Follow

Jubilee

Character » Jubilee appears in 3033 issues.

Jubilee is a long-time member of the X-Men and founding member of Generation X. She previously lost her mutant powers on M-Day, and then was turned into a vampire. Most recently, she re-gained her pyrotechnic abilities and was turned back into a mutant .

If you're randomly going to make Jubilee a vampire for a weirdly long amount of time....

htpss1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By htpss1977

Why not make her a jiangshi? We've got not!vampires, not!werewolves, not!ghosts, not!zombies, whatever, all kinds of superheros that are based off of folklore. But I can't think of a single jiangshi-based superhero or supervillain. Yes, they might come off as sillier because one of their most iconic things is hopping but vampire Jubilee is already silly.

And don't give me that nonsense about there being the chance for it to be offensive or "cultural-appropriation", I almost feel like we're kind of past that point in the culture war where the people that'd complain about the pandering being tone-deaf have kind of lowered their standards or at least, they're less loud about it than before. We're kind of calmed down back to the 1980s attitude when it comes to how we treat this "diversity quota" kind of thing.

People say the culture war has gotten worse but I feel like comic writers are slowly learning (of all lessons) what kind of toes to avoid stepping on when it comes to this kind of thing hence the Nightcrawler retcon-retcon. Maybe that's just me though, I try to avoid those nonsense debates like the plague.

They especially won't complain if the main writer is Chinese or whatever, which I'm sure there are a ton of Chinese writers begging to get a Chinese character as recognizable (but certainly not prestigious....) as Jubilee and give her a new "angle." So, uh, why didn't they...?

Marvel Comics: Making regrettable decisions and passively acknowledging them as stupid for over 30 years!
    Marvel Comics: Making regrettable decisions and passively acknowledging them as stupid for over 30 years!

No, don't make Jubilee a vampire again, for Pete's sake. Just give Shang-Chi a supervillain that's a jiangshi. Screw it, why not just make it the Mandarian since Marvel seems so intent on making him Iron Man's "arch-nemesis" in name only.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.