Is the Hulk lifting Thors hammer the ultimate strength feat?

• 52 results
cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By cfrehse

The hulk has lifted thors hammer even though he is not worthy? Its supposed to be impossible unless you are worthy so what does that mean?

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

That means bad writing.

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's done it on more than one occasion so I don't get why people don't take it

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cfrehse: It's going to be explained in the next issue

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Scans O.o???????

cfrehse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cfrehse

@dondave: ya i figured. something weird is going on. Plus thor didnt recognize him

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That means bad writing.

It's B.S writing simple and plain and a disrespect to the creators and those who have written Thor in the past. The character was put in the marvel universe as a answer to the Hulk to begin with. Walt S. has done this in purely bad taste. All the rules concearning Thor have been utterly violated. If Superman couldn't, and I'm not saying he's stronger than the Hulk why in heaven and earth should the Hulk even if science is involved.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@ultrastarkiller said:

That means bad writing.

It's B.S writing simple and plain and a disrespect to the creators and those who have written Thor in the past. The character was put in the marvel universe as a answer to the Hulk to begin with. Walt S. has done this in purely bad taste. All the rules concearning Thor have been utterly violated. If Superman couldn't, and I'm not saying he's stronger than the Hulk why in heaven and earth should the Hulk even if science is involved.

Mark Waid is the writer not Walter Simonson

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

Hulk says he's worthy

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@cfrehse: They probably traveled back in time or to an alternate reality

@thecheesestabber:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

You cleary showed typical reasons why the Hulk seemingly lifted Mjolnir, thank you, I love support for one of my favorite characters, whether it was done out of support or naught/spite!

@evilvegeta74 said:

@ultrastarkiller said:

That means bad writing.

Mark Waid is the writer not Walter Simonson

I stand corrected, it's still ultimately bad writing. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@evilvegeta74: IIRC Captain America lifted his hammer during Fear Itself

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave said:

@evilvegeta74: IIRC Captain America lifted his hammer during Fear Itself

He was truly worthy!

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deaditegonzo

1) All the examples posted of "Hulk lifting Mjolnir in the past" are not good examples of him just brute force lifting it. All of them apply to built in loopholes that have always existed (in space, no weight; it can be moved while Thor is holding it, etc).

2) That last scan clearly shows Hulk saying he is worthy. He is probably worthy in this story. Whats the big deal.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) All the examples posted of "Hulk lifting Mjolnir in the past" are not good examples of him just brute force lifting it. All of them apply to built in loopholes that have always existed (in space, no weight; it can be moved while Thor is holding it, etc).

2) That last scan clearly shows Hulk saying he is worthy. He is probably worthy in this story. Whats the big deal.

I remember the loopholes you mentioned and I seem to remember one other (it may have only been in JLA/Avengers) where someone could lift it for a short time and then it was unliftable again. (all my comics are boxed up and I can't research)

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muhabba said:
@deaditegonzo said:

I remember the loopholes you mentioned and I seem to remember one other (it may have only been in JLA/Avengers) where someone could lift it for a short time and then it was unliftable again. (all my comics are boxed up and I can't research)

No Caption Provided

Yes, Supes lifted it in JLA/Avengers because it was necessary. It was a time of great peril, and he was deemed worthy, to face that threat. At the end, it is unliftable again, and Thor is like, "Its cool, consider it an honour that you were worthy even for a moment" (paraphrased). It lead to Supes holding Mjolnir AND Caps shield, stupid yes, but a fanboy dream lol.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's not about physical strength, it's about worthiness...

Cap lifted Mjolnir...so is Cap stronger than Hulk? No, it's ridiculous to think so.

To me, one can be deemed worthy for a time. A time that can expire, but during that time said character becomes worthy...however, they can lose their worthiness...that's how I always saw it.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muhabba said:
@deaditegonzo said:

No Caption Provided

Yes, Supes lifted it in JLA/Avengers because it was necessary. It was a time of great peril, and he was deemed worthy, to face that threat. At the end, it is unliftable again, and Thor is like, "Its cool, consider it an honour that you were worthy even for a moment" (paraphrased). It lead to Supes holding Mjolnir AND Caps shield, stupid yes, but a fanboy dream lol.

That's the one I was thinking of. Did the momentary rule suspension ever happen in a regular series?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#19 JediXMan  Moderator

It has nothing to do with physical strength. Either it's because Hulk is worthy or it's bad writing.

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muhabba: Actually, and more serious Hulk or Thor fans could probably confirm or deny, I think Hulk himself was allowed to lift it temporarily before this. But I cant think of any other instance.

Avatar image for andy_steven_summers
Andy Steven Summers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PIS

TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MSzekeresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By MSzekeresh

I like the idea of Hulk being so strong that his pure physical strength overcomes Odin's magic. Also I like it when other characters become worthy of holding Thor's hammer. Was sad when Ben Grimm was found unworthy.

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By BlackReaper
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackreaper: You know with the economy the way it is I think Odins letting anyone be worth for a little bit.

For a small fee of course....

You Can be worthy Too!

Just send $1000000000000000.93 To:

Odin AllFather

P.O Box Infinity Symbol Q

16 Odin Beard Road

Asgard Vermont.

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By Jorgevy

lol nope, that's bad writing

except for this last event, if Hulk is saying he is worthy, then maybe he is momentarily?

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Nightwing4

Well generally it means bad writing, but the in-universe answer is Hulk became strong enough to overcome Odin's enchantments. Which is pretty strong. So yeah it is a strength feat so long as he lifted it while still considered unworthy.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@cfrehse said:

The hulk has lifted thors hammer even though he is not worthy? Its supposed to be impossible unless you are worthy so what does that mean?

this should be canon

No Caption Provided

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: Wow. That is epic. (haha, that it should)

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deaditegonzo: He is worthy because in this series Banner has finally aceepted that in order to be a hero he has to accept the Hulk as a force for good.

Avatar image for bluelantern1995
BlueLantern1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 26

#31  Edited By BlueLantern1995

@muhabba said:
@deaditegonzo said:

No Caption Provided

This.

Avatar image for imnemothegemini
ImNemotheGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if banner and his team truly did get sent back in time.. Was it before Odin put the "unliftable" enchantment on Thor's hammer !

Avatar image for imnemothegemini
ImNemotheGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I surely hope not !!

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk lifting Thor's hammer makes perfect sense for the direction they're taking the character in right now. Before everyone gets up in arms, you should consider that Bruce Banner/The Hulk is probably in the most constructive, positive place he's ever been right now. As Banner he's working with SHIELD, making miracles for them, saving the world. As The Hulk he's not just going on mindless rampages throughout downtown Manhattan anymore. He's thinking smart, developing an armor for Banner's frail figure when Hulk recedes into the background, and he's less self-involved than he was before. It's no longer, "I'm Bruce Banner and this horrible thing happened to me and it's never gonna get better ever and I'm just gonna brood and sulk about it." Now it's "I'm Bruce Banner, this horrible thing happened to me once and now I'm getting over it and getting on with my life as it is now."

It's a very positive change and one that I could see swaying Mjolnir's enchantment in his favor.

Asthma2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hulk can lift Thor's Hammer because he's THAT STRONG. Mjolnir weighs as much as a small star, and the enchantment makes it essentially weightless to the worthy. Hulk doesn't need the enchantment because Hulk can apparently lift the weight of at least 1 million Earths. Anyway for all those concerned with the rules of Thor being broken, Thor broke the laws of physics. Mjolnir being present anywhere near our solar system would throw everything out of orbit.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asthma2: No he cannot lift it because of his strength.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kyrees

@asthma2: by that logic, captain america is strong because he can lift it. nobody has lifted mjolnir by sheer strength and all the instances of mjolnir being lift by unworthy ones are built around the loopholes to it or worse, PIS.

Asthma2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So maybe im wrong about why Hulk can lift it. Regardless, there is no reason why another person couldn't lift Thor's hammer. The enchantment does not name Thor as the only wielder, in fact, going by the enchantment ver batim, anyone should be able to pick it up. "whosoever holdeth this hammer, if they be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor." so, going by that, could lift it, I just wouldn't possess the power of Thor unless I was worthy. The rules of Thor have been broken from day one.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asthma2: mjolnir has been lifted by anyone it deems worthy. majority of it is thor odinson

http://marvel.wikia.com/Category:Worthy_of_Mjolnir

the rules of mjolnir have never been broken at all.

DarkseidFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is boring lol . He needs Mjolnir to become powerful

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mjolnir cannot be lifted with strength alone, due to Odin's magic, and the Hulk is not worthy. It's as simple as that. The Hulk has weak self-control; the biggest difference between him and a tantrum-prone child is brute stength.

Avatar image for infinitemasspunch
InfiniteMassPunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think its pis. In reality its not a strength feat and if the hammer is ever portrayed being lifted as such then its simply bad writing. That is unless the character is above odin, which in hulks case is a no.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By amazing_webhead

Yes. Hulk is strongest one there is.

As much as I hated this movie, this was a pretty cool scene
As much as I hated this movie, this was a pretty cool scene

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

it should be a worthiness feat so a strength feat

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

If Hulk say Hulk worthy, Hulk worthy.

80rage80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be honest I found it confusing too but I think it is a way of portraying hulls true strength by saying he doesn't need to be worthy he just needs to be strong stupid idea but that is a way of putting it

Avatar image for deactivated-64cb1ea5c275c
deactivated-64cb1ea5c275c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This one literally says the enchantment was removed.

No Caption Provided

Thor was holding onto in, this is one of those loopholes in the enchantment - its' also from Counter-Earth.

No Caption Provided

Again, Thor was holding onto it.

No Caption Provided

It was in space, by that logic, Iron Man can lift the hammer - also this is not the Hulk.

This one is just the cover for the third image, and in the actual comic, he never lifts the hammer without Thor also holding onto it.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This one is from The Incredible Hulk #227, but its a dream sequence that Doc Samson put him in.

No Caption Provided

Thor is holding onto it.

Out of context scans FTW!

huthimamwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hulk has never legitimately lifted Mjolnir. Every time he's "moved" it, Thor was holding onto it or the enchantment was removed.

Green_Tea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh, the posts of certain users from the time that this thread was made makes me shake my head.