Follow

Marvel Cinematic Universe

Concept » Marvel Cinematic Universe appears in 146 issues.

Marvel's superhero movie continuity that is shared between several major character franchises.

Was Captain Marvel Physically Stronger Than Thanos?

• 113 results
    Avatar image for immoralimmortal
    immoralimmortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Was Captain Marvel Physically Stronger Than Thanos? (133 votes)

yes 35%
    no 65%

was she really overpowering him in their brief fight? do you think she;s stronger than Thanos?

No Caption Provided

• 
    takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 takenstew22  Moderator

Nah. Thanos was already worn out and was using only one hand. Plus she might have been doing something to the gauntlet.

EmmaFrostXmen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, but there were almost equals

tethadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By tethadam

She stalemated one of Thanos hands so Thanos is 2x stronger than her.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e37510e25a10
    deactivated-5e37510e25a10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say she isn’t tbh. She was getting overpowered in the hut by is very injured arm and she had a position to push with her leg. Because of this it can be argued that something else was going on when she overpowered him in the gauntlet scene (likely absorbing energy from the space stone). In general he is, but they are comparable.

TheVVitchKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes if she’s binary

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overall I would say Thanos but scenario based or using her flight she can match him

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tethadam said:

She stalemated one of Thanos hands so Thanos is 2x stronger than her.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
    deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don’t think so.

phillip33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No unless she’s in an energy amp’d state

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
    deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She was struggling to overpower a Thanos who'd been zapped, punch, nearly torn apart, electrocuted, hit repeatedly by Mjolnir, shot, etc, and that was with her Binary amp.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By uugieboogie

She overpowered one of his hands with two of her own. And she had to use her flight to propel herself up, giving herself more leverage in the process. Thanos is physically more powerful obviously, and this displayed when she's not using her flight and he casually threw her away.

Wot_m8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She used all of her power to hold on his hands back after he was worn out by fighting nearly all of the Avengers. The she got knocked tf out with power stone which even Tony could handle. Thanos stomps her no diff.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of insecure males on here.

She matches him physically for sure but probably is stronger than him in general. He needed the power stone to fight her off. He didn't need any such help when fighting the others.

pastepotpete1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no , i dont like to say "no "because a lot of people are calling danvers a " poor man CW super girl" but i find Thanos terrifying what i find more terrifying if if his planet or race of " immortals" actually lived that would be scary people with more than hulk -like strenght walking around the universe .. i pretty much hate CW super girl and i dont like how she is too inconstistant gets her butt kicked by people who danveurs would mop the floor with but that was really cool to see CW super girl " thunder clap" i think CW super girl is the first live action hero to ever thunder clap

in the comics obviously Thanos his race they werent that strong .. thanos i mena it took him centuries to become that strong ..

Crunch5481

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She overpowered one of his hands with two of her own. And she had to use her flight to propel herself up, giving herself more leverage in the process. Thanos is physically more powerful obviously, and this displayed when she's not using her flight and he casually threw her away.

Redshift_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Redshift_Bacon

@thegerudoking said:

No Caption Provided

She matches him physically for sure but probably is stronger than him in general.

Loading Video...

Yea so I guess its just PIS when he ragdolls her before he has the gauntlet, then holds her entire Upper-Body strength using just his Gripping Strength from 1-arm

He needed the power stone to fight her off.

Yes, because 1 Blast from the power stone is SOimpressive.

Loading Video...

He didn't need any such help when fighting the others.

Loading Video...
    No Caption Provided

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheGerudoKing

@redshift_bacon: and here's proof of the insecurity.

He used her own overreaching to get her off balance and then throw her away a few feet. Nothing to suggest he overpowered her.

I'm not seeing the power stone in that clip of him fighting Wanda. Maybe I missed it. Was it part of his ship? Is it invisible? Confusing.

So yeah, you've done nothing to counter my points. Nice try though, little buddy.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 takenstew22  Moderator

I really hate using the word "SJW", but you're certainly sounding like one.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pastepotpete1: Hulk would like a word with you. The Edward Norton version.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Redshift_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Redshift_Bacon
    @thegerudoking said:

@redshift_bacon: and here's proof of the insecurity.

Ad Hominem is against the rules.

He used her own overreaching to get her off balance and then throw her away a few feet. Nothing to suggest he overpowered her.

Again, he Holds her entire Upper-Body using the Gripping-Strength of 1 Hand, while she was absorbing power from the Gauntlet no less.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

I'm not seeing the power stone in that clip of him fighting Wanda.

Because You didn't say the Power Stone, In your original comment you said (And I quote):

He didn't need any such help when fighting the others.

The power Stone was not an option against any of the other fighters, he didn't have the Gauntlet until his fight with Captain Marvel. However, He had to kill off most of his Army just to survive Wanda. That is called Needing Help to Fight Others.

So yeah, you've done nothing to counter my points. Nice try though, little buddy.

But, You don't have any Points...

Marvelx13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegerudoking: Dumbass I have read straight down and there wasn't a single boy crying about Thanos losing to a girl.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Amendment50

In my opinion she was clearly stronger if not by much. She actually was able to no sell an attack from him while the reverse can't be said for Thanos. People are giving a lot of focus to this one vs. two hand debate while ignoring the fact that she is a fraction of his size and needed both hands just to grip the entire gauntlet. If using two hands would have allowed him to overpower her then there's really no reason he should have needed to resort to the Power Stone in his other hand; as far as I'm concerned the scene was very clear about who was physically dominant in the altercation.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redshift_bacon: yeah he was definitely using the same strength against Steve as he was with Carol. You got me there, Steve is as strong as Carol.

And my remark about his fight with Wanda stands. He didn't need the power stone against her like he did with Carol.

Concede already, you lose.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelx13: you're crying now about my statement.

You lose.

Karkus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There are no insecure males on here, just people analyzing the fight to give their opinion on who they believe is stronger.

Redshift_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Redshift_Bacon

@thegerudoking said:

@redshift_bacon: yeah he was definitely using the same strength against Steve as he was with Carol. You got me there, Steve is as strong as Carol.

That isn't the Point of the Argument. Gripping Strength is far less than a total upper body strength. That is why Steve is able to hold Thanos's Gauntlet Open. That is why Thanos needed to use his extra hand to punch Steve.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

And my remark about his fight with Wanda stands. He didn't need the power stone against her like he did with Carol.

He didn't have the Power Stone against Wanda.His fight against Carol takes place after she destroyed his Flagship, and therefor he did not have it as an Option against CM. Not that it would have worked, because CM and SW are two entirely different types of fighters.

I guess, by your logic, Thanos needed the Power Stone against Iron Man too:

Loading Video...

Concede already, you lose.

That isn't a real argument, and that type of attitude isn't going to get you very far on these forums. Just saying.

By the Way, the Same punch that Incapacitated Captain Marvel:

Loading Video...

Tony took that EXACT Same Punch and stood back up:

Loading Video...

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By takenstew22  Moderator

Again, Thanos was already worn out when he was fighting Captain Marvel. When he put on the gauntlet he was also too busy trying to control the power and CM was holding him down, or arguably absorbing the energies from the gauntlet. He pulled out the power stone because he wanted to end it quickly.

We're not "insecure males" because we think a fictional alien man is stronger than a fictional alien woman. Stop it with that bullshit.

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the strongest thing Thanos did physically? Lift the Hulk? Thanos doesnt have many pure on screen strength feats unassisted (no Stones). Captain Marvel lifted a space ship and landed it on earths atmosphere like she was lifting a storage box from her closet. And she overpowered Thanos with one hand. She is stronger than him.

And can someone explain the head-cannon of absorbing the power from the stones? Has that been confirmed by the writers or directors? I know she was glowing but she she does that as a part of her normal abilities.

EcoBlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdskns4eva: she over powered Thanos with 1 hand? Did we watch the same movie?

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheGerudoKing

@redshift_bacon: again you got me. Now Tony is more durable than Carol. He could've easily crashed through his ship but was just being nice to Thanos and wanted to give Carol something to do.

You heard it here first, ladies. Steve and Tony both superior to Carol in every way.

You guys are funny ?

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By rdskns4eva
    RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 only intelligent one here.

People saying she was leeching the IG are pretty great tho, creative.

Redshift_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Redshift_Bacon
    @rdskns4eva said:

What is the strongest thing Thanos did physically? Lift the Hulk?

Lifting Strength means comparatively nothing in a Fight. Anybody who has been in a real fight knows this.

Better Feats:

1-Shots Black Panther... Black Panther takes comparatively less damage when Hit by a Train and after falling Hundreds of Feat onto said Railway:

No Caption Provided

He also knocks out Hulk in 11 strikes. Hulk tanked (Although not No-Sold) being pushed through a Skyscraper.

Thanos doesnt have many pure on screen strength feats unassisted (no Stones).

This is true, but mostly because his whole gig is acquiring the Stones, so...

And she overpowered Thanos with one hand. She is stronger than him.

False, you have this feat Backwards. Thanos was holding his own against her with 1 Arm:

No Caption Provided

And can someone explain the head-cannon of absorbing the power from the stones? Has that been confirmed by the writers or directors? I know she was glowing but she she does that as a part of her normal abilities.

Its just that, Head-Canon. Mostly because as the Grapple went on, Carol struggled Less than Initially, and Thanos struggled More than initially. However, beyond head-canon, there is no proof to back this up.

@thegerudoking said:

@redshift_bacon: again you got me. Now Tony is more durable than Carol. He could've easily crashed through his ship but the Writers* were just being nice to Carol* and wanted to give Carol something to do.

Fixed. Okay, Satire aside, Thor could have replicated her feat at any point during the Battle:

No Caption Provided

You heard it here first, ladies. Steve and Tony both superior to Carol in every way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Avatar image for deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f
    deactivated-5eadbe7fcf64f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdskns4eva:

Off the top of my head -

Overpowered Hulks grip.

Ragdolls Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Drax and so on with barely any effort usually a throw or pull with one hand.

Crush the tesseract.

Tears off Dr Stranges cloak easily and all traps and tech on Titan, breaks through groots attack easily too.

Rip apart nano tech armor bare handed.

Grabs strombreaker mid TK back to Thor and is seconds from pushing it through his chest.

Holds off Stormbreaker on one knee with one hand while both Thor leveraging with mjolnir and Cap with the power of Thor pull it towards him.

Even after the above manages to stalemate Captain Marvel with the same arm for a period.

A crippled Thanos from two snaps and strombreaker attack while not even caring about fighting anymore, takes 4 heroes to ambush him to subdue him in a grapple including Carol, hulkbuster and War Machine, they still needed Thor to chop his arm off in order to let him go.

KingZod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegerudoking: That awkward moment when all your non existent arguments have been absolutely destroyed.

The desperate sexist angle is even more pathetic, but everyone's "woke" nowadays so this is unsurprising.

On Topic: He's clearly depicted to be her physical superior although she is definitely the closest to him in that category amongst the Avengers.

The only frame where she physically troubled him was after absorbing energy from the soul stone.

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redshift_bacon: So you saw the video and did not see the point where she lifts in the air, has one hand on the glove, one hand ready to throw a punch and Thanos kneel to his knees???? You didnt see this? Really?

EcoBlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegerudoking: nobody said that... you’re being heavily disingenuous. Peopleike you are the worse.

First anyone that disagrees with you and think Thanos>Carol in strength is an “insecure male”

Now you’re literally saying someone no one said and attributing it to someone else despite the fact that you said it before and he corrected you. Trash.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 takenstew22  Moderator

@rdskns4eva: She was struggling to hold him up with 2 hands before that.

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So what caused her to go from struggling one second to completely overpowering him the next? I know. She is stronger than him.

EcoBlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EcoBlitz

@rdskns4eva: she literally boosted herself with 2 arms, her entire body, and flight before using only 1 arm, she didn’t overpower him with 1 arm, she used her entire body and flight before holding him down with 1 arm while he had the IG on which as we know deals constant damage (hulk) with Starks tech.

Same Thanos actually overpowered Thor and was about to dig Thor’s own axe into Thor’s own chest

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 takenstew22  Moderator

@takenstew22 said:

So what caused her to go from struggling one second to completely overpowering him the next? I know. She is stronger than him.

Simple. Thanos was weakened and got caught off guard.

Redshift_Bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Redshift_Bacon

@rdskns4eva said:

@redshift_bacon: So you saw the video and did not see the point where she lifts in the air, has one hand on the glove, one hand ready to throw a punch and Thanos kneel to his knees???? You didnt see this? Really?

Captain Marvel Accelerates instantly to Light Speed in Space and to Massively Hypersonic in atmosphere, and when she is accelerating, it is always denoted by a Glow around her body. Meaning, Thanos was holding back Captain Marvel's One-Arm with Massively-Hypersonic Acceleration pushing against it simultaneously, while CM had the Leverage advantage.

The only other Power Struggle occurs when Carol has to use her Acceleration plus her entire Upper-Body strength just to hold open Thanos's Hand, aka his Gripping Strength.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingzod: that awkward moment when you claim Carol was absorbing energy from the soul stone ?

Defeated. Next!

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecoblitz said:

@rdskns4eva: she literally boosted herself with 2 arms, her entire body, and flight before using only 1 arm, she didn’t overpower him with 1 arm, she used her entire body and flight before holding him down with 1 arm while he had the IG on which as we know deals constant damage (hulk) with Starks tech.

She boosted herself? Wait, if Thanos is stronger, why didnt he keep her on the ground? And when she takes off, she used one hand. The video is not hard to decipher. The sequence is

1. Thanos overpowers her with one hand while she is holding him with two

2. Thanos attempts to headbutt which ends with CM no selling

3. Captain Marvel gets mad

4. Captain Marvel raises up with one hand on the gauntlet and the other in the air read to strike

5. Thanos falls to one knee from being overpowered

6. Thanos use the power stone to punch her away

Bottom line, if Thanos is physically stronger than Captain Marvel, he should have keep her from taking off and overpowering him. He didnt. She is stronger than him.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecoblitz: ok, little buddy. Calm down. It's going to be ok. Try taking a nap.

TheGerudoKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redshift_bacon: more proof of insecurities.

And yet he gets taken out by a headbutt that Carol no-sells.

Defeated. Next!

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I think people are overthinking it. She isn’t stronger without unleashing her full powers but when she does she ends up being physically dominant over the Mad Titan.

Her strength probably has more to do with energy manip and her aura whereas his is pure muscle power.

icec0ld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She overpowered him twice

He couldn't hurt her at all without the stones

Second time they fought she had him scared of her. He had straight fear on his face.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.