His teams are pretty bad. He ignores continuity. He writes everyone with the same dialogue. There's just a huge list of things wrong.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Amegashita

@Avenging-X-Bolt: Hmm, wrong turn of phrase. How bout this then, he's the origin of all evil. At least within DC comics that is.

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Deadcool

@InnerVenom123 said:

I was referring to the things at Marvel he is writing right now. So his Daredevil (already long gone, and now DD has the amazing Mark Waid writing), and Powers (that's his own thing) don't count.

Oh well...

1. His teams are pretty bad.
  2. He ignores continuity.
  3. He writes everyone with the same dialogue.
  4. There's just a huge list of things wrong.
  1. Oh yeahn he needs to stop writting teams ( he can keept the New avengers, Bendis is pretty good with street level stuff)...
  2. I have never cared about continuity (I think that I was the only one that was with G-man in this article), I just enjoy the issue by itself, I skip issues, I just buy the issues that I really want to have without caring what happened the issue before that...
  3. I actually find them funny, but it seems that is just a personal taste...
  4. Yeah, but there is a lot of them are perfect, his street level characters, his dialogues/narration in serious tittles, and people in CV uses scans about his comicbooks all the time, he is not perfect, but he is not bad...
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@Deadcool said:

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

No he doesn`t, he writes heroic characters and I like him...

of course he writes heroic character, theyre *dramatic pause......... SUPERHEROES!!!!!!!!!! Making them heroic is the bare minimum and Bendis barely does that. I resect the fact that you like him but the fact of the matter is he is still doing terrible work right now.

@ReVamp said:

@joshmightbe said:

... I like Bendis... ;_;

@InnerVenom123 said:

His Daredevil is awesome too, and Powers is also awesoem stuff, actually most of the things that he writes outside his teams seem to be decent or good, sometimes awesome, I like his stuff, and I have never read something that bad with him as writer, Siege was actually decent, unlike Loeb's Ultimatum, I can't see why the people hate him THAT MUCH, some want to kill him..

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@InnerVenom123 said:

@Deadcool: I was referring to the things at Marvel he is writing right now. So his Daredevil (already long gone, and now DD has the amazing Mark Waid writing), and Powers (that's his own thing) don't count. His teams are pretty bad. He ignores continuity. He writes everyone with the same dialogue. There's just a huge list of things wrong.

Not to mention he brings characters on the team claiming to have interest in them and does f#ck all with them.Luke Cage hasn't done anything I respected since he kicked Elektra in the vagina.