Explanation of the Sith and Jedi Code.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So, I was recently thinking about these two Orders. Is either of them better? Some people belive that Sith one is more practical in the real world, while the Jedi is more unnatural. But where lies the truth?

Lets look on these two beings.

The Sith has a pure lust for power. All famous Lords demanded power, no matter if it was direct or indirect. Some became reallly powerful, but never really known for the Galaxy, while the others managed to rule it. It prooves that power has many forms. The question is, what is power? To kill someone stronger or beat him and spare? Lets analyze it.

1. Peace is a lie, there is only passion

If the peace would be lie, then the whole idea of Sith Academy or The Rule of Two, would make no sense. Assuming that Sith cannot follow the peace, he cannot have patience with anyone. If the passion is his only way, then he would have to kill his apprentice every time he wouldnt be satisfied. Every tolerance would be considered a weakness, because tolerance is inclining to peace, not the passion (Sidious would have to kill Vader, after he lost on Mustafar, Tyranus would have to kill Savage after he lost the king Katuunko, Vader would be dead again after he lost with Luke and more).

If Sith would used only passion, they would be destroyed in the beginning as they would not be capable of increasing their numbers.

I think that original idea was more about that utter pleace cannot exist and that passion will always be there for use.

2. Through passion, I gain strength

Yes, but only from the certain point of view. You see, Jedi can gain power from peace, so there is no real teaching in it. Its just information. The Sith Master would tell his apprentice, that while he has strength from passion and may expect death if he fails, the Jedi can expect strength from peace and can keep teach himself even if he fails. How long would you stay in Sith Academy with knowing this?

3. Through strength, I gain power

Yes, but only from the certain point of view, again. For what is srong guy good, when already someone else has power? If the power is better, than the strength, how can I manage to obtain it from my enemy. No Sith, ever obtain power from strength in some high degree, unless he already posses the power, so he could only increase it, but not gain it. The Sidious is the greatest example. He had strength, but he wouldn't gain power with it.

4. Through power, I gain victory

This, is the utter bulls**t. The power can lead you towards the victory, but it will not give it. YOU must take it or loose it. The best example would be first encounter with Obi-Wan and Darth Maul. Maul had power, Obi-Wan had nothing, but ended with victory? How is that so, when power > victory? Or Revan against Malak? Malak had more power in the chamber where the duel took place. His quote about that Revan cannot beat him, was derived from this part of Sith Code. Malak was amped with the Star Forge systems, he had many Jedi bodies, that could fully heal him during their fight and he was more or less as good as Revan in that moment. So, again the power led him to victory, but he was not able manage to take victory.

5. Through victory, my chains are broken

If, I separate this from the rest of the Code, it is only quote that actually makes sense.

6. The Force shall free me.

This, is the biggest non-sense on this list. Force will never free you. You are a Sith and you dependent on it, you are dependent on everything around it. You are slave of the Force, more than the Jedi. Yes, it can free you, by either your death (which is the greatest cotradiction in Star Wars) or with you being cutted of the Force, which is again the contradiction).

It may be used to free you from something, but not from everything you would wish.

Now, I am not saying that list makes no sense. It does. But only if we would assume that person is absolutely perfect and will never make mistake and it would have to expanded by some adds like, cunnigness or intelligence or even some Jedi aspects. And even then, it wouldn't be fully practical. Because if Code would make sense, how is that no Sith EVER was able to fulfil it? Why no one gained power forever? Why Force never freed him?

Now for the Jedi Code.

1. There is no emotion, there is peace

This depends on how you think about it. You cannot take this verbatim, as it wouldn't make sense. First of all, peace itself involves emotions and second of all, emotions like happiness or love are supposed to be familiar to the Jedi. Anakin made perfect point in this, when he said that Jedi forbid love on side, but demand it on the other side. The emotions are not expelled from the mind of the Jedi, just have to be under control and not control YOU.

2. There is no ignorance, there is the knowledge

This one makes sense, but it feels a bit unnecessary to say. I mean, everyone knows that we begin with ignorence and end with knowledge, this applies for everyone.

3. There is no passion, there is no serenity

This is very hard to judge. Passion vs serenity. Both can give and both can take. Passion is easy to obtain something, but the chance that you will loose it later is very big. However, the serenity is slow, but sure. Its basically: risk or certainty?

4. There is no chaos, there is harmony

Not true. They cannot exist together in one place, but they will still be there, waiting for their move, to kick the other out to replace them.

5. There is no death, there is the Force

Yes. this is same as number five in Sith Code, except it makes more sense.

You really want to know which is better?

None.

The idea of the first one is more unnrealistic, more dangerous, more risky. The chance that anyone will go through all this points is very low, unlesss we would take it some ridiculous degree, but not in the way Sith demands. Their main goal is to take over the Galaxy, but how many times they managed to do it? Once, and it was not really thanks to the Code as whole.

If peace is lie, how you can get power? Power cannot exist without at least some deggree of peace or harmony.

Passion, strength, power, victory will free you? No, you will desire more and more. It never ends, unless Force shall free you (by death or if it will cut you off).

The second one? Most of it is obvious things or lies.

Kreia once said, when being asked about Jedi or Sith:

"Does it matter? Of course it does, such titles allow you to break the galaxy into light and dark, categorize it. Perhaps I am neither, and I hold both as what they are, pieces of a whole. Know that I am your teacher, and that is enough."

Jedi and Sith are two Orders with more weakness than strength when they are seperated. If someone would managed to combine to best things of each other, he would dominate the Galaxy forever.

Thanks for reading and your opinions.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jedi = Do good things

Sith = Do bad things

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pizzaman

So the sith code is more flawed?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The best code in SW is either the Je'daii code, NJO code, or the code of honour the Mandalorians follow.

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

That's why I prefer the Gray Jedi, while there is no guarantee that each one will inherit the best traits of both factions, having the galaxy run by Gray Jedi (instead of the Jedi/Sith) is the closest the Star Wars universe will actually get to bringing balance to the force.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

They both have holes in them but they are flawed beings so its whatever

Jimmie_Hudson_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think youre being too literal. i do like the idea of taking best of both worlds to conquer

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandalorian code of conduct FTW!

Although I do like the quote from Kreia, I think you're overthinking them both.

For example the Sith- No peace, there is passion that could just refer to how everything is always in a state of flux, or waiting for change. They both don't always refer to the extremes of each range in their codes.

But like someone else said, the codes were just guidelines not rules.

I like to think of them like the riddles the Kung-Fu master always throws at their students to make them think more deeply on a certain topic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For the peace is a lie part, I think that one is true because the apprentice always ends up killing the master or the other way around. I'm no sith expert so maybe the word "always" is too strong, but it seems to me like they never remain partners for too long. But I agree with most of the rest

I find the Jedi code a little too restricting and emotionless. But I still like it a little better than the site one.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Penderor

@pizzaman: It is more developed, but has more errors.