Follow

Mongul

Character » Mongul appears in 207 issues.

The cruel conqueror Mongul once roamed the cosmos aboard Warworld, a planet-sized engine of destruction. Invading countless worlds, Mongul enslaved entire populations. Dying at the hands of Neron, his son carries on the family tradition, most recently as a member and would be leader of the Sinestro Corps.

Darkseid-lite

BlackWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackWind

People say that Mongul is nothing but a watered down version of Darkseid. I'd like other people's opinions on if this is true.

My greatest exposure to him comes from the Justice League cartoon. In the episode For the Man Who Has Everything, we see that Mongul is pretty damn smart, subduing Superman within his own mind, even though he's capable of killing him himself(albeit not easily). When he meets Wonder Woman and Batman, you can tell from his tone he's immensely condescending, and is enjoying talking down to them. Mongul even believes that once Superman's down and out, he'll easily be able to take over Earth, neglecting quite a few other heroes who could stop him.

He even throws a few sexist comments towards Diana in a sort of mocking way. We're shown that he believes Superman's perfect world is him ruling the universe, wen in reality it's living peacefully on a farm on a technologically advanced planet, showing he doesn't at all believe Clark is as good as he really is.

So tell me, is this portrayal of him accurate? What sets him apart from the great Darkseid?

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonSmith

Well.

He's yellow.

And not as awesome.

... Yeah, that's all I got.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackwind: that he's yellow and doesn't have omega beams

And and yeah he darkseid lite sorry he is

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos is based on Darkseid and Mongul is based on Thanos.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

StrangeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrangeMan

I've always been interested in the guy, but the only story I've read with him was also For The Man Who Has Everything, solely based on that the major difference that I can recall is that he's more sadistic and enjoys abusing and manipulating others, Darkseid (at least when he's written correctly) on the other hand doesn't bullshit around.

But I still wouldn't call him a watered down version of Darkseid, hell, can someone tell me the similarities that these two have? They're both conquerers of their own worlds and are intergalactic powerhouses (Mongul being able to easily whoop the entire Justice League's ass, incluiding Superman and Martian Manhunter, and we're talking Pre-Crisis here), but aside from that they're entirely different characters personality wise.

AAmongul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

@jonsmith: @lifeofvibe: Alright this is completely false, Mongul was most popular during his time in the green lantern corps were he was super badass with six yellow rings on his fingers, trying to take over the corps for himself. So you tell me when darkseid ever did that and other than both of them being smart and strong there really is no similarities so all the ppl who said he was a lite darkseid you are idiots

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LaserLambert

Mongul is rad, so is Darkseid, but they are different enough, Darkseid with his anti-life equation and Mongul with his War World, I mean if you want to be all pissy and say there should only be one evil alien emperor per universe, then I don't even want to continue conversation with you.

and yeah, one of his co-creators is Jim Starlin, who created Thanos, what of it?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.