Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23535 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Batman and Detective comics discussion thread

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Eto

Here we can discuss all Batman related comics!

No Caption Provided

@laughingbatman @entropy_aegis @Black_Arrow @Nathaniel_Christopher

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Are you ready for War of the Jokes and Riddles?

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By vinomonster
    Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By entropy_aegis

I'll discuss Batman/Shadow if I feel like it but Tec and Batman are out of my pull now sadly.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto :) request this thread to be pinned.. We just requested the WW thread to be pinned earlier. It's nice to see threads of the Trinity Uniformly.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I was going to stop reading Batman but considering the Button and the Brave and the Mold were actually good and interesting, I will wait and see how Batman's run goes.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was pinned :) thank you mods.. now the Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman threads are all pinned.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:
    No Caption Provided

Are you ready for War of the Jokes and Riddles?

YESSSSSSSSS

Hoping the story is close to the level that The Button and The Brave and The Mold was written at. Excited to see Joker and Riddler again. However, I am still waiting to hear what's going on with the 3 Jokers deal.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I am confused, I thought that Batman/Shadow was canon but I think that the ending contradicts that. I am confused, Have we seen the joker since he was changed by the Dionyseum in Super Heavy?.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: I haven't ordered Batman/Shadow. Is it any good?

As for your question, joker did appear in Harley Quinn, at least that's what I heard.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Black_Arrow
    @eto said:

@black_arrow: I haven't ordered Batman/Shadow. Is it any good?

As for your question, joker did appear in Harley Quinn, at least that's what I heard.

Yeah I remember that now, those Harley books are kinda non canon, sometimes they reference stuff but they are mainly their own thing.

It's pretty good, I really like it. The story is quite simple for now, there's a supernatural killer on Gotham who happens to be an enemy of the Shadow, so this leads to a meeting between Batman and the Shadow. This two issues have been Batman trying to figure out what are the Shadow reasons and motives, and falling deeper into Shadow's world. I like is that this all feels like a Batman story, It's just him investigating a murder and a mistery. The thing that I enjoyed the most is Batman's characterization, He is a great detective and a master fighter but He is also very human and he can be overwhelmed by the supernatural elements of the villain and the Shadow but he fights through them by sheer will power. It feels like Batman from The Animated Series but written by Snyder and Orlando. While it mostly follow through the perspective of Batman, you feel like Shadow gets the respect he deserves and that this story fits him. My only problem is that there's a Snyderism about a mistery from the past, It bothered me when I finished the first issue but on this second issue, I feel like that they could downplay it enough so it doesn't bother me as much (It seemed that they retconned one character but now I think that's not quite accurate).

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Batman/Shadow written by Orlando, but when the book transitions to Snyder its bleh. I like the book overall but the Snyderissms are the worst here. Its not canon as far as I'm concerned because it has no reason to be. Snyder is trying to force the Shadow in to Batman canon it hurts. But DC doesn't even own the character, so making the Stag ( a DC character) so tied to Shadow and Shadow himself Ducard (as well as other trainers) is a baffling choice. I'll just shut my brain and enjoy the ride because you just cant take this seriously.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Batman/Shadow written by Orlando, but when the book transitions to Snyder its bleh. I like the book overall but the Snyderissms are the worst here. Its not canon as far as I'm concerned because it has no reason to be. Snyder is trying to force the Shadow in to Batman canon it hurts. But DC doesn't even own the character, so making the Stag ( a DC character) so tied to Shadow and Shadow himself Ducard (as well as other trainers) is a baffling choice. I'll just shut my brain and enjoy the ride because you just cant take this seriously.

Well I think it's not canon because It contradicts it. The Joker wasn't even the Joker the last time we saw him at Superheavy so If this was canon It wouldn't make much sense.

They will probably leave the mystery of The Shadow unresolved and that maybe he was just playing with Bruce's mind to manipulate him like he did with his other allies. Kinda like they did with Lincoln March were we never learned if he was Bruce's brother and the answer will be probably not. Correct if I am wrong, but isn't the Stag created for this crossover? He appeared in Batman annual 1 but It could have been a non canon story about this crossover.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: Aah I see, I'll most likely pick up the tpb then.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody read Tec from today yet? The Wrath of Spoiler part 1?

Jakai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jakai

@vinomonster: I actually made a Batman & Detective Comics Rebirth Discussion thread to match the Wonder Woman one...

Link

I don't know why this one got pinned instead of the other

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakai: dunno why but it was pinned already we cant do nothing about it.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laughingbatman: No. how was the issue? What was Bruce's role? What was Spoiler's role in it. Did Tim make a cameo or did they mention him? Do not forget to spoiler block please.

knightfall44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did u guys think of I am Gotham story

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Eto

@vinomonster: @jakai: Didn't know there already was one (you can ask @laughingbatman if you don't believe me). What I do know is that I made one, like 5/6 months ago and I suddenly couldn't find it anymore. Deleted I guess.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightfall44: I think the story could have been better if the Gotham and Gotham girl were more fleshed out.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: So it was different. Bruce wasn't in it at all. It was basically Spoiler destroying the bat signal, and apparently she's been doing it awhile as Bullock is keeping guard. Then this villain, Wrath, is going on about how he's following the Joker's path to get Batman's attention and be a big name villain, but it's actually Spoiler who takes him down. Cops show up, she makes it looks like the cops did it so they can be the "heroes".

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laughingbatman: Wait Bruce wasn't in it?! For real. Yeah, idk man, I'm not a big fan of where 'Tec is heading. For now, its Batman and all star for me.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis said:

Well I think it's not canon because It contradicts it. The Joker wasn't even the Joker the last time we saw him at Superheavy so If this was canon It wouldn't make much sense.

They will probably leave the mystery of The Shadow unresolved and that maybe he was just playing with Bruce's mind to manipulate him like he did with his other allies. Kinda like they did with Lincoln March were we never learned if he was Bruce's brother and the answer will be probably not. Correct if I am wrong, but isn't the Stag created for this crossover? He appeared in Batman annual 1 but It could have been a non canon story about this crossover.

Yeah, thank God for that but I still find the choice of making Stag so tied to Shadow puzzling, shrugs not that I care about Stag's reusibility.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Yeah It's an odd decision to create a new villain for the Shadow, I know that he has villains of his own, why not pick one of those instead? That's usually what happens in a crossover, one of the main villains of one hero teams up with one of the main villains of the other hero.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@laughingbatman: Wait Bruce wasn't in it?! For real. Yeah, idk man, I'm not a big fan of where 'Tec is heading. For now, its Batman and all star for me.

Bruce wasn't in it but it was about him in a roundabout way.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@entropy_aegis: Yeah It's an odd decision to create a new villain for the Shadow, I know that he has villains of his own, why not pick one of those instead? That's usually what happens in a crossover, one of the main villains of one hero teams up with one of the main villains of the other hero.

Indeed, they even mentioned those villains.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Just caught up on Batman I will say Kin finally wrote some good issues with the button and the brave and the mold. The rest is meh.

Still need to catch up on detective but, not really inspired to. From what I hear its just ok.

As for All Star don't really have an interest in reading it. Is it good?

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lxlgiftedlxl: Agreed on Batman, here's hoping King will proceed to write good stories just like brace and mold.

Tec....sucks. It's really underwhelming.

ASBatman first arc was really awesome, art was bad. Back issues are about Duke and I'm like: what is this unnecessary s***t about lol.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleeding Cool thinks Batman is about to retire, impeccable timing seeing as I'm taking a retirement from Bat books myself. Johns, Tynion and Snyder really are trying to run the franchise in to the ground.

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleeding Cool is just a bunch of click bait. Bruce is not retiring for a while. Or at least dying.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

It was just Okay...actually, the first issue of the entire run so far, that wasn't good/very good, it had some major problems with plotting, but the biggest problem for me was how/why didn't Batman stopped Steph already? its not like he couldn't if he wantted too...and its not even about him caring for her, this is bigger than their feud, Steph's actions are putting inocent people's lives in danger every night...Bruce is a big picture guy, i don't see this continuing for long...next issue or so we'll have Bruce facing Steph, and putting a end to this i'm betting on it.

Anyway, there's a rumor that we're going to have Steph going up against Anarky...i think Tynion will have Anarky being like this dark reflection of Steph, maybe then, winning or losing, Steph will realize the error of her ways.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@eto said:

@lxlgiftedlxl: Agreed on Batman, here's hoping King will proceed to write good stories just like brace and mold.

ASBatman first arc was really awesome, art was bad. Back issues are about Duke and I'm like: what is this unnecessary s***t about lol.

Tec' or Detective Comics, whatever way you want to call it, is the by far the best thing that came out of Rebirth, and the best bat-book right now, plus the best bat-book that i've read in more than a decade...it has some flaws with plotting, but people just don't realize how hard it is to write a book like this, that is pretty much a bat-super-team, with Batman himself, supreme fighter Cassandra Cain, genius level intelect Tim Drake, skilled meta-human Azrael, a literal monster Clayface that can shapeshift and its nearly unbeatable, near genius level intelect Batwing with batman-beyond like gear and resources, and a great leader in Batwoman who has been pushed as a all-around female response to Batman...plus Stephanie-Brown who now is a also a near-genius level intelect, tech-wizard.

Writting a team-book with this roster, comes with alot of challanges, How do you have them facing someone at street-level (since this is a bat-book, they will have to face street-level enemies) than any of the members of this team couldn't take care of, alone? except for Steph, maybe (with enough preparation time, Post-Flashpoint Steph and Tim would be hard opponents for most characters to beat them)...stuff like this, isn't easy...another thing that isn't easy to do is giving every member of this team their fair share of the spot-light, specially on character-centric-arc's which Tynion said he would do for all members of the team, and which he's still doing, once its over, we'll have stories focusing on all members at once, and then it will get better...most people that aren't happy with this book are primarily Batman-fans, and they say that he doens't receive as much focus as they think he should...what is normal, considering that so far he is appearing on other-character's-centric-arcs...he will get his, i'm sure, until then, its pointless to ask for Batman to be the main star of the book...if you want to read Batman and Batman alone as the main lead, then read the Batman solo-book...also, Batman so far, has got the privelige to be the second most important character of every character-centric-arc so far, even Batwoman (the leader of the team) always only gets to be third place...

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bleeding Cool thinks Batman is about to retire, impeccable timing seeing as I'm taking a retirement from Bat books myself. Johns, Tynion and Snyder really are trying to run the franchise in to the ground.

At least, the Button won't be pointless and they won't ignore it. It makes sense considering that Batman is going to go for a Flashback arc so this might mean that one of the future events needs Batman to be retired in the begining.

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By laughingbatman

@laughingbatman said:

It was just Okay...actually, the first issue of the entire run so far, that wasn't good/very good, it had some major problems with plotting, but the biggest problem for me was how/why didn't Batman stopped Steph already? its not like he couldn't if he wantted too...and its not even about him caring for her, this is bigger than their feud, Steph's actions are putting inocent people's lives in danger every night...Bruce is a big picture guy, i don't see this continuing for long...next issue or so we'll have Bruce facing Steph, and putting a end to this i'm betting on it.

Anyway, there's a rumor that we're going to have Steph going up against Anarky...i think Tynion will have Anarky being like this dark reflection of Steph, maybe then, winning or losing, Steph will realize the error of her ways.

I was thinking it might be because of the events in The Button, maybe he's not answering the call anymore. Maybe Anarky will do something that will open Steph's eyes to see why Batman does what he does and she'll run back to him. Or Tim will return.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc said:
    @laughingbatman said:

I was thinking it might be because of the events in The Button, maybe he's not answering the call anymore. Maybe Anarky will do something that will open Steph's eyes to see why Batman does what he does and she'll run back to him. Or Tim will return.

That would be interesting, we know that at least Detective Comics / Batman / Nightwing, those 3 titles, are all together in terms of "in-universe/in-continuity", things happen at roughly about the same time on these, (the cross-over Night-Of-The-Monster-Men, that took place throughout all 3 books, it's proof of this)...not sure about Batwoman, Batgirl, BOP, Rhato...could be a few months between those...but we know that "the button" is a cross-over that will only take place on Batman and The Flash titles, so really idk if its going to mentioned on Tec', the whole thing will probably just get a small mention somewhere, not sure if it will have impact on the current events on Detective Comics but probably not.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@laughingbatman: Yeah, i think her rivelary with Anarky will have some impact on her, maybe she will fail to deal with him alone, and will have to call her teammates to help her, and thus admitting that she was wrong about the world not needing super-heros.

It will also be good to have a small story-arc (in terms of scale) for once...i mean, ever since this run started, every story-arc on Detective Comics has the team facing some enemy or some threat capable of taking over or destroy the whole city...and i get it, i mean, when you're writting a team-book with a team like this, that some issues ago Tim Drake labeled as "Batman's private Justice League", one would expect big-scale-stories like this...but i miss a good old small crime-fighting story...not to mention that over the past few months on Detective Comics, Gotham has been attacked / burned and had many buildings destroyed several times...it's probably time for Tynion to start taking it slow :p

laughingbatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laughingbatman: Yeah, i think her rivelary with Anarky will have some impact on her, maybe she will fail to deal with him alone, and will have to call her teammates to help her, and thus admitting that she was wrong about the world not needing super-heros.

It will also be good to have a small story-arc (in terms of scale) for once...i mean, ever since this run started, every story-arc on Detective Comics has the team facing some enemy or some threat capable of taking over or destroy the whole city...and i get it, i mean, when you're writting a team-book with a team like this, that some issues ago Tim Drake labeled as "Batman's private Justice League", one would expect big-scale-stories like this...but i miss a good old small crime-fighting story...not to mention that over the past few months on Detective Comics, Gotham has been attacked / burned and had many buildings destroyed several times...it's probably time for Tynion to start taking it slow :p

No kidding. Small scale is okay. Not every story has to be city-ending lol

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

Tec' or Detective Comics, whatever way you want to call it, is the by far the best thing that came out of Rebirth, and the best bat-book right now, plus the best bat-book that i've read in more than a decade...it has some flaws with plotting, but people just don't realize how hard it is to write a book like this, that is pretty much a bat-super-team, with Batman himself, supreme fighter Cassandra Cain, genius level intelect Tim Drake, skilled meta-human Azrael, a literal monster Clayface that can shapeshift and its nearly unbeatable, near genius level intelect Batwing with batman-beyond like gear and resources, and a great leader in Batwoman who has been pushed as a all-around female response to Batman...plus Stephanie-Brown who now is a also a near-genius level intelect, tech-wizard.

Writting a team-book with this roster, comes with alot of challanges, How do you have them facing someone at street-level (since this is a bat-book, they will have to face street-level enemies) than any of the members of this team couldn't take care of, alone? except for Steph, maybe (with enough preparation time, Post-Flashpoint Steph and Tim would be hard opponents for most characters to beat them)...stuff like this, isn't easy...another thing that isn't easy to do is giving every member of this team their fair share of the spot-light, specially on character-centric-arc's which Tynion said he would do for all members of the team, and which he's still doing, once its over, we'll have stories focusing on all members at once, and then it will get better...most people that aren't happy with this book are primarily Batman-fans, and they say that he doens't receive as much focus as they think he should...what is normal, considering that so far he is appearing on other-character's-centric-arcs...he will get his, i'm sure, until then, its pointless to ask for Batman to be the main star of the book...if you want to read Batman and Batman alone as the main lead, then read the Batman solo-book...also, Batman so far, has got the privelige to be the second most important character of every character-centric-arc so far, even Batwoman (the leader of the team) always only gets to be third place...

First of all, best book from rebirth? Yeah, that's definitely not thecase. Then again it is opinionated so if you like it that much, good for you.

I undestand that it can be hard for a writer to write a team book, but then DC should eithrr hire a more competent writer or the team shouldn't be this overcrowded. Why do you assume that I've dropped it due to the lack of Batman? Lol, that' not the case...at all. I just didn't like the direction it was heading. Yes, I do read Batman main title. However, that.book had some issuez as well but it seems that King has finally found his way. As far as I'm concerned, tec will be the same for a while. If I hear better things, I'll definitely reconsider picking it up.

DJMASK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Bruce after this................Bruce after this................

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@eto said:
    @bat_girl_cc said:
    @eto said:

First of all, best book from rebirth? Yeah, that's definitely not thecase. Then again it is opinionated so if you like it that much, good for you.

I undestand that it can be hard for a writer to write a team book, but then DC should eithrr hire a more competent writer or the team shouldn't be this overcrowded. Why do you assume that I've dropped it due to the lack of Batman? Lol, that' not the case...at all. I just didn't like the direction it was heading. Yes, I do read Batman main title. However, that.book had some issuez as well but it seems that King has finally found his way. As far as I'm concerned, tec will be the same for a while. If I hear better things, I'll definitely reconsider picking it up.

When i say, best bat-book, i'm talking about characterization, Tynion has done wonders to almost every character on this book (Batwoman - he managed to make her relevant again after the fiasco of her last solo-run, so much that she even got another solo / Batwing - Luke Fox has always been kinda of a bland character but Tynion has made him more interesting, he displays far more personality now than he did on his own Batwing solo book / Clayface - words cannot describe what Tynion is doing with this character, let's just say that he managed to make a villain a more compeling character than Duke Thomas / Cass - Tynion was the one who brought her back to Rebirth, and while he used some elements of her previous continuity back-story, it was mostly well done, and he explained Cassandra's character to the new readers quite well / Azrael - his own character-centric-arc is coming next...) only Batman and Steph haven't shined alot, so far, who's portrayals have been meh, but with time they will also get their moments, i belive...I mean, Steph has gotten her fair share of the spot-light, but in a bad way, at least i didn't like it, but i know some of her fans that did like it, so there's that too...and Batman has also gotten plenty of panel time, but not in a very meaningfull way, at least not to his benefit, although as i said before, he will get his moments too, i belive.

The problem with Detective Comics isn't being a team book, or it being overcrowded...its who the team members are...each of them its like the best in the world at something and alone they are already insanely capable characters some might even say overpowered which i don't think that they are, and together we pretty much have a unstoppable team at street-level...i for one really like the concept and the idea of Batman having his own private Justice League to deal with the bigger problems at Gotham City level, but i understand how hard it must be to make it all work...Tynion, so far, is a doing a good job at coming up with threats that are credible enough for the team to face off against, while trying to have every character being active with something to do...but its important to realize that that's specially harder to do on character-centric-arcs, which Tynion is still doing, but it shouldn't be long now, we're now going to have Azrael's arc, and we already had Batwoman's, Stephanie's, and Cassandra's...once its over, and we start getting arcs focusing on all team members at once, it will get better...but for now, Tynion is pretty much introducing every member of the team, which is a good thing, because some of these characters have been gone for a while and specially new readers may not be familiar with them.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto: i replyed to you...but when i said: " most people that aren't happy with this book are primarily Batman-fans, and they say that he doens't receive as much focus as they think he should " i wasn't specifically adressing you, i was talking about the majority of the people's opinions (from the ones that aren't enjoying the book) that i've come across.

Eto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bat_girl_cc: No it's okay.

Please share your thoughts with us here on each issue that comes out and who knows you can persuade me!

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eto said:

@bat_girl_cc: No it's okay.

Please share your thoughts with us here on each issue that comes out and who knows you can persuade me!

Sure :)

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@djmask said:
    No Caption Provided

Wow...is that from the current "The Button" arc?

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By belrev516

@bat_girl_cc: The Tec team isn't Batman's 'private Justice League'

The JLA which is actually created by Batman is what Tim was referring to.

Bat_Girl_CC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bat_Girl_CC

@belrev516 said:

@bat_girl_cc: The Tec team isn't Batman's 'private Justice League'

The JLA which is actually created by Batman is what Tim was referring to.

Nope

No Caption Provided

" this new team at the Belfry..." that's the Detective Comics team.

Besides, let's face it, if the Tec' team faced off against the JLA, the Tec' team would probably win...both have Batman, Batwoman would take out Black Canary, Cass would take out Vixen, Azrael vs The Ray would be a interesting match-up, Clayface would nullify Lobo's superior physicals and could even make him pass out by preventing him from breathing, and Batwing could take out Frost by keeping himself flying at a safe distance from her and using his Gear to take her out...and i'm leaving out, the *one button K.O* "tech-wizards" Tim and Steph :p

belrev516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And JLA's first issue came out in that month.

"Not only do we know now, that he is preparing for war, his forming of The Justice League of America, and even what Duke, Nightwing, and The Red Hood have been involved with, "may be part of a much bigger plan.

It is talking about the actual Justice League that Batman formed. This is when 'Dark Days' was first found out too, it makes sense story wise and it promotes the JLA title which came out in the same month.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.