Follow

Thundercats

Team » Thundercats appears in 221 issues.

The Thundercats are a group of anthropomorphic felines who fight with The Mutants in the fictional Third Earth world. They are led by Lion-O. Recently they have had books published under Wildstorm.

Will the New Thundercats Cartoon Stand Up to the Original?

• 79 results
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Out of all those wacky, high-concept cartoons I watched as a kid in the 80s, one of them really stuck out: Thundercats. I don't know what it was about the show, but I couldn't get enough of it, and as an adult (or man-child... you make the call), I own all of the original series, and I still think it holds up as a good show overall. Recently, however, Cartoon Network picked a new Thundercats series up. Hopefully, you've seen the trailer for it. If not, you can view it here
    Now that you've watched it, I have a few questions on my mind: Who is this geared towards? What seems to be the big differences? Is this a good idea?

No Caption Provided
    == TEASER ==
     I hope he still yells
     I hope he still yells "HOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
    The first time I saw the sketches for the characters, I was a bit bummed out. Why remake this show? It didn't make sense to me. After I saw the trailer, I was a bit more pumped, but a thought occurred in my tiny, fan-boy brain: Who is this show geared towards?

Reboots of cartoon classics don't seem to last too long. G.I. Joe seems to get a new series every other week, then it disappears into the vault of 80s reboot failures. Same thing happened to Masters of the Universe, which was infinitely better than the original show, but after a season, it too was gone. Now we have this new Thundercats show, and while I, a 29 man-boy, thinks this show looks cool, but are kids going to go for this? 

The primary audience for the vast majority of cartoons is children; the adults that watch it are just a nice buffer in the ratings for most shows.  Will Thundercats appeal to kids the same way Ben 10 has over the past few years? It's hard to tell, but we do know that a couple 80s favorites have failed in the past.. As cool as this show may seem, I have a bad feeling the ratings just won't be there to keep the show going.

I'm still attracted to her.... I regret nothing.
     I'm still attracted to her.... I regret nothing.
    There's obviously going to be some differences between the two series. This shouldn't shock anyone. However, one big difference, that I'm just getting from this trailer is that this series doesn't seem to take place on Third Earth. The story seems to take place entirely on Thundara. So, assuming that, does that mean the planet isn't destroyed, and we'll get a whole series on the planet of the Thundercats? If so, color me excited! I always thought it was a bit of a cop-out in the original series when they wanted to bring in Bengali, Lynx-O, and Pumyra. They just had them appear and said "look! other survivors!" Even as a kid, I felt I was being cheated of a real back story. Obviously, the design for the characters has also changed, and all the characters' wardrobes have a bit more of a medieval feel to it, instead of sexy sexy spandex. (I'm talking to you, Cheetara)

I didn't know it was possible to make Tygra look more awesome.
     I didn't know it was possible to make Tygra look more awesome.
    One thing I'm very pleased to see is that the show still done in an Asian animation style, just like the original series. Yes, the animation is more contemporary, but that was one element of the show I felt made Thundercats stand above many other American-style animated shows. It had style: sexy-cat style. And it wasn't a type of style, aside from Silverhawks, Americans were very familiar with.

That being said, this trailer, compared to the original series, really hits the message home of the heroes' journey as Lion-O must accept the call to arms and lead his people. It looks as though this series will be a bit more epic than the last one. Will the Mutants and Mumm-Ra be working together? Will Lion-O's father die? Wait... Will Jaga die and become all "ghost forcey" like Obi-Wan?

Well... not all the redesigns can be winners.
     Well... not all the redesigns can be winners.
    When I first heard about this show being remade, I flipped out like a 14 year old girl who got dumped by her boyfriend, but with more crying. This was something I felt was sacred to me and my child hood. Even when I saw the first designs for the characters, I thought it was a bit ridiculous. However, after watching the trailer, like 50 times, I feel strongly about this television show that not only can it win over old fans, but maybe, just maybe, it can bring some younger viewers into the mix. I have high hopes for this, and I hope the rest of the old Thundercats fans do as well.

According to a few other sites, the Thundercats reboot will be hitting the Cartoon Netowrk airwaves this summer. Do you think this show will do well? What do you like, love, or hate about it? How much do you hate Snarf?

~Mat "inferiorego" Elfring is a comedian, teacher, writer, and comic store employee.
    Follow his crazy ramblings on twitter: @ inferiorego
    Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Green Skin

If you remove the nostalgia value of the original I think the new one will turn out to be better.  It seems to have a more in depth plot and backstory.  That being said I'm sure we'll see tons of folks who hate it because (Insert stupid reason here), before they even watch it.  I hope it does well, it looks promising.

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

#2  Edited By GothamRed

Maybe Pantro's redesign will look better in action.

Though I feel the skepticism about the show is similar to how fans reacted to the 2003 TMNT show, which one could argue (one like me) was better than the original, but to each there own.  Even if the show winds up being totally different, that doesn't mean it'll suck, it just means it's different.  I think this will work out fine, I mean I liked the 2002 He-man reboot, so who knows.
    HometownHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By HometownHero

I definitely think the show has massive possibilities if it's handled right. They seem to have a pretty kickass voice cast, the designs are (mostly) sticking pretty close to the original, and I've barely seen Snarf at all! I'm always willing to give a new animated show a chance, and I try to keep up on them, and I have to say, the potential for this show is high.

CRTrobinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By CRTrobinson
    @Green Skin: I couldn't agree more.  It is unfortunate that people will not give the new show a decent chance simply because they are too blinded over their love for the original.  It is nice when old shows get upgrades and make an attempt to stay some what familiar with the source material.  Lets face it, if the original was perfect it would still be on the air.  Change is refreshing.  

On a second note did anyone else hear the Silverhawks bird scream during the new trailer for the Thundercats?  Maybe I am delirious but I thought I heard it.
    ZephyrX26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ZephyrX26

i read somewhere that it takes place on third earth and that thundara is a mighty nation...eh...

still, i have hopes for this new series.

tigerex78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tigerex78

Many of us forget that the shows during the 80s were cool when we were kids, but don't seem so cool now.  I am always excited when a show from my childhood gets a reboot, I want my kids to see the reboot and see what I saw in the show when I was a kid.  After watching the preview I think it looks good.  I like the changes and I'm interested to learn where they will be taking the series. 

Red Rum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Red Rum

This article didn't mention the adorable new designs for Wily Kit and Wily Kat.

Chane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Chane

Wow, actually looks pretty decent / faithful to the original.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @Red Rum said:
    " This article didn't mention the adorable new designs for Wily Kit and Wily Kat. "
    they always annoyed me
    InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By InnerVenom123

No Caption Provided
    Scarlet_Rogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Scarlet_Rogue

this is going to be good

SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SupremoMaximo

i never realized that Chetarra looked like she just woke up in a trailer park after a 23 hour binder and her 18th pack of cigarettes.

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Crazy Pan

I think it'll be good :) But I didn't watch the old one so I don't have anything to compare to :P

Avatar image for fortressofthemoon
    FortressoftheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh hell now my dad and Osiris's dad is going to be bitchin how the show removed the black guy for a russian guy to be Panthro since both our dads watched the old Thundercats show.

I can't wait to hear what Osisris dad has to say.

Me personally I hope they don't redo the old episodes I swear if there is a remake of the episode where Liono and Snarf goes out to space to find some Space Tacos. I kid you not someone will get beaned in the face with a floating red turtleshell.

Bestostero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Bestostero

doubt it'll be as good as the original, but im sure it wont be too bad

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cattlebattle

never beat the original

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Fantasgasmic
    @Green Skin said:

" If you remove the nostalgia value of the original I think the new one will turn out to be better.  It seems to have a more in depth plot and backstory.  That being said I'm sure we'll see tons of folks who hate it because (Insert stupid reason here), before they even watch it.  I hope it does well, it looks promising. "

I concur. I first saw Thundercats in the late 80s/90s when I was was young and we had taped them (and the "movie" where those new thundercats show up) off the tv with that newfangled VCR. About 10 years later, in my mid/late teens, Toonami started showing it and i was able to DVR it or watch it on demand. I gotta admit, some of the episodes I remembered as being awesome were pretty stupid. My love was confirmed as being based off nostalgia, and the toys (my friends always came to play thundercats at my house because we had the Cat's Lair AND the Thundertank... when I was 5 that is, not 17) which were pretty hardcore awesome for a kids show (I mean you had generic sword fighting, monsters, samurais, pirates, robots, and space, sometimes more than one at once. All the categories of awesome for a 5-8 year old boy).
    tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By tensor

hell no

Duo_forbidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 604

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Duo_forbidden

I honestly think this reboot can stand up to the original. The trailer looked amazing. Most 80 cartoon reboots were pretty good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Having watched the entire 80's series as a kid I can say I don't like watching them now. The animation, storylines, random plot twists, strange concepts and a bit of undertoned adult humor and situations just don't hold up to an adult viewing. But as others have said, as a kid (5-8) it was awesome.

What I get from this trailer is the show will be geared a bit older in age than a typical 5-8 year old. This is not necessarily a bad thing because of one simple fact......kids are watching cartoons longer these days then they did when I grew up. As a teacher my students are well into their teens and are still talking about animated shows and things that I would have stopped watching and would have thought they would have stopped watching at an earlier age.

I think a reason for that is because cartoons and animation today have images and themes that are more mature than the cartoons of my youth and so people stay with them over a longer period of time. This is probably an influence of anime and the themes from those shows that have been translated into American equivalents.

So I think this show could do well if it keeps a more mature theme (in concept if not always in dialog) and the trailer seems to point to that. The nation of the cat's is destroyed by the lizards and mutants and Lion-O (as the now exiled prince) seeks to defeat these enemies, free his people and reclaim his kingdom.

Oh, and the trailer itself states that in this version the planet is called Third Earth and the cat nation is called Thundara. Thus why the major characters from the 80's show can all be on this one (albeit with tweaks) without having to switch planets.

I think what I like the most of this new series is the fact that Cheetara, Tygra and Panthro will act more as mentors and teachers to Lion-O rather than just subordinates because he will be drawn and portrayed as a teenager/young adult rather than aging to adulthood during the escape flight like in the original show. This will bring a bit of tension to the show because they have to follow Lion-O's orders (given he's the prince) and some may not like that or respect him at first but at the same time we'll see Lion-O grow and mature as the series progresses.

Green Skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Green Skin
    @FortressoftheMoon said:
    "

Oh hell now my dad and Osiris's dad is going to be bitchin how the show removed the black guy for a russian guy to be Panthro since both our dads watched the old Thundercats show.

What?  FIrst, where did you read that Panthro would be russian?  Second, how is Panthro a black guy?  They're cats dude, they do not share human skin colors or ethnicity.   Not to mention that if Pantro is supposedly black, what does that make the rest of them?  Honestly dude trying to apply race to cartoon cat people just seems ridiculous to me.
    SevanGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By SevanGrim

i dont think itlk stand up...  but it might not suck. snarf's entire race shoukd be wiped out episode 1. 

im excited though. i was young when i saw thundercats, so i onky have fleating memories of the awesome. as long as its decent, ill love it
    Spiderslike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Spiderslike

I hope this does well because I was able to catch a couple of episodes of Thundercats on rerun and although I defiantly see the silliness of the show I remember why I liked it as a kid. Honestly I'm worried about how fans will react to Lion-O. I think a big part of what made the show work was that children saw an adult male who was really just a little boy with all this power and leadership and made them feel like they could do it to or it was something they hoped for, but him being a teenager is kinda a mix of the two different ages but I'm not sure it will go over well because that hope factor is lost. Also I think based of his age the target audience is pre-teens to teens which I think is a mistake. 

To me Thundercats cannot survive a teenage audience at all. The concept is too strange and won't be accepted. I also think the lack of Panthro is an attempt to avoid the assumption that he's the token black guy which I never even thought about till people started talking about it like that. I was just too young. In the end I feel like this will go the way of all other 80's reboot and fail simply because it just can't maintain a good audience or doesn't even know what it's audience is.
    sweatboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#24  Edited By sweatboy
    @GothamRed said:

" Maybe Pantro's redesign will look better in action.

Though I feel the skepticism about the show is similar to how fans reacted to the 2003 TMNT show, which one could argue (one like me) was better than the original, but to each there own.  Even if the show winds up being totally different, that doesn't mean it'll suck, it just means it's different.  I think this will work out fine, I mean I liked the 2002 He-man reboot, so who knows.
    "

As long as Panthro keeps his nunchucks he'll be cool. Yeah the new turtles totally kicked the old Fred Wolf cartoon's ass.  It took more time getting used to,.. actually i liked the intro as soon as i saw it, and the fact that Usagi, from the comics, made more appearances AND everything was more like the comics, it was better. Wonder how NICK will do. But yeah Cartoon Network'  where it's at dude! 
    @inferiorego: ha ha ha i sure do love reading your articles man

Also, trailer starts with Mumm Ra's wall painting or something. Mumm Ra was first encountered in 3rd earth, so how does the Kryptonians,...i mean Thundareans know of him? Maybe like in the Biker Mice re boot this is AFTER they go BACK after the old series, if that makes sense. The sword's ruined though, :( but,...let's see how we feel like... 3 weeks into this show
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @sweatboy said:
    " @GothamRed said:

"
    As long as Panthro keeps his nunchucks he'll be cool. Yeah the new turtles totally kicked the old Fred Wolf cartoon's ass.  It took more time getting used to,.. actually i liked the intro as soon as i saw it, and the fact that Usagi, from the comics, made more appearances AND everything was more like the comics, it was better. Wonder how NICK will do. But yeah Cartoon Network'  where it's at dude! 

@inferiorego: ha ha ha i sure do love reading your articles man
    "
    I want to hate the fact it's coming back, but I really like the trailer. I've been diggin on lots of cartoon networks shows and I finally got around to Young Justice and I love it. Thanks for reading sir!
    KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#26  Edited By KRYPTON

It's more of a teenage perspective on the Thundercats. 

CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By CrimsonAvenger

IE, you seriously cried when you heard of this remake? Anyways I'm still excited, I've only seen a few episodes of the original but I loved it. I'll admit I never liked the original designs because Lion-O's costume was a bathing suit and Cheetarra's was ugly and as was the character. Why did you bring up Snart? We've all tried so hard to forget about him and now we can't.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " IE, you seriously cried when you heard of this remake? Anyways I'm still excited, I've only seen a few episodes of the original but I loved it. I'll admit I never liked the original designs because Lion-O's costume was a bathing suit and Cheetarra's was ugly and as was the character. Why did you bring up Snart? We've all tried so hard to forget about him and now we can't. "
    I'm incapable of crying. I'm a robot
    CrimsonAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By CrimsonAvenger
    @inferiorego said:
    " @CrimsonAvenger said:
    " IE, you seriously cried when you heard of this remake? Anyways I'm still excited, I've only seen a few episodes of the original but I loved it. I'll admit I never liked the original designs because Lion-O's costume was a bathing suit and Cheetarra's was ugly and as was the character. Why did you bring up Snart? We've all tried so hard to forget about him and now we can't. "
    I'm incapable of crying. I'm a robot "
    We seem to have a lot of robots on here these days, not sure if it's a good or a bad thing though.
    Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

Classicist fanboys aside, I have faith in this series so far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cd905fc97
    deactivated-5a98cd905fc97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the original series when I was a youngster.  Having watched the old series again as an adult, I found it to be still very cool, but rife with childishly simplistic plots for the majority of the series.  (With some exceptions.)  I don't see the original with an entirely nostalgic eye.

The animation style and character designs of the original are, to my tastes, better..  They were more unique than these modern versions, which seem to be generic anime cat people.  This isn't to say that I hate the character designs that they are presenting, however, and perhaps the show will do very well, what with many of todays shows having more complex, and on-going plots.  I'm going to keep hoping that it will turn out okay.  There's promise here, and while there are things that I don't like as much about the new version, it could turn out rather well.
    Glamazon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Glamazon

I'm extremely thrilled that they've chose to remake Thundercats. I loved the show when I was younger, and I think the reboot will live up to the 80s standards.
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Billy Batson

I have never watched thundercats

JonesDeini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By JonesDeini
    @GothamRed: 
    Reboot TMNT was definitely better. I don't like that the character's back story changed. But after getting over that, I'm definitely going to check this out. 
    Doctor!!!!!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#35  Edited By Doctor!!!!!

Super Anime now!
    Sobe Cin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Sobe Cin

After having been able to watch the trailer, I have to say I'm a little impressed. I watched the series as a kid, and we had some of the action figures. But I will say that I like the updated reboot and I look forward to giving it a chance, as long as they air at a time where I will be able to watch the show. I've gotten so sick of the new cartoons coming on television and then the episodes are at every other odd time and don't stick to a normal rutine.

Most cartoons are getting to a point where as an adult I can't stand watching them. Teen Titans, Avengers and Star Wars: The Clone Wars: Are about the only ones that I can stomach. And being that I don't enjoy the humor of Adult Swim line-up I've felt kind of slighted.

Well here is too hoping that the show is good. Even if they run it for only two or so years.

Ninjistic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ninjistic
    @GothamRed said:
    I think this will work out fine, I mean I liked the 2002 He-man reboot, so who knows.
    "
    Thanks for writing my comment for me :)
    maxicere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By maxicere

I don't like this changes... Looks like Pokemon. Characters looks weak, without strength.

nj06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nj06

I really hope that this reboot is received well and is a success. I've been wanting a Thundercats reboot more than the He-man reboot, more than the GI Joe reboot, and more than the Transformers reboot. The trailer looked really great so I hope that the cartoon series does well too. The redesigns look good too. Panthro is keeping it real with those side-burns!

welshguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40  Edited By welshguy

So many thing from my childhood that I remember being awesome turn out to be... less so. Like any Scooby doo cartoon (back when it was always a guy in a suit and not a real monster); the original transformers (though still a lot better than any modern update), the three amigos (God I loved that film and how it does suck now). Thundercats I recall watching religiously and having an awesome intro whose animation quality was far better than the actual show. I haven't seen it in over ten years and I'm hoping that's how it shall remain. Too often I've watched something I used to love only to discover its crap.

To me this new version looks too anime for my liking. Still, I accept this isn't directed toward a 30 year old surly social misfit like me. Seems like its going in a different direction than the original. And I did not see Mumm-Ra so that's a big no-no for me.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By danhimself
    @Green Skin said:
    " @FortressoftheMoon said:
    "

What?  FIrst, where did you read that Panthro would be russian?  Second, how is Panthro a black guy?  They're cats dude, they do not share human skin colors or ethnicity.   Not to mention that if Pantro is supposedly black, what does that make the rest of them?  Honestly dude trying to apply race to cartoon cat people just seems ridiculous to me. "
    dude I know it sounds crazy but almost everybody says that Panthro was black
    Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#42  Edited By Larkin1388

I think the new Thundercats will do just fine... It actually looks better than the original imo.

ripcurl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ripcurl

Can't make a decision without seeing the new Mum-Ra.
    Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Manchine

I think it would of done better to continue the series MANY generations afterwards.  Even looking at the clip.  It looks like it could possible take place  AFTER the original.  If its just a remake its not gonna be as good.  If they ADD on to the series, for example Beast Wars from transformers.  Then that would be good.

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Darkmount1

Your question of who this show is aiming for, I'm sure you already know, can apply to all sorts of things.  This is my theory: action cartoons based on toys were very popular with kids in the 1980's or 1990's.  The figures for toy sales were through the roof, kids everywhere bought the merchandise, end of story.  Once video games became popular, and once Joe Lieberman brought the house down on Saturday morning cartoon standards, let's say that 80% of the kids in America began to turn away from those kinds of shows, and never look back. Those 20% who stayed joined the older fans and collectors in supporting those properties long after the show or toyline goes off the air or aisle. Kids from then on watched without discrimination the shows that weren't toy-based or comic based and were pretty low-quality.  When an old show based on a toy property gets put up for revival, it sometimes is greatly supported by, and usually does well with, the fans who grew up in the 80's watching them, despite the TV networks paying attention to only the ratings.  Once the networks see that ratings aren't good, despite the fan support, they go with the majority (the non-fans) and assume that this isn't what people want to see on TV, so they cancel it after a season or two (or even just a few episodes).  Just to name a few examples of this notion (despite how some of these shows were not liked by some of the fandom):

-DIC's GI Joe cartoon (1989 miniseries, followed by two seasons, 1990-92)

-The New Adventures of He-Man (1990, one season)

-Transformers: Generation 2 (1993 or so, just G1 episode reruns with a computer-animated intro sequence)

-G.I. Joe: Extreme (1996, one season)

-Extreme Ghostbusters (1997, one season)

-Voltron: The Third Dimension (1998, one season)

-Biker Mice from Mars (2006 sequel series, one season on 4Kids! TV)

-GI Joe: Sigma Six (2006, one season)

The two CGI DTV G.I. Joe movies (Spy Troops and Valor Vs Venom) could also be counted as ill-fated revivals, 'cause face it, the only GI Joe TV show to come out during the 'Newsculpt' era (2002-06) was a brief 2002-03 showing of reruns of the original 80's cartoon on Cartoon Network's Toonami block late at night.

The only success stories from this time period (because they attracted fans old and new alike) are:

-Beast Wars Transformers (1996-99, four seasons, and a 1997 Emmy for achievement in animation)

-Beast Machines (2000-01, two seasons and few commercials)

-Transformers: Robots In Disguise (2001-02, two seasons)

-The Mike Young version of Masters of the Universe (2002-04, three seasons)

-I hate to say this, but the Transformers Unicron Trilogy (2002-06, made up of Armada, Energon, and Cybertron, since they could just import and redub the shows from Japan), on account of Hasbro needing a tie-in to the gimmick TF's they were selling at the time.

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003-08, through different retitlings)

-Transformers: Animated (2008-10, three seasons)

Out of all of them, the most popular revivals with new and old alike are those of Transformers, 'cause if it's two things kids like, it's playing with toy cars, and playing with toy robots, and seeing your car robots on TV makes it even more cool for them.

DMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#46  Edited By DMC
    @InnerVenom123 said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    LOL
    SupremoMaximo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By SupremoMaximo
      I hope the Ro-Bear pimp will be in it.    
    Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Manchine
    @Darkmount1 said:

Forgot about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  Although they waited almost 20 years before the remake.  They weren't as Silly/childish.
    csimon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By csimon

IN One Word  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Crazy Pan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#50  Edited By Crazy Pan

No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.