Unworthy/Hammerless Thor Flight Thread

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There been a lot of controversy over Thors flight without his hammer, it varies from how different writers interpret Thots capabilities (something that happens a lot with the interpretation of his strength and lightning abilities too).

Anyway, Secret Empire #9 and #6 have Unworthy Thor flying/hovering without his hammer with ease, which is contrary to Aarons comics where frigga states that Thor cant fly without his hammer.

I plan to hunt down various scans from different runs showing Thor hovering or flying without hus hammer and posting them in this thread, but before that i want to pose a question.

Which interpretation do you prefer or do you find more interesting for storytelling, Thor requiring hos hammer for flight and adding a challenge to atory when he doesnt have it to provide flight, or Thor using his wind powers or godly heritage/divinity to power gis flight?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

flight with hammer makes more sense. just flying without any mode looks weird. I can understand THOR hovering due to a specific plot but after that it shouldn't happen.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson said:

flight with hammer makes more sense. just flying without any mode looks weird. I can understand THOR hovering due to a specific plot but after that it shouldn't happen.

I think I agree with this. it makes sense if you know the character's powers, but most causal readers have no idea why he's flying

Avatar image for deactivated-59a10bc833249
deactivated-59a10bc833249

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Storm can,then Thor could.

For a God controlling elements of storms being unable to fly is just bad writing,common for Thor in Marvel.

Thor should be capable of flying.He can control winds,so he could definitely fly.He could also call Cosmic Storms to sail OKT boat,so he could do the same to fly in space too.

Thor being unable to fly given his powerset is just BAD WRITING.Plain and simple.

I actually loves seeing Thor in air in SE #9 again without that chunk of uru,mother storm crap.

titing2101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well thor has flown without the aid of his hammer ever since.but not fast when using mjolnir. Idont see why he cant.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@del_torro: there is no controversy among thor readers. Thor has always been able to hover in the air. There have been dozens of examples over the years. The best explanation for why he doesn't use it very often is because like all other things, it would be very very slow. Imagine if your thor and can jump faster than you can float on a wind current why would you? If your goats are faster than you can fly, why fly? Thor was never a use flight strategically guy, and more a let me charge you at lightspeed or call down the lighting whole hovering guy

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334:

To be fair, Storm can go beyond speed of sound with wind current flying, so why not Thor, who is her superior in elemental emanipulation?

del_torro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder, since he can summon solar winds to propel hus ship at Light speed, shouldn't he be able to ise it to propel himself.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_spectrum: speculating on what he should be able to do is not the same as simply showing what he has done. We have seen thor hover without the hammer, and rarely fully fly and never with any marked speed. So while thor should be able to, until we see him to do so, we can assume that for whatever reason thor prefers his goats for anything beyond the hover and intimidate mode we saw most recently

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

@killraven4334:

speculating on what he should be able to do is not the same as simply showing what he has done.

My point is more than just speculating actually, you stated that flying via wind currents wouldn't be fast and effective, then i simply gave you an example of character inferior to Thor with similar abilities using wind currents to fly faster than sound. I simply asked if Storm can do that, then why not Thor, who those same abilities but on higher category, while indeed it is a speculation, it is not that far-fetched actually.

So while thor should be able to, until we see him to do so, we can assume that for whatever reason thor prefers his goats for anything beyond the hover and intimidate mode we saw most recently

Actually, in classic era, Thor was casually flying without the need to swing the hammer, though that was classic era, so i don't count it that much for post-classic era, though i did a bit of searching and found some interesting scans of Thor - levitating/hovering/flying and even blitzing ( like Superman :D ).

RukelnikovFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean... If he couldn't fly without Mjolnir, he basically wouldn't be able to throw it while airborne...

Alligatian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: Not really sure if I have seen scans of Thor flying super fast without mjornir but here's one scan where we see Thor actually fly without his hammer instead of just levitating:

No Caption Provided

and what is more cooler is this:

No Caption Provided