How was Avatar 2 for you?

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Ghostodoofus2  Online

Poll How was Avatar 2 for you? (46 votes)

Amazing 20%
Good 35%
Okay 30%
Bad 7%
Shit 9%
 • 
Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 Ghostodoofus2  Online

Saw it just then, it was good but could've been 30 minutes shorter.

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another forgettable Avatar film

SaiHuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4.5/10

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#4 frozen  Moderator

Amazing. Better than any MCU or DCEU film.

GoodKarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

Based on?

KillianDuclark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@goodkarma: He's personal taste.

OT: 4/5. Good but not great.

GoodKarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killianduclark: Understandable. but he voiced his "personal taste" onto a public forum which allows me to question him about it.

Same, I enjoyed it but whilst I was watching it I was constantly asking myself "This was not worth the 10 year wait".

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was good. I enjoyed it, but it didn't have much substance at all. Kind of a drag.

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saw it just then, it was good but could've been 30 minutes shorter.

Yeah that's my main problem with it. It's too long. It was awesome though.

Avatar image for deactivated-64456b84cf5e8
deactivated-64456b84cf5e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was decent compared to what I had watched in 2022 so far. But this year has been subpar and I fear this film series will end up like Terminator. Which I think it will.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@goodkarma:

Its visually stunning and pushes the boundaries of filmmaking. The score is inspiring and the world building is immersive.

You can also tell that Cameron had 100% creative control. It's an expression of his full vision.

I much prefer this over MCU and DCEU. Even the "good" MCU films are restricted by the studios and suffer from lackluster colour palettes and bland visuals. E.g. Winter Soldier's boring drab aesthetic or the visually uninspired final battle of EG, etc.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar 2 was Good. I can't give it any higher because the last 30 minutes of the film was tearing up my Bladder.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By El_mago

Excessively long without reason and i think it was not really worth my time

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@goodkarma:

Its visually stunning and pushes the boundaries of filmmaking. The score is inspiring and the world building is immersive.

You can also tell that Cameron had 100% creative control. It's an expression of his full vision.

I much prefer this over MCU and DCEU. Even the "good" MCU films are restricted by the studios and suffer from lackluster colour palettes and bland visuals. E.g. Winter Soldier's boring drab aesthetic or the visually uninspired final battle of EG, etc.

Unfortunately, that's a bit dampened by the excessive runtime.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 frozen  Moderator
CatMan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

CatMan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Omg they're already making an Avatar 3

SuperDarth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ghostodoofus2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Ghostodoofus2  Online

@catman5: They're making a total of five films.

Necromancer76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even worse than the first lmao. My boss and my friend who saw it with me both gave it a 2/10 and I don't blame them.

CatMan5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just glad we got another good movie in a year full of duds.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 socajunkie  Moderator

@frozen: I’m like 75% sure you’re trolling.

GoodKarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@socajunkie: I don't think they're complaining about the length of the movie, they're complaining about how long the movie felt.

as @frozen said:

But none of that means diddly squat if the movie isn't engaging. It's expecting us to sympathise with characters we've not heard from in over a decade, like cool, Jake's got a kids now, can you remember their names, can you remember any of the characters names (obviously besides the main 3 being Jake, Neytiri, and Quadritch?) the most rememberable character from the movie (IMO) is Spider, like the dude grunted and hissed through most of his lines and he felt like the most compelling character there.

Like why does Sigourney weavers daughter have a magical bond with the whole planet?

Don't get me wrong, I wholeheartedly agree with everything Frozen said, but whilst I was watching the film I was thinking to myself (The 13 year wait wasn't worth it) and no movie will ever be worth a 13 year wait. If it had come out maybe 2-3, hell even 4 years after the first Avatar the film would have been hailed as one of the greatest pieces of modern cinema, but it didn't, and so it hasn't. Avatar 2 has catastrophically flopped. It needs $1.3billion alone just to break-even but that would require a sudden massive surge in cinemagoers which just isn't going to happen, Cameron thought he could ride the hypetrain all the way to the bank in order to bankroll the future projects, but as soon the film came out and people started leaving their comments online the train came to a screeching halt.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 frozen  Moderator
a8612152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

75% of his posts on this site look like trolling to be honest.

Avatar image for chris2kzombieki
chris2kzombieki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A waist of time and money.

I'm really happy they dropped the ball on opening weekend. They needed to make I believe 2 billion dollars to break even. And they didn't even come close lmao

rawsos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kinda dumb towards the end lots of pis and dumb writing but the beginning was 👌

SonOfDarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was great, kinda surprised to see all the negative reviews here

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By geekryan

Waiting until it releases online to watch it.

The first Avatar was only successful for two reasons: James Cameron, and the new motion capture/3D technology that was used. Sure it looked cool, but the dialogue and acting were mediocre at best. The plot was so basic and pretty much a rip-off of Pocahontas. It isn't a film most people would re-watch, and the characters were pretty forgettable.

Not to mention the controversy due to the cultural appropriation and misrepresentation of Indigenous people and their history, coupled with the whole theme of colonialism/imperialism. Like how are you going to have a film that takes so much from Indigenous cultures and have almost all of the characters voiced by white actors?

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akz said:
@frozen said:

Big stretch but I’d say it was a solid 7. It was way better than the first one. Spider dragged down the movie a bit for me, he had no redeeming qualities to his character.

How is that statement a stretch? The only DCEU movie was Black Adam, and it was mid. MoM was rather bad, L&T was horrible, and Wakanda Forever was also just "alright", unless you feel differently about some of these movies. Personally, I wasn't too annoyed with Spider's character, which is very odd. I'll probably notice how bad his character was upon rewatching.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

The first Avatar was only successful for two reasons: James Cameron, and the new motion capture/3D technology that was used. Sure it looked cool, but the dialogue and acting were mediocre at best. The plot was so basic and pretty much a rip-off of Pocahontas. It isn't a film most people would re-watch, and the characters were pretty forgettable.

Not to mention the controversy due to the cultural appropriation and misrepresentation of Indigenous people and their history, coupled with the whole theme of colonialism/imperialism. Like how are you going to have a film that takes so much from Indigenous cultures and have almost all of the characters voiced by white actors?

What cultural appropriation? They're blue humanoids from a different planet 💀.

If we're fine with "political correctness" in modern movies, which would include pandering (IMO) and race-swapping to any race that isn't white, I don't see why the voice actors being white should be an issue. That's a heavy double-standard, is it not?

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:

If we're fine with "political correctness" in modern movies, which would include pandering (IMO) and race-swapping to any race that isn't white, I don't see why the voice actors being white should be an issue. That's a heavy double-standard, is it not?

Elements that were taken from Indigenous culture in inappropriate or inaccurate ways.

The vast majority of Indigenous people were upset with the films. You can google it and see tons of their reasons why.

You don't understand my point about the white actors. Avatar takes a lot from Indigenous culture, and yet has practically zero Indigenous representation. It would be like making a film that heavily draws from African-American culture, and then not cast any African-Americans to represent it on screen.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By BoutaTakeAnL

@geekryan said:
@boutatakeanl said:
@geekryan said:

Elements that were taken from Indigenous culture in inappropriate or inaccurate ways.

The vast majority of Indigenous people were upset with the films. You can google it and see tons of their reasons why.

I hope you don't mind, but I'd need examples of specific complaints levied against the movie that you agree with in terms of indigenous people being upset with the film etc... I'm seeing their points in articles but I think it'd be easier to debate if you, specifically, brought up the criticisms you agree with. I'm seeing quite a lot from different articles and it appears very broad.

You don't understand my point about the white actors. Avatar takes a lot from Indigenous culture, and yet has practically zero Indigenous representation. It would be like making a film that heavily draws from African-American culture, and then not cast any African-Americans to represent it on screen.

Right, but wouldn't that still be a double standard? By race-swapping someone, you're not representing them properly while drawing from their very character.

geekryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:
@boutatakeanl said:
@geekryan said:

I hope you don't mind, but I'd need examples of specific complaints levied against the movie that you agree with in terms of indigenous people being upset with the film etc... I'm seeing their points in articles but I think it'd be easier to debate if you, specifically, brought up the criticisms you agree with. I'm seeing quite a lot from different articles and it appears very broad.

Right, but wouldn't that still be a double standard? By race-swapping someone, you're not representing them properly while drawing from their very character.

1) A lot of the complaints that I agree with stem around the cultural appropriation, James Cameron comparing real-life Indigenous issues to Avatar, the colonialist/imperialist parallels, the "white man saviour" complex, and the lack of any real representation from Indigenous people.

2) I don't see how that's a double-standard. The issue of race-swapping comes from a lack of representation. Is it realistic to have every alien character from Avatar be voiced by an Indigenous person? No. But should they have some form of representation in the form of Indigenous actors or even advisors/consultants? Absolutely.

This is only true because of how heavily Avatar takes from Indigenous cultures. If that wasn't the case, then I wouldn't see the need for them to cast Indigenous actors.

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akz said:
@boutatakeanl said:
@akz said:
@frozen said:

Big stretch but I’d say it was a solid 7. It was way better than the first one. Spider dragged down the movie a bit for me, he had no redeeming qualities to his character.

How is that statement a stretch? The only DCEU movie was Black Adam, and it was mid. MoM was rather bad, L&T was horrible, and Wakanda Forever was also just "alright", unless you feel differently about some of these movies. Personally, I wasn't too annoyed with Spider's character, which is very odd. I'll probably notice how bad his character was upon rewatching.

You should probably read his post more carefully. He never mentioned exclusively “this year”.

My bad, figured that he was implying "this year".

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan said:
@boutatakeanl said:
@geekryan said:
@boutatakeanl said:
@geekryan said:

1) A lot of the complaints that I agree with stem around the cultural appropriation, James Cameron comparing real-life Indigenous issues to Avatar, the colonialist/imperialist parallels, the "white man saviour" complex, and the lack of any real representation from Indigenous people.

2) I don't see how that's a double-standard. The issue of race-swapping comes from a lack of representation. Is it realistic to have every alien character from Avatar be voiced by an Indigenous person? No. But should they have some form of representation in the form of Indigenous actors or even advisors/consultants? Absolutely.

This is only true because of how heavily Avatar takes from Indigenous cultures. If that wasn't the case, then I wouldn't see the need for them to cast Indigenous actors.

- But why is there an issue with Cameron portraying certain indigenous issues in Avatar?

- What are the complaints regarding colonialism/imperialism? It makes sense, to an extent. The initial occupying force of humans on Pandora was headed by a guy that wanted unobtainium. It would make sense that someone like that would obtain said unobtainium by any means necessary. It's kind of just emphasizing that, primarily, the worst of humanity became the first major force of humans on Pandora.

- I don't think it's exactly a "white man savior" complex. We're shown Jake is just another mindless marine that cares little for Pandora. As he integrates with the culture of the Na'vi, he realizes the value of their culture and pandora itself. He's quite ambitious about saving what he now regards as his own culture. He had the foresight to gain control of Tarok, because he understands how important a warrior like that is to the Na'vi, and he understands that it's his chance to get them to listen to him. I think there's far more thematically positive and present here than "white savior". This is just what I initially got from why I didn't agree with the criticism.

- But at the end of the day, it's still just a fictitious world of blue humanoids. It's not like Avatar has now definitively created meaning for Indigenous history. I suppose it would probably have been best if there were some indigenous actors to give some representation, but would it really be too big of a deal at the end of the day?

BoutaTakeAnL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@geekryan: Also, wasn't the person who played the gigachad water tribe leader of indigenous descent?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 frozen  Moderator

@a8612152 said:
@socajunkie said:

75% of his posts on this site look like trolling to be honest.

Coming from someone who thinks Dora Milaje can beat Aquaman, this is ironic.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 frozen  Moderator

@akz said:
@frozen said:

Glad you enjoyed it. Spider was a bit cringe I agree.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By frozen  Moderator
@chris2kzombieki said:

A waist of time and money.

I'm really happy they dropped the ball on opening weekend. They needed to make I believe 2 billion dollars to break even. And they didn't even come close lmao

No they did not. This has been clarified recently. They needed 1.4 billion to break even, which it is on track to easily reach by next Thursday. The movie is now on track for 2 billion too as of today. It is by every metric a roaring success.

https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/zx21sj/james_cameron_refutes_the_rumor_that_avatar_needs/

If you watch the video and read the thread, you would realise that he said a decade ago that the film needed to be the 5th highest grossing film. Media outlets mistakenly took this statement and applied it to the top 5th grossing film of all time in 2022, whereas what they should have done is take the statement in the context of when it was made (2012 - in which the 5th highest grossing film ever was around 1.1 billion). Cameron recently clarified the rumour in the link above as Avatar needing to make around the 10th highest grossing film in 2022, so that would be equivalent to one of the Fast and Furious movies (1.5 billion gross).

Also, as said earlier, the film is now locked for 2 billion.

So the idea that the film is anything but a huge success is dead in the water. Especially with analysts such as Jatinder confirming that 2 billion is a lock + Cameron himself and other trades such as Variety confirming it needs 1.4 to break even not 2. And that break even number includes parts of Avatar 3 btw.

Avatar image for money_brings_happiness
Money_Brings_Happiness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I had lukewarm expectations for it. But it surpassed them in every aspect.