Follow

Batman

Character » Batman appears in 23658 issues.

Bruce Wayne, who witnessed the murder of his billionaire parents as a child, swore to avenge their deaths. He trained extensively to achieve mental and physical perfection, mastering martial arts, detective skills, and criminal psychology. Costumed as a bat to prey on the fears of criminals, and utilizing a high-tech arsenal, he became the legendary Batman.

Forgive my naivety, but what are comic book characters supposed to represent anyway?

kmb501

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kmb501

I've heard people cite representation of societal flaws as an excuse for not fully developing certain comic book characters that are supposed to be villains. Do comic book villains still only represent societal flaws? Is that why they don't get character development, because they have to change as society changes?

I'm thinking mainly of Batman's rogues gallery, namely the Joker, and I'm wondering how some characters, like Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy, made the switch to anti-heroes, whereas other villains, like the Joker and Two-Face have remained, and probably will remain, villains.

Personally, I think it would be nice to experiment with all of them as anti-heroes in main continuity, or if not, at least allow the villains to be theatrical and over-the-top, especially the Joker, so that they're more like someone playing a villain on TV than someone who is actually a villain.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.