• 88 results
DarthLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By DarthLogan

Doom takes this easily. Thanos is a Barney colored ripoff of Darkseid with a funny ripple Skrull chin. 

GodDamnIronMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52  Edited By GodDamnIronMan

Doom : 1 week prep, with Cosmic power, fight at his own home base...

Thanos : No prep, no extra powers, fight at enemy's home base...

hmm...doesn't sounds good for Thanos. Thanos is smarter though.

Omniscience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Omniscience

@Twitless: agreed.

Omniscience.

Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_am_Warlock said:

@pooty said:

@Supermanwithatan01: I understand why you think Doom is equal to Thanos in terms of prep. It just seems like after they get the power that Thanos does more with it. Doom couldn't even sleep when he had the Beyonder's power. Couldn't keep Cap America dead. Doom defeated the MOD. Thanos defeated Celestials and abstract beings. So in terms of achieving power I honestly see your point. But in terms of harnessing and effectively using that power, I think Thanos has "prepped" himself to make him more suitable for that much power.

Doom never defeated MOD, all he did was let MOD fight Reed and Cylde before he became MOD. After MOD was broken down, powerless, Doom shows up and gloat.

Victor admitted he could have killed Clyde when he first tracked him down. The whole point was revenge and torture of Clyde. Doom killed him at the end of the story.

The first them Doom and MOD fought, that was a random encounter where Doom got humiliated, Latveria destroyed, him bfr across time.

Very true. So if Thanos would have fought the MOD the first time you're suggesting he would have won? (if your answer is yes then you're a moron). Doom has already been shown to absorb power from reality warpers. I think thats was was being hinted at when they state his power is growing. Thing actually calls it an upgrade. Writers ignored it.

There are 2 instance to compare from Dr. Doom and Thanos:

1. Infinity Wars - Dr. Doom with Kang sneaked into Magus laire and fought Magus and was doing well, but became inconsequential when LT switched the power of gauntlet on. It was then made clear that Thanos was the reality's only hope. It was Thanos who stood against Magus in the end and with help of Adam Warlock he was defeated.

2. Marvel Universe The End: where the reality was in danger , Doom plan was to go back in time and prevent this and was failing miserably, while Thanos's plan was to find the source of the power which he did. Not a clear sign, as Thanos was destined to get the HOTU, but shows the difference in perspective.

In fact Magus with multitude of cosmic cubes, with knoweledge to actually play with abstracts and gods alike as pupet takes an alternate Thanos as his stragiest saying in all of reality there is no better schemer than Thanos of Titan.

1) Infinity wars was written by Starlin. The creator of Thanos. In fact, Every one of Thanos' "amazing" feats come from Starlin. Infinity Wars, Death showed Thanos the Infinity well so he knew where every gem was. Thats how he acquired them in the first place. 

2) Also written by Starlin. Thanos at the end of the arc acknowledges he was "guided" to the power that he was "preordained" to have. Thats his very own words. The relationship between himself and the writer is obviously active, especially since TOAA in that story IS Thanos' true creator in Starlin.  

Magus is the EVIL version of Adam Warlock who Thanos is terrified of. Doom defeated both whilst they tried to sneak attack them. In fact, Doom would have had the infinity Gauntlet (save the Reality gem) had Eternity not fu**ed him, Another grand Starlin moment. Read my previous posts. 

Marquis of Death isn't a top 3 Doom feat. Dooms consistency spreads through different writers. Avengers Children's Crusade: godhood, Secret Wars: godhood, defeating Dormammu, Asgard, Getting fuc*ed from having the IG... All different writers. The Master of Death isn't a bad story, Doom did kill a Watcher. Doom did kill the Marquis in the end. The storyline is meant to show the perseverance of Doom and the terrible tenacity he has when he prepped for a REALITY WARPING BEAST. Which he destroyed. Jesus thats ALL Thanos ever does is lets everyone else do the fighting then Step in to claim the prize. 

Doom wins this easily.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CitizenBane said:

I've never understood why people think Doom beat the Marquis of Death. If anything, he failed miserably even with millenia of prep. Doom spends millions of years building up his power to the point where he can kill a Watcher, and even then by his own admission the Marquis' power dwarfed his by a mile. Failing to find his own way of depowering the Marquis, he waits for Reed Richards to reduce Wyncham to a powerless husk (with less than a hour of prep, if that), steps in to deliver the killing blow, and then claims that was his plan the whole time. His plan for defeating the Marquis of Death was to stand back and watch Reed Richards defeat the Marquis of Death because he couldn't do it himself. That feat doesn't exactly scream prep master. It's taking the adage "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" and inflating it to ludicrous proportions. Literally the only thing that suggests someone could regard it as an incredible prep feat for Doom is his mere claim that Reed beating the Marquis was the result of the two of them being Doom's pawns the whole time. This is more than likely a classic example of the most prominent facet of Doom's personality: the arrogant jackass. At face value, the immediate inference is that Doom let someone else do what he couldn't because their actions suited his own needs.

I agree with some of this. But the entire point of the story was to add shame to the Marquis' weakest moment. Doom commented on being able to kill Clyde before he became the Marquis of Death. Like I said before, Doom was draining Franklin of his power, he could have done the same thing to Clyde, obviously the story wasn't meant to be about power, that stories been told and Doom prevailed. Its meant to a revenge story. Which it was. However, It is probably one of my least favorite Doom stories because they make him look like a naive moron.

I mean, this is the guy who had the Infinity Gauntlet, created his own universe, lost it to some fodder demons, and then tried to brush it off with some guff about how he felt godhood was "beneath him" after Reed and Valeria came to rescue him from captivity. An unwillingness to accept any kind of inadequacy on his own part is perfectly in character for Victor.

Thanos only created the Gauntlet because he had the locations and information on every single gem that he received from Death' Infinity Well. Like I said before, the guy had a road map to each location. He tricked idiots or "naive" characters into giving up things they had no idea what was really afoot. Plus Thanos' best feats are under the same writer that created the character. People are idiots if they don't consider it at least somewhat plagued by favoritism

As for Thanos, I've never regarded his HOTU-acquiring feat as something impressive prep-wise ------ he basically stumbled upon it by accident without even knowing what he was looking for. The Defenders were accompanying Thanos on that trip. If one of them, say Namor, had wandered off and managed to find the room with the HOTU, I doubt any of us would be holding that up as an example of Namor the prep master.

I agree with this and also like to add that he was meant to have it. "Guided" to the power and that he was "preordained" to have it. Hint, hint another Starlin creation. Thanos lovers ignore this but it is what it is.
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#56  Edited By Saren

@Supermanwithatan01 said:

I agree with some of this. But the entire point of the story was to add shame to the Marquis' weakest moment. Doom commented on being able to kill Clyde before he became the Marquis of Death. Like I said before, Doom was draining Franklin of his power, he could have done the same thing to Clyde, obviously the story wasn't meant to be about power, that stories been told and Doom prevailed. Its meant to a revenge story. Which it was. However, It is probably one of my least favorite Doom stories because they make him look like a naive moron.

Pretty much anyone could have killed Clyde before he became the Marquis of Death. He was catatonic in an induced dream-state. Give Aunt May a gun and even she could have killed Clyde before he became the Marquis of Death. I'm not sure she even needs the gun.

As for the revenge aspect, it's unlikely because it's not really in character for Doom to use other people as proxies for his personal vendettas ---- especially considering that standing back and waiting for Reed Richards to defeat the Marquis would have been tantamount to an acceptance on his part that he was intellectually inferior to Reed, something he'd find unbearable.

Thanos only created the Gauntlet because he had the locations and information on every single gem that he received from Death' Infinity Well. Like I said before, the guy had a road map to each location. He tricked idiots or "naive" characters into giving up things they had no idea what was really afoot.

At least Thanos acquired the Gauntlet by actually doing something. Doom acquired the Gauntlet because someone dropped it in his vicinity while he was unconscious. When he woke up, there were two Infinity Gauntlets lying before him. It was the most ridiculous stroke of luck imaginable ---- apart from maybe the stroke of luck that gave him the Life Force.

Plus Thanos' best feats are under the same writer that created the character. People are idiots if they don't consider it at least somewhat plagued by favoritism

Sure, but their canonicity isn't up for debate.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CitizenBane said:

I agree with some of this. But the entire point of the story was to add shame to the Marquis' weakest moment. Doom commented on being able to kill Clyde before he became the Marquis of Death. Like I said before, Doom was draining Franklin of his power, he could have done the same thing to Clyde, obviously the story wasn't meant to be about power, that stories been told and Doom prevailed. Its meant to a revenge story. Which it was. However, It is probably one of my least

favorite Doom stories because they make him look like a naive moron.

Pretty much anyone could have killed Clyde before he became the Marquis of Death. He was catatonic in an induced dream-state. Give Aunt May a gun and even she could have killed Clyde before he became the Marquis of Death. I'm not sure she even needs the gun.

As for the revenge aspect, it's unlikely because it's not really in character for Doom to use other people as proxies for his personal vendettas ---- especially considering that standing back and waiting for Reed Richards to defeat the Marquis would have been tantamount to an acceptance on his part that he was intellectually inferior to Reed, something he'd find unbearable.

The Fantastic Four were channeling infinite universes Fantatsic Four powers. It isn't like the Marquis was defeated by a bunch of street level characters. The implication from the story is that if killing him was all he wanted to achieve then he could have, but he wanted him to feel shame. Call it Revenge but I consider it more vengeance. Like I said, its not mean to be a power feat, merely a tenacity of the character one.

Thanos only created the Gauntlet because he had the locations and information on every single gem that he received from Death' Infinity Well. Like I said before, the guy had a road map to each location. He tricked idiots or "naive" characters into giving up things they had no idea what was really afoot.

At least Thanos acquired the Gauntlet by actually doing something. Doom acquired the Gauntlet because someone dropped it in his vicinity while he was unconscious. When he woke up, there were two Infinity Gauntlets lying before him. It was the most ridiculous stroke of luck imaginable ---- apart from maybe the stroke of luck that gave him the Life Force.

Haha agreed about the luck from IG but regardless he had them, what I was referring to was him having it from the Magus.
It wasn't luck that gave him the life force it was a powerful spell. The events that had transpired were supposedly dated back to the House of M storyline. Not luck. The only luck involved was that Doom was consumed by the power and still wasn't killed before he got angry. I agree that Thanos was actually doing something but are you suggesting Doom, having knowledge of the locations for each gem and Death on his team would not have achieved said goal?

Plus Thanos' best feats are under the same writer that created the character. People are idiots if they don't consider it at least somewhat plagued by favoritism

Sure, but their canonicity isn't up for debate.

I wasn't debating the argument over canon or not, merely stating that Thanos didn't need luck, the odds were obviously in his favor in each story. Especially with his creator as the writer.

Obviously marvel can't have Doom defeat Thanos, or Thanos defeat Doom fair and square. That makes arguably Marvels greatest villain less than Marvels favorite villain. Or one writers at least.
I_am_Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By I_am_Warlock

Victor admitted he could have killed Clyde when he first tracked him down. The whole point was revenge and torture of Clyde. Doom killed him at the end of the story.

MOD himself admitted Reed could kill Clyde as well, in fact asked Reed to kill Clyde. Clyde was brain dead, trapped into a giant machine, anyone could him Clyde.

Doom killed him AFTER Reed Richard fought MOD, had him on the ground powerless, all Doom did was finish the job and gloated. Thats all.

Very true. So if Thanos would have fought the MOD the first time you're suggesting he would have won? (if your answer is yes then you're a moron). Doom has already been shown to absorb power from reality warpers. I think thats was was being hinted at when they state his power is growing. Thing actually calls it an upgrade. Writers ignored it.

When on earth did i suggest Thanos would have won against MOD? What i am however saying is everything the story suggested MOD > Doom and Doom didnt do anything noteworthy in the story arc to warrent any sort of prep feat. Doom has awesome prep feat, The Master of Doom story arc just wasnt one of them.

Doom actually did get a boost , having hard figuring out the issue number, where he relinquishes science and give away one of his chick to gain mastery over sorcery. That has never been retconned.

1) Infinity wars was written by Starlin. The creator of Thanos. In fact, Every one of Thanos' "amazing" feats come from Starlin. Infinity Wars, Death showed Thanos the Infinity well so he knew where every gem was. Thats how he acquired them in the first place.

Being written by Starlin has nothing to do with the validity of feat. The majority of Thanos series is written by Starlin. Of course if you can name me 1 series, apart from this fail of Avengers Assemble that suggest Thanos is any weaker with prep i would love to see.

Death never showed Thanos anything, Infinity Well is something Thanos himself used as a source of knoweledge.

His prep feat was outsmarting the Elders some of whom were vastly more powerful than Thanos.

2) Also written by Starlin. Thanos at the end of the arc acknowledges he was "guided" to the power that he was "preordained" to have. Thats his very own words. The relationship between himself and the writer is obviously active, especially since TOAA in that story IS Thanos' true creator in Starlin.

Again refer to the above post. Being written by Starlin has no bearing. Furthemore, this is what i said, you obviously choose not to read it.

2. Marvel Universe The End: where the reality was in danger , Doom plan was to go back in time and prevent this and was failing miserably, while Thanos's plan was to find the source of the power which he did. Not a clear sign, as Thanos was destined to get the HOTU, but shows the difference in perspective.

So what i am trying to say is, thats Doom's way of prep try and take powers away from someone, while Thanos generally goes for a power source .

Being destined to gain the powers, its right there in my post.

Magus is the EVIL version of Adam Warlock who Thanos is terrified of. Doom defeated both whilst they tried to sneak attack them. In fact, Doom would have had the infinity Gauntlet (save the Reality gem) had Eternity not fu**ed him, Another grand Starlin moment. Read my previous posts.

Thanos is terrified of Warlock? Would love to see a proof of this?

Doom sneaked up on them, but never defeated either one. Neither Warlock nor Magus, at any point were knocked out. The moment IG was activated Doom becomes inconsequential to the story, and it was made clear Thanos was reality's only hope not Doom.

Furthermore, Magus specifically picked Thanos as his lackey, because he knew that was the best schemer.

Marquis of Death isn't a top 3 Doom feat. Dooms consistency spreads through different writers. Avengers Children's Crusade: godhood, Secret Wars: godhood, defeating Dormammu, Asgard, Getting fuc*ed from having the IG... All different writers.

So much miscontext feat. Avengers Childern Crusade Doom pretended to love Wanda and willing asked her to sacrifice her powers which he stole, then Dr. Doom gets beaten by Young Avengers not much of a prep feat if you ask me.

Secret Wars he steals the power of a novice god, who has no clue what he is doing, cant control the power and loses it.

Defeating Dormammu, i havent read that so wont touch it. Issue reference please?

he got an alternate IG then lost he then he pretends he finds god hood boring, and i am meant to take that seriously?

come on.

Having different writers doesnt improve the validity of feats.

The Master of Death isn't a bad story, Doom did kill a Watcher. Doom did kill the Marquis in the end. The storyline is meant to show the perseverance of Doom and the terrible tenacity he has when he prepped for a REALITY WARPING BEAST. Which he destroyed. Jesus thats ALL Thanos ever does is lets everyone else do the fighting then Step in to claim the prize.

Was is Master of Doom or Death? I keep getting confused.

Killing Watcher with so much of prep isnt a big feat, Doom has far better prep feats than that. Not even sure why you are hanging on to that one.

And his prep for Reality Warping Beast was let him fight Reed and get beating by him, then gloat not much of a prep feat.

Thanos prep feat dont all include godhood, in fact Thanos prep feat like Avengers Celestial Quest, Infinity Crusade, Infinity Abyss, Thanos Imperative (which was just tricking them to kill him, weird plot) he has done things thats not achieve god hood . Beside you are talking as if getting god hood is a bad thing?

Doom wins this easily.

In an encounter with lopsided prep, of course he does. Never even disagreed that. In fact i said that much myself. One on one not so much. Also worthy nothing i dont think there is a huge difference between Thanos and Doom, they have 2 different techniques, Thanos just has better powers and resources.

For the record, as far as i am concerned, the real prep monster in Marvel is neither Thanos nor Doom, but Reed Richards .

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By jeanroygrant

@King-Stranglehold da first said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Thanos stomps.

I wouldn't say stop since Doom is amazing with prep time. But Thanos does win.

I guess.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_am_Warlock said:

MOD himself admitted Reed could kill Clyde as well, in fact asked Reed to kill Clyde. Clyde was brain dead, trapped into a giant machine, anyone could him Clyde.

Doom killed him AFTER Reed Richard fought MOD, had him on the ground powerless, all Doom did was finish the job and gloated. Thats all.

I'm not disputing that, I'm saying that the storyline had nothing to do with power, though Doom was clearly more powerful that before. He succeeded in his vengeance. I don't believe the story was meant to express Doom killing a supremely powerful being, but showing the lengths Victor would go to in order to regain his honor. It's not my favorite story.

When on earth did i suggest Thanos would have won against MOD? What i am however saying is everything the story suggested MOD > Doom and Doom didnt do anything noteworthy in the story arc to warrent any sort of prep feat. Doom has awesome prep feat, The Master of Doom story arc just wasnt one of them.

Doom actually did get a boost , having hard figuring out the issue number, where he relinquishes science and give away one of his chick to gain mastery over sorcery. That has never been retconned.

I apologize that's the implication I though you were making. The only point I'm making is that Doom did indeed reach his goal of killing the Marquis of Death. It wasn't a plot about power, but about vengeance. Thats how I interpreted it at least but I could be wrong.

Being written by Starlin has nothing to do with the validity of feat. The majority of Thanos series is written by Starlin. Of course if you can name me 1 series, apart from this fail of Avengers Assemble that suggest Thanos is any weaker with prep i would love to see.

The point I am making is that all of Thanos' major feats are done under 1 writer that insist on nodding powerful artifacts for the character that he himself created. The argument on another thread of Thanos vs Richards and Doom is that Thanos' feats far outweigh Reed or Victor. That's simply not true. Dooms feats are spread out over other writers, Thanos' are from his own creator. That is a factor whether you like it or not.

Death never showed Thanos anything, Infinity Well is something Thanos himself used as a source of knoweledge.

His prep feat was outsmarting the Elders some of whom were vastly more powerful than Thanos.

2 things:
1) The infinity well was shown to Thanos by Death In her realm.
2) I'm not disputing the feat of outsmarting the elders but Champion and the Runner aren't exactly wiz's. In Fact I don't think any of them have very many intellectual feats at all.

Again refer to the above post. Being written by Starlin has no bearing. Furthemore, this is what i said, you obviously choose not to read it.

Starlin created the character in 1973. ALL of Thanos' impressive feats are under Starlin. Starlin's favoritism is clearly apparent and The End isn't really a prep feat as I've already stated. It's clear in the comic.

So what i am trying to say is, thats Doom's way of prep try and take powers away from someone, while Thanos generally goes for a power source .

This I agree with and have nothing to add. 

Being destined to gain the powers, its right there in my post.

Thanos is terrified of Warlock? Would love to see a proof of this?

Theres a Thanos vs Warlock vs Thanos vs Magus thread on the Vine. There are scans posted from the infinity Saga and another arc that show Thanos trembling in fear of Adam, and one I believe (im not positive) of Magus mocking Thanos for his fear. They're on the thread.

Doom sneaked up on them, but never defeated either one. Neither Warlock nor Magus, at any point were knocked out. The moment IG was activated Doom becomes inconsequential to the story, and it was made clear Thanos was reality's only hope not Doom.

Wrong, Warlock attacked Doom from behind. Doom blasted both he and Magus then ordered Magus give the Gauntlet. Slowly. During that time Eternity got the Living Tribunal to basically turn the power back on. Doom was fu**ed from Eternity/LT... I still haven't forgiven them lol

Furthermore, Magus specifically picked Thanos as his lackey, because he knew that was the best schemer.

Marquis of Death isn't a top 3 Doom feat. Dooms consistency spreads through different writers. Avengers Children's Crusade: godhood, Secret Wars: godhood, defeating Dormammu, Asgard, Getting fuc*ed from having the IG... All different writers.

So much miscontext feat. Avengers Childern Crusade Doom pretended to love Wanda and willing asked her to sacrifice her powers which he stole, then Dr. Doom gets beaten by Young Avengers not much of a prep feat if you ask me.

Secret Wars he steals the power of a novice god, who has no clue what he is doing, cant control the power and loses it.

I don't find this any different that stealing the gems from the elders, except Thanos had time to prep and Death backing him. Doom had to put it all together.

Defeating Dormammu, i havent read that so wont touch it. Issue reference please? 

It's a what if comic, Strange falls ill, Doom has to save the realm from Dormmamu and does so like a boss. What if: Doom was sorcerer supreme. Also in Strange and Doom Triumph and Torment Strange contemplates on whether Doom threw the fight in order to get help from Strange, knowing Doom to proud to ask for help without it sounding like a command. Obviously the what ifs aren't in the 616 but the watcher does state that this is what would have happened had Doom become Sorcerer Supreme. I've been in arguments against "What ifs" mattering but I lost due to the semantics of certain issues.

he got an alternate IG then lost he then he pretends he finds god hood boring, and i am meant to take that seriously?

lol I was using it as a reference to how much of a joke IG has become. But in all honestly Doom came close to having the power and would have if not for Eternity.

Having different writers doesnt improve the validity of feats.

I disagree with this. Black Panther defeated Surfer with an arm bar in Black Panther story.. Hulk has defeated Thor in Hulks story... Batman defeated Superman in Bats arcs... Even in the Spiderman stories Venom/Carnage bested both the Ghost rider and Silver Surfer... The writer and story arc are completely biased given the story. If I had written a massive story and created my own character I'd imagine I'd be biased to give him upperhand or better nods more often then not. There's nothing wrong with it but its obviously a factor. Thanos Imperative is my favorite Thanos story and it is the only one to my knowledge, besides Annihilation, not written by Starlin. Its clearly a factor.

The Master of Death isn't a bad story, Doom did kill a Watcher. Doom did kill the Marquis in the end. The storyline is meant to show the perseverance of Doom and the terrible tenacity he has when he prepped for a REALITY WARPING BEAST. Which he destroyed. Jesus thats ALL Thanos ever does is lets everyone else do the fighting then Step in to claim the prize.

Was is Master of Doom or Death? I keep getting confused.

His name is the Marquis of Death and the story is called the Master of Doom.

Killing Watcher with so much of prep isnt a big feat, Doom has far better prep feats than that. Not even sure why you are hanging on to that one.

Alright I'm not using killing the Marquis of death as a prep feat, I'm using it as a feat showing how determined Doom can be. The feat isn't killing the reality warper, its not dying through insatiable odds. I was expecting Doom to drain Clyde's power from him via his suit how he did to Franklin. Seems like it's plausible by comic logic but the MOD storyline was vague to say the least on Dooms "upgrade".

And his prep for Reality Warping Beast was let him fight Reed and get beating by him, then gloat not much of a prep feat.

I agree, stupid story but it makes sense following the logic that its about Triumph and Shame not just killing him.

Thanos prep feat dont all include godhood, in fact Thanos prep feat like Avengers Celestial Quest, Infinity Crusade, Infinity Abyss, Thanos Imperative (which was just tricking them to kill him, weird plot) he has done things thats not achieve god hood . Beside you are talking as if getting god hood is a bad thing?

I'm saying when Thanos has omnipotence of the IG he used Death's Infinity Well to get a headstart and initiated the idea of the Gauntlet. Doom was fu**ed in my opinion because of the writers obvious love for Thanos. Everyone is inclined to benefit their creation with more attention. Its proven in a lot of comics. Thanos has amazing feats, but his "The End" feat I don't consider impressive, the IG is the only one I really am impressed by and given the same scenario I feel with the Infinity Well and Death backing him would have achieved the same thing. He almost did. 

I don't like it when Marvel makes Thanos or Doom or Warlock or Phoenix or Classic Strange all powerful. It kind of defeats the purpose. Especially when they have Thanos be ruthless and sure of himself but then gives the IG a way? Lame. Or Doom expending the infinite power of the Beyonder long enough to get it taken from him? Seems redundant and makes Doom like like an oaf.

Doom wins this easily.

In an encounter with lopsided prep, of course he does. Never even disagreed that. In fact i said that much myself. One on one not so much. Also worthy nothing i dont think there is a huge difference between Thanos and Doom, they have 2 different techniques, Thanos just has better powers and resources.

Yeah on the other page I said this is stupid to give 1 prep and powers vs the other with no prep. It's unfair and makes the fight pointless. I see Thanos = Doom in prep and Intelligence. Thanos >> Doom base power wise. And both characters get shafted for the sake of continuity.

For the record, as far as i am concerned, the real prep monster in Marvel is neither Thanos nor Doom, but Reed Richards .

See it like this. 

Classic Stephen Strange >> Reed Richards > Victor von Doom = Thanos. 

Like you said Reed and Doom do not aspire universal dominance.  With all things even I believe Doom could do the same things as Thanos and Vice/Verca (Except the magic things like defeating Le Fay or Dormammu with magic) 

In a fight with no prep Thanos wins 10/10, in a fair fight with prep I say neither win. 50/50 Down the middle.

Great debating btw.

I_am_Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By I_am_Warlock

@jeanroygrant said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Thanos stomps.

I guess.

Am i reading the OP wrong, it appears only Doom has prep time?

A week a lopsided prep would mean Doom has so many ways to beat Thanos, if its both prep than i agree.

I_am_Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By I_am_Warlock

I'm not disputing that, I'm saying that the storyline had nothing to do with power, though Doom was clearly more powerful that before. He succeeded in his vengeance. I don't believe the story was meant to express Doom killing a supremely powerful being, but showing the lengths Victor would go to in order to regain his honor. It's not my favorite story.

We are debating 2 different thing, its not much of a prep feat.

Also how about Dr. Strange/ Dr. Doom: Triumphs and Torment? That was the most awesome Doom graphic novel i have read, and that would be something i would quote, you know playing Vishanti, Dr. Strange as well as Mephisto as a fool, is awesome.

I apologize that's the implication I though you were making. The only point I'm making is that Doom did indeed reach his goal of killing the Marquis of Death. It wasn't a plot about power, but about vengeance. Thats how I interpreted it at least but I could be wrong.

Fair enough, i still dont see how that shows Dr. Doom has prep genius, specially in light of so many other awesome things he has done.

The point I am making is that all of Thanos' major feats are done under 1 writer that insist on nodding powerful artifacts for the character that he himself created. The argument on another thread of Thanos vs Richards and Doom is that Thanos' feats far outweigh Reed or Victor. That's simply not true. Dooms feats are spread out over other writers, Thanos' are from his own creator. That is a factor whether you like it or not.

Inconsequential if its under 1 writer because more than 90% of Thanos series, that are still canon is under Starlin. Can you name me one big cross over arc apart from Avengers Celestial Quest that is not under Starlin and is still canon.

I did not know about your other argument and no i have read virtually every Thanos solo issues and ever Fantastic Four issue till 611 (never got my hands on Marvel Now) and they have comparable prep, in fact Reed has some outstanding prep.

I dont see Starlin writing it as a factor, unless you can quote some story arc where Thanos with prep is handled with lot less respect.

2 things:
2) I'm not disputing the feat of outsmarting the elders but Champion and the Runner aren't exactly wiz's. In Fact I don't think any of them have very many intellectual feats at all.

Infinity Well being in Death's realm is inconsequential because it was never Death who gave him the knoweledge, it was Thanos seeing knoweledge. Just unlike us normal folks he did not good, he went and asked the Infinity Well.

Thanos has in fact used the well against Death wish during Infinity Abyss.

Its wasnt about Champions have intellectual feat (Grandmaster for one actually does) but overcoming great odds, like being able to take the gem off Inbetween a being as power as Galactus (Which he did via plot but lets pretend its prep :p )

Starlin created the character in 1973. ALL of Thanos' impressive feats are under Starlin. Starlin's favoritism is clearly apparent and The End isn't really a prep feat as I've already stated. It's clear in the comic.

Again inconsequential.

I am not even potraying The End as a feat for Thanos, what i am however using that is to show how 2 approach an incident. One tries to steal power from a being who already is powerful, examples: Beyonder (both pre and post retcon), Silver Surfer, Galactus, Odin etc, while the other goes for a power source Cosmic cube, synthetic gem, infinity gauntlet, heart of the universe.

Also in Marvel The End, Thanos did something he claims TOAA couldnt do ;) so yeah

Theres a Thanos vs Warlock vs Thanos vs Magus thread on the Vine. There are scans posted from the infinity Saga and another arc that show Thanos trembling in fear of Adam, and one I believe (im not positive) of Magus mocking Thanos for his fear. They're on the thread.

Point me to the thread will you? I am one of the biggest Warlock fan and have every of his appearence in my collection (apart from Annihilation: Earthfall) and Thanos has never been shown to be scared of Magus or Warlock, let alone tremble in fear.

If there is one, i am 100% its out of context, given Thanos has actually fought and beaten both of them, in seperate occasion.

Thanos has a connection with Warlock, during Final Threat (Thanos second major event) Warlock emerges from the synthetic gem, the thing was the gem had Thanos's life history in it, something Warlock shared.

Thanos knows warlock better than Warlock and vice versa. They however are not even in the same powerful level, Warlock as well as Magus are weaker than Thanos.

Wrong, Warlock attacked Doom from behind. Doom blasted both he and Magus then ordered Magus give the Gauntlet. Slowly. During that time Eternity got the Living Tribunal to basically turn the power back on. Doom was fu**ed from Eternity/LT... I still haven't forgiven them lol

Point me to what i said was wrong ?

Doom lost because after Magus had IG he was untouchable by Doom's class, Thanos/ Warlock could because Reality Gem meant Thanos had the ability to fight back, and similar between Warlock and Magus ment they could share the power of IG as long as they touch each other.

I don't find this any different that stealing the gems from the elders, except Thanos had time to prep and Death backing him. Doom had to put it all together.

Death never backed Thanos, after all Death was scared of In Betweener and it was her grudge against In betweener why Death let Thanos go against the elders.

The prep feat was he overcame impossible odds, became a god, outsmarted people who were known as the smartest in the universe (Grand Master) , as well to cement the position that when Thanos sets out to do something he does.

lol I was using it as a reference to how much of a joke IG has become. But in all honestly Doom came close to having the power and would have if not for Eternity.

I dont get it, Doom tried to pull a fast one on him but failed, also you are missing the point that it was Warlock who manipulated each of the abstract to finally get them to make IG work.

Its not much of a prep from Doom

I'm saying when Thanos has omnipotence of the IG he used Death's Infinity Well to get a headstart and initiated the idea of the Gauntlet. Doom was fu**ed in my opinion because of the writers obvious love for Thanos. Everyone is inclined to benefit their creation with more attention. Its proven in a lot of comics. Thanos has amazing feats, but his "The End" feat I don't consider impressive, the IG is the only one I really am impressed by and given the same scenario I feel with the Infinity Well and Death backing him would have achieved the same thing. He almost did.

I don't like it when Marvel makes Thanos or Doom or Warlock or Phoenix or Classic Strange all powerful. It kind of defeats the purpose. Especially when they have Thanos be ruthless and sure of himself but then gives the IG a way? Lame. Or Doom expending the infinite power of the Beyonder long enough to get it taken from him? Seems redundant and makes Doom like like an oaf.

Firstly having access to Infinity Well is a bonus for Thanos, which is why i said he has access to better resources. Its just an additional resources.

As per Doom he does have feats, and his feats have been different, i respect Doom, always have, but keep them in different regards.

Phoenix and Classic Strange are for reasons unknown to me, overblown on comicvine.

See it like this.

Like you said Reed and Doom do not aspire universal dominance. With all things even I believe Doom could do the same things as Thanos and Vice/Verca (Except the magic things like defeating Le Fay or Dormammu with magic)

In a fight with no prep Thanos wins 10/10, in a fair fight with prep I say neither win. 50/50 Down the middle.

Great debating btw.

Classic Strange hasnt done jack to suggest he is better at prep than either Reed, Doom or Thanos, nothing. Not sure why he is overblown.

Thanos > Doom in prep, because Thanos has better resources and better powerful, if we even the odds then yes i think they are about equal, both however pale against Reed, who seem to be create whatever you want. Galactus is a problem, well here's anti-galactus robot, he created that off panel. Franklin's reality warping power is a problem, here's a collar to subside his powers, created on a fly, Magneto is a problem, he created a gun to nullify his powers.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By jeanroygrant

@I_am_Warlock said:

@jeanroygrant said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Thanos stomps.

I guess.

A week a lopsided prep would mean Doom has so many ways to beat Thanos, if its both prep than i agree.

Both have prep

I_am_Warlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By I_am_Warlock

@jeanroygrant said:

Both have prep

OP doesnt say anything about Thanos's prep. It says Doom has prep and Thanos doesnt have IG.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By jeanroygrant

@I_am_Warlock said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Both have prep

OP doesnt say anything about Thanos's prep. It says Doom has prep and Thanos doesnt have IG.

Doom wins easily than.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@I_am_Warlock said:

@jeanroygrant said:

@jeanroygrant said:

Thanos stomps.

I guess.

Good point. I think Doom wins now.

ToO_RaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By ToO_RaW

SMH. Somewhere along the lines of this thread I read someone pouting over the fact that all of Thanos' feats are under Starlin. Starlin has made Thanos a consistent character. How can you complain about that? I would much rather consistency than different writers messing up other characters with potential.

Supermanwithatan01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@I_am_Warlock said:

We are debating 2 different thing, its not much of a prep feat.

Also how about Dr. Strange/ Dr. Doom: Triumphs and Torment? That was the most awesome Doom graphic novel i have read, and that would be something i would quote, you know playing Vishanti, Dr. Strange as well as Mephisto as a fool, is awesome. 

Agreed. Badass story.

Fair enough, i still dont see how that shows Dr. Doom has prep genius, specially in light of so many other awesome things he has done. 

It doesn't it shows his willpower thats my point.

Inconsequential if its under 1 writer because more than 90% of Thanos series, that are still canon is under Starlin. Can you name me one big cross over arc apart from Avengers Celestial Quest that is not under Starlin and is still canon.

It isn't inconsequential, it proves the stories are clearly biased towards one character. 

I did not know about your other argument and no i have read virtually every Thanos solo issues and ever Fantastic Four issue till 611 (never got my hands on Marvel Now) and they have comparable prep, in fact Reed has some outstanding prep.

I dont see Starlin writing it as a factor, unless you can quote some story arc where Thanos with prep is handled with lot less respect.

No the point is the writer dictates the story, the writers creation just so happens to be the star. It is a factor. The Writer is God. Thanos' greatest achievements are all under one writer.  Annihilation and Thanos Imperative were far less impressive, because of different writers

2 things:

Infinity Well being in Death's realm is inconsequential because it was never Death who gave him the knoweledge, it was Thanos seeing knoweledge. Just unlike us normal folks he did not good, he went and asked the Infinity Well.

It matters because he only gained the gems due to the well that was in her realm.

Thanos has in fact used the well against Death wish during Infinity Abyss.

Its wasnt about Champions have intellectual feat (Grandmaster for one actually does) but overcoming great odds, like being able to take the gem off Inbetween a being as power as Galactus (Which he did via plot but lets pretend its prep :p )

Ha well like I said I respect it, the fact he got them, just don't see it as a colossal feat.

Again inconsequential.

I am not even potraying The End as a feat for Thanos, what i am however using that is to show how 2 approach an incident. One tries to steal power from a being who already is powerful, examples: Beyonder (both pre and post retcon), Silver Surfer, Galactus, Odin etc, while the other goes for a power source Cosmic cube, synthetic gem, infinity gauntlet, heart of the universe.

One was guided to the power the writer intended for him to have. Like CitizenBane said. It all but dropped into Thanos' lap anyways... Thanos goes for Artifacts and Doom for people. I stand by my statement that if each switched places Doom would have no issue achieving the same thing as Thanos.

Also in Marvel The End, Thanos did something he claims TOAA couldnt do ;) so yeah

Ha in The End Thanos explains that he was a tool. As a matter of fact, the only way to fix the issue was for Thanos to restart the Universe. (Lame and Ironic)

Point me to the thread will you? I am one of the biggest Warlock fan and have every of his appearence in my collection (apart from Annihilation: Earthfall) and Thanos has never been shown to be scared of Magus or Warlock, let alone tremble in fear.

If there is one, i am 100% its out of context, given Thanos has actually fought and beaten both of them, in seperate occasion.

Thanos has a connection with Warlock, during Final Threat (Thanos second major event) Warlock emerges from the synthetic gem, the thing was the gem had Thanos's life history in it, something Warlock shared.

Thanos knows warlock better than Warlock and vice versa. They however are not even in the same powerful level, Warlock as well as Magus are weaker than Thanos.

I'll PM them to you if I come across them. I just thought it was interesting.

Point me to what i said was wrong ?

No Caption Provided

Doom lost because after Magus had IG he was untouchable by Doom's class, Thanos/ Warlock could because Reality Gem meant Thanos had the ability to fight back, and similar between Warlock and Magus ment they could share the power of IG as long as they touch each other.

Death never backed Thanos, after all Death was scared of In Betweener and it was her grudge against In betweener why Death let Thanos go against the elders.

Shes certainly in his corner all the time.

The prep feat was he overcame impossible odds, became a god, outsmarted people who were known as the smartest in the universe (Grand Master) , as well to cement the position that when Thanos sets out to do something he does.

Reed, Doom, HE could all top that. But it's still impressive

I dont get it, Doom tried to pull a fast one on him but failed, also you are missing the point that it was Warlock who manipulated each of the abstract to finally get them to make IG work.

No. Doom was in the process of getting it before LT turned the power on and he got Blasted.

I'm saying when Thanos has omnipotence of the IG he used Death's Infinity Well to get a headstart and initiated the idea of the Gauntlet. Doom was fu**ed in my opinion because of the writers obvious love for

As per Doom he does have feats, and his feats have been different, i respect Doom, always have, but keep them in different regards.

Likewise.

Phoenix and Classic Strange are for reasons unknown to me, overblown on comicvine.

Agreed!

See it like this.

Like you said Reed and Doom do not aspire universal dominance. With all things even I believe Doom could do the same things as Thanos and Vice/Verca (Except the magic things like defeating Le Fay or Dormammu with magic)

Great debating btw.

Classic Strange hasnt done jack to suggest he is better at prep than either Reed, Doom or Thanos, nothing. Not sure why he is overblown.

Strange defeated In-between, Galactus 3 times with the same spell. Fought of Dormammu and Shuma Gorath, and was respected by the PR Beyonder who stated that Strange was the most powerful person in the multiverse. Thats a big feat.

Thanos > Doom in prep, because Thanos has better resources and better powerful, if we even the odds then yes i think they are about equal, both however pale against Reed, who seem to be create whatever you want. Galactus is a problem, well here's anti-galactus robot, he created that off panel. Franklin's reality warping power is a problem, here's a collar to subside his powers, created on a fly, Magneto is a problem, he created a gun to nullify his powers.

Hahaha I agree with the Reed part but I must agree to disagree because Dooms feats are just as good if not better than Thanos' in my opinion. 

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By pooty

@Supermanwithatan01: @I_am_Warlock:

click on this link to see the scan that is being misinterpreted. Thanos had killed warlock. He was surprised that he came back to life. On top of that Warlock was seething with power from an unmentioned source. He turned Thanos to stone. A power Warlock never had before and never had again. So for about 2 seconds of PIS, thanos was scared of Warlock.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=warlock+turning+thanos+to+stone&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=w9X&sa=X&tbo=d&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&biw=1366&bih=624&tbm=isch&tbnid=EdY0kGOltrjxWM:&imgrefurl=http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles/7/thanos-vs-dbz-villains/535585/&docid=qyLz_xMs2iuQ2M&imgurl=http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/7604/1171094-798706_stone_super_super.jpg&w=600&h=889&ei=oF__UOiJEpG-2AX-hIDQAw&zoom=1

SMXLR8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#70  Edited By SMXLR8

Why did 9 people quote me ?O_o

Hyper_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By Hyper_God

@CitizenBane said:

An unwillingness to accept any kind of inadequacy on his own part is perfectly in character for Victor.

As for Thanos, I've never regarded his HOTU-acquiring feat as something impressive prep-wise ------ he basically stumbled upon it by accident without even knowing what he was looking for. The Defenders were accompanying Thanos on that trip. If one of them, say Namor, had wandered off and managed to find the room with the HOTU, I doubt any of us would be holding that up as an example of Namor the prep master.

While he is admittedly an arrogant , egomaniacal jackass , he did admit intellectual inferiority to Reed in the Spider-Man retelling of the Secret Wars .

Thanos had actually been on the lookout for the powerful artifact in order to prevent his enemies from acquiring it so they could wreck their vengeance upon him . That point was noted by both the Silver Surfer and Dr Strange and both commented on how Thanos hadn't really reformed at all when he revealed it to them . Plus the fact that he mastered the whole artifact just based on his will alone , while it took people Akhenaten and the Celestial Order several millennia to master just portions of its power , is also telling .

@CitizenBane said:

It wasn't really a stroke of luck if one recalls the deal Val made with him while convincing him to sacrifice himself in order to delay the Mad Celestials . And nobody dropped the IG on him : he was in the Bridge when the Mad Celestials supposedly "killed" him , he was still in the bridge when he woke up , only in the Council HQ now , laying next to corpses of 2 of the Reeds who had possessed those alternate IGs .

As far as the IG is concerned , the most ridiculous stroke of luck is the Hood not just learning about them and seeking them out , it's the Hood also achieving partial success(before being defeated) in his quest .

Hyper_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Hyper_God

@dondave: @Killemall: I don't get it . Thanos : Son of Titan is a retelling of Thanos' origin . Which solo are you guys talking about ?

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#73  Edited By Killemall

@Hyper_God said:

@dondave: @Killemall: I don't get it . Thanos : Son of Titan is a retelling of Thanos' origin . Which solo are you guys talking about ?

Thanos: Son of titan was cancelled, the new story (which is still the origin of Thanos) is called Thanos Rising.

We think it might shows us what power level Thanos is going to be in the Avengers movie, as the story is direct prelude to the avengers movie.

Hyper_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Hyper_God

@Killemall said:

Thanos: Son of titan was cancelled, the new story (which is still the origin of Thanos) is called Thanos Rising.

We think it might shows us what power level Thanos is going to be in the Avengers movie, as the story is direct prelude to the avengers movie.

Thanos : Rising is basically the same thing as Thanos : Son of Titan . Even though I know that the original series got cancelled , I'll still refer it as Son of Titan because Rising is just going to be re-titling of the series .

I doubt it . If anything , Avengers Assemble would probably end up being referenced for the Thanos/Avengers confrontation .

lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom > Thanos

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos wins

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is against the rules I believe.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frisky4 said:

This is against the rules I believe.

I believe he's taken his powers before. I could be wrong though.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#81  Edited By bobandjim1260

@killemall: I don't think Thanos Rising is the prelude for the cinematic version of Thanos. The first thing to mention about it is that we haven't seen the movie Thanos do anything yet. I guess I'm not seeing how it portrays is power levels yet. He will be de-powered in the movies. However, it probably won't just be the Avengers fighting him, as many sources have implied. Regardless of power, I hope they capture his intelligence and personality more so than giving him a ton of power to just beat up the Avengers. I feel they still have room to introduce the abstracts and expand on the celestials. Especially with GOTG 2 and Doctor Strange coming out. It's been a while since 'Thanos Rising' has been released. Is your opinion of it being a prelude to the Avengers 2 still a foundation that you're willing to bet on? If it is, can you guys supply proof? Just curious, because if it is I really feel that they're going to get his character wrong. Also, Doom wins only because he has prep and Thanos does not.

bobandjim1260

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@supermanwithatan01: While I agree that Doctor Doom would win this battle, I would like to counter the claim made by everyone about Marvel's The End. While Thanos did admit he was guided to the Heart. It seems to me that Jim Starlin was going for a more philosophical interpretation. I think Thanos came to realize that almost everything anyone does is guided by TOAA. Maybe his actions with the Infinity Gauntlet were also guided by TOAA. While it is incorrect to assume something not based on panel, I will say that Thanos being guided by TOAA certainly doesn't mean much when TOAA practically guides all things. I think Thanos just came to the realization that his fate was in the hands of a being he could never hope to surpass. Some people have even interpreted it as the writer. Anyway, that's my two cents on that.

FableCounty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

feats from Doom with Surfer powers?

Goldchamp101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos

ArrowheadDip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ArrowheadDip

Literally just the location is going to give Thanos a problem, it's Doom's own home base, dammit.

And if I remember correctly, that place is so loaded of traps and stuff that Doom knows about, that Thanos is going to have a hard time.

And I'm not even lowballing Thanos, because under some writers (Lookin at you, Bendis), Thanos sucks. And under THIS idiot writer, he somehow got hit by SPIDER-MAN.

Who the hell wrote this crap? Logically, he'd grab Spiderman's legs and pretty much do this:
Who the hell wrote this crap? Logically, he'd grab Spiderman's legs and pretty much do this:

No Caption Provided

So really it depends on the writer. But I'd have to side with Doom on this one.

BrockTheRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dr. Doom wins, he can always go back to magic or the cosmic cube.

mr-luxcipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos.

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS as in Silver Surfer or Sorcerer Supreme?

He's had both.