Follow

Jason Todd

Character » Jason Todd appears in 1755 issues.

Jason Todd was the second Robin, until he was brutally murdered by the Joker. After he was resurrected, Jason learned Batman didn't avenge his death. Anguished and seeking vengeance, he initially turned against his mentor and father figure and took on the Clown Prince's former identity: the Red Hood. He eventually returned to the Bat-Family and assembled a team of anti-heroes known as the Outlaws.

DC & Planning...

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I think the synergy thing interests me most. Jason was featured in a DVD that sold half a million copies. So you have a character that you're trying to find a fit for all this time right? And this movie sort of redefines him again in a new medium that saw more viewers than most comics do in a year. They do a miniseries for that character, mind you the miniseries, while decent is nearly totally removed from the DCU, and missing the character from having the moniker of Red Hood except on the cover. It was necessary but removed from the DCU and it was all about becoming the guy in the movie.

So for the first appearance since the movie.....you have him look completely different from the movie, in an appearance that was poorly recieved in both phyical body and costume previously. The only connection is Winick. I think that's the only way we got through to them. And I say that knowing full well how many people mailed postcards, and sent emails to DC editorial once we cracked their email formats in addition to those folks doing online petitions.

But I guess I'm still at a loss. This isn't a character like Superman or Batman where whatever you did in some movie doesn't really matter with how they look somewhere else in the comics. But for a character in need of identity? REALLY?
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By daredevil21134

I couldn't agree more
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By johnny_spam

You take advantage of the other media exposure but you do not become a slave to them I think too many people being to dedicated to things like the Superman movies and Batman The Animated Series prevent the characters from truly evolving. By those means we should only use the young DC heroes/Teen Titans in the context of the Teen Titans animated series prevents progression. Also Under the Red Hood is part of such a niche fanbase PG 13 animated films starring superheroes is not the biggest exposure to the character.

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RedHoodsDen

What will they be a slave to except the word "pre-crisis"?

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By johnny_spam
    @RedHoodsDen: @RedHoodsDen said:
    What will they be a slave to except the word "pre-crisis"?
    With Jason it is not even making him like Pre-Crisis it was making him resemble the Joker more he had outrageous public plots against Batman and Robin he wore more colorful wardrobe he had bad skin his hair was a different color after rising from the pit it was all shades of Joker even the line where he said it was too late for him. And Jason was subject to that the moment he used the Red Hood name.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I think I'm moreso referring to the company at large in the need to restore the pre-crisis than in this instance with Jason. The hair's mostly a mark of cain type thing.

And that's all in the name of making him Dick's Joker. A move that his fanbase largely rejects.They're writing a character for the haters now?

I get all the color to Morrison's Jason and metatextual masturbation to it. I understand its about the editorial mandate. That he was this imperfect bastard son destined to become that which he fights against. I disagree with the acceleration to Gotham Freak because I think you basically destroy his story potential quicker. He becomes Two-Face, the scarred fallen ally, in a Joker moniker. Supervillain, the equivalent of Lock-Up. My belief is in distancing the character so much from what he once was, you don't necessarily show far he's fallen so much as distance himself from his own tragedy. I think there's greater power in somebody who looks like Robin decapitating criminals, as opposed to Joker Lite. And it's not about the tragedy anymore, and how far he's fallen. Now it's the middle child who hates the first born, and basically always did. It's about compensating for the fact the elder has a lousy rogues gallery so the potential of the younger must be hindered to that, denied his potential. Poetic, maybe but foolish. I take issue with the fact it's claimed the character can't find his legs beecause of some of the dreck they've published, allowed to publish, things like Blood Brothers for one. There should be an apology for Countdown. I bought 52 issues of that book so they could pull, out of their asses, that Jason's lesson was he learnt nothing. They can claim they're embracing the mishmash. It's just lazy.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By johnny_spam
    And that's all in the name of making him Dick's Joker. A move that his fanbase largely rejects.They're writing a character for the haters now?

I get all the color to Morrison's Jason and metatextual masturbation to it. I understand its about the editorial mandate. That he was this imperfect bastard son destined to become that which he fights against. I disagree with the acceleration to Gotham Freak because I think you basically destroy his story potential quicker. He becomes Two-Face, the scarred fallen ally, in a Joker moniker. Supervillain, the equivalent of Lock-Up. My belief is in distancing the character so much from what he once was, you don't necessarily show far he's fallen so much as distance himself from his own tragedy. I think there's greater power in somebody who looks like Robin decapitating criminals, as opposed to Joker Lite.
    Dick's Joker really has been his default status and I think is only natural since he came back screaming at his father trying to attack him it makes sense he goes after the older brother. Really a mistake was made when his behavior varied so much between One Year Later and Final Crisis when two stories in a row came out deciding he was a enemy to Dick then it was the route to stay on. As for potential to me all that was thrown out the window when he was the Robin who died then someone who came back bad that right there is enough to make him a villain two big things that cannot be easily forgotten.

I still think that Robin coming back from the dead and becoming another Gotham villain has potential as well to me he acts like a media savvy vigilante and not a killer with no real pattern like Joker.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedHoodsDen

So the appropriate thing for both characters to your mind is back-up batman and joker?

RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RedHoodJT

While you both have great points I have to say that Jason has a big enough fan base that  he could carry his own monthly title. if they would give him his own identity. Don't make Dicks Joker. And don't make him whine about being the Robin that died and all that. Have him use that he was the Robin that died as his fuel. As well as his anger to surpass Dick to make him do the crazy insane shit that he does. Killing the bad guys is what he does best. He doesn't need to be added to Dicks rouges as the "joker" per se. That is just lame.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By johnny_spam
    So the appropriate thing for both characters to your mind is back-up batman and joker?
    I didn't say that I said DC should not change things just because of what is done in movies and videos and that Jason does not have many options other than being a villain because of how things played out for him.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By RedHoodsDen

And I'm saying in this one instance. They should have. It was a new place to build, but at the where he started, before piles of crap made it to where people look at this month's cover and go "huh?"

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daredevil21134
    @RedHoodJT said:
    While you both have great points I have to say that Jason has a big enough fan base that  he could carry his own monthly title. if they would give him his own identity. Don't make Dicks Joker. And don't make him whine about being the Robin that died and all that. Have him use that he was the Robin that died as his fuel. As well as his anger to surpass Dick to make him do the crazy insane shit that he does. Killing the bad guys is what he does best. He doesn't need to be added to Dicks rouges as the "joker" per se. That is just lame.
    Totally agreed.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Primmaster64

Why would they wanna make him Dick's Joker in the first place.

RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Because as opposed to trying to spend time and build a character with a fanbase worthy of an ongoing, it's easier to just find placeholder titles for characters like Dick and Jason.
    Make no mistake,5 years ago Dick was nearly killed because he was "a back-up Batman", Didio's words. I ask you, what is he today? People at DC somehow seem surprised people took to him as Batman. I don't get why. He's always accepted in that role, they acknowledged that when they wanted to kill him. The issue really was you had a decade of Nightwing stories that nobody ever quoted as some of comics best stuff. Rather than address that in his title, they slapped a bat on him.  Same with Jason. What's easy? To make him a run of the mill psycho, to beef up Dick's lacking rogues gallery.

It's about not trying. Not owning up to mistakes. Spin. These are the same people who "Rebirth" characters to realign them. They don't want to bother here.

Put this in perspective: What did Dick do when Bludhaven was nuked by the Society? He world hopped for a year and moved to New York. You want a Joker? Slade was part of the group that dropped Chemo there and killed his entire city.  It hasn't even been touched has it?
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Primmaster64

Sure we would like too see them bash each other's faces one in a while..but not make him an archnemesis....we want an anti-hero.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64: exactly
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Primmaster64
    @daredevil21134: Jason has a lot of potential of being an awesome character.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64 said:
    @daredevil21134: Jason has a lot of potential of being an awesome character.
    I can't help but think that If he was Marvel he would have took of by now
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Primmaster64
    @daredevil21134: His Marvel counterpart has had a awesome years...but they are about to destroy him too now.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64 said:
    @daredevil21134: His Marvel counterpart has had a awesome years...but they are about to destroy him too now.
    I still think Bucky can make it as Winter Soldier or under a different mantle.He has enough consistency with his character to survive not being Cap anymore 
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RedHoodsDen

I thought Winter Soldier. Agent of SHIELD, always would've worked.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Primmaster64
    @RedHoodsDen: I don't think Bucky will go back to being the Winter Soldier...due to that reputation.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By daredevil21134
    @Primmaster64 said:
    @RedHoodsDen: I don't think Bucky will go back to being the Winter Soldier...due to that reputation.
    Yeah but its a cool mantle
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Well just in general I always thought he'd be good for a SHIELD relaunch. I really thought that's where they were going when he hooked up with Fury early on once he got his memory back.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By daredevil21134
    @RedHoodsDen said:
    Well just in general I always thought he'd be good for a SHIELD relaunch. I really thought that's where they were going when he hooked up with Fury early on once he got his memory back.
    Yeah,I didn't like him as Cap but I like Winter Soldier
    TheWalkingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheWalkingman
    @daredevil21134 said:
    @Primmaster64 said:
    I still think Bucky can make it as Winter Soldier or under a different mantle.He has enough consistency with his character to survive not being Cap anymore 
    I always thought of Daken as Marvel's Jason and last time I checked Jason had a bigger fan-base then Daken until Daken got his own series. Hell I know that there are STILL more people that would support a Jason/Red Hood series over Daken. When one looks at how well Daken is doing its because Marvel said "here's a character who has a small fan, lets give him his own run and see how it goes" and poof now Daken: Dark Wolverine is one of there better selling series.

Marvel was able to stand on there own(and they still could have had they just waited for the Avengers Movies to take off) was because they had teams for almost every one of their character so they could make sure that the character was written correctly and had if a new artist came aboard they made sure that they could at least draw said character in a similar manner. In DC I seems to treat their characters like timeshares "one group comes in does their thing and leaves, then another group comes in does their thing and leaves and so on and so forth" another thing that Marvel has over DC is they're willing to use antiheroes were as DC feels as soon as a hero kills they are a villain waiting to happen.

For now that's all I have
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Primmaster64
    @RedHoodsDen: Wonder what's going to happen to Bucky now.
    daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By daredevil21134
    @TheWalkingman said:
    @daredevil21134 said:
    @Primmaster64 said:
    I always thought of Daken as Marvel's Jason and last time I checked Jason had a bigger fan-base then Daken until Daken got his own series. Hell I know that there are STILL more people that would support a Jason/Red Hood series over Daken. When one looks at how well Daken is doing its because Marvel said "here's a character who has a small fan, lets give him his own run and see how it goes" and poof now Daken: Dark Wolverine is one of there better selling series.Marvel was able to stand on there own(and they still could have had they just waited for the Avengers Movies to take off) was because they had teams for almost every one of their character so they could make sure that the character was written correctly and had if a new artist came aboard they made sure that they could at least draw said character in a similar manner. In DC I seems to treat their characters like timeshares "one group comes in does their thing and leaves, then another group comes in does their thing and leaves and so on and so forth" another thing that Marvel has over DC is they're willing to use antiheroes were as DC feels as soon as a hero kills they are a villain waiting to happen.For now that's all I have
    I agree totally
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By RedHoodsDen
    Either co-starring with Cap or his own thing I'm sure.

The  interesting thing with Jason, the thing he has going against him,  is DC likes to tout the "WE LISTENED!" mantra about him still. They did on the DVD supplementary stuff as well. He was disliked so we did like the fans wanted and killed him. There's never a mention of Dark Knight Returns and the looming spectre of a dead Jason Todd and how they played that up in the main books- having Scarecrow show his great fear was Jason's tombstone, how Mad Hatter shot him 5 times in an issue of 'Tec whose very cover is Robin Dies At Dawn-esque thing. And they don't talk about the mass psychology of that. That killing Robin is something readers fantasized about since the 1950s, DC just found their stones when it wasn't the iconic kid to pull the trigger.
    And they don't talk about one caller making up 6% of the death phone lines calls. They tout that they listened. They don't tout that a story like "The Diplomat's Son" might've been about garnering that result. 

"We listened!"

They still don't listen in my opinion.
    RedHoodsDen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RedHoodsDen

Hmmm, maybe my emails to Harras and Didio worked some, lol. I'm content right now. 

RedHoodJT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RedHoodJT

I just wish they would give Jason a chance instead of making it easier on themselves to put him in a book just to boost sales for a little while then "throw him back in Arkahm" for awhile. I think its dumb and extremely unimaginative.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.