Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By mrmonster
No Caption Provided

Country of Origin: France

History: The formation of Savate began in 1825, when French martial artists Michel Casseux and Charles Lecour sought to take Parisian street fighting, and turn it into a formalized sport. Lecour would later travel to The United Kingdom to learn boxing, in order to incorporate boxing’s punching techniques into savate. The result was a kickboxing system built for both the ring and for the streets. Savate quickly became popular in France, was even a one time Olympic sport when Paris hosted in 1924. Savate’s popularity around the world has been slow (the first school in the USA did not open until 1983) but nonetheless, savate is still trained and competed around the world, thanks to the International Savate Federation.

There are two unique aspects of Savate that are worth touching. The first and most obvious difference between Savate and other forms of kickboxing is that fighters wear shoes during matches; not simple footgear, but actual shoes. The name Savate even means “old boot” in French. This is a holdover from Savate’s origins of street fighting, when, for obvious reasons, most fighters would be wearing shoes. The second is that many modern schools of Savate use different colored gloves to identify rank, similar to belts in other martial arts.

Techniques

And of course, punches.

Famous practitioners

• MMA fighters such as Gerard Gordeau, Christian M’Pumbu, Karl Amoussou, Cheick Kongo

Comment below if you’d like to tagged for more, or if you'd like to suggest a martial art for a future entry.

@king_saturn: @dernman:

@ficopedia:@cbishop:@sundown89:

@ghostodoofus2:

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard that most of the high kicks in karate were influenced by France

cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

@mrmonster: Nice! I did not know it came from street fighting. Thanks for doing this one. :)

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dernman's late, guess I'll have to beat him to it then: Batman still stomps!!

Great summary by the way.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like Savate a lot.

Sundown89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't Savate related to cane fighting? Perhaps I'm misremembering due to Batroc the Leaper fighting with a cane in some appearances. Regardless this is a pretty awesome entry.