Follow

Ghost Rider (Reyes)

Character » Ghost Rider (Reyes) appears in 250 issues.

A talented young mechanic with a penchant for anything with an engine and electronic music, but above all else he loves his little brother Gabe. When his plan to get Gabe out of East L.A. goes fatally awry, he is resurrected by the Spirit of Eli Morrow into the supernatural being, the All-New Ghost Rider!

Felipe Smith Talks Ghost Rider on Agents of SHIELD and Upcoming Comic

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Many are familiar with Ghost Rider from the Nicolas Cage movies, but he made his first appearance in comic books back in 1972. In the comic world, there has been different individuals that have contained the Spirit of Vengeance. In 2014, Robbie Reyes became the latest character except instead of a flaming motorcycle, he drove a Dodge Charger.

During this year's San Diego Comic-Con, it was announced that Robbie Reyes would be appearing on Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. In August, Marvel announced the character would be returning to comics with another solo series. We spoke with Robbie Reyes co-creator Felipe Smith about Ghost Rider's TV appearance and the upcoming comic.

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine: What can you tell us about the upcoming series?

No Caption Provided

Felipe Smith: I can tell you I'm very excited about Robbie Reyes' appearance in Marvel's Agents of SHIELD. I don't know what they're doing on the show; I'm in charge of the comic books. We're starting a new Ghost Rider series in November which I'll be writing and artist Danilo Beyruth will be drawing. I can tell you they're really looking at the source material for the ABC show, and they really looked at the designs of car. The '69 Dodge Charger RT is exactly the car I had in mind when I drew it. They made it look exactly like my first illustration of it in my first variant cover for issue 1. The jacket is really on point; I'm really happy about it. A lot of times publishing, TV, and movies are separate even though they're under the same umbrella, Marvel. They can take license to do different things in the comic book world, as the TV or movie, but I feel like they're really paying attention to the source material, looking at what we did.

The first story arc was Tradd Moore on art and I wrote. Second story arc was Damion Scott doing art and me writing. The end of the second arc I actually got to write and draw issue 11. Issue 12 was Kris Anka and me doing that. They're really looking at what we did in the comics. I've seen shots that are pretty much shot for shot from the comic book, for the promotional material. It looks really good. The car just looks amazing. My favorite muscle car is the '69 Dodge Charger--it's different from the '70 and the '68, it's its own thing. It was the General Lee for Dukes of Hazard, which is a show I loved as a kid. Just seeing it on fire with that blower, the wheels, it's great. I'm really happy. I don't know if I gave you any information right now, but I'm just really happy to see it.

No Caption Provided

They announced it at San Diego, but when did you first find out that Robbie Reyes was going to be on the show, in the car and everything?

I found out only about two weeks before the Hell Charger was unveiled at the Marvel booth. Again, as I said, you create comic books, and then those comic books, if you're lucky, they make it into other mediums, and they have their own divisions that take care of that. So far, I'm really happy that they're very faithful to some of the essential aspects of the comic. Gabriel Luna will be playing Robbie Reyes, and he's read all the comic books. Lorenzo James Henrie from Fear the Walking Dead is playing Robbie's younger brother Gabe, who is also accurate to the comic book version.

I think the most important thing about the characters is not their specific age, because Robbie's 18 in the comics, and Gabe is 13, but it's their relationship. I think Robbie's demeanor and the choices he makes in life, and the kind of person he is, and his relationship with his younger brother Gabe, I think are the essential part of the all-new Ghost Rider series that we created. It's not so much the cool powers, like the engine skull in flames and the Hell Charger. All that stuff is good, it's like the icing on a cake, but the core of the cake is actually Robbie and Gabe's relationship and the kind of guy Robbie is. He's a guy in a really hard place, who doesn't give up, works hard, and is just determined to take care of his brother who he loves. I think as long as they keep that going in the Agents of SHIELD version, people will not only like the character, but hopefully they'll be interested in checking out the comic books too, which I'm hoping will happen.

No Caption Provided

What can you tell us about the upcoming comic? Where will Robbie be from when we last saw him?

No Caption Provided

Starting November, issue 1 of Ghost Rider, we're dropping the "All-New" for the new series. It will be a good jumping on point for people who haven't read the series. At the same time, if you have read the first 12 issues of the series, it basically, timeline-wise, starts right after those events. Some of the same cast returns in our new story, and we'll have newcomers. We'll also have Robbie, for the first time, meeting other heroes from the Marvel Universe. In the first issue, we'll have Amadeus Cho, the new Totally Awesome Hulk, appearing. I don't know if they'll get along right away when they meet. They're also young characters, which is cool. I think they're around the same age. They're from different walks of life, and obviously they have different powers. I'm looking forward to seeing what people think when they see these guys meet. Robbie will be meeting other heroes from the Marvel Universe finally.

Ghost Rider #1 is on sale November 30.

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
    Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

As happy as I am for this comic because it is based in my hometown, EAST LA! I know they are only restarting this series because of the show, and that's kind of disappointing. Plus, I dug Robbie Reyes having a bald haircut. His new haircut is solely there for the show. That kind of sucks.

Still, I look forward learning more about this series. I'd say I can't wait to read it but I have several trades I need to read that I got for my birthday. I have like 7 trades I haven't read. (+)

HighAccuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As happy as I am for this comic because it is based in my hometown, EAST LA! I know they are only restarting this series because of the show, and that's kind of disappointing. Plus, I dug Robbie Reyes having a bald haircut. His new haircut is solely there for the show. That kind of sucks.

Still, I look forward learning more about this series. I'd say I can't wait to read it but I have several trades I need to read that I got for my birthday. I have like 7 trades I haven't read. (+)

Fair enough to assume they brought back the comic because of the show, but the hair? That haircut doesn't even look like what Reyes is sporting in the show.

Avatar image for thatlyn_yoaeg_ill_rymmin
    Thatlyn Yoaeg'ill'rymmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yung_ancient_one said:

Fair enough to assume they brought back the comic because of the show, but the hair? That haircut doesn't even look like what Reyes is sporting in the show.

Well, the haircut is exaclty the same that Reyes have in the last two issue of his first run [before Secret Wars]... he change haircut a lot :)

ScrappyDont27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really wanted to hate All New ghost Rider when it first came out but I gave it a shot and Felipe is an amazing writer and I fell in love with that series! I think if Tradd Moore could have stayed drawing it or if Felipe could have taken over immediately after Tradd left it might have lasted longer, in my opinion Damion Scott's art really drug the book down. Can't wait to Watch AoS tonight (no cable just Hulu) so I am a day behind, but from the reactions it's going to be good.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.