Nightwing: Rusted From the Rain #2: A Boy Wonder and His Dog

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

Edited By cbishop

RANKED 1st BY VOTERS IN STORIES BASED ON SONGS #5!

DateNightwing: Rusted From the Rain #2ViewRead the...
01/22/17A Boy Wonder and His Dog(Blog) (Forum)Disclaimer
RatingRating explanationLast Issue:
EAppropriate for everyone.Formerly Known as Robotman
We thought about transferring him...
We thought about transferring him...

"We thought about transferring him to my Robotman body, but it was decided that the organics of my brain may have contaminated the connections too badly. Mixing the two might cause catastrophic infection in his brain. He decided to remain in Robbie," said Crane.

Dick looked at the dog with wide eyes. "So, he's just...a dog now?"

"Well, robot dog, obviously." Crane looked pensive for a moment, then said, "There's one more thing."

Dick looked at him incredulously. "I don't know if I can take another surprise today, and for me, that's saying something."

Robert Crane smiled. "Even when he was just a robot dog, Robbie could talk. He has a voice synthesizer."

Dick was dumbfounded, and did a doubletake between Crane and the dog.

"Say hello to your uncle," Crane said softly.

Holding the dog out at arm’s length, Dick looked at the face of the robot dog for long moments before he finally managed a very weak, "Uncle...Chuck?"

The dog's eyes lit up, the mouth opened, and a distinctly human voice said, "Hiya, kid."

"Holy crud!" exclaimed Dick to Crane. "It sounds just like him!" Looking at the dog, he said, "It sounds just like you!"

The dog laughed a human laugh, which Dick found a tad unnerving, and said, "Hey, I was very good at this stuff." One robotic eye clicked shut and open again, winking at Dick.

"Oh, wow," was all Dick could say.

"I think you can set me down on the coffee table now," said the dog.

"Oh! OH! Right! Here you go. Sorry," fumbled Dick. "So...what's all this about then?" he asked.

Robert and Chuck were both silent for a few moments, but Crane finally said, "I'm dying."

Dick was stunned. "Um, wow... four surprises for the day."

"It's the degenerative disease," Crane said with resignation. "It came back with a vengeance, and even if the diseased blood of the body hadn't coursed all through my brain, I can't transfer back to the robot body. The organic material that might be left behind has decomposed, and poses just as much infection risk to me as it does to your uncle. So I'm approaching the end of a very long life," he said simply.

"I'm sorry," said Dick.

"Nah. Don't be. I've got a year or so left, and my affairs are in order," he said, interlocking his fingers and resting his hands over his stomach. "With the exception of him," he said, nodding at Chuck.

Dick looked at the robot dog a little blankly, leaning forward with his elbows on his knees, and resting his chin in his thumbs, mouth hidden behind his hands.

"I was hoping I could stay with you," said Chuck.

Dick said nothing, clearly overcome with this fifth surprise.

"I don't have to be walked," Chuck joked. "Just oiled and augmented with a protein formula every so often...for my brain," he clarified. After a few more moments of silence, he said, "I can probably tell you some stories about your dad that you haven't heard before."

My only living family is Johnathan Crane--
My only living family is Johnathan Crane--

Dick couldn't hide his interest in that. He looked up at Crane, who was watching quietly, but expectantly. "Yeah. Yeah, it's no problem. What about you though, Doctor Crane?"

He smiled and said, "I can walk myself." Both men laughed. The mechanical dog shook its head. "I'm going to do some travelling, but the Chief will be handling my medical care until the end. Also...Charles and I have done some talking...about after my death. If it's alright with you, as this is his body, I'd like to be buried with your family. My only living family is Johnathan Crane--"

"The Scarecrow?!" Dick blurted.

"Yes, and I don't want to take the chance that he might make use of any of my discoveries, or make any connections to your family, because of Charles' body. You'll inherit whatever estate I have left, and the Chief has my technology in safe keeping. Is this acceptable?" he asked.

Looking at the dog whose eyes clicked shut and open in a blink, and then back to Crane, Dick said, "Yes, I think that's probably best."

Crane again seemed relieved. Standing, he said, "Well, I think I've given you enough shocks and surprises for today. I'll take my leave." Reaching out to shake Dick's hand, he said, "It's been good meeting you, Mister Grayson."

Shaking Crane's hand, he said, "Please call me Dick, Doctor Crane. The pleasure was mine. Thank you for coming," he said sincerely.

"Robert then," Crane said agreeably. Looking down at the mechanical dog and smiling warmly, he said, "Goodbye, Charles. Thank you for everything, old friend."

The dog's head tilted slightly, the mouth opened, and Chuck's voice said, "Goodbye, Robert. Thank you for getting me this far. I wish you well."

Looking back to Grayson, Crane said, "Goodbye, Dick."

"Goodbye, Robert. Thank you again."

"You're quite welcome, young man. Thank you for being so understanding. Good evening now," and stepping to the stoop, he opened his umbrella, and walked out into the rainy night.

My turn for surprises.
My turn for surprises.

Dick watched him go for a few seconds, then closed the door behind him and locked it. Going back to the couch, he sat and looked at the robot dog for a long minute.

Finally, Chuck said, "Well, looks like we're going to be roomies, huh?"

Dick sighed, and said, "Yeah, and there's some things you need to know. My turn for surprises."

Please let me know what you think, and thanks! -cbOriginally Presented In: SBS #5.

Story, original characters and content are owned by Chris Bishop. Copyright Chris Bishop 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022.

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By cbishop
DC Comics characters used in this fic:
Characters:
Picture Credits:
PictureCredit
  • "We thought about transferring him..."
  • "My only living family is Johnathan Crane--"
  • "My turn for surprises."

All pics were found on the CV wiki. Owned by DC Comics and/or whoever designed the pictures. I used MS Paint to enlarge the picture of Charles Grayson and Robotman so the caption fit underneath it better, and to shrink the picture of Scarecrow so it didn't overwhelm the page.

SBS #5 comments for Nightwing: Rusted From the Rain:

My vote goes to cbishop - I really enjoyed this story. I had to google the characters to read up on them. I like that you didn't have to create new characters but used existing characters and tied them together in a believable way. Plus you connected well with the song, which I took away as an old man dealing with the pain of his age, or in this case coming to his end.

stumpy49er

I wish I could say I was planning that metaphor, but actually, I was going for the much simpler "man shows up with dog robot in the rain." lol

Thanks for the vote. ;)

Oh, also, I've wanted to write this scene for years. Glad to finally get it out there. :)

cbishop

cbishop

4donkeyjohnson

Thanks. :)

cbishop

Was tied between cbishop's and stumpy49er's entries, flipped a coin, ignored the result and eventually went for the former's entry which just slithered out ahead despite both of the other entries being good in their own way

ImpurestCheese

Time Gentlemen

And cbishop: wins this round, congrats

ImpurestCheese

Sweet! I'll have a new one up soon. :)

cbishop
.Fic-O-Pedia: cbishop. (My library of fics)Fic #169

Thanks for stopping in! :^D

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cbishop
About this story

I really can't stress it enough: I'd wanted to get this story out for years, and even now (Dec 7, 2021) I still get the warm fuzzies when I read it, just because it's finally there. There a couple of minor plotholes in it where the transferring of brains is concerned, but if pressed, I could contrive something to cover them. I'd like to come back to this at some point, and write some more of Nightwing and Robbie. I have no idea what that would be like, but I imagine Robbie/Chuck would be supporting cast, not like a full robot-animal-sidekick.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading. :^D