Follow

Green Lantern

Concept » Green Lantern appears in 2508 issues.

A Green Lantern is an officer of the intergalactic police force known as the Green Lantern Corps, who have the ability to overcome great fear with the might of willpower. They possess power rings capable of creating constructs characterized by their will and strength to use it. Each Green Lantern is given a Sector of the Universe to protect and it is their priority to suppress any threat against their sector.

Who is the greatest green lantern of all time

• 84 results
    batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By batmarcus

Most people say that it's Hal Jordan but I want multiple peoples opinions on this who is the greatest GL of all time?? Here are some options but pick any GL you can think of:  
    1. Hal Jordan  
    2. John Stewart  
    3. Kyle Rayner  
    4. Guy Gardner  
    5. Sinestro
    6. Kilowog  
    7. Sodam Yat  
    8. Arisia  
    9. Boodikka  
    10. Mogo  
    11. Tomar-Tu  
    12.Laira  
    13. Ganthet     
    14. Tomar-Re     
    15. Alan Scott  
    16. Jade 

Is it any of these beings did I miss your pick tell me who you think is the best GL of all time!!

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By PowerHerc

It's Hal.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Billy Batson

G'Nort. 

BB

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#3  Edited By Deadcool

Alan Scott

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Osiris1428

John Stewart's will exceeds his ring. He is the one Green Lantern who came close to recreating an entire solar system. He can make the hard decisions. He was the first human Guardian.  

SN: If H.E.A.T. didn't come along and retcon everything that Hal did as Parallax (Killing most of the GL Corp. Hey, remember Hal was the one who allowed fear into his heart so Parallax could get in there in the first place) would any of you still look at Hal as "the best"?

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By Samimista

John Stewart and Kyle Rayner

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By castleking

I used to like Hal but started to dislike him then Guy was my man especially knowing that Guy should have been and would have been the 1st Green Lantern on earth if not for urgency and distance something Guy loves reminding Hal Jordan every chance he gets. aside from that Guy Gardner is part of an elite GL unit, it's like comparing a Navy Seal to a soldier.

personally at the top of the list is:

Scott Alan ( the 1st and greatest althought technically not a corps member)
    Guy Gardner
    Kyle Rayner(although he only became a Lantern by lucky timing and nothing else)
    John Stewart( his stories are just bad, they could be a whole lot better)
    Hal Jordan(i stop liking him a long time ago)

JCJQLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JCJQLB
     Jade
     Jade
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By castleking

awesome depiction of Jade

No Caption Provided
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By King_Saturn
    Green Lantern Kilowog 

No Caption Provided
    castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By castleking

pffff... what a poozer >_>

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate the statement "the greatest green lantern of all time".........the Corps has been around for thousands of years with millions of members doing who knows what in that history. 

A better statement would be "who is the best current lantern" because really that's the only question that matters. Who is the best right now? 

If that's the question than the answer is obviously Sinestro (following War of the Green Lanterns). He is hands down the most powerful and tactical of all the Green Lanterns. Yes John Stewart had a huge run and accolades for awhile but in the end Sinestro is the best of the Corps. For one he's been recognized as the best by many. Second he took on the entire Corps singlehandidly for awhile. Third he started his own Corps. Fourth he manipulated the Guardians into adding the new laws. Sixth he conquered the Weaponer of Qawd. The list goes on.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Billy Batson

SODAM YAT 

No Caption Provided

BB

Daydream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Daydream

Hal Jordan.

progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By progenitorigin

I gotta go with Hal Jordan.
    progenitorigin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By progenitorigin
    @Osiris1428 said:
    John Stewart's will exceeds his ring. He is the one Green Lantern who came close to recreating an entire solar system. He can make the hard decisions. He was the first human Guardian.  

SN: If H.E.A.T. didn't come along and retcon everything that Hal did as Parallax (Killing most of the GL Corp. Hey, remember Hal was the one who allowed fear into his heart so Parallax could get in there in the first place) would any of you still look at Hal as "the best"?

I don't think it's necessarily that Hal has pure of heart that gives him his popularity, he's just a great character with his own faults, just as John Stewart's a great character.  Emerald Twilight was a great arc, btw.
    YoungGunna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By YoungGunna
    JOHN STEWART 
    JOHN STEWART 
    batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By batmarcus
    @Billy Batson said:

SODAM YAT 

No Caption Provided

BB

I really have to disagree here Sodam Yat was a pretty big let down for me I mean he was supposed to be the greatest Lantern ever according to the guardians and Superboy Prime would have killed him if it were not for Guy Gardner and John Stewart
    Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#18  Edited By Dracade102
    No Caption Provided
    batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By batmarcus

My favorite has to be:   
    Kyle Rayner:  

No Caption Provided
    I mean he did restart the Corps and bring the guardians back to life also he was the very first being to become ION that we know of anyway
    utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By utotheg38

hal

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Billy Batson
    @Batmarcus said:
    @Billy Batson said:

SODAM YAT 

No Caption Provided

BB

I really have to disagree here Sodam Yat was a pretty big let down for me I mean he was supposed to be the greatest Lantern ever according to the guardians and Superboy Prime would have killed him if it were not for Guy Gardner and John Stewart

He'll be the greatest GL in the future :p 

BB

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By velle37

Mogo.............. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
    deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hal.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Hal or Kyle I like them both it is hard to choose.

Darkseid Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Darkseid Elite

Sodam Yat and John Stewart.
    Westlife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Westlife

Sinestro 
    then Hal 
    Then John 
    Then Mogo 
    Kilowog

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#27  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @progenitor said:
    @Osiris1428 said:

I don't think it's necessarily that Hal has pure of heart that gives him his popularity, he's just a great character with his own faults, just as John Stewart's a great character.  Emerald Twilight was a great arc, btw.

exactly.  and John isnt perfect himself. He did blow up Xanshi, and it wasnt even out of maniacal grief and/or possesion from a the entity of fear.he was  just being an arrogant tool. 

Its between hal and kyle for me
    ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ssejllenrad

Hal is the definitive Green Lantern both in and out of comics. But the greatest for me has to be Kyle. His actions at the end of HOG is a pretty much the deciding factor for me.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Billy Batson

Tbh it's Hal but Sodam Yat will be the greatest. 

BB

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Osiris1428
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @progenitor said:
    @Osiris1428 said:

exactly.  and John isn't perfect himself. He did blow up Xanshi, and it wasn't even out of maniacal grief and/or possession from a the entity of fear. He was  just being an arrogant tool.  Its between Hal and Kyle for me
    You don't read comics, do you?  
    Green Lantern   John Stewart joined the Martian Manhunter in investigating Xanshi where they found the inhabitants stricken with a communicable disease. Stewart decided to venture ahead without J'onn J'onzz as the Anti-Life Equation had begun to manipulate the weather as well as turned it against them. During his investigation, Stewart discovered a   Blink Bomb   in the planet's core which threatened to destroy it and worse was the fact that it was coated in the color yellow. This prevented him from stopping the doomsday device which exploded and devastated Xanshi as well as sending it crashing into its sun thus killing all the native inhabitants.   

Yeah, because of the maniacal grief, it's okay that Hal went off to kill all the Green Lanterns for personal gain. Xanshi is basically not John Stewart's fault.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @progenitor said:
    @Osiris1428 said:

exactly.  and John isn't perfect himself. He did blow up Xanshi, and it wasn't even out of maniacal grief and/or possession from a the entity of fear. He was  just being an arrogant tool.  Its between Hal and Kyle for me
    Green Lantern   John Stewart joined the Martian Manhunter in investigating Xanshi where they found the inhabitants stricken with a communicable disease. Stewart decided to venture ahead without J'onn J'onzz as the Anti-Life Equation had begun to manipulate the weather as well as turned it against them. During his investigation, Stewart discovered a   Blink Bomb   in the planet's core which threatened to destroy it and worse was the fact that it was coated in the color yellow. This prevented him from stopping the doomsday device which exploded and devastated Xanshi as well as sending it crashing into its sun thus killing all the native inhabitants.    Yeah, because of the maniacal grief, it's okay that Hal went off to kill all the Green Lanterns for personal gain. Xanshi is basically not John Stewart's fault.

i know damn well what happened. john overestimated his abilities and went off on his own. i never said what Hal did was okay or excusable but it was understandable.
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @progenitor said:
    @Osiris1428 said:

Green Lantern   John Stewart joined the Martian Manhunter in investigating Xanshi where they found the inhabitants stricken with a communicable disease. Stewart decided to venture ahead without J'onn J'onzz as the Anti-Life Equation had begun to manipulate the weather as well as turned it against them. During his investigation, Stewart discovered a   Blink Bomb   in the planet's core which threatened to destroy it and worse was the fact that it was coated in the color yellow. This prevented him from stopping the doomsday device which exploded and devastated Xanshi as well as sending it crashing into its sun thus killing all the native inhabitants.    Yeah, because of the maniacal grief, it's okay that Hal went off to kill all the Green Lanterns for personal gain. Xanshi is basically not John Stewart's fault.

when you act like an arrogant douche and refuse all help in situations like this then yes iit is at least partially 

yep cuz its not like j'onn vast expertise or not yellow-weakened super human strength could've helped much.............nope  only john and his douchey self-promoting monolouges.  an yippee for trapping your own teamate andf blasting him back to earth....awesome.
    velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By velle37
    @Avenging-X-Bolt  

When in comics is dialogue so blatantly one sided like this? 

Obviously the scene was orchestrated by the writer for the purpose of defamation.

John Stewart hasn't acted like this at any other time but this. Neither has Martian Manhunter been so pejorative either.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SpidermanWins

Kyle Rayner IMO but shouldn't this be in the Gen. Discussion Forum?

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @velle37 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt  

Obviously the scene was orchestrated by the writer for the purpose of defamation.

John Stewart hasn't acted like this at any other time but this. Neither has Martian Manhunter been so pejorative either.

guess he learned from his mistakes. he seemed pretty toolish iin his first appearence but thats pretty much all ive read of him so i wont judge. 

as for mm given the situation id be pretty pissed off too.
    Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Osiris1428
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @velle37 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt  

guess he learned from his mistakes. he seemed pretty toolish iin his first appearence but thats pretty much all ive read of him so i wont judge.  as for mm given the situation id be pretty pissed off too.
    Seriously, @Velle has a great point. That one mistake written by that d!ck writer now defines everything that John is, but Hal basically becoming the DC Darth Vader...yeah, lets just forget about all that...yeah, it's the "dark side's" fault...whatever...
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Osiris1428 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @velle37 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt  

guess he learned from his mistakes. he seemed pretty toolish iin his first appearence but thats pretty much all ive read of him so i wont judge.  as for mm given the situation id be pretty pissed off too.
    Seriously, @Velle has a great point. That one mistake written by that d!ck writer now defines everything that John is, but Hal basically becoming the DC Darth Vader...yeah, lets just forget about all that...yeah, it's the "dark side's" fault...whatever...

hmmmmmm, i guess i can understand that, writers canbe f$%^$d sometimes.. i guess we can bury it.
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

#38  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Batmarcus said:
    My favorite has to be:   
    Kyle Rayner:  
    No Caption Provided
    I mean he did restart the Corps and bring the guardians back to life also he was the very first being to become ION that we know of anyway
    I am a Kyle fan as well.  If Geoff Johns didn't have attachment to Hal and rewrote history, Hal would be remembered as the Lantern that couldn't see books and had two series canceled and a third on the way if it was not for Kyle.  Kyle was needed to keep the mythos alive and that is why he is the Torchbearer, Hal was a murder and I would call racist with the whole Pie Face bit.  When I think Green Lantern I think Kyle.   
    Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

#39  Edited By Silkcuts
    @Billy Batson said:

BB

With the DCU going away from Alan Moore Mythos, I am likely to believe Yat will not be the greatest since Alan Moore created him in Tygers, which was first printed in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2 in 1986.  Didn't Mogo die as well?  Another Moore creation.
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
    @Silkcuts said:
    @Batmarcus said:
    My favorite has to be:   
    Kyle Rayner:  

I am a Kyle fan as well.  If Geoff Johns didn't have attachment to Hal and rewrote history, Hal would be remembered as the Lantern that couldn't see books and had two series canceled and a third on the way if it was not for Kyle.  Kyle was needed to keep the mythos alive and that is why he is the Torchbearer, Hal was a murder and I would call racist with the whole Pie Face bit.  When I think Green Lantern I think Kyle.   

Hal wasnt a racist. Tom was Hal's best friend. that was an unfortunate nickname brought in by writer gil kane and was eventually scrapped once writers realized how offensive it was.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Billy Batson
    @Silkcuts said:
    @Billy Batson said:

BB

With the DCU going away from Alan Moore Mythos, I am likely to believe Yat will not be the greatest since Alan Moore created him in Tygers, which was first printed in Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2 in 1986.  Didn't Mogo die as well?  Another Moore creation.

Yeah I read the story. So is Yat leaving the DCU? Haven't been keeping up with the revamp. 

BB

velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By velle37
    @Silkcuts said:
    @Billy Batson said:

BB

Where did you hear this?
    velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By velle37
    @Avenging-X-Bolt said:
    @velle37 said:
    @Avenging-X-Bolt  

John had several appearances before this. His first appearance, JLA christmas, GL/GA team up, then replacing Hal in 182 up until COIE and throughout the GLC (which ended at 224), along with several other appearances in other books. 

Then the Xanshi incident happened, after they already killed his wife. This instance was completely out of character.
    batmarcus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By batmarcus
    @Silkcuts said:
    @Batmarcus said:
    My favorite has to be:   
    Kyle Rayner:  
    No Caption Provided
    That's my point Kyle was for a long time the "last" Green Lantern and the corps Tourchbarer and then he became ION and brought the corps and the Guardians back to life.
    difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By difficlus
    @Samimista said:
    John Stewart and Kyle Rayner
    even though John killed Mogo and destroyed a star system. pretty much this...
    Seth_Olympia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Seth_Olympia

Mogo

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#48  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    Hal Jordan.
    rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By rogue_mar1e

Kyle!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By longbowhunter

Maybe not the greatest, but he's the most entertaining. My favorite is definitely Guy! 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.