Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23657 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3901 morpheus_  Moderator

BMWL was serviceable. Nothing groundbreaking, and Snyder's interests are in full force here (only thing missing is the CoO and Lincoln March), but it was actually nice to see the vaunted titular character do something.

The physical antagonist in Tomasi's Tec' was rather over the top for a Batman book that is unfolding as a grand murder mystery/conspiracy, but everything else was so tightly plotted that I can but say I'm growing even more intrigued. Loving this book.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#3902  Edited By TDK_1997

@morpheus_: The over the top villain makes you wonder where Tomasi is going with the book. It is such a nice story so far.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3903 morpheus_  Moderator

@tdk_1997: Knowing Tomasi, it is also a clue as to the villain's identity. Unless we are dealing with an entirely new creation.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: I am actually thinking that it is someone from Batman's past. However, the mystery so far is built very well and even if the clues are in our face, I am not able to deduct it at all.

If you are thinking that it might be an already existing character, do you have anyone in mind or?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, apparently from 'Tec #1001 Doug Mahnke will stop being a regular and will be replaced by Brad Walker. He just announced on his Twitter and it is official.

No Caption Provided

He is a good artist and I do enjoy his work but I was hoping that Mahnke was staying for the long run and not only for such a brief arc. Oh well, at least we will still have good interior visuals for the book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cae4704c27f5
    deactivated-5cae4704c27f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Tomasi's doing a great job with intrigue right now, hop he delivers though knowing Tomasi it's a certainty.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Tec is on fire right now, just brilliant.

BMWL's was super meh, I'm just tired of Snyder's Joker. Giving me 2x Snyder's Joker is like the worst thing ever. Chuckles is still a non character and he got curbstomped by regular Batman. Time for Snyder to pack his bags and just leave Batman for good, this story is already on fumes imo.

Has anyone else heard that stuff about Mattina plagiarizing artwork? what a bummer seriously.

And Hill is thinking of retiring from comics in 2019, wonder what that means for Outsiders?

@tdk_1997 said:

So, apparently from 'Tec #1001 Doug Mahnke will stop being a regular and will be replaced by Brad Walker. He just announced on his Twitter and it is official.

No Caption Provided

He is a good artist and I do enjoy his work but I was hoping that Mahnke was staying for the long run and not only for such a brief arc. Oh well, at least we will still have good interior visuals for the book.

They will alternate arcs, Mahnke will return with 1006 or 1007. I gotta say I like Arkham Knight actually leaning in to the idea of a Knight.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3908 morpheus_  Moderator

@tdk_1997: Brad's work is very solid, even though I'm not sure how well it will compliment the series' visual consistency as a whole, if they indeed alternate with Mahnke as entropy mentioned.

@entropy_aegis:I haven't even thought of the Outsiders in a while. I doubt it's going to be a loss if we don't get the book altogether. Even though it's possible someone else might get the assignment.

I haven't heard about Mattina, no. Any details?

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Yeah, the book has just lost momentum now and if Hill does retire by the end of the year then I dunno if it'd be wise to launch the series with him as the writer.

Here's the article on Mattina, its pretty damning.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/10/separated-at-birth-francesco-mattina/

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3910 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Quite unfortunate, the man had quickly grown into one of my current favorites. Even worse that ist mostly seems like utter laziness on his part.

I wonder if a new writer will also require an entirely new roster for the Outsiders. The idea for Hill's team was the main point behind his Tec' storyarc.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3911  Edited By TDK_1997

@morpheus_:Yeah, that's what worries me. His work is fantastic but it tends to be a bit lighter and more cartoony compared to Mahnke's.

@entropy_aegis:Did DC or Brad Walker announce that somewhere or are you just making asumptions? Because if you are making assumiptions, I just hope that you are right.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb
    deactivated-5d6b913edbeeb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the April solicits just got leaked, Last Knight and 3 Jokers are still nowhere to be found though I guess Snyder wont start with his mini until he's wrapped up with the BMWL's . Teen Titans and Deathstroke crossover continues, Nightwing gets Jurgens but retains the Ric direction, Batman Beyond continues with Leonardi on art and Samnee on covers to my surprise. Having a reasonably strong new art team and with Bendis teasing as well I wonder if there are bigger plans for this franchise.

Leviathan Rises continues with ACTION # 1007 and I just love how Bendis is pretending as if Leviathan is a new thing. Batman continues with its filler rubbish, worse King continues to milk the marriage that never happened. The only positive thing I can say is that the very next arc will atleast resume the story. Detective looks fantastic, the Arkham Knight arc is going ahead full steam and AK is bringing some allies, I really wonder who they'll be. Oh and Silencer has outlasted all the NAOH books save Terrifics, quite remarkable.

Here's the full solicits

@entropy_aegis: Quite unfortunate, the man had quickly grown into one of my current favorites. Even worse that ist mostly seems like utter laziness on his part.

I wonder if a new writer will also require an entirely new roster for the Outsiders. The idea for Hill's team was the main point behind his Tec' storyarc.

Well he continues to work on Deathstroke, Batman and The Green Lantern for now atleast. I expect most of the roster will be the same. Batman, BL, Katana and probably Geo-Force are not going anywhere, Cass may or may not stick. Duke I think is a goner, the character appears to be finished at this point.

@tdk_1997 said:

@morpheus_:Yeah, that's what worries me. His work is fantastic but it tends to be a bit lighter and more cartoony compared to Mahnke's.

@entropy_aegis:Did DC or Brad Walker announce that somewhere or are you just making asumptions? Because if you are making assumiptions, I just hope that you are right.

I believe he clarified the situation on his Twitter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it could be Wrath who is impersonating himself as the Arkham Knight. I am really excited about this.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3915  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: King's behavior is farcical. It's astounding, but he truly has run out of things to say and now all he can think of outside of his overarching story is how to write nonsensical filler in order to reach his 100+ issues goal.

All in all, Tec' and Deathstroke retain my interest, while AC could prove to be worthwhile if Bendis decides to write a proper thriller/action story instead of whatever he's currently doing.

How is Nightwing performing in sales? I can't believe this direction and the rotating creative teams are doing anything other than hurt the character and the book. Are they actively trying to kill the series? It's otherwise inexplicable. Nightwing isn't Batman or Spider-Man, people aren't going to zealously keep on reading no matter what.

By the way, Tynion truly is a master at falling upwards. Mediocre to terrible Tec' run, and he gets rewarded by basically being a co-writer for Snyder's Justice League. At least JLD is still good.

@biswaboxz: He wrote the Michael Cray series for the Wild Storm relaunch, and he currently works on the Killmonger mini-series for Marvel. I haven't read Postal, which should be his longest on-going work.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Its not ridiculous anymore Morph, its just pathetic. A bachlorette party for a wedding that never happened 18 issues after it was supposed to happen while there's an actual cliffhanger to follow up on is simply pathetic. Worse is that he'll use the nightmare scenario to make up his own version because Seeley actually did touch upon such a party in his one shots.

I'm worried about Bendis dragging a bunch of books in to his mess and what he might do to Talia.

I haven't followed sales in months but I believe Nightwing did get a bump after 50. Putting Jurgens on the book does indicate that they're preparing to wrap up this series. They're just hoping Dan can wrap it up in a not so terrible fashion, good luck lol.

Snyder has pretty much abandoned JL, even the upcoming 6th dimension arc will be co-written by Jiminez. Snyder is far more interested in his Batman and creator owned projects. JLD may be good but I'm betting that its extremly overwritten.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3918 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I don't know, man. I keep vowing not to mention King and then solicitations indicate he's just going to keep on biding his time on an utterly irrelevant point yet again and it all turns sour. What is really irksome is that this isn't Tynion - bad at his worst, decent at his best - this is a writer whose skill is palpable, but he keeps trying to make things more important than they actually are. That's why his Mister Miracle was almost a parody in its second half, that's why he keeps failing on Batman, that's why HiC is revolting. Just tell a good story.

In fairness to Talia, how much worse could it be after the number Grant did on her? Silencer has somewhat restored her as a more balanced character, as long as Bendis does not really mean to have her dating Jimmy Olsen and the plot is remotely coherent, it's going to be passable or better.

Jurgens is always reliable and I'd be very interested to see his take on Nightwing - only this isn't really Nightwing. I'll still take a look, though. And I wonder what their new take might entail? Dick is too important and popular to fade, they must have something for him. The Agent 37 run was masterful, it's almost as if they cannot possibly come up with something to top that.

It's perplexing, since Snyder insists he has said most of the things he intended for Batman. Yet he keeps on publishing more Batman-centric series, haha.

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JL is always about an event that will 'forever change the DCU', it's getting old.

The party for the wedding that never happened. Wow, King is really being annoying. Get off the damn book man.

Tec looks interesting but I am so tired of every new villain being introduced with the title of 'Batman's most dangerous threat' or something similar to that. We all know that the Arkham Knight will get beat in the end, c'mon.

Tec is really the only good Batman book right now.

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dont check out the preview to Batman 63.

Don't do it, it just proves that King's run on Batman is horrible.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh my........... I just skimmed through the latest issue of Batman and I must say that he doesn't care a heck about continuity and he continues his propaganda which actually didn't happen. It was horrible.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: King's behavior is farcical. It's astounding, but he truly has run out of things to say and now all he can think of outside of his overarching story is how to write nonsensical filler in order to reach his 100+ issues goal.

All in all, Tec' and Deathstroke retain my interest, while AC could prove to be worthwhile if Bendis decides to write a proper thriller/action story instead of whatever he's currently doing.

How is Nightwing performing in sales? I can't believe this direction and the rotating creative teams are doing anything other than hurt the character and the book. Are they actively trying to kill the series? It's otherwise inexplicable. Nightwing isn't Batman or Spider-Man, people aren't going to zealously keep on reading no matter what.

By the way, Tynion truly is a master at falling upwards. Mediocre to terrible Tec' run, and he gets rewarded by basically being a co-writer for Snyder's Justice League. At least JLD is still good.

@biswaboxz: He wrote the Michael Cray series for the Wild Storm relaunch, and he currently works on the Killmonger mini-series for Marvel. I haven't read Postal, which should be his longest on-going work.

Yeah, I've been convinced for a while that King's aim is just getting to that number, he thinks thats how he'll cement his legacy.

I've got some news on the Bendis front, apparently the upcoming arc in Action is just a prelude. Leviathan will be drawn by Alex Maleev and it'll coordinate all the editorial teams at DC. Ugh, Bendis event confirmed, I just wonder how they'll pull it off, Snyder and King have events coming too in the summer. I hope Tec isn't part of this non sense.

I believe the book did get a bump but its probably fallen off. Its just DC trying to stick to their guns, since it was an editorial project they wont shelve it as fast as possible. I expect Bat books to get a relaunch after Batman #75, so it'll all be over by August.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3923 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: Not really certain how to process King, Bendis and Snyder having events simultaneously. Is that not completely counter-intuitive for DC? Tec' should be safe for the time being, especially at early stages of Tomasi's run.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tdk_1997 said:

No Caption Provided

Likewise.

I only know Walker's work from Aquaman.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3925 morpheus_  Moderator

Tomasi's storyline starts to remind me of an inverted Hush.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Jason whipped Damian's ass.

Tomasi's storyline starts to remind me of an inverted Hush.

Honestly feels more like Hush done right lol.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And Affleck is out, HURRAY. Nothing against him but his return would have been an anchor to Snyder's films that I feel WB needs to move away from. The Reeve's film will be out in June 2021 and will feature multiple villains in a noir detective tale

There's also rumors of a Batman Beyond animated film for 2022 as a response to In to the Spider-verse, a 2 part Long Halloween animated adaptation for next year as well as an Arkham game.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3928 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I'm thinking inverted Hush because Hush was about Batman encountering all of his major villains, whereas this offers interactions with known or lesser known allies. Hush faltered in the payoff, but benefited tremendously from having Jim Lee at the height of his powers - Mahnke is great but he's not quite at that level. Tomasi's story seems a lot more balanced without relying purely on stylistic value. Of course, how the story wraps up will determine much about its legacy.

Jason vs Damian was brutal, but I'm glad Jason got respect. Damian shouldn't be anywhere near the Dick/Jason tier.

I believe I've mentioned elsewhere that Affleck's talents are behind the camera and not in front of it. It's hardly a big loss, and I agree that his tenure is associated with a batch of films (BvS, SS, JL) that WB/DC need to forget quickly.

Long Halloween in animated form sounds great.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man Strange is getting around this days. It's funny how sometimes a character that has been forgotten gets brought back by multiple writers at the same time.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I'm thinking inverted Hush because Hush was about Batman encountering all of his major villains, whereas this offers interactions with known or lesser known allies. Hush faltered in the payoff, but benefited tremendously from having Jim Lee at the height of his powers - Mahnke is great but he's not quite at that level. Tomasi's story seems a lot more balanced without relying purely on stylistic value. Of course, how the story wraps up will determine much about its legacy.

Jason vs Damian was brutal, but I'm glad Jason got respect. Damian shouldn't be anywhere near the Dick/Jason tier.

I believe I've mentioned elsewhere that Affleck's talents are behind the camera and not in front of it. It's hardly a big loss, and I agree that his tenure is associated with a batch of films (BvS, SS, JL) that WB/DC need to forget quickly.

Long Halloween in animated form sounds great.

Huh, didn't think of it like that, makes sense really. As for its legacy, it killed Leslie and Ducard so atleast someting worth of note happened and it introduced MM as Batman's teacher as well as BTAS character Kyodai Ken. If nothing else its already more significant than King and Tynion's work on Batman.

I'm more surprised at how prominent Jason seems to be to the narrative in a Teen Titans comic, now we march to Deathstroke.

There's also talk about a Red Son animated film, admittedly between TLH and Red Son I'd prefer the latter. I'm tired of Loeb's stuff being animated, not even looking forward to Hush really.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke # 40 preview, the finale to the Arkham arc.

Batman 64 preview :

Williamson takes over for 2 issues that will crossover with the Flash. Strange circumstances imo, its written by Williamson but is a tie inn to HIC and will bring back Gotham Girl, all of which are King's babies.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pasarin's artwork fits way too well with Deathstroke's tonality of the book. I enjoyed a whole lot his interiors for this Arkham arc.

I have high hopes for the next crossover arc of Flash and Batman because it's Williamson, last time he was doing the crossover it was brilliant. Williamson has a talent of making short arcs big and memorable, he lacks this charm and talent when the story arc gets prolonged for 5 or 6 issues or even beyond. However, this is a nice way to shake things up because King loves to postpone any conclusions and same could be said for SNyder previously.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3933 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I had forgotten Kyodai Ken was a TAS character, it did not ring a bell in spite of Batman's fight against him and Kirigi mentioning him by name. Lasting impact should be secondary to quality, though - Tomasi seems to have that covered but his run should be more than just him killing or introducing new characters.

Hush has cool visual moments, it's why I don't mind an animated film based on it. Likewise so for TLH. Red Son is the superior story out of the three by a good margin, though.

Rose's debate with Harvey is excellent in the preview. I half-regret reading it without being able to immediately continue.

Williamson already touched on Wally's death in the most recent Flash issue, he might as well run damage control.

King just can't feature any Flash in any book he writes without the character jobbing to imbeciles, see HiC #5.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I honestly thought the writer would act biased and have Damian win. lol. But yeah, it was a great issue!

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: I had forgotten Kyodai Ken was a TAS character, it did not ring a bell in spite of Batman's fight against him and Kirigi mentioning him by name. Lasting impact should be secondary to quality, though - Tomasi seems to have that covered but his run should be more than just him killing or introducing new characters.

Hush has cool visual moments, it's why I don't mind an animated film based on it. Likewise so for TLH. Red Son is the superior story out of the three by a good margin, though.

Rose's debate with Harvey is excellent in the preview. I half-regret reading it without being able to immediately continue.

Williamson already touched on Wally's death in the most recent Flash issue, he might as well run damage control.

King just can't feature any Flash in any book he writes without the character jobbing to imbeciles, see HiC #5.

Well if the latest issue is any indication maybe none of it really happened lol.

I'm not fully opposed but I'd rather they give us original material or make adaptations of something that are truly spectacular.

Has Slade finally lost it? thats what the implication seemed to be.

Bleh, I dont even bother with HIC, think I didn't even read any issue after the first.

Also looks like Daniel just revealed the arc that starts with #75, it will be called CITY OF BANE

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC'S FCBD offering

Year of the villain

Yeah, sounds a heck of a lot like Forever Evil, even down to Lex leading a team of villains and Bane taking over Gotham.

But Goddamn it, Snyder seriously needs to get over Chuckles, his characters are just awful be it Lincoln March, or Harper Row or Duke Thomas and now Chuckles.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3937 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: There is deliberate ambiguity regarding Slade's mental state. I don't think he's lost it, for what it's worth.

What did you make of today's Tec? It's probably the first that I felt was a little unnecessary, or at least not as flamboyant as previous installments.

Oh, speaking of Harper Row, she made an appearance in YJ, sadly.

I liked the core Forever Evil mini, but not much else from that event.

Daniel will at least offer for some great Bane visuals, but I can't say I'll hold my breath for King's writing.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3938  Edited By entropy_aegis

@morpheus_: Well I hope he doesn't, Slade doesn't need an insanity excuse.

Yeah, I'm going to be seriously annoyed if this entire arc turns out to be some nightmare or something.

Whats next? Duke Thomas lmao. But YJ is stuffed as it is and the producers love their fan service. If Tim Drake remains a non entity even after 1.5 seasons then I dont have much hopes for Harper.

Apparantely DC decided to write a sequel. Cant wait for Future's End 2 lol.

Agreed, its what I'm looking forward to the most about that arc. We kinda talked about it more than a year ago.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3939 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I don't think he's entirely sane, just that he has not reached the point where he makes up alien invasions out of thin air.

I don't believe that's where we're headed, at least not fully. But the mystical elements were odd, and the Hellbat didn't really have much of a reason to be present. Hell, Etrigan himself was superfluous.

You'll probably be even more dismayed to realize that, not only has Harper appeared, but her part is far from a cameo. I don't know if they intend to set her up for Bluebird or we're just going to get the imaginary development via time skip in the future.

You had foreseen a big Bane-centric story starting past #70 but I didn't know Daniel would be part of it. Anything would be preferable to the current filler.

BMWL was also rather unexciting, and Gotham Girl's character has long overstayed her welcome, even Williamson can't fashion a decent story out of that.

All in all, not a good week for Batman.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Gotham Girl was useless since creation and needs to be killed off, what has she actually contributed to... well anything besides boredom.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3941 morpheus_  Moderator

@morpheus_: Gotham Girl was useless since creation and needs to be killed off, what has she actually contributed to... well anything besides boredom.

I could have seen the use in keeping her alive when King's plots had not jumped the shark entirely. Her mental state is what prompted the I am Bane storyarc - so she was more of a catalyst and living-plot device to move the storyline forward than an actual character. Now she's just a nuisance, even her creator has forgotten about her and Williamson needs to pick up the pieces for closure.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: @entropy_aegis: I don't know, I have to disagree with both of you guys lol.

Harper Row's appearance in Young Justice wasn't as terrible as I anticipated. I was expecting something much worse, something that was litterally shoved down our throats to accept her as a vigilante. However, I am glad that she was introduced as a high schooler who happened to meet Halo and Forager and her story arc is yet to come. They might do her justice in the show, because so far we haven't had a weak storyline for any of the core members and from what it seems - she will become a member sooner or later. Even the origin story of Cyborg, which we have all seen and read hundreds of times was done in a nice fashion and you could sympathize with the character. Literally the firs time I have ever cared for Victor Stone as a character outside of Teen Titans GO!

The other thing I disagree with you is the Gotham Girl case. She really is a pointless character, one that had at least a small amount of potential but she was wasted under Tom King's writing and she became another Duke Thomas or Harper Row. However, Williamson right now is reviving the character in a way and I must say - I loved the second part of The Price. Very well written issue, great inner monologue and character voice for Batman and Barry and even Gotham Girl was written well and I want to see more of her.

I mean, I just felt like I should share these thoughts with you guys because I can see that both of you are still not fans of Harper Row and Gotham Girl lol.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3943 morpheus_  Moderator

@tdk_1997: I honestly don't disagree with much of what you said.

I know entropy isn't really a fan of Harper (hence me pointing out she appeared in YJ) and while I initially liked her well enough, the entire Bluebird plotline throughout Eternal was cumbersome - so much, in fact, that the character disappeared altogether. Her appearance in YJ by itself is not a problem, but the focus on her connection to Halo and Forager is a distraction from other characters that have barely done anything. Especially since I firmly believe we'll get a timeskip a few years later and she'll have progressed into Bluebird, Robin or whatever.

Cyborg's origin was well done but it was more of a case of "been there, done that" many times post-FP already. I recently watched JL: War so that likely added to the feeling of jadedness.

Williamson's grasp on Batman's character is solid and very much superior to King's, however the Price seems like a sci-fi B-movie in terms of plot. And I dislike that Williamson is treated as King's janitor by DC: Gotham Girl is King's character, Wally West was killed by King - he now shrugs and delegates the task to Williamson because he's too much of a hack to bother writing something substantial. Williamson will bring it to a close to the best of his ability, but this doesn't strike me as him being passionate over telling this story. It's not even his to tell.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3944  Edited By entropy_aegis

@morpheus_: True dat lol.

I'm just stunned, I literally have no idea where its all headed. I really hope Tomasi knocks it out of the park with the Arkham Knight. This decade needs to end with the invention of a new villain who'll be able to attain classic status. The Court of Owls dont do it for me.

Are we sure Tynion/Snyder are not credited on YJ? Haha.

Agreed, I dont expect King to write something magnificent but something with some energy is sorely needed. Bane taking over atleast wont be a filler snoozefest(I hope).

Gotham Girl took a complete u-turn in terms of characterization. What a mess but worse is Williamson answering questions that King should have years ago. Its truly baffling that Batman never bothered to investigate the source of the Gotham siblings power and costumes before now.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3945  Edited By entropy_aegis

Well it seems like May will be a big month for DC

Concluding issues of HIC, Creature of the Night and Damned are to be published expectedly.

Launch of Batman and Outsiders, Batman/TMNT 3 mini(the final in what is now a trilogy) and possibly Snyder's Last Knight mini.

King starts his Fall and Fallen arc in Batman, Tomasi continues with Arkham Knight.

A series by Tom Taylor presumably called DCEASED

Bendis potentially kicking off his Leviathan event.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3946 morpheus_  Moderator

@entropy_aegis: I always felt Cobb as Talon could have attained such status but Snyder was too quick in his irrational desire to have Batman win through sheer force during their encounter in the maze. He has the design, a decent backstory and all he needed was exposure and development. It inexplicably fizzled out after Court of Owls. Surprisingly enough, Tomasi has been the only one to even bother with him at length since then.

It's difficult to stomach that virtually every issue until #70 will be filler, excluding the current crossover with the Flash.

That's what has irked me - Williamson has to clean up the mess King has made, and King is not even bothered in his gall to leave so many plot points hanging, just to write imaginary storylines within Batman's mind.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: That is true. After this season, if DC decide to continue with Young Justice, which they probably will, there will be another time skip and I am sensing that Harper Row will be one of the character that has emerged as a hero. She will be part of the team and she will probably have a major role. If she is developed in the right way I have nothing against this direction of the show. However, I do agree with you that she was introduced and will probably get a lot of screen time in the second part of the season, while many characters have been sidelined. Miss Martian, Blue Beetle, Tim Drake, Wonder Girl, Aqualad are all characters who had a major role for the show and the team until last season and now all of a sudden - nothing. They have appeared in a few episodes, done what they were meant to do and off to limbo again.

I think in YJ was the best introduction of Cyborg and the media in which his origin was shown in the best possible way. Truely a dramatic origin.

Yes, htat is true. It's a shame that DC are using Williamson as the person who cleans up the mess after King. He is left with the hardest part of everything happening in the Tom King books - writing the aftermath, the consequences of all of the events that have happened concerning Batman, Sanctuary, Wally West, Gotham GIrl and etc. However, if he continues with the same path for this crossover, at the end we might get a pretty good story out of it. Not a memorable one, but at least far better than what we could've got if King did it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: Forget Cobb, the entire Court Of Owls had potential but it was wasted on sloppy execution and a poor second half to the arc. Snyder could have achieved something interesting with them but instead what we got was a boring, generic group of villains who let's be real, nobody cared about.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morpheus_: They still had a chance with Felix Harmon but Snyder was more interested in Joker and still is. Yeah, Tomasi made Cobb Bane's Robin ha.

Well we've got Weeks, Fornes and Paquette on art so there's a silver lining.

I dont even know why Williamson even bothered tbh. Oh well, atleast he's looking to wrap up loose ends from the I am Gotham arc, he atleast has my respect for that.

@tdk_1997: I dont think Tim and Cassie ever had a major role in YJ.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entirety of the Bendis/Maleev TEC 1000 story has been released along with an interview.

https://ew.com/books/2019/02/15/read-an-exclusive-story-from-batman-anniversary-comic-detective-comics-1000/

Important thing to note:

“This is just the beginning for us,” Bendis says. “Even though we’re not coming on to a Batman book that exists, me and Alex are working on a huge Batman-infused storyline coming to DC Comics this summer. This is kind of a palate cleanser. This is what’s gonna look and feel like. This is an artistic prelude.”

I'm scared now, we know he's working with Maleev on Leviathan which will spin out of Action Comics. But is DC really going to allow Leviathan and City of Bane to run along in the Bat books simultaneously? And then there's Arkham Knight. Honestly Bendis, King and Tomasi should have collaborated to bring all 3 storylines together. Bane and Talia have history and AK can be added to that.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.