guardians of the galaxy or man of steel best CBM

Gamer-Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll guardians of the galaxy or man of steel best CBM (62 votes)

guardians of the galaxy 55%
man of steel 45%
 • 
CCThor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Even mos is better the guardians will still win the poll.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy both and I know Guardians will get a lot of shit for being too jokey, especially the turd blossom dance off part, but I think the movie had solid characters and a good emotional core. I'd give it to Guardians by just a little, though MoS is a really good movie as well.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn that's hard.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I've never watched GotG, but Man of Steel is one of my favorite CBMs, so I doubt I'll ever like almost anything as much as I did that film.

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardians of the Galaxy, but Man of Steel is great too.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardians of the Galaxy, but Man of Steel is great too.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Man of Steel, imo.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

Never thought I'll see "Man of Steel" and "best comic book movie" in the same sentence. The movie is an insult to the super hero icon. I mean, people can like and dislike anything for whatever reason. That's subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I don't understand how can so many Superman fans like that way, even less say it's great. Hell, I'm a casual Superman fan and after watching that movie, I was insulted, disgusted and extremely disappointed. Why so many people like that movie is just beyond me.

Guardians of the Galaxy stomps even if I focus on it's most silly moments. Sure, it didn't do characters like Peter Quill, Gamora and Ronan justice, and it was based off of Bendis' run instead of the one from Post-Annihilation period, but at least it was entertaining and I wasn't disgusted after watching it. Poor pacing, overly dark tone, Superman with no Superman and Micheal Bay like destruction scenes.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Man of Steel, easy.

Dance off scene is easily the worst climax in CBM history, meanwhile Superman vs Zod is one of the best CBM fight scene I've ever seen.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

The tornado scene with the dad is one of the worst scene in a superhero movie, that was just pretentious and stupid. Not to mention Clark was an alright lead, while the Guardians are people I actually want to root for.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardians. Still one of the better MCU films.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By adamTRMM

@krleavenger said:

Never thought I'll see "Man of Steel" and "best comic book movie" in the same sentence. The movie is an insult to the super hero icon. I mean, people can like and dislike anything for whatever reason. That's subjective and everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But I don't understand how can so many Superman fans like that way, even less say it's great. Hell, I'm a casual Superman fan and after watching that movie, I was insulted, disgusted and extremely disappointed. Why so many people like that movie is just beyond me.

Guardians of the Galaxy stomps even if I focus on it's most silly moments. Sure, it didn't do characters like Peter Quill, Gamora and Ronan justice, and it was based off of Bendis' run instead of the one from Post-Annihilation period, but at least it was entertaining and I wasn't disgusted after watching it. Poor pacing, overly dark tone, Superman with no Superman and Micheal Bay like destruction scenes.

More like Bendis' run was based on it.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FaradaySloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FaradaySloth

MOS easily.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 anthp2000  Moderator

GoTG.

Wasn't paricularly amazed by either tho.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd
deactivated-5f5eba8f0a2dd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emanresu_20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOTG has a lot of jokes but was still very fun to watch.

KanyeCosby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardians stomp in a mismatch. I’d say even GOTG 2 is way better than Man of Steel.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mutant1230

@krleavenger: You know, I actually get what you're saying. It really wasn't a very good Superman adaptation, but honestly if you look at it from the perspective of it being an action movie about an alien that lands on Earth, gets superpowers, and proceeds to kick ass, loosely based on the character arc of Superman, it was actually not half bad.

It really did explore the general concepts of a god-like alien landing on Earth and the aftermath of an entire planet's destruction in a lot of really fascinating ways. I don't think the classic Superman stories staying true to the character could've done any of that.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I enjoyed Man of Steel for what it was, but I agree that it wasn't really a Superman movie in anything outside names & costume designs.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GOTG by a landslide. MoS was mediocre AF with a Superman who has 0 like ability. Hell Groot had more personality than Supes.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deltahuman

Guardians of Galaxy was more fun to watch. MoS is better in everything else.

From the action sequences to the visuals to the background score, to the cast and acting, MoS was much better. It had a more gritty and grounded take on Superman. The only downside of MoS when compared to GoTG is that no one would get offended with GoTG while MoS was polarizing due to a radical change in how the character of Superman was portrayed. Superman was sort of campy before. MoS Superman had a more gritty and darker portrayal.

incursion2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guardians easily. MOS is average.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant1230:

You know, I actually get what you're saying. It really wasn't a very good Superman adaptation, but honestly if you look at it from the perspective of it being an action movie about an alien that lands on Earth, gets superpowers, and proceeds to kick ass, loosely based on the character arc of Superman, it was actually not half bad.

I'll admit, I would like the movie more if I ignore the fact that it is a Superman movie. But even then, I would still hate it. It's one of those movies where every scene has that vibe where it just wants to make you feel like you are watching something really important that is god knows how larger than life, even tho it just makes you even less interested. Explosions, destruction, dust, overly dark tone just makes it seem like a Michael Bay movie, and is so over exaggerated, it wouldn't even work for Dark Knight Returns or Punisher Max movie.

And even if we ignore the fact that it is Superman, our protagonist does not care about human life, but then when Zod uses Heat Vision, he cares so much to kill him. It also took Superman years to adapt to our atmosphere yet Zod needs few minutes even tho he couldn't do it the first time. Lois was interesting at the beginning but then she got boring. You also remember the fact that Zod kidnapped Lois as well? I watched the movie multiple times and they never explain why Lois was kidnapped.

In other words, everything seems either inconsistent or illogical. Clark does not save his father because...??? reasons I guess. But then we should save the dog. That was just the stupidest thing ever. Again, this is me looking at this movie as just another movie, not a Superman movie. But honestly, most of the problems with the movie weren't related to Superman himself but the fact that movie as a movie is bad (as Superman movie it's just an atrocity).

Also the pacing is terrible. We go from the beginning, to present, to point A of the flashback, then present, than another flashback, then we go even further, then we go back to the original time period and you just can't connect with the Universe because of how convoluted it is.

It really did explore the general concepts of a god-like alien landing on Earth and the aftermath of an entire planet's destruction in a lot of really fascinating ways. I don't think the classic Superman stories staying true to the character could've done any of that.

Fair enough. I respect that. Honestly I only saw forced Jesus symbolism. The movie literally screams "HE IS JESUS!!!". That is not something we should see in a Superman movie, or any movie in general. Unless the movie itself is related to religious figures.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I enjoyed Man of Steel for what it was, but I agree that it wasn't really a Superman movie in anything outside names & costume designs.

Again, fair enough. I honestly wouldn't like it even if I ignore the fact that it is a Superman movie.

It's similar to Jurassic Park sequels. They are bad as dinosaurs movies and they are bad as movies in general.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MoS has been the best DC film to date. I recognize that.

But GOTG wins here. Everything about the movie was awesome (maybe except the dance off ending but I love the song that was playing so I’ll let it slide). I was hooked on the movie from the first second, despite having my doubts about a movie with a talking tree and raccoon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b728068f211c
deactivated-5b728068f211c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MoS.

Edit: Actually, now that i remember, GotG 1 was pretty good(though the silly jokes are horrible) so GotG.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: Hmm, I get what you're saying the movie was far from perfect. I actually liked the serious tone, especially since the movie did deal with a very dark and kind of depressing topic like Planet wide destruction, being alone on a world with power you can't control, etc. Until recently most Comic Book movies that dealt with high end superpowers were always fun and wacky adventure movies. While a lot of them were great and I enjoyed them, having the movie with the same general concept take itself seriously the entire time no ands ifs or buts was refreshing and cool to see. Especially after the Avengers and Iron Man 3 took terrorism and alien invasions and essentially turned them into comedies.

The Jesus symbolism and feelings of over importance that are riddled throughout the movie always came off to me as a way to really hammer in just how powerful/important this character (loosely based on DC Comics Superman) is, and how much pressure he has to keep it a secret amongst these humans. It's like the mythical messiah or savior story except with the twist that he can't actually use or acknowledge it.

I'm not going to sit here and start yammering about how this movie was 2smart4u or something ridiculous like that. I can acknowledge that the execution of a lot of Snyder's ideas were less than stellar as you explained. But In my personal opinion Man of Steel had a lot of good ideas, and some done very well. General Zod, in the comics is a pretty B-List villain, yet the movie made his motivation, look, and attitude brilliant. Just like what Marvel did to the Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming four years later. It also showed how it things went a little differently Superman could've became a much different man, and the point he could end up leading a scary/depressing life. It's a cool idea for elseworlds story.

Overall, I get where you're coming from and even understand how you're feeling in some ways. I didn't like Deadpool 2 for a lot of the reasons you don't like MoS. Yet the vine praises it like it was the greatest movie of the year, when all I can see is flaws. I respect how you're able to have an intelligent discussion on the matter without resorting to the typical internet inflammatory reaction when someone has a different opinion

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant1230:

Hmm, I get what you're saying the movie was far from perfect. I actually liked the serious tone, especially since the movie did deal with a very dark and kind of depressing topic like Planet wide destruction, being alone on a world with power you can't control, etc. Until recently most Comic Book movies that dealt with high end superpowers were always fun and wacky adventure movies. While a lot of them were great and I enjoyed them, having the movie with the same general concept take itself seriously the entire time no ands ifs or buts was refreshing and cool to see. Especially after the Avengers and Iron Man 3 took terrorism and alien invasions and essentially turned them into comedies.

I understand where you are coming from but to me, Man of Steel is a perfect example of a movie which proves that intention and execution are not the same thing. Or rather, execution is rarely accurate to the intention the one (or this case, they) had for stuff like this. Also I did not feel any type of comedy vibe in Avengers and Iron Man 3. Actually, the only MCU movies that I think can fall into the category of comedy are Guardians of the Galaxy, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 & Thor: Ragnarok. Although that is irrelevant to this topic.

The Jesus symbolism and feelings of over importance that are riddled throughout the movie always came off to me as a way to really hammer in just how powerful/important this character (loosely based on DC Comics Superman) is, and how much pressure he has to keep it a secret amongst these humans. It's like the mythical messiah or savior story except with the twist that he can't actually use or acknowledge it.

Again, intention =/= execution. I actually do think Superman movie, story and overall character need to be larger than life. But you need to show it to me. Don't just say it in irrelevant, uninteresting ways that either makes you lose connection. Overall you don't actually feel anything but the need to skip those scenes and focus on scenes that are relevant to the plot. It does not even showcase the importance of Superman through overly dramatic scenes. It's just a little bit below over the top where it just gives you those hints that are watching those God knows what movies like it's early 2000s super hero movie even tho you don't feel connected.

Again, I'm not trying to counter what you are saying. I'm just expressing my own opinion even further.

I'm not going to sit here and start yammering about how this movie was 2smart4u or something ridiculous like that. I can acknowledge that the execution of a lot of Snyder's ideas were less than stellar as you explained. But In my personal opinion Man of Steel had a lot of good ideas, and some done very well. General Zod, in the comics is a pretty B-List villain, yet the movie made his motivation, look, and attitude brilliant. Just like what Marvel did to the Vulture in Spider-Man: Homecoming four years later. It also showed how it things went a little differently Superman could've became a much different man, and the point he could end up leading a scary/depressing life. It's a cool idea for elseworlds story.

Zod is probably the best thing about DCEU. Arguably second only to Wonder Woman, if not even better.

Overall, I get where you're coming from and even understand how you're feeling in some ways. I didn't like Deadpool 2 for a lot of the reasons you don't like MoS. Yet the vine praises it like it was the greatest movie of the year, when all I can see is flaws. I respect how you're able to have an intelligent discussion on the matter without resorting to the typical internet inflammatory reaction when someone has a different opinion

LOL it's funny how opinions are so different between people because I actually think Deadpool 2 was not only one of better Comic Book movies, but if I had to make a list of Comic Book Movies with the least amount of flaws (at least the ones I personally could or could not find/notice), Deadpool 2 would probably be at the top of that list. I just couldn't find any particular flaw with that movie (it's not one of my absolute favorites, I'm just saying I could barely notice any problems, while you are here and say how you only noticed flaws). That by itself kinda shows value to your last sentence due to how different our brains work, or rather, how people have completely different views and interpretations of certain thing. It's not justified to "shit" on one's personal and subjective opinion.

Mutant1230

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger:

LOL it's funny how opinions are so different between people because I actually think Deadpool 2 was not only one of better Comic Book movies, but if I had to make a list of Comic Book Movies with the least amount of flaws (at least the ones I personally could or could not find/notice), Deadpool 2 would probably be at the top of that list. I just couldn't find any particular flaw with that movie (it's not one of my absolute favorites, I'm just saying I could barely notice any problems, while you are here and say how you only noticed flaws). That by itself kinda shows value to your last sentence due to how different our brains work, or rather, how people have completely different views and interpretations of certain thing. It's not justified to "shit" on one's personal and subjective opinion.

Weirdly enough, I actually understand exactly where you're coming from. DP2 was definitely not some objectively flawed movie the way Fant4stic or Justice League were. Most of my criticisms come from how I didn't think it was a good adaptation of the character or a good progression of the story arc they started in the first movie. But in terms of literal story, cinematography, fight scenes, etc. It all worked decently well.

Nice talking to though, you definitely gave me something to think about and It was cool hearing a new perspective. :P

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant1230:

Weirdly enough, I actually understand exactly where you're coming from. DP2 was definitely not some objectively flawed movie the way Fant4stic or Justice League were. Most of my criticisms come from how I didn't think it was a good adaptation of the character or a good progression of the story arc they started in the first movie. But in terms of literal story, cinematography, fight scenes, etc. It all worked decently well.

I see. Makes sense. I will say however that one thing Deadpool movies fail to do is present the character in a way he should be presented. There are too many meme like references and not enough emotion and character development. HOWEVER, out of all non comic book interpretations of Deadpool (previous movie, LOL, cartoons, games...), movie version is by far the best one. What I mentioned above was minimal but at least it was there. Game versions and cartoon versions introduce him as uninteresting and heartless bastard who does nothing but kills stuff, yells about fast food and speaks nonsense all the time.

Nice talking to though, you definitely gave me something to think about and It was cool hearing a new perspective. :P

Glad to hear it. Same here. ;)

Avatar image for the_living_tribunal_24
The_living_tribunal_24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotg because cosmic.

Vivec3629

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel. I actually can't even remember most of GOTG. Except for the dance off being the final nail in making me never watch GOTG 2 (yet). I'll probably get around to it sometime.

Penguin-Dust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Guardians 1 is my favorite CBM. MoS isn’t in my Top-50 CBM’s. I don’t like MoS much. I like funny. I don’t like dourer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f34b01dd81ff
deactivated-5f34b01dd81ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel. It has better action, a better villain, better special effects and was more enjoyable overall.

nn5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GotG by far. MoS only had better villain.

Boby501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MoS is very underrated

ninetoadclown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS I guess, I didn’t really like either one.