Is it unhealthy to be obsessively attached to the power levels of characters you like? (Read OP)

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Is it unhealthy to be obsessively attached to the power levels of characters you like? (Read OP) (45 votes)

Absolutely 56%
To an extent 18%
I don't know 7%
Not really 11%
Not at all 9%

I'm talking about obsessions to the level of pouring hours into researching and self-assuring, to the point that you could lose sleep if you can't find a definitive answer for some questions regarding your character's power. It's fine to like the idea of a character being powerful but it isn't wise to let your happiness and mood depend so much on that character's power status.

I believe it's unwise to become too attached to the idea that a character you love is too powerful to be defeated, even "omnipotence" has now become a very muddled term in comics as it can easily be retconned or re-contextualized.

This is especially a problem for characters within company-owned universes where literally dozens or even hundreds of writers at any given time are coming up with their own ideas to add to those universes (if not destroying existing ideas by previous writers), like Marvel, DC and Star Wars. See, even if your favourite character is the top of their universe CURRENTLY, one writer who favours another character over yours and wants to make his own fanboy dreams canon is all that it'll take to turn your world upside down.... this could very well crush you if you are too obsessive and it's out of your control. That said, if you are too obsessed with maintaining the fact that Character A is stronger than Character B or that Character C is the strongest character of them all then you are going to find yourself vulnerable to disappointment as no status quo is truly permanent. You don't get to control how the story goes EVEN if you are a writer yourself, because who's to say that another fanboy won't inevitably show up to undo what you wrote? It's best to let go, you can enjoy the comics more and worry less about the power-scaling.

I have to maintain a philosophy as a comic reader.

I'm sure most of you here are of a healthier mindset but there are those who make it their full-time job (in place of an actual job) to either constantly assure themselves that their character's superiority over some other characters can never change or continuously coping that the character they love really isn't all that.

I just think this has to be addressed as character obsessions of this level is more often than not the cause for toxicity in our beloved forum. Just look at some users killing themselves everyday for hours, researching and arguing just to maintain their almost-religious beliefs in their power estimations, who knows how many responsibilities they're shirking in their personal lives? It could one day bite them in the ass. Even worse, all the years of researching could ultimately amount to nothing... all it takes is one writer or editor to destroy the status quo and sent you ALL THE WAY back to square one.

Enjoy what you read/watch/play, don't stress too much over feats. Nothing is permanent, it's never guaranteed that a brand won't introduce a new character to put your character to shane.

• 
Supreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Without doubt fictional characters in general

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

"put your character to shane" hahahaha, that misspelling at the end sure put me to shame.

PyroFN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have definitely seen people like that before. It’s not pretty. Like, enjoying media does not always have to be about power levels.

It’s a fun aspect, but there is a point where you just got to reel it in. It is not gonna be the end if Goku isn’t more powerful than any character or Franklin Richards isn’t the supreme mutant to where you get called an idiot for having a differing opinion.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, it's no different than any other medium of entertainment you may be obsessed about. Of course, you could take it too far, but mostly, it's not unhealthy or anything.

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends I make research on the power-levels of a character mostly when I'm making a RT. I like when my info is correct but they are those debaters that do so just to prove that their faves are the most powerful, i personally do not like many characters because of how powerful they are but because of their impact and how much i see myself in them. I like a complex character that is also engaging. The obsessive part is mostly seen with debaters.

ManimalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being obsessive about anything is by definition unhealthy.

Avatar image for returnkaboom232
returnkaboom232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NinjaRizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then obsession with the power of characters you like isn’t an issue, UNLESS you want those characters to specifically be higher than other characters, that’s when you’ve gone too far

Being obsessed with power scaling your favourite characters is a personal issue, when you start projecting onto other characters you don’t like you start to become a bit of a prick

Supreme101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The lengths people go to in order to defend they're favorite character or treat that character can be pretty sad to see.

Feanorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The difference between medicine and poison is the dosage.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feanorr: That is actually a good saying, did you come up with that yourself?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101: I understand, I've made a respect thread before myself. I don't however collapse if I find out that the character gets an update or a retcon, even less so do I suffer agony if my favourite character is no longer the most powerful.

Feanorr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feanorr: That is actually a good saying, did you come up with that yourself?

No, my oma keeps saying that.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By geekryan

@pyrofn said:

I have definitely seen people like that before. It’s not pretty. Like, enjoying media does not always have to be about power levels.

It’s a fun aspect, but there is a point where you just got to reel it in. It is not gonna be the end if Goku isn’t more powerful than any character or Franklin Richards isn’t the supreme mutant to where you get called an idiot for having a differing opinion.

The lengths people go to in order to defend they're favorite character or treat that character can be pretty sad to see.

Decaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're having fun all is good but if you get upset or your day gets ruined over discourse between characters you like, I would definitely take some time off because that's not healthy.

Avatar image for masterbuster666
MasterBuster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaff said:

If you're having fun all is good but if you get upset or your day gets ruined over discourse between characters you like, I would definitely take some time off because that's not healthy.

@geekryan said:
@pyrofn said:

@supreme101 said:

@decaff said:

@manimalman said:

Avatar image for redsithdisciple
RedSithDisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101: I understand, I've made a respect thread before myself. I don't however collapse if I find out that the character gets an update or a retcon, even less so do I suffer agony if my favourite character is no longer the most powerful.

Like i say to many people who suffer from this kind of obsession," they're just fictional characters no need to make it seem and feel more than fiction."

I also think that this is also because of maturity and childlike thinking, a mature adult won't be obsessed with fictional characters power levels and supposed omnipotence.

Ieatnettles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I've seen people stamina debate for weeks just so their character is on a good level even tho they had lost ages ago (I wasn't debating them just watching)

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ieatnettles: I know this is at its worst in battle forums which I hardly ever visit.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ghostodoofus2

@mage101: I agree. I think if one REALLY needs their favourite character to be omnipotent, then they have to create their own in their own self-published creative works. At least with their creator-owned characters, they've the freedom to do whatever they hell they want even though overpowered characters to that extent are unlikely to sell very well; either way, they cannot rely on big publishers to have their existing favourite characters be as powerful as they dream to be... you know what they say about dreaming too big.

Ieatnettles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ieatnettles: I know this is at its worst in battle forums which I hardly ever visit.

Yeah it's brain numbing to see

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ieatnettles: It makes me curious about the general mental health of users who frequently visit the battle forum. A lot of them don't actually seem to be at a good place.

Mage101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mage101: I agree. I think if one REALLY needs their favourite character to be omnipotent, then they have to create their own in their own self-published creative works. At least with their creator-owned characters, they've the freedom to do whatever they hell they want even though overpowered characters to that extent are unlikely to sell very well; either way, they cannot rely on big publishers to have their existing favourite characters be as powerful as they dream to be... you know what they say about dreaming too big.

Yeah true. Something i learnt a long-time-ago is that the story is bigger than the characters not the other-way-around, writers will always think first about the plot before they think about silly power-levels of the characters. Hence, the reason why omnipotence is impossible in stories.

TheSquad554

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its completely normal to care about how things you like are potrayed

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Care and being obsessed is not the same thing.

NinjaRizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking for myself, a Bleach fanatic, it often seems like i’m emotionally invested but I really don’t care, I just enjoy flaming people for their insolence

What I think is actually insane is why people are so opinionated on characters they don’t know anything about

I know Bleach characters inside and out for the most part, why would I let someone off scott free on a debate forum taking wass about my favourite characters

Eredin12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ieatnettles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghostodoofus2: a lot of them r rlly whiney and don't know when to stop, however thankfully I only debate star wars and the majority of SW debaters are pretty chill

Avatar image for estrelladeleonn
EstrellaDeLeonn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking for myself, a Bleach fanatic, it often seems like i’m emotionally invested but I really don’t care, I just enjoy flaming people for their insolence

What I think is actually insane is why people are so opinionated on characters they don’t know anything about

I know Bleach characters inside and out for the most part, why would I let someone off scott free on a debate forum taking wass about my favourite characters

As a GoH/Saint Seiya fanatic, I can understand this feeling. Respect !!

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Ghostodoofus2
@straight-fire said:
@thesquad554 said:

Care and being obsessed is not the same thing.

I second Straight-Fire's sentiments. Caring and obsessing aren't the same thing; if we shift the focus to humans, it is normal to care about someone but obsessing over someone is what brought upon creeps/stalkers. Nothing good comes from obsession.

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

being obsessive about anything that's at the end of the day, just a corporate tool to make money, probably isn't the healthiest. It's best to find a balance between interest and passion, because at the end of the day, the character's main use is to make money for an entity that doesn't really care for you.

pachyderm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By pachyderm

There definitely are (and have been for a long time) a lot of CV users who border on actual mental illness when it comes to certain characters, but part of it is also just that the hyper-aggressive, toxic style of debating is more common than ever. People will get into multi-week debates hurling insults back and forth over something that neither of them actually care about just because they find the shitflinging fun, or because of their egos.

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@steve40l said:

being obsessive about anything that's at the end of the day, just a corporate tool to make money, probably isn't the healthiest. It's best to find a balance between interest and passion, because at the end of the day, the character's main use is to make money for an entity that doesn't really care for you.

Good observation.

LucasCosta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is sometimes.

People of the Power scaling comunity tend to despise character of lower Power Level. Terms like "foder", "fraud" etc, are an attempt to degrade a character based on the level of power it displays.

That also cause people to overhype characters they like. Since you need to have a strong power scaling in order to be respected, you wank the character you love to absurd extends.

Everything is valid, to out of context statesment to twisted interpretations.

That is why nowadays you see every verse being wanked to FTL reaction and Planetary level.

Not to mention concepts that are initially valid - like AP - being used to justify the lack of feats.

All of it is the reflection of the toxic traits in the Power Scaling comunity.

PinkDarkBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes. get a life & go debate things that actually matter/exist

Avatar image for comicvinepoozer1
comicvinepoozer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If MCU/DCEU fans could read, they’d be pretty mad at this post

Steve40L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reaper4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it is unhealthy. I am a bit guilty of being salty sometimes when people lowball my favorite characters but I've learned to chill a bit since it's just a character from a piece of paper

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reaper4: Yeah, I learned long ago that if you want a character to be as powerful as you like with no questionable anti-feats then your best bet is to create your own universe with your own characters which you've full creative control over. You cannot rely on big publishers like DC or Marvel to accommodate for your fanboy needs, at the end of the day they've a business to run and overly powerful characters just won't sell very well.... hence they can't be consistent with the power levels of their major characters and have to retcon again and again.

SeventhMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your goal is to defend a character's level of power (which the vast majority do), as opposed to trying to reach the truth, regardless of what it is, you've already completely failed at debating. And yes, it's unhealthy.