Is a Lightsaber a simple Plasma blade? Breakdown.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

I been in many back and forth arguments on the nature of the Lightsaber. Many think its simply Plasma in a magentic shield. However all the proof in Legends and Canon show otherwise.

No Caption Provided

In Legends, Lightsabers are stated as Electrically generated Arc Wave Energy. Nothing about this fictional science is Plasma base. Also stated a Lightsaber blade has zero mass. Plasma has mass. Plasma is a state of matter and mass is matter.

No Caption Provided

In Canon the Lightsaber is stated force related in its energy. Stated to concentrate energy in a unique manner that resonates with the force. The Kyber energy is stated focusing energy into the blade.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

We see in the canon comics the energy a Kyber Crystal makes is not heat base at all, but has concussive force and electrical looking effects. The power that makes the blade of a Lightsaber.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

In both legends and canon the Lightsaber blade redirects energy bolts of lasers (Light) and Blaster Bolts (Magnetic plasma) which is something a plasma cutter in real life could not do. Lightsabers also generate no stated heat unlike Plasma. Lightsabers also absorb electricity. Something Plasma matter cannot do.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Add to this in both Legends and Canon electric shielded weapons also deflect a Lightsaber. Plasma itself or plasma with magnetic shielding would not work this way by physics.

Another thing to factor is the things that resist are resistant to Lightsabers.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

In Legends Cortesis Weave is a metal that is not durable at all and can be melted and reshape by weapon smiths pretty easy. Yet this metal shorts out Lightsabers when the blade makes contact. If it was pure plasma, it should just cut through. If the magnetic shield was shut down than intense plasma heat should pour through.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

In both Canon and Legends the most densest materials in the universe can stop a lightsaber too. Examples in canon being the Zillo Beast armor plating which was one of the most dense materials known. Kongo was made of the most hard core deep earth drilling and held up to a Lightsaber. Mandalorian Iron (Aka Beskar) is a stated super dense material in Legends that withstands Lightsaber strikes, yet this metal can be melted down and form into weapons and armor.

Another factor that discredits the argument of Lightsabers being simply plasma heat in a magnetic shield is the fact that EMP weapons do not work on Lightsabers at all.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

In Canon when Grankus the Hutt activated a EMP field, all the coms, blasters, and electronics were shut down. Only thing that work was R2-D2 who can survive Ion/EMP attacks and Lightsabers. EMP would deactivate or change any magnetic field, which again debunks the argument Lightsabers are plasma energy within a magnetic field.

Conclusions

The facts are clear that Lightsabers are more than the misinform Plasma Energy swords caught in a magnetic field as people try to argue them as. In Legends and Canon there is TONS of evidence that they are more than heat base energy and heat base energy alone like Plasma matter is. There is to many things that do not add up with the idea of a magnetic field holding in it a blade that makes up a super plasma torch.

What are your thoughts?

HATSoffMELO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By HATSoffMELO

nice

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer

If people can’t see it’s not a plasma blade despite the evidence, that’s on them.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It’s a plasma blade. It’s not simple, but it’s plasma.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@necromancer76: can you explain how plasma absorbs electiricty, redirects light energy, fails to melt Cortisis on contact, has no mass, immune to EMP, and works as arc energy wave then? I'm curious how you can prove all that for plasma matter.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: I’m not a member of LASP so, apologies, I can’t really answer those questions.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TLJ Visual Dictionary and the “Heir to the Jedi” Canon novel I’m reading right now call lightsabers plasma. I’ll get quotes when I get home from work.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: Ew, you read Canon material? Gross. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b5405244e89c
deactivated-5b5405244e89c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

They are the works of enemy stands.

No Caption Provided

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@thevivas said:

TLJ Visual Dictionary and the “Heir to the Jedi” Canon novel I’m reading right now call lightsabers plasma. I’ll get quotes when I get home from work.

Please do. Though the argument is then change to how does Plasma Matter allow for all the abilities and stated feats a Lightsaber does. Further more why does Legends state its not plasma but Arcwave Energy?

Clearly there is more proof and stated evidence against it being simple Plasma blades. I think Plamsa Matter plays a role in it maybe. Though the force energy is part of the generated blade as stated in Canons Ultimate SW guide. Legends debunks Plasma altogether.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Here's The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary calling Anakin's/Luke's/Rey's lightsaber plasma:

No Caption Provided

And the novel Heir to the Jedi says that the blade is energy given form by passing through a kyber crystal as superheated plasma. The book is told from Luke's perspective in first-person and he says that the description here is based off of what he already knows about lightsabers:

The blade was not pure light, of course: It was energy from the same sort of power cell that fueled blasters, given from by passing through a kyber crystal as superheated plasma that arced at the top and returned to the hilt. It didn't give off heat until it touched something solid; the rest of the time its power was contained by a force field.

Source: Heir to the Jedi

Described as a plasma blade:

We needed to see, so I pulled my lightsaber from my belt and hoped it would give off enough ambient light to spot the creature before it attacked again. Holding it in front of me in a defensive stance, I turned it on as I heard the creature snarl and thrash in the filth. The blue plasma blade bloomed up and my eyes, dilated in the darkness, saw the thing open its mouth and bunch its powerful back legs for a spring at my throat.

Though the argument is then change to how does Plasma Matter allow for all the abilities and stated feats a Lightsaber does.

I'm sure the answer would be something like "it's Star Wars" or "it's sci-fi" or "the kyber crystals help with that" or whatever the Story Group can come up with. The funny thing though is that IIRC in TCW episodes that Padme and Jar Jar and others went to Rodia, the cities were encased in domes because the atmosphere was unbreathable or something. I know there was a reason for the cities being in domes, but there's no mention whatsoever of any domes when Luke goes to Rodia in Heir to the Jedi and he's walking around the planet breathing in the atmosphere with no problem other than the smell. I'll have to watch the episodes again to clarify but that would be a pretty big continuity error for the new Canon and Story Group which was purposely created to prevent those kinds of things from happening like they sometimes did in Legends.

Further more why does Legends state its not plasma but Arcwave Energy?

Lightsabers seem to have different specs in Legends than they do in Canon.

Clearly there is more proof and stated evidence against it being simple Plasma blades. I think Plamsa Matter plays a role in it maybe. Though the force energy is part of the generated blade as stated in Canons Ultimate SW guide. Legends debunks Plasma altogether.

I was never knowledgeable at all about whether or not lightsabers were plasma energy or not, but just from reading the Visual Dictionary and about 60% of Heir to the Jedi, it seems to be plasma blade encased in a kyber energy field or something along those lines.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas said:

@sirfizzwhizz: Here's The Last Jedi Visual Dictionary calling Anakin's/Luke's/Rey's lightsaber plasma:

No Caption Provided

And the novel Heir to the Jedi says that the blade is energy given form by passing through a kyber crystal as superheated plasma. The book is told from Luke's perspective in first-person and he says that the description here is based off of what he already knows about lightsabers:

The blade was not pure light, of course: It was energy from the same sort of power cell that fueled blasters, given from by passing through a kyber crystal as superheated plasma that arced at the top and returned to the hilt. It didn't give off heat until it touched something solid; the rest of the time its power was contained by a force field.

Described as a plasma blade:

We needed to see, so I pulled my lightsaber from my belt and hoped it would give off enough ambient light to spot the creature before it attacked again. Holding it in front of me in a defensive stance, I turned it on as I heard the creature snarl and thrash in the filth. The blue plasma blade bloomed up and my eyes, dilated in the darkness, saw the thing open its mouth and bunch its powerful back legs for a spring at my throat.

Though the argument is then change to how does Plasma Matter allow for all the abilities and stated feats a Lightsaber does.

I'm sure the answer would be something like "it's Star Wars" or "it's sci-fi" or "the kyber crystals help with that" or whatever the Story Group can come up with. The funny thing though is that IIRC in TCW episodes that Padme and Jar Jar and others went to Rodia, the cities were encased in domes because the atmosphere was unbreathable or something. I know there was a reason for the cities being in domes, but there's no mention whatsoever of any domes when Luke goes to Rodia in Heir to the Jedi and he's walking around the planet breathing in the atmosphere with no problem other than the smell. I'll have to watch the episodes again to clarify but that would be a pretty big continuity error for the new Canon and Story Group which was purposely created to prevent those kinds of things from happening like they sometimes did in Legends.

Further more why does Legends state its not plasma but Arcwave Energy?

Lightsabers seem to have different specs in Legends than they do in Canon.

I was never knowledgeable at all about whether or not lightsabers were plasma energy or not, but just from reading the Visual Dictionary and about 60% of Heir to the Jedi, it seems to be plasma blade encased in a kyber energy field or something along those lines.

This is good stuff. Is Heir to the Jedi canon or legends?

I think then the questions for Canon is Kyber Generated Field that is around the plasma blade allowing it to do crazy shit. So that aligns with the whole force resonate energy in the canon Ultimate Star Wars guide book.

Thanks for those quotes. More pieces to a puzzle.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer: Lol I tried putting off reading them as much as possible but I figured it was about time I caught up with them. Better to start now that there aren’t as many, get it over with, and then jump back into Legends I guess.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Heir to the Jedi is part of the new Canon and is where Luke learns that the Force can be used for TK. Here’s the Canon timeline:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/756/32045577924_f13a62ce7a_o.png

Do you have a quote for the Ultimate Star Wars Kyber stuff? Or is that what you posted in the OP?

More confusing pieces to the puzzle I think you mean, but only strengthens Wolfrazer’s thoughts about not mixing the two (Canon and Legends) when it comes to cross universe battles for SW.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Wolfrazer

@sirfizzwhizz: TCW isn't Legends!(at least not the whole of it) It muddles everything up that 03-08 put together, it should just be New Canon only.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@sirfizzwhizz: TCW isn't Legends!(at least not the whole of it)

LOL exactly.

@thevivas said:

Do you have a quote for the Ultimate Star Wars Kyber stuff? Or is that what you posted in the OP?

Its in the OP.

No Caption Provided

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Well you were implying all of it was! I'm not gonna discard all that Pre-TCW material! NEVAH!

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@wolfrazer: y0ur a regular William Wallace of of legends

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: Well it would make a lot more sense regardless anyway. Even if TCW kinda muddles with the movies too.

Wut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can you explain how plasma absorbs electiricty, redirects light energy

Doesn't have to be the plasma that does it. Could be the shielding keeping the plasma in that is 'soaking' it up.

That said, given lightsabers have been described as both throughout their existence, they tend to do whatever the authors need them.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be honest; Star Wars multi-media has and will use both terms interchangeably and won't give a damn about it.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26 JediXMan  Moderator

Star Wars is a mess.

That's my takeaway from this thread.

ParagonNate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfrazer said:

@sirfizzwhizz: It's Canon.

Which is why we no try and mix the two Canons. Mmmkay?

Canon movies, Clone Wars Show are part of legends mmmkay ;)

I don't see how they possibly could be combined. Seeing as one directly contradicts the other more times than I can count. Also, fans aren't the ones who decide what is and is not Canon or Legends, Disney is, and they say they are separate.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paragonnate: Legends includes the movies and TCW and always did before the Disney buyout. The reason the new Story Group was put in place was *because* they contradict each other, past EU Clone Wars material and the new show.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz said:
@wolfrazer said:

@sirfizzwhizz: It's Canon.

Which is why we no try and mix the two Canons. Mmmkay?

Canon movies, Clone Wars Show are part of legends mmmkay ;)

I don't see how they possibly could be combined. Seeing as one directly contradicts the other more times than I can count. Also, fans aren't the ones who decide what is and is not Canon or Legends, Disney is, and they say they are separate.

Sigh the Clone Wars show is part of Legends mate. Remember the Legends thing was EU and levels of Canon. Many legends material and novels were base off the show and movies as part of the now consider Legends Canon. Homework,

@thevivas said:

@paragonnate: Legends includes the movies and TCW and always did before the Disney buyout. The reason the new Story Group was put in place was *because* they contradict each other, past EU Clone Wars material and the new show.

Yup.

randell1985

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the most logical explanation is that its neither light, nor is it plasma. the most logical explanation is that when ignited energy enters the crystal which causes the Kyber Krystal to become semi fluid like a plasma, allowing for the kyber Crystal itself to expand outside of the hilt via the lightsabers emitter. when outside of the hilt the energy that is emitted is no longer a semi plasma, instead its just a super energized Kyber Crystal in the shape of a blade. IE it starts out as a physical then becomes semi fluid, then becomes fully solid in its final state, this is why a lightsaber blade extends and retracts, because its just the energized form of the Kyber crystal extending and retracting from the hilt. and this is why it behaves like a solid, because while in the blade the energy is a solid