Follow

Punisher

Character » Punisher appears in 2804 issues.

When U.S. Marine veteran Frank Castle's family's was murdered for witnessing a mob hit, the man vowed to avenge their deaths and became a one-man army in his personal war against the criminal underworld. With a distinct death's head skull adorning his chest, Frank Castle became the vigilante known as the Punisher.

Punisher MAX #5 outsells Punisher/Frankencastle #15 in March 2010

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By jamesewelch

As a long time fan of Frank Castle, I've been keeping track of the monthly statistics provided by John Jackson Miller at The Comics Chronicles (www.comichron.com) for the Punisher titles since the introduction of  the polarizing Frankencastle. I'ved asked my LCBS owner about the sales and he's said a few people dropped Punisher title after Frankencastle, but about the same number of people picked it up, so the shop's sales have balanced out.

Do you think PunisherMAX will continue to out sale Punisher/Frankencastle or was March just a bad month for Frankencastle?

What do you think this means for Frank?

March 2010

TitleRank (Top Est Sales)
    Estimated Sales
     Punisher/Frankencastle #15
     #93 22,286
     Punisher MAX #5
     #91 22,432

No Caption Provided

Source Data:  http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2010/2010-03.html
    Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Brit

MAX is better than the Frankencastle crap. So I think it will outsell it until the series is canceled due to low sales or by public demand.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

I think it means Remender needs to fix his error, NOW.

Brit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Brit

What I think he needs is a kick in the balls...

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Caligula

i think people are too stubborn to give frankencastle a chance, it is not that bad, hell not that bad.... it's not bad at all the art is great the writing is top notch, and most of the people who bash it haven't even read it.

and mainstream comics readers tinkle their pants and whine every time some one tries something new and creative.

jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By jamesewelch

I don't think that Frankencastle, specifically, is reason for the main title's drop in sales. There wasn't a heavy drop after Frank died and became Frankencastle. Rather, there's just been a steady decrease in sales. The MAX title also has a steady decrease in sales, but it's been less of a change over the last few issues.

Since MAX#2 (Dec09), it's dropped about 700 estimated copies. Since Punisher #12 (Dec09), that title has dropped about 2,700 estimated copies. The main title is just having a harder time retaining it's existing readers and/or picking up newer readers than the MAX title. 

You can't really count the first issues, since those always get more sales than the following issues. Also, Punisher MAX is hovering around the same figures as the last Punisher MAX ( Frank Castle) series, so maybe 20-23k is about the baseline for a Punisher MAX series.

If the main title Punisher (it's getting renamed to Frankencastle soon) drops below 20k, then I believe that's when we'll start to see Marvel do something to bring the title back. I'm thinking that with the rematch versus Daken coming up soon, that'll bring the sales up a notch or two.

Avatar image for deactivated-5af7470263a09
    deactivated-5af7470263a09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Caligula said:

"i think people are too stubborn to give frankencastle a chance, it is not that bad, hell not that bad.... it's not bad at all the art is great the writing is top notch, and most of the people who bash it haven't even read it.  and mainstream comics readers tinkle their pants and whine every time some one tries something new and creative. " 

Fair enough, but think about it from someones point of view who has read about a character  for a long time, grown to like them and got used to them, and then a relativley new writer ( ennis years writing the punisher  : 12 ,Dixon years writing the punisher: 9, Remender years writing the punisher: not even two yet ) comes on board and makes a huge, drastic change to that character. Do you not think that that may not be so well recieved by some readers? Especially when the idea is so wierd and the character is so well known and so time honored. Long time readers of whatever book have a right to judge it in whatever way they wish in my opinion.
    @Brit said:
    "What I think he needs is a kick in the balls... "

With some serious help from a psychiatrist to follow. And then then everyone involved in frankencastle. (except Dan Brown, hes an excellent colorist no matter what he does)
    I think if one of them is gonna suffer it'll most likely be Frankencastle, (it can only last so long) and by all acounts the new Jay Aaron series has been well recieved (so sales will likely be in favor of MAX after a while) If Ennis ever does comes back, The Punisher's books will probably get higher sales because of Ennis's popularity among seasoned readers.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

FrankenCastle actually isn't that bad of a book.However it's not Punisher.It's not what Punisher fans are used to and that for some reason that automatically makes it lame.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.