AoU Black Widow controversy?

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 70

So, it has recently come to my attention that Black Widow's portrayal in Age of Ultron became the subject of controversy, and Whedon got some crap for it in response. Because I'm rather out of the loop I have no idea what this controversy actually is, and was wondering if someone could explain it to me: why was Black Widow's portrayal in Age of Ultron "controversial"? In what way was Whedon considered in the wrong for his treatment of the character? Personally, I thought BW was perfectly fine in AoU (she certainly had my favorite of her Black Widow catsuits in it, plus some sweet electrified clubs). I know some people didn't like her romance with Bruce Banner, but I rather doubt that was the cause of the controversy (and I didn't mind it anyway). So what was it that had people up in arms exactly?

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for firestormfate1919
FirestormFate1919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

They didn't like that Natasha was captured by Ultron midway through the movie and had to be rescued by the other Avengers, seeing this as cornering the only female Avenger into a damsel in distress kinda role. It was pretty unwarranted though, given she was still present for every major sequence and her being captured was a pretty minor plot point. Whedon got hounded for it a lot, and I think he eventually made an apology too. The whole thing seemed kinda ridiculous to me.

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shroudofsorrow: I haven’t heard any rcent controversy. The only controversy I remember concerning it was surrounding the line where Natasha called herself a “monster” when she was talking to Bruce about being infertile. Whedon responded that the line was talking about her actions as an assassin, not the fact she was infertile.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

maybe b/c she is the only one that seems captureable

shroudofsorrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They didn't like that Natasha was captured by Ultron midway through the movie and had to be rescued by the other Avengers, seeing this as cornering the only female Avenger into a damsel in distress kinda role. It was pretty unwarranted though, given she was still present for every major sequence and her being captured was a pretty minor plot point. Whedon got hounded for it a lot, and I think he eventually made an apology too. The whole thing seemed kinda ridiculous to me.

That DOES sound rather ridiculous. They seem to forget that, as a non-superhuman Widow is more vulnerable than the rest. Not to mention that, had it been Hawkeye who had been captured, the SJWs wouldn't have said boo. Personally, if I were Whedon I would have just ripped into my critics by pointing out their hypocrisy and stupidity rather than apologize.

@shroudofsorrow: I haven’t heard any rcent controversy. The only controversy I remember concerning it was surrounding the line where Natasha called herself a “monster” when she was talking to Bruce about being infertile. Whedon responded that the line was talking about her actions as an assassin, not the fact she was infertile.

That also sounds stupid to me. Geez, what is the world of critics coming to?

IAmVerySmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By IAmVerySmart1

I think the criticism was aimed at Black Widow calling herself a monster for being infertile.

I myself too thought how the dialogue was written was stupid. I am not sure why would any woman call herself not normal just because she can't bear children. After all, would a man call himself not normal just because his sperm count is low or is impotent?

ignVela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the criticism was aimed at Black Widow calling herself a monster for being infertile.

I myself too thought how the dialogue was written was stupid. I am not sure why would any woman call herself not normal just because she can't bear children. After all, would a man call himself not normal just because his sperm count is low or is impotent?

Yes.

ZackVoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was stupid criticism.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Royal_Warrior

I thought it was because Jeremy Renner joked she was the slut of the avengers

IAmVerySmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ignvela said:
@iamverysmart1 said:

Yes.

Alright my own poor choice of words. Black Widow called herself a monster. The dialogue sounds out of place.

It clearly makes sense for Bruce Banner to refer to himself as a monster. Black Widow? She's peak human who just happened to have some form of disability. That disability did nothing that the vast majority of the world will fear or despise her for, unlike that of Bruce Banner. Calling herself monster is weird, and at worst inappropriate.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Royal_Warrior

@iamverysmart1: it wasn't about the infertility, she was talking about the things she done during her time as a Russian Assassin/operative which made her a monster, that's what I got from that scene anyway

IAmVerySmart1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamverysmart1: it wasn't about the infertility, she was talking about the things she done during her time as a Russian Assassin/operative which made her a monster, that's what I got from that scene anyway

I will have to re-watch that scene. Seems that we each took away a different interpretation of that scene.

If she was referring to her time as an assassin that made her a monster, then why did she had to mention something like "infertility". That word stuck on me the most and it could be why I interpreted the scene in that way.

Royal_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iamverysmart1: yeah same it's been awhile since I've watched AoU so you could be right, I'll get back to you tomorrow or something