What do you think about writing noves?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Personally, novel writing hasn't crossed my mind until fairly recently, and I was thinking of getting into it. I know that just because I read a lot of books, that doesn't mean I'm able to write one myself, but I am motivated by the challenge. I know that only 1-2% of a person's work ever gets published, and the very idea of that small a number of works making it into people's hands made me respect my favorite authors even more. The only problem is that actually getting published is such a difficult process.

Currently, I'm writing a story that I've been working on for about 15 months. I hope to have it finished soon.

What do you all think?

Yokergeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the book about?

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twentyfive

@supernategames: It's pretty much Sci-Fi story taking place thousands of years after an event (a war, as usual) that forces a race of beings off a planet, and now humans discover the planet, and discover the circumstances that caused the event, and what it means for the future of the various other beings in the galazy. Something like that. There is much more to it.

I know Sci-Fi can turn people away from a story, and it has for me sometimes, but it is still my favorite genre. I love speculating on the future of the world and such.

And in my first post I said I was thinking about getting into it fairly recently. This story of mine started out as a Green Lantern fan fiction, since GL is pretty much DC's ultimate sci fi character, but I turned it into it's own thing without superpowers.

Nightcraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Depends entirely on your writing style. You want to be as engaging as possible and to not make your reader feel exhausted after reading only a page or two.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Twentyfive
Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I once planned to write a 310-page story. I made it to about 196 pages, but lost steam after that. Hopefully, I'll go back to it one day.

Basically, make sure it's a story you're passionate about.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@veshark: would you do it for a scooby snack?

Veshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

You could self publish.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Twentyfive

@thespiritstalker: You are absolutely right. I'm going to look into that. How much money will it take? I know it will take loads of time to edit the book myself, but I have no idea about money. It must cost alot to make many copies of your book and publish it yourself.

KingOfAsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By KingOfAsh

Good idea. My sisters writing a book and she's a good way through it. I plan to do books & comics myself.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

I keep trying to think of good ideas, but everything's been done.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's a nove?

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@thespiritstalker: You are absolutely right. I'm going to look into that. How much money will it take? I know it will take loads of time to edit the book myself, but I have no idea about money. It must cost alot to make many copies of your book and publish it yourself.

I was thinking ebooks would be more efficient however you would have to market it yourself (I think). Or you could try the old fashion way and pitch your story to a company, you would make more money this way. Also find people to critique your work (plot, grammar and stuff) because writing a novel or screen play should have a good structure or your agent will immediately throw it away coz they get a lot of manuscripts. If you're not sure I recommend the book 'Story Engineering' by Larry Brooks.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thespiritstalker: Thank you very much for the advice.

@nerdork: Apparently, I need to hire a ghostwriter for some of my posts. LOL. I wrote "galazy" in one of my posts up there. Haha.