Follow

X-Men

Team » X-Men appears in 13420 issues.

The X-Men are a superhero team of mutants founded by Professor Charles Xavier. They are dedicated to helping fellow mutants and sworn to protect a world that fears and hates them.

Random character versus : Cable vs Psylocke

PayneInTheAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Random character versus : Cable vs Psylocke (16 votes)

Cable 38%
    Psylocke 63%
    No Caption Provided

-Obviously not a battle-

Just a random comparision between these two, throughout the years, who do you think has had better development, or just flat out who do you think is the more interesting character overall?

• 
    Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

They've got 2 of the most convoluted backstories of the X-Men. I prefer Cable as the hardened, elder warrior and think it was poop to replace him with baby Cable. I'm excited for what lies ahead for Betsy as she rediscovers herself while leading Excalibur and taking front and center in X of Swords.

(I am assuming you mean Betsy Braddock and not Kwannon who currently calls herself Psylocke)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally? Cable.

I mean not to knock Psylocke because she has a very nice niche in the X-Verse as the badass woman who's life is just NOT EASY. Her brothers, her lover, her own body and mind have all been things she's battled with....and even after these arcs end....they don't ever really end.

Archangel is still around, Jamie is still crazy, Brian still makes her be the adult, her body is still something she's not comfortable in and she's constantly guilt ridden about one thing or another...

Betsy is a great female protagonist, because in all her story arcs (even from before she was an X-Man) she's a character barely dealing with her own shit while trying to keep everyone else from losing theres.

Cable though?

He's a better ideal of a character journey.

His entire life started as one villain scheming against another.

He's the child of the second oldest couple in Marvel and possesses this massive power and destiny because of it.

Before he could learn to talk he's infected with a virus that will kill one day kill him.

What started as a villain making a kid to take out another villain, ended up becoming the beginnings of a prophesized destiny to save the future. One that KEEPS driving him because he never seems to be able to complete it. In fact on every level and in almost every incarnation from the 80s to the 00's Cable is painted as a man who has a huge destiny he has yet to achieve.... so he keeps fighting even after it should be complete.....

He killed Apocalypse as kid BUT he's destined for more, he freed the future from his clone BUT he has more to do, he goes back in time to prevent the future from ever happening BUT afterwards is left with the power to shape the world with his fully unlocked powers. He's shown the world what unity and selflessness can do by giving up his God-Level powers only to rejoin the X-Men because after all of that his destiny as a world changing savior SHOULD be complete....BUT what does he become after that?

A father figure to a person who was given this same destiny.

Idk....Psylocke has better stories and quicker arcs but they don't tie together....theyre like snapshots of what a season of a Psylocke TV show could be.

Whereas Cable has an epic heroic journey where you watch him grow and change himself and others because of it..... and because of that, he's the more entertaining character to read in their entirety

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By cattlebattle  Online

Cable sucks.

He is the epitome of all the popular sci fi tropes of the late 80s/early 90s. He is a cloned, cyborg, turbo warrior, muscle man from a dystopian future. I am sort of shocked they didn't name him "Cade Kombat" or something.

He's also extremely inconsistent. Sometimes he is depicted as older, grizzled veteran of future wars and other times he is depicted as younger, wise messiah of mutantkind.

The link to the Summers family (him being baby Nathan) never made much sense either, he's like physically gigantic, white haired and blue eyed, and Cyclops and Maddie's baby's name was originally "Christopher"....he seems to be more like Nathaniel Richards than anyone else.....hmmm, it's almost like he was originally intended to be related to him first....hmmmm......

Anyways, as someone mentioned, I wouldn't mind as much if Cable had just remained closer to his original version, where he was a mercenary who was prepping young mutants for war, but the whole Summers family retcon was just too much for no reason. It also kind of wrecked interesting details of other characters like Apocalypse and Sinister as well.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Currently, though, I have a preference of Betsy currently over Cable due to the youthful change vs Betsy going back to her original body. Where Betsy opened up new arcs for herself, Cable is sort of restricted within a sphere where Cable can’t go beyond the boundaries of his older self without messing with the timeline.

devilsgrin81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Psylocke, easily. I find Cable to be one of the most boring characters in Marveldom. Made even worse by the ridiculousness of the Summers-Grey family tree.

Psylocke is also one of my very favourite characters (top 3 in fact). And compared to Cable, our adrenaline junkie Betsy is infinitely more interesting.

Thunderscream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderscream: That one was a weird time. Clones and a bloodlustful Psylocke against God Fantomex. It was really weird.

Invain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I only really cared for Cable during his early New Mutants appearance. Psylocke was interesting during the 80s, 90s, and 10s.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.