Follow

Wolverine

Character » Wolverine appears in 16091 issues.

A long-lived mutant with the rage of a beast and the soul of a Samurai, James "Logan" Howlett's once mysterious past is filled with blood, war, and betrayal. Possessing an accelerated healing factor, keenly enhanced senses, and bone claws in each hand (along with his skeleton) that are coated in adamantium; Wolverine is, without question, the ultimate weapon.

Wolverine is a Lupine not a Mutant?

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DEGRAAF

K i was looking around for information on DC retconning the Super boy origin and found this, So now Wolverine isnt a mutant just a wolf person? ive been reading origins for a while now but didnt [ick it up from the beginning, is this true? 

Wolverine

Wolverine's entire history is just one crappy retcon piled on top of another. How's this for a start? Wolverine was originally meant to be an actual wolverine, who had been turned into a human by the high evolutionary, and his claws were part of his gloves. Then the claws became implants created by Weapon X, and he was a mutant. Then he was meant to be Sabertooth's son. Then it turns out he'd had bone claws all along, and they were just covered up with metal. Recently, however, things have started getting even weirder for Logan.

It turns out Wolverine now isn't a mutant, but rather a Lupine, a human looking species that evolved in parallel to humans — but from wolves, not apes. And there are two tribes: one with blond hair, the other with dark hair, and they hate each other — which is why Sabertooth hates Wolverine so much. They're not the only two, either — other Lupine's include Wolfsbane, Feral, Wild Child and Thornn. So pretty much ever feral mutant isn't actually a mutant, but a wolf person. They're all being manipulated by an almost immortal elder Lupine called Romulus.

Wolverine's healing factor has also suffered from major power creep over the years, expanding from "he can heal faster than most", to "was left as a skeleton after a major explosion, and healed completely within seconds." So to de-power him slightly, a retcon established that every time he dies, Wolverine has to fight the spirit of death to return to the living. Since WWI, he has been in constant combat with a being known as Lazaer (the worst anagram since Alucard), and his soul cannot return to his body unless he defeats Lazaer in limbo, each time. After some jiggerypokery with the resurrected version Shingen, Lazaer and Wolverine ended their constant battle — so if Wolverine dies again, it's for real.    

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By Erik

He is a human mutant with an undisclosed amount of Lupine ancestry. 

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Hawk

Sigh........someone needs to stop all this crap.

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By John Valentine

Ah, not that Loeb rubbish.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Lupines are mutants.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Erik

It is rubbish and will probably be ignored and contradicted in the future. 

castleking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By castleking
    well to clear some stuff up...

the wolverine human thing was only an idea that never saw print so no retcon.... the glove thing again was never stated on panel and again never saw print they were just creator's ideas and not actually added as part of his story so no retcon either...

but the Lupine and death thing well eventually something gets past editors and makes it to print,,,, sigh......

those writers must have had quiet a silver tongue to talk ppl into it
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @Hawk:
    im just asking a question. I think it is crap as well
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Erik
    @DEGRAAF said:
    " @Hawk: im just asking a question. I think it is crap as well "
    It was such crap, even Wolverine called BS. 
    Noumenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Noumenon

The "wolverine evolved to a human" thing didn't see print but the clues to their idea remain unresolved. In X-Men #103, Wolverine says he doesn't believe in leprechauns, to which a leprechaun replies, "Maybe leprechauns don't believe in talkin' wolverines, either." In X-Men #98 when Wolverine, Banshee and Jean Grey are captured the director of Project Armageddon, Dr. Steven Lang, inspects the examinations of the mutants. Interestingly, Wolverine's readings are totally unlike the rest of the mutant readings, leading one researcher to doubt his mutant status.  I believe the readings being unlike the others is what they're using for the current lupine origin.  Why Cerebro identified Wolverine as a mutant has yet to be explained.

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont see what the problem is. the stories really havent changed as a result.
    Wolverine hasnt turned into a wolf and is running around peeing on fire hydrants.
    its about as important as his name changing from Logan to James. it isnt.
    he's never actually had a definitive history, and maybe never will. 
    why every detail associated with Wolverine freaks people out i will never 
    understand. 

- he's a lupine
    - Romulus and him look alike
    - Sabretooth was originally said to be his father 
    - he has kids, theyre copycats!
    - he's way too skilled
    - he's way too underskilled
    - he lost his adamantium
    - he regained his adamantium 
    - he beat this character
    - this character beat him
    - OMG!!! he has a new costume
    - James Howlett
    - he's appearing in a book or on a cover  
    - he's a member of X-men...and Avengers? dude thats like every book in the whole world!
    - he's popular because alot of people like him
    - he killed Kenny! those bastards!
    - ect.  

so what? at least he didnt lose his nose again, now that was ridiculous!
    his current stories are still tight as hell!

as for why i believe its based on the same concept in Paradise X directly.
    it really didnt make much of a difference their either.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By DEGRAAF

no i actually think i like the idea of him being a lupin, i think it helps explain alot. With that kind of background that are tons of stories that can be told. He could end up being the prince or king in a long blood line of lupin royalty. or a mutant lupin or a lupin human hybrid mutant

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Watch Dog

I liked the angel of death story I mean come on something had to be done about his out of control healing factor 

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@DEGRAAF said:
    " no i actually think i like the idea of him being a lupin, i think it helps explain alot. With that kind of background that are tons of stories that can be told. He could end up being the prince or king in a long blood line of lupin royalty. or a mutant lupin or a lupin human hybrid mutant "
    can tell if your addressing me, seems like it, 
    but i wasnt addressing you since you werent complaining. 
    really though it means next to nothing. ive been reading all of the 
    Wolverine books since the late 80's. this isnt a factor in any of the 
    stories thats important, if even used. i wouldnt mind if they did
    put some focus on it like in Paradise X though.
    Sovereign Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Sovereign Son

- he lost his adamantium
    - he regained his adamantium   

LOL i loved and hated when marvel did that .

Bobby X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By Bobby X
    @Vance Astro said:
    "Lupines are mutants. "

Exactly. That's how I took it anyways. The Lupines are just a different and common type of mutant, just a particular race of homo superior. Makes perfect sense to me and doesn't change Logan's status as a mutant. Only thing I have been upset with is the plot in that storyline. Wildchild (just in general), Sabes killed off (boo), and Romulus has been a huge letdown since his reveal.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @CATMANEXE:
    yes and no, my reply was based off of yours but it was directly towards you 

@Bobby X:
    yea i was expecting more. I thought he looked cool, and i also thought that they were gonna say that Romulus was the father to all people like them (except for x-23 and Daken), i was thinking that Romulus's (claws the metal ones) should have been implanted to stick out like that and not on gloves. I also wanted him to play a bigger role, almost take over as a more vicious and superior sabertooth
    Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Watch Dog
    @Bobby X said:

" @Vance Astro said:

"Lupines are mutants. "

Exactly. That's how I took it anyways. The Lupines are just a different and common type of mutant, just a particular race of homo superior. Makes perfect sense to me and doesn't change Logan's status as a mutant. Only thing I have been upset with is the plot in that storyline. Wildchild (just in general), Sabes killed off (boo), and Romulus has been a huge letdown since his reveal. "
    I agree.  It's  like Physics or Shape Shifters

@DEGRAAF: I was a little disappointed in  Romulus as well. I was hoping for something more imperial and refined yet  brutal and unforgiving sort of like Coligula. When I read that Lupine story I got a very Romen emperer feel from him.
    Avatar image for madripooreconomy
    MadripoorEconomy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By MadripoorEconomy

The Lupine thing is just really stupid.  I can't wait until the abortion of a series Wolverine: Origins is over.  Romulus is quite simply a stupid idea - where's Remus?  I mean if you are going to do the lupine thing (with a person named Sabretooth - cats, dogs, whatever) then shouldn't he have a brother named Remus that was also brought up by wolves?  I think a four year old could think up a better storyline right before bedtime.

AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AngelFrost
    Wolverine is a stupid, over-rated character.
    Avatar image for rosencrantz_guildenstern
    Rosencrantz&Guildenstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AngelFrost: Uh-uh, lady. The writers who are ruining Wolvie are the stupid ones, big difference! Hmm, I could use a bubble gum myself right now...;)
    Jotham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22  Edited By Jotham

I just ignore this BS. Who cares if the editors or writers want to make some stupid origin? I don't have to acknowledge it.

Joeybagad0nutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Joeybagad0nutz
    @MadripoorEconomy said:

"The Lupine thing is just really stupid.  I can't wait until the abortion of a series Wolverine: Origins is over.  Romulus is quite simply a stupid idea - where's Remus?  I mean if you are going to do the lupine thing (with a person named Sabretooth - cats, dogs, whatever) then shouldn't he have a brother named Remus that was also brought up by wolves?  I think a four year old could think up a better storyline right before bedtime. "

Lol, I thought the same thing. You got a Romulus, you tie him down as an Emperor of Rome, but where is Remus? You gotta have a Remus if you have a Romulus. But, sadly no....
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AngelFrost
    @Rosencrantz&Guildenstern:   Yeah, but the writers control the character -_-  and I hate all aspects of Wolverine, lol.
    Avatar image for ultimatedeadpool
    DEADPOOL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By DEADPOOL
    @Watch Dog said:

" I liked the angel of death story I mean come on something had to be done about his out of control healing factor  "

I don't understand how beating an angel of death makes him heal faster or slower. Marvel's staff should just come together and makes guidelines to Wolverine's healing factor. Like if he gets stabbed by an eight inch knife it'll take him 5 minutes to heal, stuff like that.  

@MadripoorEconomy

said:

" The Lupine thing is just really stupid.  I can't wait until the abortion of a series Wolverine: Origins is over.  Romulus is quite simply a stupid idea - where's Remus?  I mean if you are going to do the lupine thing (with a person named Sabretooth - cats, dogs, whatever) then shouldn't he have a brother named Remus that was also brought up by wolves?  I think a four year old could think up a better storyline right before bedtime. "

Hmm... maybe Remus is the leader of the light-haired Lupines? 

But yeah, I don't like the idea of more Wolverines, and every animalistic mutant being a Lupine doesn't add up. Wolverine, Daken, X-23, Romulus, all of them have the same powers. Sabretooth has similar powers, but not the same. Wolfsbane, Feral, etc., are even more different. 

So wait, does this make Deadpool part Lupine?

@JoeRiccadonna

said:

" @MadripoorEconomy said:

"The Lupine thing is just really stupid.  I can't wait until the abortion of a series Wolverine: Origins is over.  Romulus is quite simply a stupid idea - where's Remus?  I mean if you are going to do the lupine thing (with a person named Sabretooth - cats, dogs, whatever) then shouldn't he have a brother named Remus that was also brought up by wolves?  I think a four year old could think up a better storyline right before bedtime. "

Lol, I thought the same thing. You got a Romulus, you tie him down as an Emperor of Rome, but where is Remus? You gotta have a Remus if you have a Romulus. But, sadly no.... "
      Well don't forget that, according to Roman legend, Romulus killed Remus.
    DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @DEADPOOL said:

@MadripoorEconomy

said:

" The Lupine thing is just really stupid.  I can't wait until the abortion of a series Wolverine: Origins is over.  Romulus is quite simply a stupid idea - where's Remus?  I mean if you are going to do the lupine thing (with a person named Sabretooth - cats, dogs, whatever) then shouldn't he have a brother named Remus that was also brought up by wolves?  I think a four year old could think up a better storyline right before bedtime. "

Hmm... maybe Remus is the leader of the light-haired Lupines? 

But yeah, I don't like the idea of more Wolverines, and every animalistic mutant being a Lupine doesn't add up. Wolverine, Daken, X-23, Romulus, all of them have the same powers. Sabretooth has similar powers, but not the same. Wolfsbane, Feral, etc., are even more different. 

So wait, does this make Deadpool part Lupine?

It makes sense that they would all have similar abilities since most of them are blood reletives and with such a small amount of them still alive, i would expect nothing short of this happening. the animals that survive a epidemic all hace the same or very similar traits. Something would of had to kill them off as a species other wise they would be ruling the world since they live so long.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#27  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @AngelFrost:  hating wolverine completly , there is much darkness in you lol
    E.I.S.A.M.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By E.I.S.A.M.

Why bother getting to know anything about wolverine's history? It's just gonna change by the years end. 
    The Romulus story, Rulk... that's Jeff Loeb people. The man who is lending a very large hand in the destruction of Marvel Comics.  
    Green Goblin, Doctor Doom, the Red Skull, Kang the Conquerer, and the Purple Man have nothing on Loeb, the ultimate super villain.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By DEGRAAF
    @E.I.S.A.M.:

what does Rulk have to do with Wolverine?
    Constantine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Constantine

if theyre are tribes of light and dark hair why has Wolverine got a blonde son

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By sora_thekey

Let's say that this Lupine crap is true... 
    Does that mean that X-23 and Daken are Lupines too?
    XDespairX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By XDespairX
    @JoeRiccadonna said:

" @MadripoorEconomy said:

Lol, I thought the same thing. You got a Romulus, you tie him down as an Emperor of Rome, but where is Remus? You gotta have a Remus if you have a Romulus. But, sadly no.... "
    Well, it was said that the two tribes battle each other and that the cha,mpion of the one wil slay the other, maybe Romulus slew Remus like Wolvie slew Sabertooth?
    XDespairX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By XDespairX
    @sora_thekey said:
    " Let's say that this Lupine crap is true... Does that mean that X-23 and Daken are Lupines too? "
    Technically I woud say they are at least half lupines because both were born by human (or at least I think so) mothers. X-23 is a clone but she was carried out and was given birth by a woman, Daken is the natural son of Logan and a Japanese woman. Only reason for them to be full Lupines would be that their mothers were Lupines too or it works like the X-Gene with skipping generations and stuff.

More important: Maybe Romulus is NOT Wolvie's faher... Does that mean the gardener was a Lupine too?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By sora_thekey
    @Constantine said:
    "if theyre are tribes of light and dark hair why has Wolverine got a blonde son "

He's not blond! 

Wait so wouldn't it mean that lupines are just mutants? or another species of mutants? kind of like the secondary mutations that hav been appearing?
    XDespairX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By XDespairX
    @sora_thekey said:
    "He's not blond!  Wait so wouldn't it mean that lupines are just mutants? or another species of mutants? kind of like the secondary mutations that hav been appearing? "
    I don't honestly know, it's a hard case of semantics and definitions here. It could be a recessive gene that brings forth the Lupines but that alone would not make them mutants in the wordly sense (but very much another species of mutants as you have already suggested) because mutants are defined over their X-gene. Or maybe future writers will screw up big time and just say they are not "human mutants" but "Lupine mutants" (silly I know).
    kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By kheranlord12
    @John Valentine said:
    " Ah, not that Loeb rubbish. "
    i think is good
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Erik
    @erik said:
    " He is a human mutant with an undisclosed amount of Lupine ancestry.  "
    bmank17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By bmank17

wow, that is way too much

AizenN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AizenN

I think Ol wolvie is a mutant, but one thing hade thinking forever and bugging me whenever I go to sleep...

is spiderman a mutant or what?

WoundingFactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WoundingFactor

Since Lupines are a humanoid evolution of canine creatures, they aren't mutants in regards to humanity. They're an example of a misunderstanding of parallel evolution, and should have completely different DNA, which should have shown up in one of the hundreds of times that Wolverine's blood has been taken and analyzed. So, right now, Lupines = bad science + bad writing (at least, assuming that Wolverine genuinely is one). Now watch this:

Lupines are a "parallel evolution" that came from canine animals and ended up looking very similar to humanity. Wolverine is a Lupine. Some years from now, maybe even a decade, Marvel will feature a story in which the High Evolutionary goes back in time and creates the Lupine race, thus, in an extremely roundabout way, making part of his "original origin" true. 

In all seriousness, I hope this never happens, but I wouldn't put it past Marvel, and in the event that this happens, the same day that such a story hits comic book shelves will be the last day I buy a Wolverine title of any kind. Fortunately, it's much more likely that Marvel will either drop the lupine idea entirely, make them into a group of people who were experimented on by Romulus back in ancient times, or they'll just decide that Romulus was full of it and that the Lupine were a complete fabrication. Personally, I'm hoping for my second option here, because I'd love to see a bunch of healing factor-endowed feral guys hunting down Wolverine in a pack at some point, and maybe doing the same to Daken and any other "Lupines" they judge to be unworthy.

thundrull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Refer to the brood storyline, where mutants are implanted with eggs.

boomalex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lupines are a part of the mutant race. Just as Caucasian is a part of the human race. Deal. And remus has shown up.

MiniSaladFresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saying, the claim that Wolverine was originally going to be an actual wolverine who had been experimented on was directly denied by Wolverine creator Len Wein. When the Death of Wolverine thing was happening last year there was an interview with Wein where he explicitly said that somebody on the internet just made that up, Wolverine was always going to be a human/mutant.

Don't know how this wrong information traveled around so much, it was even featured as a little "fun fact" in the loading screen for the Wolverine video game (nice fact-checking there Raven Software).

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.