Follow

Catman

Character » Catman appears in 271 issues.

A renowned hunter turned bumbling villain, Thomas Blake lived with a lion pride in the wild to rediscover himself. Now more deadly and resourceful, Catman has become one of the world's premier hunters and trackers. The first appearance of Catman is Detective Comics 311.

DCnU News on Catman!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

Edited By Mercy_
    B'Town

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By B'Town

I was just about to go to bed when I noticed you had uploaded these screen captures.

I am sooooo happy, you made my day. Week. Heck MONTH. I have missed Catman so much and Scandal too. Really all of them. Ohhhh. I have to go to sleep now, but thank you so very much for this good news.

YaYaYaY

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2  Edited By cosmo111687

:D!

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Mercy_

@cosmo111687: ^___^

@B'Town: Me toooooo. I seriously hope this "secret" book she's talking about has to do with the Secret Six.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Awwh yeyish!! Awwh I miss Secret Six so much!! 

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By entropy_aegis

What's with Simone's fetish for making all her favourites bisexual? she said Black Canary was bisexual and now Catman,Winick also said that Jason is bisexual.I would'nt mind if they were either gay or straight but bisexual is becoming a lazy plot device to satisfy a writers own personal fantasy.

And i doubt i'll be reading SS when it comes back,no Bane,Deadshot or even King Shark=no sale.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By fodigg

@entropy_aegis said:

What's with Simone's fetish for making all her favourites bisexual? she said Black Canary was bisexual and now Catman,Winick also said that Jason is bisexual.I would'nt mind if they were either gay or straight but bisexual is becoming a lazy plot device to satisfy a writers own personal fantasy.

And i doubt i'll be reading SS when it comes back,no Bane,Deadshot or even King Shark=no sale.

Actually Gail just responded to this type of argument to a gay fan on twitter. The fan said something along the lines of "I'm Gail Simone and I make every character gay for no reason." Gail's response was basically "Why would anyone need a reason to be gay? People are just gay. Why is straight the default?" I agree with her. Straight is certainly more common but I don't see why an author needs to have a reason or argument for making a character gay.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By entropy_aegis

@fodigg said:

@entropy_aegis said:

Actually Gail just responded to this type of argument to a gay fan on twitter. The fan said something along the lines of "I'm Gail Simone and I make every character gay for no reason." Gail's response was basically "Why would anyone need a reason to be gay? People are just gay. Why is straight the default?" I agree with her. Straight is certainly more common but I don't see why an author needs to have a reason or argument for making a character gay.

There is a difference here,these are her 2 most favourite characters,Dinah by her own admission and Catman if you ever saw how she writes him.But really i don't care much about Catman and Dinah is no longer being written by Simone.It was something i noticed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

When was Catman bisexual before?
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By entropy_aegis

@Jake Fury said:

He was'nt.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jake Fury said:

He was'nt.

To be fair, this is literally an entire new universe. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jake Fury said:

He was'nt.

I didn't think so. I've read most of Secret 6 and didn't remember.
    entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By entropy_aegis

@InnerVenom123 said:

@entropy_aegis said:

@Jake Fury said:

He was'nt.

To be fair, this is literally an entire new universe. :P

LOL,she can turn him in to an 8 legged mutant for all i care but like i said i noticed a pattern here which makes me wonder if the writer is doing it for diversity,stories or for some personal reason.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By daredevil21134

@entropy_aegis: Judd Winick never said Jason was bisexual, he said he couldn't answer that

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fodigg

@entropy_aegis: Does it matter if the stories were good? Were people pissed that Winick kept introducing characters with HIV after his good friend died of it? That was a personal reason, but if the stories were good I don't see how it matters.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ClawFist

Hmm... awe man... Catman Bisexual? I can't get behind that. Not for the sake of bisexuality but just because. There are certain things you picture your favorite characters, your less open to change but thats because there is a reason why that individual is your favorite character. When I see Catman I just can't see him being bisexual, I like Daken, that guys awesome, I like Batwoman who's a lesbian, she's awesome, I like Scandal Savage, Knockout, they're all awesome but Catman as my favorite DC character and for what I've seen I just can't see him being bisexual. Maybe Gail Simone can change my mind on this, she's the one that got me into the character in the first place with Villains United and Secret Six so who knows. In all honesty I was hoping for Catman to make an awesome comeback and have some of that awesome On Again Off Again relationship with Huntress thats so popular with Batman and Catwoman but for now I must stay painfully skeptical and give a deep sigh... I hope his comeback outfit is awesome

Avatar image for monitor_earthprime
    monitor_earthprime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Gail does a Secret Six I will pick it up. I loved what she did wth Catman and I can see the bi-sexuality. In the animal kingdom this happens more than you would ever think. It just there form of domination, so I can see Catman going bi.

EnSabahNurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EnSabahNurX

=_= kind of bored with the sexuality altering, I mean for some characters it really seems random but as long as she avoids the daken route of just being a slut im pretty much ok with it, i guess. I feel like comics are on sexuality overload: they used to be straight now they are gay, or bi or now they are straight but just overly promiscuous. Just for a change i want to see a gay character realize they're straight imagine the outrage from people saying that it's impossible lol but it would be a different view point. Then we would have covered every angle of sexuality and all that would be left is transgendered

Hope she avoids the coming out(half way out) storyline and just makes it part of his character and that it's understood, I can't read another revelation story O_O Fingers crossed lol

Weird DC wants to be more diverse but aside from bunker they aren't really making it racially diverse, they seem to be going for sexuality instead.

RScottH08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RScottH08
    @The Dark Huntress
    Idk how you do it, but u manage to find some awsome news, a possible secret six sounds awsome!!!
    Hit_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Hit_Monkey

This is my favourite thing ever.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#20  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @EnSabahNurX said:

=_= kind of bored with the sexuality altering, I mean for some characters it really seems random but as long as she avoids the daken route of just being a slut im pretty much ok with it, i guess. I feel like comics are on sexuality overload: they used to be straight now they are gay, or bi or now they are straight but just overly promiscuous. Just for a change i want to see a gay character realize they're straight imagine the outrage from people saying that it's impossible lol but it would be a different view point. Then we would have covered every angle of sexuality and all that would be left is transgendered

Hope she avoids the coming out(half way out) storyline and just makes it part of his character and that it's understood, I can't read another revelation story O_O Fingers crossed lol

Weird DC wants to be more diverse but aside from bunker they aren't really making it racially diverse, they seem to be going for sexuality instead.

Why do you think it's not racially diverse?
    lady_toyano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By lady_toyano

@EnSabahNurX: I seriously laughed and spun in my chair when you said "as long as she avoids the Daken route of just being a slut". I truthfully enjoy reading Daken and his many ways because he represents the type of character in comics that you don't get any perspective from. He wasn't meant to be portrayed as an upstanding citizen, but in no way does being the type of person who sleeps with whomever they please effect their heroic or villian aptitude for either category. That's just something picked up from popular opinion and hardwired in the brain. I mean if Superman liked to party with grandmas, that wouldn't make him any less of a hero (just probably something you could do without knowing that he does in his spare time) when he is saving the world. I really don't see what anyone does in the bedroom between consenting people of age should have anything to do with how good they save people or how bad of a threat they are.

I can see your frustration on how things have become so hinged on the sexuality of characters though which is something I have been noticing a lot recently. It's two fold for me because I'm excited to see high profile folks of the LGBT spectrum getting fairer representation in comics. The major press releases and exposure seem silly and unnecessary when hyped so much, but the only way that many of the people searching for relatable characters to find them is through these media outlets. At the same time, before these characters even debut, there is so much focus on sexuality that many people only look at, or completely ignore those characters because of orientation instead of reading the stories they take part in and finding out about them through story progression.

Personally anything that generates attention to comics and gets folks talking can lead to people wanting to check them out. If people check them our then there is a chance they will like them and thus increase comic fandom (you know once you start reading one title more are on the way) and reach a wider audience, it's a win-win down the road.

Also on the note of diversity, they have been trying a bit I will say, but the titles they are doing it with have not been profiled nearly as much as the ones based on orientation. They also have been mostly in new, obscure, or niche fandom titles, so probably went under the radar to many. If you don't read much besides the heavy hitters in DC, it would seem like not a whole lot of progression is going on (and honestly that's where it needs to be happening if people are to take note). I have noticed as an ebony skinned woman that they made Skitter for the Teen Titans and added Solstice to the team as well, rebooted Voodoo, gave Batwing his own serious in Africa, Put Fatality as the representative for the Star Sapphire knights in Green Lantern New Guardians, put Cyborg as a main in Justice League, Gave Mr. Terrific his own series (cancelled) and Rebooted Static Shock (cancelled). They have also started The Ray mini monthly series. There is also the newest Robin (Damian) because his mother is Talia, but it's not like you can really tell because he isn't usually illustrated looking like a mixture of the two ethnicities of his parents, but he is biracial.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.